• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That would explain why "anime on TV" is essentially dead.

Thing is, plebs prefer endless shonen/action because it's different from "Murican TV". Why watch anime dramas when regular TV is fine? Why watch horror anime when regular movies are fine?
I think that's the thought process. I'm not "casual" enough to understand...

To be honest I love fantasy animated shows about people with powers fighting, that's what I do want to see.

It's just hard to like ones that have terrible pacing, low animation budget a lot of the time, and filler.

So KLK, TTGL, Korra, JoJo yes, Naruto OP Bleach no.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That would explain why "anime on TV" is essentially dead.

Thing is, plebs prefer endless shonen/action because it's different from "Murican TV". Why watch anime dramas when regular TV is fine? Why watch horror anime when regular movies are fine?
I think that's the thought process. I'm not "casual" enough to understand...
To be fair, shonen/action tends to be rather different. I mean, I can't think of an American show that'd be similar in terms of stuff like Jojo or Assassination Classroom (lol would this even work/be allowed as an US show).

I guess the logic is that for stuff like dramas or horror, it can be easier to "replicate" it as a live-action show. But sometimes it's hard to replicate a style or some of the angles, facial expressions, atmosphere, etc. of an anime. I don't think Nichijou would've been as hilarious if it was live action (well maybe a FEW scenes).

......also there's almost no US shows about giant-ass robots kicking ass & Megas XLR isn't on the air anymore.

To be honest I love fantasy animated shows about people with powers fighting, that's what I do want to see.

It's just hard to like ones that have terrible pacing, low animation budget a lot of the time, and filler.

This as well.

KLK is too weird for new-to-anime casuals. And it's already coming in two weeks.
TTGL is going to end its run in a few months.
Korra is Nick.
JoJo is unjustly left without a dub.

ckohler

Also of note: The first four you listed include comedy that's legitimately funny. The latter two, not so much. They have comedy but it can be rather cringe worthy. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

Also of note: The first four you listed include comedy that's legitimately funny. The latter two, not so much. They have comedy but it can be rather cringe worthy. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

I'm more interested in the action/story parts of what I watch, but yes, if your show is going to have comedy, having it actually be good comedy is important.

OP's comedy is great especially in the dub. Naruto's comedy comes and goes from time to time. Bleach can't pull off decent humor, unless Kisuke or Isshin are on-screen.

ckohler

Actually, I misread his post. I didn't see the "OP" for One Piece. Yes, One Piece can be funny as can early Bleach.

I retract what I said.

All because of based Isshin

tumblr_ndirvgEDdg1tzhwtpo1_500.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One Piece's comedy is part of what made me get into the series as a kid. Granted, some of it was replaced with 4Kids' terrible jokes, but still.

Bleach used to be kinda funny, though toward the end it was mostly just the filler.

One Piece is hilarious.

I can't remember when I actually found Naruto to be funny except maybe that one episode with Kakashi's mask.

Dragon Ball is hilarious.

InuYasha can be hilarious when it wants to be.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh my god I just remembered tonight's One Piece is FINALLY continuing the plot. It feels awesome to be excited for OP again & not remind myself it's a recap episode. Hopefully people will know that as well & ratings will go back up.

so apparently the Adult Swim message boards actually feel the need to censor DBZ "spoilers", which is one of the sadder things I've encountered on the Internet today.

BatDan

GOKU IS AN ALIEN

PICCOLO IS THE SON OF DEMON KING PICCOLO!

Oh my god I just remembered tonight's One Piece is FINALLY continuing the plot. It feels awesome to be excited for OP again & not remind myself it's a recap episode. Hopefully people will know that as well & ratings will go back up.

Last week continued the plot. Kind of... it had Franky burn the blueprints.

I think any series can be funny at times, of the major Shonen series I'd say Naruto makes me laugh the least and One Piece makes me laugh the most.

Raxus

Naruto's humor can he more miss than hit in the later stages but Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals is pretty consistently funny.

rock-lee-and-his-ninja-pals-naruto-spin-off-rock-lee-and-his-ninja-pals-33813737-299-168.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
so apparently the Adult Swim message boards actually feel the need to censor DBZ "spoilers", which is one of the sadder things I've encountered on the Internet today.
Which is hilarious considering Toonami has spoiled everything up through the Android saga in their bumps and music videos.

BatDan

I imagine Funimation will begin dubbing the Buu Saga in Kai when Japan finishes up. That will still be a while though...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Which is hilarious considering Toonami has spoiled everything up through the Android saga in their bumps and music videos.
Wait there's ANDROIDS in the DBZ universe? The hell? Then again, I guess if we've got villains flying across space in pods, anything's technically possible.

*hasn't seen any episode of DBZ due to no cable/satellite growing up/no access to CN until 2005ish*

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
somebody told me that yusuke dies in yyh and spoiled it so im never gonna watch
Damn, seriously? That must've sucked. Sounds like it's the equivalent of GL & Kamina. Though not having seen YYH, I don't know if that has the same impact.

ckohler

So, is this the list of shows where there should be no spoilers?
  • Naruto: Shippuden
  • Final Act
  • One Piece
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Deadman Wonderland (?)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I'd count Deadman Wonderland since we have some people who weren't around when it originally aired 2+ years ago.

I'd say anything that's recently re-aired is fair game, i.e anything after 3 AM when it gets into Bleach, Space Dandy, etc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, is this the list of shows where there should be no spoilers?
  • Naruto: Shippuden
  • Final Act
  • One Piece
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Deadman Wonderland (?)

Deadman is pretty old and has aired already...outside of that totally agree

Damn, seriously? That must've sucked. Sounds like it's the equivalent of GL & Kamina. Though not having seen YYH, I don't know if that has the same impact.

He's already dead in the first scene of the anime, it's in the various synopsis floating about. It's like saying Ash picks Pikachu as his starter or Luffy has a straw hat.

BatDan

He's already dead in the first scene of the anime, it's in the various synopsis floating about. It's like saying Ash picks Pikachu as his starter or Luffy has a straw hat.

Or that the entire crew of Red Dwarf dies except for Lister. It's all basic.

Normally I'd probably debate Deadman having a no spoilers policy, but it's a 12 episode show that's still relatively new and 2 or 3 new people is a lot relative to how many people are posting about it in general.

DBZ is really fucking long and pretty old and the plot kind of barely matters, so I feel like a no spoilers policy for that is just laughably stifling to discussion.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I hope you're not being serious...
I haven't seen a single episode of the show, nor know anything about it aside from FINGERS SHOOT BEAMS PEW. I just know the main dude wears green & there's some other guy with spiky hair & I think he has a 3rd eye or something. He was in J-Stars Victory Vs.

Also some kind of little baby.

BBboy20

my main concern is how there's a show called a Assy McGee and how did that exist
It's a funny show...wow, didn't know it was canceled.

To be fair, shonen/action tends to be rather different. I mean, I can't think of an American show that'd be similar in terms of stuff like Jojo or Assassination Classroom (lol would this even work/be allowed as an US show).

I guess the logic is that for stuff like dramas or horror, it can be easier to "replicate" it as a live-action show. But sometimes it's hard to replicate a style or some of the angles, facial expressions, atmosphere, etc. of an anime. I don't think Nichijou would've been as hilarious if it was live action (well maybe a FEW scenes).

......also there's almost no US shows about giant-ass robots kicking ass & Megas XLR isn't on the air anymore.

This as well.
Because action is overt and hard to replicate well in live-action. Most probably don't care about covert elements that are hard to showcase in live-action. It has to be in front of their faces to pay attention. Otherwise, they don't mind people just talking funny and that's it.

KLK is too weird for new-to-anime casuals. And it's already coming in two weeks.
The insane action not enough to be distracted to casuals?

BBboy20

Oh yeah, I was in an hospital elevator earlier and somebody mentioned about nobody liking the basement. It was so hard not to make an Attack on Titan joke.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dunno if Branduil still lurks this thread but I started watching the anime that gave him his avatar.
Shirobako? Finishing up Ep. 14 right now. Part of me wants to see a similar anime done but for something like developing a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom