• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I didn't stay up every night but the nights I did I liked having those shows as background noise or talking about them or related stuff in here. Now that's gone :(

I kind of want to see somebody confront him about some of the recent mistakes (AoT reruns at front, One Piece recaps, Hellsing snafu, etc.) and how they likely hurt the block but he seems the type of person to EXPLODE in rage in response and it wouldn't be a good or productive look.

To wit:
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/560207315560071168

Grexeno

Once again, I question the logic in changing (outside of moving Attack on Titan to the rerun part of the block) a front-half lineup that was able to get 6 shows averaging over a million a week before December.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It depends on what release of Gurren Lagann you're talking about. And even then, I don't believe that/

I looked it up and I'm not exactly right. Half of One Piece's dub costs less than the entire run of Gurren Lagann. The entire run of One Piece on DVD costs more, like $50 or so more. Actually just under $50 more.

EDIT: That's the sale price for both, take away the sale and both go up but stay really damn close in price.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I looked it up and I'm not exactly right. Half of One Piece's dub costs less than the entire run of Gurren Lagann. The entire run of One Piece on DVD costs more, like $50 or so more. Actually just under $50 more.

EDIT: That's the sale price for both, take away the sale and both go up but stay really damn close in price.

That's more 1/4th of the dub as the latest DVD went up to 372, with the next set going up to 384 in April.
No news on Season 7 yet, but
it starts with Duval and the Flying Fish Riders. I may have a searing hatred of the 4Kids dub, but does anyone else want David Moo to play Duval?

I mean, it's been on for nearly three years. That's not really a dream.

I meant, it was a pipe-dream to think Toonami would last for a long time.
We got to comfortable with reruns and expansions, and now we're back to square one.

It's disheartening, but with cable dying and anime being a niche medium, I can't say it wasn't bound to happen.

bigkrev

And yet there is ton of Aniplex stuff avalible on Netflix and Hulu in both dubbed and subbed form, while Funimation has been pulling there stuff off of those services in the past few years and not really adding any of it to it's own streaming service.

I'm willing to bet that if Aniplex thought they would make more money selling their stuff cheaper, they would. But instead, they focus on streaming services (that they don't run, so have no overhead), and selling fewer physical goods at an insanely high profit margin probably does make them more money than selling more units at less profit. Just like any good F2P company, they love feasting on their whales

Grexeno

I don't know what I find more depressing: the thought that this was unavoidable and there was nothing Toonami could have really done, or the thought that a recent spate of bad decisions, bad luck, and poor communication may severely injure a Toonami that could have otherwise been just fine.

I'm not convinced that One Piece is the problem child here because while it didn't compare to everything else, it still did reasonably well. I think it's because the programming philosophy changes when you're running a short block as opposed to a six hour one in order to maximize the ratings; you spread the "big" shows throughout the night, and that might be why One Piece got moved.

Crocodile

I don't know what I find more depressing: the thought that this was unavoidable and there was nothing Toonami could have really done, or the thought that a recent spate of bad decisions, bad luck, and poor communication may severely injure a Toonami that could have otherwise been just fine.

Isn't the later obviously better? It means there is hope moving forward as lessons are learned and maybe ratings improve.

I don't work in television or broadcasting, but I think things could have gone better if these precautions were taken:

1. Never air reruns between or in front of premiere shows.
2. Always double-check and triple-check the broadcast rights and contract end-dates for the shows on the block
3. Don't go crazy with the budget.
4. Have the popular shows spread out throughout the night to minimize sudden drop offs.
5. Pair up shows that are very compatible.

Grexeno

Isn't the later obviously better? It means there is hope moving forward as lessons are learned and maybe ratings improve.
Of course, most likely the current cuts are a combination of both uncontrollable factors that are effecting television as a whole, and recent issues with the programming on Toonami.

ckohler

Maybe they are moving One Piece back because Gurren is ending in a month or so and a newer show is planned to replace it.

Also, I was under the impression that One Piece has consistently under performed. I clearly remember us talking about how the art style was possibly turning away viewers.

Crocodile

I STILL don't know how you are caught by surprise by the fact that you only acquired 4/5s of a show. Like how does that even happen? Learning you are losing rights all of a sudden is a bit more understandable but still jarring. The people down at AS need to talk with each other more often.

Not necessarily better when Jason "Cool Opinion Anon" DeMarco is in charge of the block.

Of course, most likely the current cuts are a combination of both uncontrollable factors that are effecting television as a whole, and recent issues with the programming on Toonami.

Did you mean to edit your original post or did you reply to me, forgot you replied to me and the replied to me again? :p

Seda

I'm with ckohler, slimmer is probably better. I was only watching the back half for GitS and when that would finish I'd bail after the premieres like most people anyway.

Grexeno

Shit I just got the news. This does not bode to well for the block if their big premiere everyone's requesting doesn't lead the block.
First, it's important to remember that the people who actively request shows do not make up a majority of the Toonami viewing audience. Kill la Kill was far and away the riskiest show that would have aired at 11:30.

Second, they're basically just playing it super safe with ratings now.

Raxus

The one bright side to all this is DBZ is proof that it is a strong lead to start off the block. Keep the AoT reruns was a really poor idea especially considering we hit recap hell on several shows at one point. Hopefully DBZ continues to hold strong ratings as the lead especially since we are hitting some good action next week.

Grexeno

The one bright side to all this is DBZ is proof that it is a strong lead to start off the block. Keep the AoT reruns was a really poor idea especially considering we hit recap hell on several shows at one point. Hopefully DBZ continues to hold strong ratings as the lead.
Now the question becomes "what the hell does Toonami do when DBZ Kai ends?" I mean, if it lasts that long.

Seda

For the record, I think we'll keep the monthly thread format. Most activity dropped after premieres anyway, and 3:30-6:00 usually only generated ~300 posts (oh hey, we seem to be a representative sample of the larger population that reflected in the ratings)

Yeah, things have slowed down since Space Dandy and Attack on Titan ended, but even at this pace we'd need a new thread every ~7 weeks regardless, monthly is more regular/organized. Plus Kill La Kill will liven things up.

Grexeno

For the record, I think we'll keep the monthly thread format. Most activity dropped after premieres anyway, and 3:30-6:00 usually only generated ~300 posts (oh hey, we seem to be a representative sample of the larger population that reflected in the ratings)

Yeah, things have slowed down since Space Dandy and Attack on Titan ended, but even at this pace we'd need a new thread every ~7 weeks regardless, monthly is more regular/organized. Plus Kill La Kill will liven things up.
So calm and collected. YOU SHOULD BE PANICKING MORE

Raxus

Oh, Kill la Kill will bring in the comments.

Oh boy will it bring in the comments...especially when we hit THAT episode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i69zJyv.gif

Man this thread exploded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom