• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Its funny that everyone was slagging off Byakugan when Inuyasha was on for being a Kagura clone.

They dress similarly, both have similar methods of escape and pointy ears, but beyond that are NOTHING alike.
Their roles in the story are way different, something people will realize the most Final Act airs on here.

SAB! Your stuff is so amazing I can't stand it! I seriously love all your spritework, man. That Shippuden key joke had me cracking up. Also Namimore looks so sassy. Just love it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good job SAB CA.

Merci! Legit jumbles of Info in Inuyasha tonight, minor fast-forward is so oddly appropriate to the way it feels, haha.

Its funny that everyone was slagging off Byakugan when Inuyasha was on for being a Kagura clone.

They dress similarly, both have similar methods of escape and pointy ears, but beyond that are NOTHING alike.

It's so funny still seeing him fly away on a Feath- CRANE. This all must be a sneaky plan by Narakuzen to pang on a certain Noble Lord's emotional strings later on, right?

haha me too

Wohoo, I'm not the only one! {^_^} It's those times I appreciate the totally unrelated or odd weekday talk... it can be very awesome at times.

SAB! Your stuff is so amazing I can't stand it! I seriously love all your spritework, man. That Shippuden key joke had me cracking up. Also Namimore looks so sassy. Just love it.

I never understand my time management with it, lol. Either I finish early or late!

Thanks a lot! I'm totally not used to doing "large style" spritework, so working in this program for DUMPS is another massive learning experience on the fly.

I was so surprised they cut away from the key... only to cut back to it. I had a real "OMG, why do I watch this ever?" feel when that happened, ha.

Namimore and friends were so fun, I wanted to Draw more (and Robin, of course), but time...

And thanks to you too, Man God!

Been having some weird days lately, so it's all quite appreciated, guys!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think people will like Byakugan by the end of it.

Someone should probably post SAB's excellent art on this page.

Big fan of Nami.

Their roles in the story are way different, something people will realize the most Final Act airs on here.

While this will probably end up being true, you have to admit based simply upon what Final Act has shown this is not apparent at all. It really does feel most of the time like FA assumes you've already read the manga and know why these events happen and you're here to simply see the highlight reel of popular scenes from the manga animated.

zlCfzS12s9sT3E0l8G

LATER!

Good stuff.
Slowpudden, good lord pick up the pace.
Maybe they should just use Chibi shorts too!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone
Fun artwork SAB.

What an odd night.

DBZ Kai:
Kai covered in 4 episodes what the original DBZ took 8. Half the time!
More elements that make it obvious Dragon Ball is required reading/watching. Yajirobe, Korin, Mr. Popo, the mighty Oozaru.
They really should have done Dragon Ball Kai first. Oh well.

Shippuden:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *snort* Huh? Hm... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
We really need Rock Lee and Pals...

InuYasha: The Final Act
According to MikeMyers, these episodes have been literally all over the place when adapting the manga. Taking separate arcs and mashing them together. No wonder it feels disjointed. Though it sounds like the series will be much more linear in a couple week.s

One Piece
Just one recap left.
That was definitely one of the best Straw Hat Theater shorts. You can tell the voice actors were having too much fun.

Gurren Lagann
A calm recap before the storm.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man so Tank actually got shortened? Anyone got a link so I can see just how they managed to cut it down?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
disappointed in Toonami GAF for so many of you destroying Cowboy Bebop's visuals by messing up the picture just so you wouldn't have to see black bars

Seda

We skipped 5 Bleach episodes? Weird.

Anyway, because I haven't posted it yet in the new thread:

Samurai Jack: February 7th, 2015
Gurren Lagann: March 21st, 2015
Deadman Wonderland: March 21st, 2015
Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig: April 4th, 2015
Space Dandy: May 2nd, 2015
Attack on Titan: May 2nd, 2015
Inuyasha: The Final Act: June 6th, 2015
Cowboy Bebop (HD): June 27th, 2015
IGPX: June 27th, 2015
Bleach: ~2016
Dragon Ball Z Kai: ~2018
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll need to catch up this week on shows I missed.

Raxus

Great stuff SAB.

I love the DBZ and Shippuden sketches the most.

Seda, does your Kai calculations include the Buu arc?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aaannnddd I might have to deal with getting my wisdom teeth taken out on my last week before going back to college. Have to check tomorrow on pricing & such.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*watches shortened version of Tank* That actually wasn't too bad. A bit weird since we're so used to the full version, but it sounded fine for the most part. Heck, it's still longer than some other OPs like Gurren Lagann.

*watches shortened version of Tank* That actually wasn't too bad. A bit weird since we're so used to the full version, but it sounded fine for the most part. Heck, it's still longer than some other OPs like Gurren Lagann.

The rushed version sounded awful, the cut version isn't great either

Meta ‏@Metatronja 10h10 hours ago
@Clarknova1 Ok, I don't really want to be one of "those guys" but...cutting short the opening to BEBOP of all things?

LICH KING DEMARCO ‏@Clarknova1
@Metatronja Congrats, you just became one of "those guys."

Come on now, Metatron. ;P

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They would've gotten complaints if any of the OPs got cut short. Hell, I'm surprised they still haven't done it for Inuyasha: Final Act. Maybe they feared a bigger backlash to that compared to a show at 4 AM that they've reaired a crapton of times over the years.

Now that I think about it, was DMWL's OP cut when it originally aired?

Grexeno

They would've gotten complaints if any of the OPs got cut short. Hell, I'm surprised they still haven't done it for Inuyasha: Final Act. Maybe they feared a bigger backlash to that compared to a show at 4 AM that they've reaired a crapton of times over the years.
Inuyasha is old enough that they won't cut the opening.

Now that I think about it, was DMWL's OP cut when it originally aired?

Yes. It's actually a pretty good cut.

Obviously I have no horse in this race because it's fucking Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim and god dammit, but I think the real problem is that the cuts are really fucking bad. Funimation just seems like they stopped trying after a while, because the last good cut was like....the third ending of Soul Eater. Maybe.

EDIT EDIT: Actually the Dragon Soul edit and the edit for whatever Kai's ending song is are good. But there's a huge gap between the actual decent ones Funimation has made.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes. It's actually a pretty good cut.

Obviously I have no horse in this race because it's fucking Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim and god dammit, but I think the real problem is that the cuts are really fucking bad. Funimation just seems like they stopped trying after a while, because the last good cut was like....the third ending of Soul Eater. Maybe.

EDIT EDIT: Actually the Dragon Soul edit and the edit for whatever Kai's ending song is are good. But there's a huge gap between the actual decent ones Funimation has made.

One Piece Opening 6 is also a really good edit. Especially good at hiding a bunch of spoilers (most of which we still are not quite at yet)

One Piece Opening 6 is also a really good edit. Especially good at hiding a bunch of spoilers (most of which we still are not quite at yet)

Nah, that's one of the more obvious instances of "HEY GUYS WE SPLICED THIS TOGETHER." You can even hear the start of the verse they cut.

ckohler

This week’s theme is obvious: recaps!

Attack on Titan - Eren returns (boo) but we do get to see a very creepy scene set inside a Titan belly. We catch up with the other characters before Eren transforms into a pretty cool looking, but creepy, half-a-titan. On the downside Eren is so stupid and confused about what is going on that he has to constantly vocalize just how stupid and confused he is. Not a terrible episode but not great either. Next week might be my least favorite episode of the series, however.

DBZ: Kai - A flawed but decent episode. Piccolo must have some insane power levels if he can one-shot the Moon from the Earth’s surface. Don’t the Z fighters freak out when someone destroys a mountain? I’m pretty sure the Moon is like insanely bigger than a mountain. Anyway, he now also has a “clothing beam” that lets him zap clothes onto little kids. Weird. Gohan’s crying was really grating so I hope he stops that soon (but I doubt it). The best stuff were the scenes at Roshi’s house. In particular, Chi-chi being pissed off and Bulma testing out the scouter. Fun stuff. I’m really enjoying this series so far and it’s nice to know it gets better later.

Naruto: Shippuden - Twenty minutes of people quietly staring at each other in a single room. Then Naruto gives his big speech about why he cares so much about Sasuke. “He’s the only one that cared about me.” What?! Dude, you’re kidding yourself. He’s a jerk and you’re an idiot. Basically, another typical boring-ass episode of Shippuden.

Inuyasha: Final Act - I thought by now things might have slowed down more but we’re still in crazy, high gear. I think it’s the exposition. Not that Inuyasha didn’t have a lot of spoken exposition before but now it’s constant because characters have only seconds to explain entire arcs and motivations. Having said all that I still enjoy watching this 50x more than Shippbordem as this show’s action is quiet engaging and the characters more endearing. I feel sorry for anyone who tunes into Toonami for the first time when this show is on. If our heads are spinning I can only imagine the look of utter incomprehension of a person actually new to Inuyasha.

One Piece - This episode was fine and pretty much what I expected. Just like the previous recaps they unfortunately focus more on the moment the crew member joined rather than the main conflict of their introductions. In particular, I was hoping to see more of Chopper’s origins and the doctor character he looked up to but instead we only got the epilogue of it. Still, I find all these flashback episodes informative and entertaining although I am glad there is only one more of these.

Straw Hat Theatre - This one was of the easier to follow shorts so far. It’s fun to see the characters in different settings and seeing them super deformed but I have to just shake my head at some of this humor. Like, the fact that the whole thing was really just a daydream by a Moai. What does that even mean? I guess with omake, if something is ridiculous enough, that supposedly makes it funny. Maybe there is a cultural humor here I’m missing out on. Still, these are the fun highlights to these recaps.

Gurren Lagann - Speaking of recaps, I really enjoy the style of this compilation episode. Having the artist (was that Imaishi’s hand?) pointing out the names, ideas and feelings between each scenes was a nice touch. Also, if you haven’t seen the full ending to this episode I highly recommend you check it out on Netflix or someplace. It has lots more interesting and beautiful concept art for key moments in the show. The second half beings next week so prepare for a lot of changes!

Deadman Wonderland - I really dug this. The premise is ridiculous, however. How does that court not know this kid’s appointed lawyer works for a for-profit prison? Also, just the idea of a theme park run by prison inmates is really a stretch. Lastly, I’m not keen on the main character’s squeaky voice. Aside from those issues the show is very pretty, the pacing so far is energetic and it’s certainly an original idea. I was intrigued the entire time and I felt legitimately bad for this kid whose life has been so completely ruined. The show also has some very nice eye candy in the form of that crazy girl in the white spandex and that smoking hot warden. I’m really looking forward to seeing more of her, even if she is a hard-ass. O.O Bring on the next episode!

Bonus: Cowboy Bebop in HD - My first time seeing this show in HD and damn it looks great. I like that they’re reusing the DBZ sidebars and keeping the original aspect ratio so we don’t miss out on any of the artwork. Sounds great too. Now, about that cut opening… :(

bigkrev

That Bebop edit should be classified as a crime against humanity.

Fuck, cut the 5:30 show and add more commercials and full opens

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah, that's one of the more obvious instances of "HEY GUYS WE SPLICED THIS TOGETHER." You can even hear the start of the verse they cut.

Yeah, there is that blip there. I still think otherwise the opening works.

Unlike OP5...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really do wonder what the future holds for us this year.

One Piece is going to be mostly incredible. DBZ is good during this run. Shippuden will eventually get good. Then spring comes with a lot of turnover.

I'm guessing Jack comes back and then I really consider playing video games or working on gifs or something during the 5am hour. DMWL is another interesting one as it could lead back to something like Casshew coming back, or maybe another low priority Funimation show. Space Dandy/Cowboy Bebop will probably repeat and no one will complain if it does. Bleach is gonna Bleach. GITS I have no idea, they are pretty well stuck at that slot.

The real fun ones are Inuyasha, TTGL, and AOT. There's no way AOT repeats a third time at 11:30. Inuyasha's high ratings might lead to getting it back or maybe the original series.

The fix is in for SAO 2. But when? Probably fall. Will Sailor Moon Uncut replace Inuyasha, i.e. will enough of it be done by then? What about Fairy Tail?!?

Psycho Pass also seems destined for TOONAMI.

Crocodile

I missed most of Toonami last night but I was able to catch Inuyasha Final Act. Below is a visual representation of how I felt:
tumblr_muwsruvqqW1sw0379o1_250.gif

Who the fuck in Japan though this was a good idea? I thought Inuyasha was popular? They couldn't pony up the cash for a year long slot?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I missed most of Toonami last night but I was able to catch Inuyasha Final Act. Below is a visual representation of how I felt:
tumblr_muwsruvqqW1sw0379o1_250.gif

Who the fuck in Japan though this was a good idea? I thought Inuyasha was popular? They couldn't pony up the cash for a year long slot?

This episode epitomizes my whole theory about how final act is initially condensed. Someone needs to get something done, in this case Inuyasha. He starts out at Totosai and gets right to the point; he wants in on this dragon scale nonsense. Totosai knows the source of the power but doesn't know who is making the fake swords or if they can make the real deal. Next scene...the sword guy made the real deal and the guy he name dropped as a true motherfucker is there to pick it up...and Inuyasha gets in on it a scene later. Narakus him about a minute later then the swordsmith yoinks his essence to finish the sword. All that in about five minutes. Meanwhile Byakugan appears and begins a weak ass plan to get Koga's jewel shards/watch Inuyasha.

The series will calm down soon but not before more of this stuff happens.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This episode epitomizes my whole theory about how final act is initially condensed. Someone needs to get something done, in this case Inuyasha. He starts out at Totosai and gets right to the point; he wants in on this dragon scale nonsense. Totosai knows the source of the power but doesn't know who is making the fake swords or if they can make the real deal. Next scene...the sword guy made the real deal and the guy he name dropped as a true motherfucker is there to pick it up...and Inuyasha gets in on it a scene later. Narakus him about a minute later then the swordsmith yoinks his essence to finish the sword. All that in about five minutes. Meanwhile Byakugan appears and begins a weak ass plan to get Koga's jewel shards/watch Inuyasha.

The series will calm down soon but not before more of this stuff happens.

I think it stops jumping around next week, which should slow it down a bit. Plus maybe DeMarco will finally stop showing it in fast-forward, which hasn't been helping.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think it stops jumping around next week, which should slow it down a bit. Plus maybe DeMarco will finally stop showing it in fast-forward, which hasn't been helping.

It gets better when they start doing one plotline an episode, which really doesn't start until.

REAL ASS SPOILERS:

Naraku starts killing off the rest of his incarnations by various means and the others start getting there powerups.

The pacing for the last half of the show is really good. Especially the finale.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It gets better when they start doing one plotline an episode, which really doesn't start until.

REAL ASS SPOILERS:

Naraku starts killing off the rest of his incarnations by various means and the others start getting there powerups.

The pacing for the last half of the show is really good. Especially the finale.

Thank god they didn't mess that up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom