• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was Onizuka. Get it right.

GTO? More like GTFO. Don't tell me how to live my life, GMN. Life comes at you fast, just like a raging current. I don't fight it. Going against the flow just means you're swimming in place. One day you are too tired to paddle and suddenly you drown. The whole thing was pointless and now you're dead. The end. No, going with the flow is where it's at. And that's the Dandy Schadenfreude way to live.

Bleach was actually pretty good last night, I don't get the people who refuse to watch but still post 'lol bleach sux' in this thread.

Bleach definitely has its low points which I can admit are borderline unwatchable, but the highs are really good stuff. The animation this arc has been great, there's been plenty of action, nothing stupid has happened, the storyline isn't convulted, and Kageroza is a cool mysterious (although horribly designed) villain. The only things I think you could legit complain about are the Kon bullshit and VO.

The Bleach hate is starting to get a little out of hand; it's almost reaching SAO levels where the show is shit on for 30 minutes regardless of what is going on. I don't care if you give Bleach a fair shake every week and conclude that it's not good, but I do get annoyed at the people who come in with a preconceived opinion and are overly negative all the time.

Just my 2 cents.

Ratings for this week

One Piece
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
FLCL
GitS
Bleach
InuYasha
Space Dandy
Naruto Shippuden
Sao
Clone Wars
Soul eater
Igpx
Naruto

One Piece, FMA:B, and FLCL were god like as usual. GitS surprised me this week and that ending was too good. Bleach was also a lot better then people give it credit for, fights were enjoyable across the board. InuYasha spent too much time focused on Gun guy and Kikyo talk no jutsu on saint hakuray but ended really hype. Space Dandy wasn't as funny this week even if animation was stellar and space pops was great. Shippuden is in set up mode, sao had a great first half and awful second half, clone wars was okay, soul eater was blah, konahamaru is urgh

Some people just aren't that interested in average filler. Filler by itself bores people so you can imagine what unexciting filler does to them. That's like being mad at someone for them hating on their 99 cent cup of instant ramen.

I feel like this was a weak week for Toonami as a whole, yes OP/FMA:B/FLCL were fantastic, but after that it's a sharp drop off to gits and then another sharp drop after that. For me this weeks Bleach was a good not great episode, but I still enjoyed that more then half the shows on the block last night.

LOLDSFAN

zlCfzRXxSmoxiqQXa1

#fallensoldier.

I'm guessing our favorite guy who we thought was a girl at first dies.

RIP. :<

Some people just aren't that interested in average filler. Filler by itself bores people so you can imagine what unexciting filler does to them. That's like being mad at someone for them hating on their 99 cent cup of instant ramen.
You can't even claim this is boring filler, there's been a ton of action. It sounds to me like you've already formed the opinion that the arc is going to be 'mediocre' just because it's filler instead of going in with a fresh mindset. And who cares if it's filler anyway? Does a show have to be purely canon to be good? Naruto and One Piece have good filler and bad filler, just like there is good canon and bad canon. Bleach and every other show with filler are the exact same.

I don't care if people dislike Bleach or this arc as long as they gave it a fair shot. Otherwise they're just bitching for the sake of bitching.

You can't even claim this is boring filler, there's been a ton of action. It sounds to me like you've already formed the opinion that the arc is going to be 'mediocre' just because it's filler instead of going in with a fresh mindset. And who cares if it's filler anyway? Does a show have to be purely canon to be good? Naruto has good filler and bad filler, just like there is good canon and bad canon. Bleach and every other show are the exact same.

Some people just write off filler the second it happens and don't give it a fair shake. It doesn't help when a lot of people have already written of Bleach.

Tamanon

Banned
It's especially funny when a lot of those people don't even give a shit about canon Bleach, but then use the pejorative of "filler".

789shadow

Banned
You can't even claim this is boring filler, there's been a ton of action. It sounds to me like you've already formed the opinion that the arc is going to be 'mediocre' just because it's filler instead of going in with a fresh mindset. And who cares if it's filler anyway? Does a show have to be purely canon to be good? Naruto and One Piece have good filler and bad filler, just like there is good canon and bad canon. Bleach and every other show with filler are the exact same.

I don't care if people dislike Bleach or this arc as long as they gave it a fair shot. Otherwise they're just bitching for the sake of bitching.
Bleach's shake was over hundreds of episodes ago.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I didn't see Bleach or Soul Eater last night and might not until tomorrow but I thought the rest of the night was really quite good...besides IGPX which was boring as hell.

Clone Wars was also boring but in an interesting way. Very believable character situations for a believable conflict in an on going civil war. It's like a less chatty Aaron Sorkin guest wrote the episode (also explains why it was also boring)

Also some thoughts on yesterdays prewatch IE Garzey's Wing

I like the premise of this ova series, but the execution at all levels is awful. Ignoring the god awful dub for a second the animation and story was muddy, confusing, and hard to follow.

GW has some great ideas, I like the idea of the hero being same person two different worlds who can communicate and share ideas. They needed to do more with present Kris looking up info for past Kris and also add past Kris helping out present Kris in some way.

We also needed more scenes of faries being tricksters, as it stands the female fairy character gets treated for racism for almost no reason the entire story run, its too bad as I feel there was more interesting story to tell with this character.

I really hope there is a "what went wrong" article for Garzey's wing I'd really like to read it

Bleach's shake was over hundreds of episodes ago.
Way to completely miss the main point of my post. You're one of the people who constantly complains about how 'terrible' Bleach is every week, regardless of what is happening. You've actually helped my argument though; there's way too many people here who shit on Bleach because of an opinion they formed a long time ago. Personally, I like to go into any new experience in life, whether that be a TV arc or new day at my job, with a clean slate because that's what reasonable people do.

If you give Bleach a fair shake every week and hate it, that's cool, not everyone has the same opinion. But whining for the sake of whining is close minded and foolish if you ask me.

Hahah. Friend just posted this on tumblr:

You can't even claim this is boring filler, there's been a ton of action. It sounds to me like you've already formed the opinion that the arc is going to be 'mediocre' just because it's filler instead of going in with a fresh mindset. And who cares if it's filler anyway? Does a show have to be purely canon to be good? Naruto has good filler and bad filler, just like there is good canon and bad canon. Bleach and every other show are the exact same.

I don't care if people dislike Bleach or this arc as long as they have it a fair shot. Otherwise they're just bitching for the sake of bitching.

But the filler has been fairly mediocre. The fights are only occasionally interesting (last night's fights were not the case), the characters are either boring or total assholes, and the plot (so far) has been fairly generic and uninteresting. Filler can be good, but this is not the case with this arc. What has happened so far that has blown your mind so much? Even the Bount arc was more interesting than this.

789shadow

Banned
Guccie's conclusion is that Bleach does not suck, therefore his logic must be fatally flawed, because Bleach being ass is the 7th Law of Physics.

This bleach filler arc hasn't been THAT bad you guys, its certainly better then all the boring arracar fights we suffered through during the war.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
c'mon now shadow.

fun fact anime only naruto peeps, as of right now and for a good majority of shippuden jiraiya is the strongest person in naruto universe.

foxuzamaki

But the filler has been fairly mediocre. The fights are only occasionally interesting (last night's fights were not the case), the characters are either boring or total assholes, and the plot (so far) has been fairly generic and uninteresting. Filler can be good, but this is not the case with this arc. What has happened so far that has blown your mind so much? Even the Bount arc was more interesting than this.

I actually found last night's fight pretty interesting.

I can't blame shadow or bigkrev for checking out on Bleach as the canon material for awhile has been bad (everything from the captains showing up in hueco mundo to the moment before aizen icetard troll is blah) but saying the most recent episode is bad means you either didn't watch or just had decided to hate regardless of what happened. And this is coming from someone who doesn't care for either soi fon or wolf guy

Like I said earlier, if you give the show a fair shot every week then I'm not going to rag on an individual persons tastes.

I've already seen all of Bleach so it's not like anything I'm seeing is 'mind blowing' or a surprise. All I said was that this arc has been good and listed reasons why above. Explain to me how the plot is so generic and uninteresting? How is this arc so bad exactly outside of Kon and the VO?

The Bount arc is pretty freaking similar in structure to this so your complaint is silly to me.

Amikami

Banned
Yeah. Bleach wasn't bad last night. My problem is just that I generally am not invested in a single character nor do I feel all that interested during the plot, and during a filler arc especially.

Like I said earlier, if you give the show a fair shot every week then I'm not going to rag on an individual persons tastes.

I've already seen all of Bleach so it's not like anything I'm seeing is 'mind blowing' or a surprise. All I said was that this arc has been good and listed reasons why above. Explain to me how the plot is so generic and uninteresting? How is this arc so bad exactly outside of Kon and the VO?

The Bount arc is pretty freaking similar in structure to this so your complaint is silly to me.

How is the plot not generic? Evil clones are trying to replace the good original version. That's as generic as they come. And the Bount arc is similar to this arc? How? Because they both invade the soul society? Or are you talking about something that hasn't happened yet? So far I see no similarities between the two. I wouldn't even call what Kageroza did an invasion. It was more like infiltration.

Yeah. Bleach wasn't bad last night. My problem is just that I generally am not invested in a single character nor do I feel all that interested during the plot, and during a filler arc especially.
That's fine but who cares if it's a filler arc? If a compelling self contained story can be told why go into it with a bad attitude just because it didn't appear in the manga? I don't get that mentality.

Seda

In the first two episodes of Space Dandy, we have established that Dandy and Meow are mostly inept doofuses, QT is kind of being dragged along for the ride by their shenanigans, and Scarlet will likely be a more reliable/capable contrast to the main duo. However, Dandy did tone down his usual sophomoric and somewhat bumptious personality to listen to and comment on the Raman Pop story, a (very) slight show of maturity from him. Meow is very self absorbed but otherwise doesn't have much to his character yet.

The show definitely gives me the Futurama vibe: the setting and aliens of course, comedy focus, Dandy is Zapp Brannigan-esqe. But the writing is definitely not as clever that Futurama could be at times. A lot of the jokes are more slap-stick in nature, which are misses for me more often than not.

Despite that, I would say I'm enjoying the show. The animation is top-notch, and I'm enjoying the music as well. It's goofy and absurd at times (ramen wormholes!) and I wonder how creative they can get with things like this. Going in, I didn't expect believable characters with believable motivations, and I don't expect an engrossing narrative. I'm not trying to excuse the problems of the show by saying my expectations were low (with respect to those things), but I am saying it is not a 'disappointment' to me yet. It was pretty clear from trailers that it was going to be really silly/wacky series. The thing I want to see most in upcoming episodes is less slap-stick and more cleverly written humor, sort of on the lines of Ramen Pop. I can laugh at slap-stick, but certainly not for an entire series.

And if they show does gain a semblance of a more serious narrative in the upcoming episodes, I expect it to creep in slowly.

foxuzamaki

Got to also take into account the japanese humor and funimation could be doing their best to fill in more americanized jokes that we might possibly laugh at more, with that said humor is also very subjective.

Amikami

Banned
That's fine but who cares if it's a filler arc? If a compelling self contained story can be told why go into it with a bad attitude just because it didn't appear in the manga? I don't get that mentality.

No. It's not that I expect it to be bad. I've seen tons of good filler and tons of bad filler. I can adore filler, "What beneath Kakashi's mask" a key example. I also enjoyed that Kon power ranger episode. I guess it's the fact that these very serious battles that are happening, I feel like I know how they are generally going to end, because the only possibility of anyone dying is a filler character. The main characters are fine. I know Ichigo is fine. The story will never add anything significant to the cannon so that's out. And the story for me is just not that compelling, but all of this is personal feelings. If I had an actual interest in seeing characters with more screentime, I would still enjoy it but I don't because I'm just not invested in the characters. I don't hate Bleach like some, but I don't love it. I find the world interesting, but not the characters if that makes any sense and it's hard to enjoy anything to its fullest when you can't find interest in the characters.

foxuzamaki

the zanpaktou manifestation filler arc remains one of my favorite fillers because of how interesting it is, and I also really like that kubo was actually going to make that a cannon arc but couldnt fit it into the current story arc.

How is the plot not generic? Evil clones are trying to replace the good original version. That's as generic as they come. And the Bount arc is similar to this arc? How? Because they both invade the soul society? Or are you talking about something that hasn't happened yet? So far I see no similarities between the two. I wouldn't even call what Kageroza did an invasion. It was more like infiltration.

The plot is more than just 'evil clones trying to replace the originals', you clearly aren't looking into the story or clues deep enough. They are just a tool being used by the villain to take over soul society.

Lets look at the Bount arc:
- Modified souls are introduced
- 3 modified souls stuffed in dolls are used as comedic relief and for melodrama
- Research team is revealed to have created the Bounts who now pose a serious threat
- Ichigo struggles with losing his soul reaper powers (specifically Bankai)
- Kariya is driven by revenge
- An army of Bounts invade Soul Society

Now let's look at the invading army arc:
- Modified souls of the captains known as 'regai' are introduced
- 1 modified soul stuffed into a doll is used as comedic relief and for melodrama
- Research team is revealed to have created the regai who now pose a serious threat
- Ichigo struggles with unstable spiritual pressure and losing his soul reaper powers
- Kageroza is driven by revenge
- An army of regai invade soul society

Going any further into the similarities would mean revealing spoilers but if you look at the Bount arc it's easy to guess where this is going.

This is called the 'Invading Army Arc' for a reason, please don't play semantics.

No. It's not that I expect it to be bad. I've seen tons of good filler and tons of bad filler. I can adore filler, "What beneath Kakashi's mask" a key example. I also enjoyed that Kon power ranger episode. I guess it's the fact that these very serious battles that are happening, I feel like I know how they are generally going to end, because the only possibility of anyone dying is a filler character. The main characters are fine. I know Ichigo is fine. The story will never add anything significant to the cannon so that's out. And the story for me is just not that compelling, but all of this is personal feelings. If I had an actual interest in seeing characters with more screentime, I would still enjoy it but I don't because I'm just not invested in the characters. I don't hate Bleach like some, but I don't love it. I find the world interesting, but not the characters if that makes any sense and it's hard to enjoy anything to its fullest when you can't find interest in the characters.

That's reasonable, I can respect that line of thought.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Bleach has not had a single good filler arc. It hasn't even had a tolerable one. The Zanpakutou one at least had a promising start before quickly turning to shit (and then just continuing on and on even after it was seemingly "over" for no real reason). It has had some enjoyable one-off fillers, though.

I think Gucci just made a compelling argument that this current Bleach filler is nothing more than a rip off and that's why you shouldn't be watching it. Not sure if he meant to, though.

I think Gucci just made a compelling argument that this current Bleach filler is nothing more than a rip off and that's why you shouldn't be watching it. Not sure if he meant to, though.
There are a ton of similarities between this and previous filler but the bount arc was pretty darn good. Claiming the Bount is good but Invading Army is bad doesn't make sense at all.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There are a ton of similarities between this and previous filler but the bount arc was pretty darn good. Claiming the Bount is good but Invading Army is bad doesn't make sense at all.

The Bount arc was fucking terrible with insufferable characters, worse character designs, and worst of all it lasted for nearly FIFTY episodes.

I have no clue either way. I haven't watched Bleach from the beginning and I have no plans to.

That's fine, it's hard to jump into the middle of a long running shonen and care about the characters or a long plot like the whole Aizen thing. Perfectly understandable.

Bleach has not had a single good filler arc. It hasn't even had a tolerable one. The Zanpakutou one at least had a promising start before quickly turning to shit (and then just continuing on and on even after it was seemingly "over" for no real reason). It has had some enjoyable one-off fillers, though.

Lol

The Bount arc was fucking terrible with insufferable characters, worse character designs, and worst of all it lasted for nearly FIFTY episodes.
Complaining about character designs when you're the One Piece mega fan? Uh, alright...Insufferable characters? Lets step back from the bias ledge and explain how they were so awful in depth.

The plot is more than just 'evil clones trying to replace the originals', you clearly aren't looking into the story or clues deep enough. They are just a tool being used by the villain to take over soul society.

Lets look at the Bount arc:
- Modified souls are introduced
- 3 modified souls stuffed in dolls are used as comedic relief and for melodrama
- Research team is revealed to have created the Bounts who now pose a serious threat
- Ichigo struggles with losing his soul reaper powers (specifically Bankai)
- Kariya is driven by revenge
- An army of Bounts invade Soul Society

Now let's look at the invading army arc:
- Modified souls of the captains known as 'regai' are introduced
- 1 modified soul stuffed into a doll is used as comedic relief and for melodrama
- Research team is revealed to have created the regai who now pose a serious threat
- Ichigo struggles with unstable spiritual pressure and losing his soul reaper powers
- Kageroza is driven by revenge
- An army of regai invade soul society

Going any further into the similarities would mean revealing spoilers but if you look at the Bount arc it's easy to guess where this is going.

This is called the 'Invading Army Arc' for a reason, please don't play semantics.
That is a very shallow comparison. Saying that the reigai introduction is like the 3 mod soul introduction is very silly. The two situations are nothing alike. And I'm not playing semantics. You can hardly call what Kageroza did an invasion because it wasn't an invasion. Nothing was invaded. He just replaced the captains and other important people. That's not an invasion. Kariya and Kageroza's methods were completely different. Moreover, Kageroza said he wants to capture Nozomi for some reason and use her to rule of over the soul society and the human world. What revenge are you talking about?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Space Dandy is an immature show, with moments of Comedy that seem straight out of Tenchi GXP; the kind of thing that blurs the lines between Shinichi Watanabe and Shinichiro Watanabe, ha. The "common" comedy of the 2 series isn't far apart at all, Dandy just benefits from better art, music, and a more initially interesting "real" plot, maybe.

I actually really felt odd at watching Dandy's reaction to RamenPops, because he seemed to completely straighten up during that story. (Ramen Pop's accidental murder was one of the greatest thing ever, BTW.) If Dandy is defined by being a goofball, Dandy didn't EXIST in that scene, and it was.. really odd.

Scarlett was a girl in glasses who kicked grade A butts... On principal, I quite liked her. From her moments in the beginning of the ep, to the Barfight, we got to see a few sides of her character... but then she pretty much falls off the space of the earth from that point on, and I actually found that jarring.

Dandy is playing a lame version of the "Vash the Stampede" method of getting out of things; the story of what happens on the bad-guys / public's end is way different than the reality of events. But Dandy isn't nearly as good at this as Vash.

Vash always had some skill shown in his escapes, which let you know he was an active participant, no matter how goofy things looked on the outside.

Dandy, however... seems like he has almost no real ability to save himself from his situations. Everything looks like pure luck, the intervention of others, or simple coincidence.

It totally kills my ability to root for Dandy as a hero. Heck, I have an easier time rooting for Kirito at the moment, as he has much more obvious, defined "Hero" / "Badass" moments.

I still feel like Dandy is an excuse for the staff to just do what they want so far, and no one has really thought about what direction we're heading in yet. Hopefully, once we clear that "DVD Volume 1" group of 3~5 episode blocks, the show will give a clearer vision of what's really going on. And Dandy himself will become more of participant, rather than a charismatic bystander.

@ Dandy X Fanservice: The scene transition to BooBies was a bit surprising, lol. Still a bit too obvious, but then you have scenes like Scarlett's fight, which totally ignored any and all pervshots. This show is bloody inconsistent in it's service message. But I guess "Momentarily gratuitous!" and then "Largely non-existent!" is just the Dandy Way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Next weeks episode ends up being one of the least servicey episodes actually, with Dandy's "sometimes the Deceiver is the one being Deceived!" commentary.

"You're gonna Finish that Ramen"... man, I'd wanna make that joke! And yay for the return of Woolongs!

That is a very shallow comparison. Saying that the reigai introduction is like the 3 mod soul introduction is very silly. The two situations are nothing alike. And I'm not playing semantics. You can hardly call what Kageroza did an invasion because it wasn't an invasion. Nothing was invaded. He just replaced the captains and other important people. That's not an invasion. Kariya and Kageroza's methods were completely different. Moreover, Kageroza said he wants to capture Nozomi for some reason and use her to rule of over the soul society and the human world. What revenge are you talking about?

That wasn't a shallow comparison and I'm not going to post spoilers. I've seen the whole series, you have not. I think I know what I'm talking about here when I say the arcs are similar.

You are playing a stupid semantics game. The arc is officially known as the 'Gotei 13 Invading Army Arc'. Kageroza has a lair that he operates from, it's where that person sitting in a chair is.

in·vade (n-vd)
v. in·vad·ed, in·vad·ing, in·vades
1. To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage.
2. To encroach or intrude on; violate: "The principal of the trusts could not be invaded without trustee approval"
3. To overrun as if by invading; infest
4. To enter and permeate, especially harmfully

That describes what has happened in soul society, can we stop arguing definitions now?

I can't answer some questions without spoilers but you're operating from a position where you do not know all the facts.

That wasn't a shallow comparison and I'm not going to post spoilers. I've seen the whole series, you have not. I think I know what I'm talking about here when I say the arcs are similar.

You are playing a stupid semantics game. The arc is officially known as the 'Gotei 13 Invading Army Arc'.

I can't answer some questions without spoilers but you're operating from a position where you do not know all the facts.

So basically this boils down to you thinking it's weird I don't like Kageroza's arc because stuff that I haven't seen yet is so similar to other stuff i've already seen. That's what you're telling me.

Long filler arcs just ruin a show for me. I really wish they would so something like seasons instead of just making crap up all the time.

The bount arc was especially bad, the rescue rukia stuff was amazing and that arc came around and killed all interest I had in Bleach

So basically this boils down to you thinking it's weird I don't like Kageroza's arc because stuff that I haven't seen yet is so similar to other stuff i've already seen. That's what you're telling me.

I don't give two shits about what you think to be perfectly frank, Schadenfreude. If you don't like the arc or Bleach in general, that's more than fine with me. I've been saying all along that I don't mind people criticizing the show as long as they give it a fair shot instead of going off an opinion formed long ago. It's foolish to assume a shows quality cannot fluctuate.

All I did was call you out for saying the invading army arc is boring and generic but that the bount arc is good. That's stupid and contradictory, they share a lot of things in common. When I've provided evidence you've called it 'shallow'. When I've seen the whole series, refuse to post spoilers and tell you there are more similarities that I can't reveal without ruining future plot developments, you get snarky. You're operating from a position of knowing jack shit about the story.

Either both are shit or both are good.

Bleach filler being like other filler is ok. I don't mine but don't really care.
zlCfzRXtew4mJxHcBe

zlCfzRXtew4mJxHcBe

zlCfzRXwZWQxRNV5qU

zlCfzRXxSmoxiqQXa1

Faves. I may not be paying attenion to SAO, but when I do you always capture the parts I remember good or bad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom