• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

Anyone else feel like we might see a lot more schedule changes not based on new shows and instead based on trying to maximize ratings?

Grexeno

Isn't that always the goal?
Toonami usually only changes the lineup when a new show is coming, and that's usually when they'll switch around other parts of the block if they have too. But now I think we could see changeups more frequently even if a new show isn't coming.

Regiruler

Anyone else feel like we might see a lot more schedule changes not based on new shows and instead based on trying to maximize ratings?

New shows are brought for the sole purpose of ratings. The former obviously doesn't take importance over the latter under any stretch of the imagination.

Grexeno

But the point is that previously they've almost never just reshuffled the current lineup of shows. But now I think we'll see a lot more of that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think we've kind of seen that with DBZ Kai now at 11:30 & Inuyasha getting bumped up earlier as well. Heck, the first three shows (Kai, Shippuden, & Final Act) right now are all new versions of older shows that were previously on Toonami/Adult Swim.

ckohler

According to the KLK Twitter, it's going to air at 12:30.

That's good. I'd still have preferred it be the lead-in show but this is still early in the block, and heck, maybe being after midnight will help reduce the amount of censorship needed. Only downside is that this pretty much guarantees that the OPs & EDs will have edits.

But the point is that previously they've almost never just reshuffled the current lineup of shows. But now I think we'll see a lot more of that.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Seems like there was a time around when Soul Eater and Space Dandy were airing that the block stayed pretty stable for months. We haven't had any stability of length for a while now.

daveo42

Banned
I think the addition KLK will be the last big shake up of the block for a while. It seems they are better aware of how each show has been doing and adjusting for that. I think they also finally realized that reruns should either come off or get pushed to the back half of the block.

It's a necessary change, but it's not something they should do on a regular basis.

Raxus

I just went through This is How You Don't Play Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
I think this sums up my feelings

Obligatory:
vOornDH.jpg

his tiny arms are adorable

ckohler

They let Dandy have it's full OP at 12:30. Maybe they'll do the same for Kill la Kill since it's a new-ish show?

Oh really? I don't remember that. That's cool. Hopefully they will do that.

There are also a few episodes in the series that omit the ED and run the credits over the last bit of the episode. Certainly they will have to at least allow enough time for that to happen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh really? I don't remember that. That's cool. Hopefully they will do that.

There are also a few episodes in the series that omit the ED and run the credits over the last bit of the episode. Certainly they will have to at least allow enough time for that to happen.

If you haven't noticed the block is actually running a bit short right now because of One Piece and Shippuden.

I also think after KLK joins the block, there won't be any major lineup changes - except for shows ending, of course. Stability helps the block and they'll need to give it some to truly get an idea of how these ratings are shaking out.

Grexeno

I also think after KLK joins the block, there won't be any major lineup changes - except for shows ending, of course. Stability helps the block and they'll need to give it some to truly get an idea of how these ratings are shaking out.
At least until Gurren and Deadman end on the same day in March.

At least until Gurren and Deadman end on the same day in March.

I was talking more about moving shows around when I meant changes. The long runners need to be in the same time slot for a while, and that will happen once KLK comes in. After that, it (hopefully) will just mean new shows sliding in to those time slots, not another shuffling of the lineup.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if KLK will re-air after it finishes, considering it probably cost them a good amount of money due to being new & popular. Though I'm sure it'll get bumped to about 2 or 3 after learning their lesson with AoT reruns.

Grexeno

I wonder if KLK will re-air after it finishes, considering it probably cost them a good amount of money due to being new & popular. Though I'm sure it'll get bumped to about 2 or 3 after learning their lesson with AoT reruns.
I'm pretty sure they'll re-air it unless it absolutely bombs, but yeah, they've hopefully learned their lesson on reruns airing too early.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now part of me wants a Kill la Kill marathon like they did with AoT, but this time I'll actually WANT to stay up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NOT BEING DROPPED:

DBZ KAI
SHIPPUDEN
ONE PIECE
INUYASHA:FINAL ACT
TENGA TOPPA GURREN LAGGAN

UNLIKELY TO BE DROPPED:

DEADMAN WONDERLAND
COWBOY BEBOP HD
BLEACH
ATTACK ON TITAN

LIKELY TO BE DROPPED:

SPACE DANDY (ends at an even break for the series)
GITS 2nd GIG (ends almost exactly when TOONAMI began)

The fact they've been silent about it is weird, perhaps it will be Bleach and they don't want to upset people until the last minute

Gits actually would make sense, yeah its free to show but that also means they can drop and add it back at will unlike dmwl which they probably had to pay to reair

Grexeno

The fact they've been silent about it is weird, perhaps it will be Bleach and they don't want to upset people until the last minute
I have no idea why they would willingly drop Bleach. It's the former anchor of the front half, and now it's the anchor of the back half.

I have no idea why they would willingly drop Bleach. It's the former anchor of the front half, and now it's the anchor of the back half.

Opportunity cost, Bleach does good ratings in the back, but its also the most expensive show currently airing back their, and its not like we haven't see Viz shows randomly disappear without warning

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bebop is probably on a cheap deal, they have a stake in 2nd Gig and Space Dandy, DMWL wasn't a big hit and is also a repeat, meaning it was cheap, so it's down to AoT and Bleach. Both of which probably cost a lot to get but not a ton to reair, but they'll probably have to reair it within a certain time frame.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bebop is probably on a cheap deal, they have a stake in 2nd Gig and Space Dandy, DMWL wasn't a big hit and is also a repeat, meaning it was cheap, so it's down to AoT and Bleach. Both of which probably cost a lot to get but not a ton to reair, but they'll probably have to reair it within a certain time frame.

Aren't they coming to the end of their deal to air Bleach? I can't see them renewing it just to rerun it later in the night, that's money they could use for another simulcast or to pick up something big.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unless Bleach HD from the beginning or Bleach Final Act appears I really would expect Bleach to end at pretty much any time. Probably at the beginning of a quarter, maybe as late as the end of this year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unless Bleach HD from the beginning or Bleach Final Act appears I really would expect Bleach to end at pretty much any time. Probably at the beginning of a quarter, maybe as late as the end of this year.

Same. It makes no sense to keep it around considering what it costs. When the terms of the deal are done that'll be it for it.

daveo42

Banned
Bleach will stay, since it still seems to pull in a decent amount of viewers. My guess is GitS is on the chopping block. I think Toonami wants to keep as many "free" shows as it possibly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom