• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
the schedule now looks like this before Toonami:

08:00 - Sit Down, Shut Up
08:30 - King of the Hill
09:00 - King of the Hill
09:30 - Rick and Morty
10:00 - Robot Chicken: DC Comics Special
10:30 - Family Guy
11:00 - American Dad

kinda makes you wonder if there was a ratings issue across all of Saturday rather than only Toonami.

I also want to throw out this idea, perhaps the reason they moved dbz kai to 11:30 is because there was talk of taking that 11:30 slot back from Toonami and kai was put there to ensure that spot stays for awhile.

kinda makes you wonder if there was a ratings issue across all of Saturday rather than only Toonami.

Damn, I might just hop on at 09:30, that Pre-Toonami lineup cannot fail.

Also, I know I said I had backdoor #2, but they've caught on to that one too (It cuts off at 11PM again)

ckohler

Interesting. When you consider the way Demarco sounded so uncertain yesterday now I'm almost convinced that all these recent changes have nothing to do with Toonami in particular. It smells more like some network higher-ups have decided to shuffle the programming around and Demarco has no say in the matter. I bet this is a case of Adult Swim trying to boost ratings across the board and that's why Demarco doesn't even know KLK's time slot yet. He doesn't get to decide.

Grexeno

DeMarco may also be trying to figure out what, if any, chance there is of Kill la Kill completely bombing and necessitating a move to the back of the premieres.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I really doubt it, but maybe we'll get some answers during the Q&A. Again, I'm gonna put my trust in DeMarco & not be worried until we start losing stuff like 11:30 AM where there's much more viewers over 5 in the morning.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think they know how popular KlK is & wouldn't have it premiere later than 1 AM. Midnight or 12:30 is probably the safest bet.

Absolutely. Black Dynamite was seeing massive drops. That hour-long finale didn't help and I can't imagine Boondocks re-runs would do much better.

I don't think Sit Down, Shut Up is exactly lighting anything on fire as well.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if AD is a place holder for KLK since FG was leading in Toonami before, but that's probably a long shot.

Absolutely. Black Dynamite was seeing massive drops. That hour-long finale didn't help and I can't imagine Boondocks re-runs would do much better.

I don't think Sit Down, Shut Up is exactly lighting anything on fire as well.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if AD is a place holder for KLK since FG was leading in Toonami before, but that's probably a long shot.

Would be awesome but I can't see that happening

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would be amazed if they somehow worked out a deal where in exchange for 5 & 5:30, they got the 11 PM slot. Sadly, I don't think that's what happened & not getting my hopes up.

I feel like we'd have been told if they were prepping for 11:00; it'd be kind of shitty to announce losing an hour and later go "JUST KIDDING WE GOT 11!" I mean, it's possible they weren't sure about it at the time but I kinda doubt that considering how definite all the rest of this sounds.

daveo42

Banned
Oh boy, what if KLK doesn't end up taking 11:30?

Expect it to get pushed back behind better performers. Right not it seems like it would be either KLK or Kai that would do best in the top spot. I think we will see some better numbers once AoT is no longer at the start of the block, especially since they are airing these episodes for a third time now.

If an actual (relatively) new show gets pushed back behind nostalgia bait, that will mark the true death of Toonami, even if its zombified corpse continues to air.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It could also be a case of someone higher up seeing the tapes of KLK and going "uhh no that's not airing at 11:30"
"Hey what's that time slot you put Black Lagoon at? Yeah, put it there so we don't have to deal with censoring as much."

I wouldn't be surprised if in exchange for less censorship, they put it slightly later on. But I don't know CN or AS' rules when it comes to what time certain content is allowed to be shown.

Interesting. When you consider the way Demarco sounded so uncertain yesterday now I'm almost convinced that all these recent changes have nothing to do with Toonami in particular. It smells more like some network higher-ups have decided to shuffle the programming around and Demarco has no say in the matter. I bet this is a case of Adult Swim trying to boost ratings across the board and that's why Demarco doesn't even know KLK's time slot yet. He doesn't get to decide.
Television must be a fucked place to work in.

Grexeno

Hopefully the fact that the last hour was specifically cut for not meeting ratings expectations means that the rest of Toonami doesn't have that problem.

"Hey what's that time slot you put Black Lagoon at? Yeah, put it there so we don't have to deal with censoring as much."

I wouldn't be surprised if in exchange for less censorship, they put it slightly later on. But I don't know CN or AS' rules when it comes to what time certain content is allowed to be shown.

Mr. Pickles ran at 11:30 so I don't think it's a question of the timeslot.

Gonna start catching up on everything I slept though last week, starting with Naruto Shipu
MSgZL.gif

InuYasha Final Act shifted from ludicrous speed to really fast speed, still faster then I'd have liked though. Action was fun and I'm glad were slowly getting rid of all these extra Naraku incarnation.

Gurren Lagann was great, loved the explanation of the spiral vs anti spiral, completely fit with the tone and themes of the first half of the series and reflects a radical change in the second half. I'll have more to say on this as we watch KLK but I am starting to see a bit why huge GL fans didn't like KLK despite the two having a similar design in plot progression.

Deadman Wonderland continues to be great, best character made his introduction at the end :D

daveo42

Banned

It probably cost a good chunk of money to get the rights, so I don't even expect it to slide more than 30mins. At this point it is almost guaranteed to air at either 1130 or midnight unless they got some crazy kind of deal to run a new show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It could also be a case of someone higher up seeing the tapes of KLK and going "uhh no that's not airing at 11:30"

From what I've seen of the show, this is probably the case. There's relatively new and popular shows they could have picked up that require little to no censorship so I can't say I feel too bad.

Tachikoma meaning of life episode

HQ0OCWDl.jpg

Edit: So people who have seen GitS 2nd Gig multiple times explain what I was supposed to get out of episode 15

Shame I won't be enjoying the shows with you tonight, I'm on a train to Chicago.

Also, interesting response on Demarco's Ask where he says he doesn't necessarily disagree that a shorter block is a bad thing, even though I'm sure he's rather not losing the time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh right, I was going to post some of those more dire Saturday schedules from when Adult Swim lost faith in its Action block at times in the past.

Here's a good one (this was the last episode of Bleach's inaugural run before it went on hiatus for the first time):

October 13, 2007:

11:00 - Futurama - 6 - A Fishful of Dollars
11:30 - The Boondocks - 16 - ...Or Die Trying
12:00 - Bleach - 52 - Renji, Oath of the Soul! Fight to the Death with Byakuya
12:30 - BLOOD+ - 28 - Limited Existence
1:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 20 - FABRICATE FOG
1:30 - Perfect Hair Forever - 7 - Return to Balding Victory
1:45 - Minoriteam - 7 - And Justice for Some
2:00 - Astro Boy - 12 - The Artificial Sun

Or how about this gem?

September 13, 2008:

11:00 - Bleach - 80 - Assault From a Formidable Enemy! A Tiny Final Line of Defense?!
11:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist - 1 - To Challenge the Sun
12:00 - Robot Chicken - 56 - Boo Cocky
12:15 - Aqua Teen Hunger Force - 70 - Robots Everywhere
12:30 - Metalocalypse - 39-40 - Black Fire Upon Us
1:00 - Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! - 27 - Jazz
1:15 - Assy McGee - 15 - Hands Up
1:30 - Squidbillies - 1 - This Show is Called Squidbillies
1:45 - 12 oz. Mouse - 1 - Hired
5:00 - Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - 20 - War at Kyushu
5:30 - Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit - 4 - Torogai's Writings

I've watched DBZ Kai and OP which were both great as always and am basically caught up with everything I missed. Well I was planning to watch all of Bebop HD but I won't lose any sleep over that.

Also this weekend are we one episode 16 of 17 of GitS 2nd GiG?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Let's not go all Shard on us.

The chance to make a new star has long since past, they made the choice, this is what they should be doing with that choice actually. Dragon Ball Z is supposed to be propping up the block then let it prop up the block.

I'm not even mad at Toonami, I'm more annoyed at the viewerbase justifying the stereotype that western anime fans/dub fans/mainstream televised anime watchers only like generic endless shonen, by backing the idea up with the viewing patterns.

Thinking about it, DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Inuyasha, AoT, and Bebop on the same block is perhaps the most cliche lineup of anime for "casuals" you could make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom