• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No way would DeMarco be willing to shell out the same kind of money he's been paying for Bleach now that it's in reruns, unless they give it to him way cheaper I don't expect it to stick around.

2glvBwH.gif

Bleach Ratings

FctCTW9.gif

Lich King Laughs.

No way would DeMarco be willing to shell out the same kind of money he's been paying for Bleach now that it's in reruns, unless they give it to him way cheaper I don't expect it to stick around.
I'm saying it's not leaving until the current contract is up, whenever that may be. There's no way for us to know so it could disappear at anytime.

Raxus

Bleach will last until the contract is up. Bebop isn't leaving for a long ass time, GitS always has a spot in the rotation even if it sits out a round. Attack on Titan at least has one round left before it leaves the block. I'd actually cry if I didn't get my Dandy S2 VIVA ALL DANDY!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach will last until the contract is up. Bebop isn't leaving for a long ass time, GitS always has a spot in the rotation even if it sits out a round. Attack on Titan at least has one round left before it leaves the block. I'd actually cry if I didn't get my Dandy S2 VIVA ALL DANDY!

ROPt5Vy.gif

I got a surprise for you!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I will be so damn disappointed if we don't get Season 2 of Space Dandy, considering it's only aired once compared to S1 airing 3 times.

Seda

CH-CH-CH-CHANGES
In life, we all must deal with change, friends. And sometimes that change is hard. Starting February 7th, the Toonami schedule will be reduced to a Midnight-3:30am run every Saturday.
But TOONAMI IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE.
And the good news is, we still have three and a half hours of premieres for you, every week, with more new stuff to come!
2015’s gonna have Kill La Kill, plus several MORE new shows, as well as Intruder 2, the Toonami comic, and lots of other fun goodies!
For fans of GITS, IGPX, Bebop, AoT, etc, we’re sorry but due to slipping ratings in those later hours, Adult Swim programming has determined a change is necessary. These shows may be back at some point- or they may not. Nothing is definitive on that front.
We may be getting smaller, but hopefully we’re getting stronger.
Love, The Toonami Crew
Schedule Starting 2/7 below:
12:00 - DBZ Kai
12:30 - Kill la Kill
01:00 - Naruto: Shippuden
01:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act
02:00 - Gurren Lagann
02:30 - One Piece
03:00 - Deadman Wonderland

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/109334851853/ch-ch-ch-changes

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WELP........That's a bummer.....

I mean, yeah it's all the repeats getting cut, but yikes, that's quite a few hours gone now. Not to mention 11:30 is gone again....

Oh wow I didn't even notice One Piece slipped again, which is really weird as that had seemingly been doing better the Gurren Lagann on average IIRC.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, didn't even notice One Piece & Gurren Lagann switching places.

But still, no more Space Dandy. Freakin' hell, the wait for S2 continues....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me wonders if they cut the repeat section of the block in order to be able to save money and help get the funds for stuff like AoT and Sailor Moon Crystal.......and SAO2.....

So Toonami is basically back to the same length it was when it originally came back, only without the back half recap fest. Hopefully a block full of premiers will do better :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So Toonami is basically back to the same length it was when it originally came back, only without the back half recap fest. Hopefully a block full of premiers will do better :/

The OG block was about the same length. I figure this way they can negotiate shorter contracts for shows, for less money, since they won't be able to repeat them. Plus they won't have to scramble around for shows to fill the back half anymore.

Gee, who would have imagined that airing 6 weeks of recaps was a bad idea?

Who'd have thunk it? They need to start skipping OP filler, there's not much left but this is one of those series where all it'll do is annoy everyone.

Losing 11:30 hurts.

We had only gotten it for Dandy in the first place, I'm sure it'll be back if there's another simulcast deal.

I guess I'll need to finish GitS 2nd gig on my own some weekend. BRING SAO S2 TO TOONAMI is the campaign we need to start cause that'll do gangbusters...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh damn, that's right, they got HD Cowboy Bebop. That sure didn't last long.....

Considering I didn't watch most of the repeat half of the block, I think as long as it allows them to keep new shows and last longer, I understand the sacrifice to be made.

Hopefully if the ratings get better, they'll get more time again. Absolutely sucks this was on such sort notice, especially when we heard about Kill la Kill at 11:30, only to have it change to 12:30 not even a week later.

I just realized that Shippuden is the only show I don't watch on the block now. Switch it out & I'd watch all of Toonami without any breaks.

Grexeno

Absolutely sucks this was on such sort notice, especially when we heard about Kill la Kill at 11:30, only to have it change to 12:30 not even a week later.
DeMarco always manages to hear important things last and at the last possible moment.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm fine with an all premiere block but this is sort of how Adult Swim Action fell the first time. Regular AS creeped in with its cheaper, higher rated shows.

I can see Bebop HD coming back and taking over Deadman's slot when that ends assuming they don't use that slot for a cheaper new show or a more recent rerun like Space Dandy S2 or Casshern.

And I don't think we'll see One Piece move back up, if anything it could drop to the final slot as there is always a ratings drop whenever it airs regardless of when it airs regardless of what's going on in the show. I do agree with Shard that airing the 6 week recap was a terrible idea as it completely stunted the later half of the block.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good fucking lord. What happened here? I didn't think ratings were THAT bad.
The apathy people have towards One Piece disgusts me... damn it 4Kids...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

All the filler didn't help things either. I think ratings will pick up once the fights start and shit gets real.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have a bad feeling One Piece recaps for over a month & AoT reruns at 11:30 seem to be the main culprits here.

Thankfully, now that One Piece's plot is finally moving again & AoT is flat-out gone now, the line-up seems to be much more solid. DBZ Kai is starting to get at a really good, nostalgic moment for fans, Kill la Kill seems to have a good amount of hype, and we've still got Shippuden & Final Act to continue with the nostalgia.

I guess the only thing now is to keep watching & put my trust in DeMarco that a smaller, but possibly stronger line-up will help them stay on the air longer.

You can't start a long running plot intensive show 200 episodes in and not expect people to be completely lost. This isn't like DBZ where knowledge of DB isn't really needed or even Naruto Shippuden which does an amazing job or recapping every little thing you needed to know over and over and over again. One Piece should have started from episode 1 as to give all the new AS/Toonami watchers a fresh chance with a more mature dub regardless of if they had seen the 4kids dub or not.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You can't start a long running plot intensive show 200 episodes in and not expect people to be completely lost. This isn't like DBZ where knowledge of DB isn't really needed or even Naruto Shippuden which does an amazing job or recapping every little thing you needed to know over and over and over again. One Piece should have started from episode 1 as to give all the new AS/Toonami watchers a fresh chance with a more mature dub regardless of if they had seen the 4kids dub or not.
Maybe they should've started at the recap episodes instead of the Davy Fight? That way, despite being in the middle of the arc, we'd still would've started off with learning about each crew member.

I mean, the reason those recaps exist was because in Japan, the show moved to a different time slot so they made them to fill people in.

Maybe they should've started at the recap episodes instead of the Davy Fight? That way, despite being in the middle of the arc, we'd still would've started off with learning about each crew member.

Absolutely not, people would have been even more confused, the option was start at episode 1, or impact OP's ability to be successful on New Toonami.

Grexeno

This is literally about the worst possible way they could have done it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Absolutely not, people would have been even more confused, the option was start at episode 1, or impact OP's ability to be successful on New Toonami.

They should have done an hour in the middle part of the block instead of reruns. We'd have made Arlong Park by the end of the first year and everyone would have been hooked.

Moaradin

One Piece was doing fine for a while. It hit 1 million + viewers a dozen times last year. I'd say pushing it later into the block and having snoozefest shows before it did more harm than starting it 200+ episodes in. The ratings were already heading in that direction before the recap episodes.

Grexeno

One Piece was doing fine for a while. It hit 1 million + viewers a dozen times last year. I'd say pushing it later into the block and having snoozefest shows before it did more harm than starting it 200+ episodes in. The ratings were already heading in that direction before the recap episodes.
I think we should move past the idea that Naruto Shippuden is actually killing the block by putting people to sleep.

Even when it was doing 1 million+, it was still 100-200k less then the shows before it, the drop becomes more of an issue when ratings are down

Grexeno

So basically, the death of Toonami on Adult Swim may come down to what we originally feared: some exec said "why don't we just show a bunch of Family Guy episodes instead?"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I think the extra filler between Long Ring Long Island and Water 7 didn't help much either. Skip that and get to Water 7 quicker and the ratings wouldn't go down, putting filler in a show like OP does more harm than good. That's why they stopped it after a certain point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like once Deadman Wonderland finishes, most of the shows will get pushed back an 1/2 hour to have another premiere happen. I can't imagine them having any repeats happening for some time.

Hate to say it, but considering we know how well SAO did, we might need SAO2 to help bring back some of the viewers.

Gurren Lagann is close to finishing as well. I wonder what'll replace that. Also starting to doubt the fact that Kill la Kill will reair now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom