• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Going for real this time.

ZGq540W.gif

Going back to analyzing the new schedule, I have serious doubts about GitS moving up into that 3AM slot.

This year with Naruto there, the 3AM spot has brought in about 680,000 viewers the past two weeks which is solid. I don't think GitS is going to do anywhere near that but lets look at a bigger sample size to get a better picture of the situation.

From 10/5-11/30 Clone Wars managed to pull in an average of 720,000 viewers at 3AM. Part of the reason (I would argue the main one) that Naruto and Star Wars succeeded at this spot was because they are well known and successful properties in the United States. Ghost in the Shell, while beloved in some circles, remains niche. Over the course of it's run in the 4AM spot, the show has managed to average 509,000 viewers a night.

Now being moved up to 3AM might give GitS a slight bump but I still don't think that the nature of the show lends it well to a dead period. You also have to take into consideration that the show is being shuffled in the middle of a run, I'm not so sure the audience stays after OG Naruto finishes off.

Samurai Jack is kinda being sent off to die in the 4AM slot being shown after GitS and yet ANOTHER Brotherhood re-run. If you're going to stick it at the 'kid-friendly' end portion of the block why not swap spots with IGPX?

I predict a HUGE drop off from OG Naruto to GitS, I'm talking 75K-100K viewers. From there I can see a steady decline happening. People are tired of Brotherhood and Samurai Jack is in the dreaded dead zone. Even though season 2 of IGPX is good, it won't fare well at 4:30AM. Clone Wars and Inuyasha should be fine though.

I really am worried about the middle of the block, I would've done something like this:

11:30 Space Dandy
12:00 Bleach
12:30 Shippuden
1:00 One Piece
1:30 Soul Eater
2:00 SAO
2:30 Samurai Jack
3:00 Naruto
3:30 Ghost in the Shell
4:00 FMA Brotherhood
4:30 IGPX
5:00 Clone Wars
5:30 Inuyasha

Uncut naruto will do way better then flcl did at the 2:30 spot though, I guess the question is do they think Samurai Jack or Gits would do better at 3. Personally I feel like they should have slid fma:b up to 3 and put gits at 3:30.

Uncut naruto will do way better then flcl did at the 2:30 spot though, I guess the question is do they think Samurai Jack or Gits would do better at 3. Personally I feel like they should have slid fma:b up to 3 and put gits at 3:30.

They should have slid Samurai Jack in at 2:30 and put Naruto afterwards. There it would be early enough in the night to draw a new audience and still get the bump from the large amount of people who would want to watch Naruto.

Brotherhood shouldn't get moved up, it should go backwards if they don't want to swap it out for another free show. It's one of the worst rated programs on the block because of the constant re-runs and will be a cancer anywhere on the schedule. Might as well stick it at 4AM to minimize damage.

Also, I'm very disappointed that only Bass likes to talk ratings/scheduling here. That's a pretty important aspect of toonami.

They should have slid Samurai Jack in at 2:30 and put Naruto afterwards. There it would be early enough in the night to draw a new audience and still get the bump from the large amount of people who would want to watch Naruto.

Brotherhood shouldn't get moved up, it should go backwards if they don't want to swap it out for another free show. It's one of the worst rated programs on the block because of the constant re-runs and will be a cancer anywhere on the schedule. Might as well stick it at 4AM to minimize damage.

I think the ratings of the 3:30, 4, and 4:30 shows will consistently be low regardless of what is put there. Though I imagine the reason Jack is at 4 is that it like igpx is a truly free show to air and 4 and 4:30 are always the lowest rated shows on the block. Putting a show they have to pay to air like brotherhood doesn't make much sense in that regard. I imagine the decision to put gits in front of fma:b is because it has aired less on new toonami so when given the choice of which to reair at 3 and which to reair at 3:30 that decision makes sense.

I think we all can agree that naruto at 2:30 would do the best of all the shows from 2:30
Onward on name alone, once it gets into the land of waves/chunin exams It'll probably do really well there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Back to the office for a minute before really heading out for a few hours.

A few things.

One, making an SAO joke into a One Piece style laugh? AMAZING.

Two, yes, I'm probably going to die tragically in a fight against the spirals of fog out here.

Three, I don't expect that schedule to last that long. There's a couple more shows ending quite soon and IGPX just a bit off that probably won't be run again. Definitely in the case of SAO.

Four, Samurai Jack probably won't do great ratings no matter where you slot it. It's old as dirt, is a western show which will drive off some weeaboos and has been on Boomerang for a long ass time now. That's probably the best place for it (In some ways I'd argue its a better fit with Inuyasha at 5am, but this is fine) But right after SAO in the heart of the lineup? No way in hell. Unless something better comes along that slot is perfect for Naruto especially if they pick up the rest of it next year.

Raxus

Yeah I forgot to mention it but man god did, in a year they can probably get the rest of canon naruto for it to "premier" at 2:30

We will be close to immortals arc by then as well so at least we have two naruto premieres to look forward to if that is the case.

Begs the question if they will do filler hell as well.

We will be close to immortals arc by then as well so at least we have two naruto premieres.

Begs the question if they will do filler hell as well.

At 2:30 you'd be safe to show filler hell, and if filler hell tanks you can slide it down to 3:30 and move something else into its place

I think the ratings of the 3:30, 4, and 4:30 shows will consistently be low regardless of what is put there. Though I imagine the reason Jack is at 4 is that it like igpx is a truly free show to air and 4 and 4:30 are always the lowest rated shows on the block. Putting a show they have to pay to air like brotherhood doesn't make much sense in that regard. I imagine the decision to put gits in front of fma:b is because it has aired less on new toonami so when given the choice of which to reair at 3 and which to reair at 3:30 that decision makes sense.

I think we all can agree that naruto at 2:30 would do the best of all the shows from 2:30
Onward on name alone, once it gets into the land of waves/chunin exams It'll probably do really well there.

Eh, not really at 3:30AM. Sym-Bionic Titan thrived in that spot pulling in 711K which is higher than Naruto (although we're dealing with a small sample size) in the same place. I think it really depends on the show, although 4-5AM generally tends to be the slowest period.

I already explained how Brotherhood is a ratings cancer. It should have been dropped in the first place for something free but if they're going to air it again it needs to be in a dead zone to minimize damage to the rest of the block, not slotted up higher just because they're spending money on it. I don't have a problem with GitS airing before Brotherhood, I advocate that. I just want them both moved back a half hour like I indicated here.

My point is that Brotherhood is going to get poor ratings regardless of where they put it. I'm not convinced that it will rate higher at 3:30AM than 4AM. Samurai Jack is being sent off to die, why not try to boost the ratings of the block overall by premiering it at 2:30AM instead of trying to give Brotherhood another 35K viewers by moving it up a half hour? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Four, Samurai Jack probably won't do great ratings no matter where you slot it. It's old as dirt, is a western show which will drive off some weeaboos and has been on Boomerang for a long ass time now. That's probably the best place for it (In some ways I'd argue its a better fit with Inuyasha at 5am, but this is fine) But right after SAO in the heart of the lineup? No way in hell. Unless something better comes along that slot is perfect for Naruto especially if they pick up the rest of it next year.

Clone Wars is old as dirt too, the episodes we're watching now are from 2008-2009. Obviously Samurai Jack is older but I don't think that argument has much weight to it. Naruto is an old show and was doing 1M+ at 12:30AM. Star Wars is a western show that aired in the middle of the lineup at 3AM and still pulled in 720,000 viewers per night. Not everyone has boomerang, that's a moot point.

Samurai Jack should have been slotted at 4:30 or 5 to fit in with the kid friendly portion of the block or moved up in front of Naruto.

We have no evidence Samurai Jack would do much better at 2:30, 3, or 3:30 then fma:b or gits. We already know some toonami "fans" only care for anime and drop out once something not anime is shown. We already know 3-5 is considered the "dead hours" of tv it probably doesn't matter what goes there it'll be a ratings drop regardless.

My point about free shows being at 4 and 4:30 is that perhaps at those slots fma:b wouldn't be profitable where as it currently still is at 3:30 for whatever they paid to keep airing it. It doesn't matter what jack or igpx does at the deadest of the dead slots because they're "free shows". My suggestion of flipping gits and fma:b is based upon the fact gits is also a "free" show the way jack, igpx, and clone wars are. 3 of the 4 slots in the dead spot are "free" with brotherhood being the only exeption.

Man, HxH is getting so tense. Can't. Stop. Reading!!!! What have you done to me, Bass?

Exactly as keikaku

I'm surprised you opted for reading instead of watching the show

Oh hey. Nice new avatar. And yeah, I decided to go with reading because I can read manga much faster than I can watch a tv show. Like Gluttony when he realized Mustang was the one that had killed Lust, I'm inhaling HxH manga at an enormous rate.

TheChits

Oh hey. Nice new avatar. And yeah, I decided to go with reading because I can read manga much faster than I can watch a tv show. Like Gluttony when he realized Mustang was the one that had killed Lust, I'm inhaling HxH manga at an enormous rate.

Watch the show at some point anyway. It is pretty much the bee's knees

Gucci, you need to relax about what anything does from 3am on. There's a reason why it's all re-runs or older stuff: it's not going to make a difference one way or the other.

As for Samurai Jack's placement in the lineup - that's about the best it could be. I'll probably DVR it.

We have no evidence Samurai Jack would do much better at 2:30, 3, or 3:30 then fma:b or gits. We already know some toonami "fans" only care for anime and drop out once something not anime is shown. We already know 3-5 is considered the "dead hours" of tv it probably doesn't matter what goes there it'll be a ratings drop regardless.

My point about free shows being at 4 and 4:30 is that perhaps at those slots fma:b wouldn't be profitable where as it currently still is at 3:30 for whatever they paid to keep airing it. It doesn't matter what jack or igpx does at the deadest of the dead slots because they're "free shows". My suggestion of flipping gits and fma:b is based upon the fact gits is also a "free" show the way jack, igpx, and clone wars are. 3 of the 4 slots in the dead spot are "free" with brotherhood being the only exeption.

Of course we have no evidence Samurai Jack would do much better but we can speculate using ratings, trends, and logic. That's the whole point.

Making a blanket statement that toonami fans will drop out once something western is shown because they only care about anime isn't really right. Thundercats beat out Eureka 7 more times than not when they were shown back to back at the 3-4AM slot. SBT outdrew Brotherhood consistently from 4-5AM. Star Wars beat out anything before or after it including IGPX, FLCL, Big O and Brotherhood pretty much every single night. Yes there are some people who only watch toonami for the anime but that crowd is minuscule, most people just want to see good shows regardless of where they came from.

Yes, 3-5 is a slow period (4-5 being the dead zone) but I've already pointed out shows that have thrived there. It DOES matter what goes there. There will most likely be a drop but that's not always the case and even when it occurs, there are things you can do through scheduling to minimize the fall.

Gucci, you need to relax about what anything does from 3am on. There's a reason why it's all re-runs or older stuff: it's not going to make a difference one way or the other.

As for Samurai Jack's placement in the lineup - that's about the best it could be. I'll probably DVR it.

EDIT: It does make a difference, pay attention to the ratings. I'm passionate about toonami and viewers are what determines success, I'm not going to 'relax' about anything after 2:30AM potentially falling off a cliff. I want the block to succeed and continue to put out great content. Without high ratings we never would have gotten Space Dandy, Shippuden, One Piece, Soul Eater, SAO (for better or worse)...the point is that scheduling matters and I like to discuss it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
^okay, that avatar is almost as adorable as the Ashley AT look
It's great right?

thanks and I see, the anime is a bit better paced tho

I could be wrong but that comes with the territory of speculation. I think I'm pretty well informed when it comes to ratings and trends though; we'll just have to wait a couple of weeks and see if my prediction comes true.

Easy there. Sorry if I offended.

No offense taken, I need to reel in my tone sometimes. I edited my post above, here's what it said:

EDIT: It does make a difference, pay attention to the ratings. I'm passionate about toonami and viewers are what determines success, I'm not going to 'relax' about anything after 2:30AM potentially falling off a cliff. I want the block to succeed and continue to put out great content. Without high ratings we never would have gotten Space Dandy, Shippuden, One Piece, Soul Eater, SAO (for better or worse)...the point is that scheduling matters and I like to discuss it.

I really am just very passionate about toonami, it's been apart of my life since I was 9 years old. Sorry if I came off aggressive, I don't mean to 90% of the time haha.

I understand about being passionate about ratings, but we also only see part of a picture. We don't know what expectations are for certain shows and even if we percieve something like fma:b being "ratings cancer" it may still be well above expectations and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It really sucks samurai jack is so far back I'd rather like to have been able to cut and run at 3am if I felt I really do need to just go to sleep .

Ratings probably won't change much from Jack regardless of where it goes, the more interesting things to look at will be how blue exorcist and what other new premier will do once se and sao end.

I really am just very passionate about toonami, it's been apart of my life since I was 9 years old. Sorry if I came off aggressive, I don't mean to 90% of the time haha.

And I understand that and how your concerns are coming from that.

I can just tell you from my experience in media is that there are certain time slots which will not make a big difference in the long run, and 3am - 5am is one of them, even on a late night network like Adult Swim.

As long as something doesn't absolutely bomb, viewer drop off is to be expected as you go through the night. It's not giving up on the timeslots per se, but more making sure the slots you do want - no, need to succeed get what they need to do just that.

So, if AS gets a few new shows and that means another run of say FMA:B, I would sign off on that any day of the week.

Also, our expectations might be a little - optimistic? These guys have been programming for a long time - they really do have a wealth of info to give them a better idea of what to expect from a show - and what would be above or below those expectations, especially in whatever AS considers their key demos (which are usually the ones mentioned in press releases).

Whew! That may have gone a bit longer than necessary. Hope it made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom