• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I kind of view it as Yatterman, Gatchaman, and Casshern are kind of like 3 all time classic anime series from the 70s that all got recent modern remakes, all were featured prominently in that Tatsunoko vs Capcom game and all 3 remakes were wild departures from what their series originally were. But yes looking back at my post compared to that bogus rumor they do line up in a way that resembles that hilarious made up list.

That's fair. It would be kind of funny if a new TvC game was made but with these modern versions of the characters. I'm sure there would be riots in the street though :p

I can't stand watching Avatar, the "humour" is cringe and the animation is incredibly choppy.

I also hate most of the characters in it

I think it gets put up on a pedestal because its practically the only decent western action show in a long time.

I'd take most of the DC cartoons over it any day. Hell if were talking about anime inspired western action shows I'd take Teen Titans way over Avatar.

Humor is no worse than most anime. As for the animation, whenever Studio Mir is on the job for Korra its great. The original series doesn't quite reach the animation highs of Korra but overall it is pretty decent.

First season is really rough at points. Studio Mir gets much better and basically are immaculate during Legend of Korra seasons 1,3 and 4.

It took me a while to warm up to the characters as well but they grow on you. If you make it to The Storm and don't like the show after that episode then you might want to hop out.

There are a ton of good western shows

Archer
Bob's Burgers
Adventure Time
Steven Universe (I can't emphasize this one enough)
Regular Show (aka an education on how to avoid half of Off Topic threads posted on GAF)
...etc

Err add to that list you add Rick & Morty, Gravity Falls (allegedly - I've only caught a few episodes), TMNT 2012, Venture Bros, Mike Tyson Mysteries, American Dad and I think you've covered EVERY consistently good animated show currently on American airwaves that still is having new episodes made. It's a great list to be frank but I dunno if I'd call it a "ton" :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's...actually quite a few more quality shows than what Japan has managed to keep on in the past few years.

Western web animation also has been killing it the past three or four years.

The SAO mega fan I get, but you too Gucci? Come on, man. It's great.

But why though? Have you given it a shot?

I'm generally not a fan of western shows that take on an anime look. That's not to say I only watch animated shows from Japan; I'm a HUGE fan of shows like Clarence, Regular Show, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, etc. I just never got on the Avatar bandwagon. I remember seeing the promos back in high school and being pumped to watch but the first few episodes suck so I dropped and never came back. Don't have any desire to pick it back up either.

Besides TMNT are there any left?
TMNT 2003 was the shit, I can't get into the new one. Terrible artstyle in my opinion.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Avatar as an all ages show is better than just about everything Japan has put out...ever. Very satisfying kids show. Yeah, it starts off a bit rough, but it ends in spectacular fashion.

Korra starts off even rougher, has an absolute train wreck of a second season but apparently gets good in the second half.

Jarate

Banned
That's...actually quite a few more quality shows than what Japan has managed to keep on in the past few years.

Western web animation also has been killing it the past three or four years.
Western animation has gotten a huge boost, mostly from the awesome flash animators a lot of us had growing up making new shows.

But all of them have been comedies, which is fine, but I just wish there were good action shows

But thinking heavily on it, other then comic book shows, most western action cartoons kind of blow, and most adult animation is purely for comedy

Id love to see animation go farther into more serious topics, but TV execs will never do that

Crocodile

Let's not go into national list wars here, that can never end well. Let's just appreciate animation no matter where in the world it comes from.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Western animation has gotten a huge boost, mostly from the awesome flash animators a lot of us had growing up making new shows.

But all of them have been comedies, which is fine, but I just wish there were good action shows

But thinking heavily on it, other then comic book shows, most western action cartoons kind of blow, and most adult animation is purely for comedy

Id love to see animation go farther into more serious topics, but TV execs will never do that

They are all pretty much DCAU shows, the handful of Marvel shows that are pretty good, the various shows Mainframe did, and the two Avatar shows. I mean, a lot of that content is world class but yeah, pretty much just Avatar and Comic Book shows.

This isn't an east v west list war and I didn't think the discussion was trending in that direction. Just saying I disagree with the statement that Avatar as an all ages show is better than anything Japan has EVER put out. Like, that's such an absurd claim to me but I'm not a fan of the property.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This isn't an east v west list war and I didn't think the discussion was trending in that direction. Just saying I disagree with the statement that Avatar as an all ages show is better than anything Japan has EVER put out. Like, that's such an absurd claim to me but I'm not a fan of the property.

I said just about better than anything Japan has come out with in that category. It is that good and I stand by what I said as someone who has watched a crapton of Japanese shows.

It's sad that 90% of western animation on TV aimed at any age group is largely comedic focused, not that I have a problem with comedy I just wish we had more variety in our cartoon series. Say what you will about Rebels/TMNT 2012's art style or Avatar/Korra's story telling/animation but thank god some people still try to make series like them in this day and age.

Gorillaz

I think the saddest thing about Korra/Avatar ending was the fact that you can feel that is basically the end of western action. If we do see more it will be extremely comedic driven like Titans Go. There is no money in it for TV companies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Only if it's action anime at this point, and even that's dying out.
Toonami is the only one to air action anime on TV.
Cartoon Network airs Pokemon... and that's it.
Disney XD and Nicktoons tried with Shippuden and DBZ Kai, but they failed to really capitalize on them and now Toonami has them. Now XD just airs Doraemon (which isn't that bad but it's not an action series), and I have no idea what Nicktoons is doing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am sure the pendulum will eventually swing back, 30-35 years ago it was all action with patches of shows like The Smurfs trying to pass themselves off as comedies.

Jarate

Banned
I think the saddest thing about Korra/Avatar ending was the fact that you can feel that is basically the end of western action. If we do see more it will be extremely comedic driven like Titans Go. There is no money in it for TV companies.
We'll see something, just need a product to attach to it

Avatar was horrible in that respect because theres really nothing you can sell

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Another problem with Korra is it was so shackled by the animation age ghetto, Western Animation can not seemingly do serious action without some tinge of comedy to make it viable.

Jarate

Banned
Another problem with Korra is it was so shackled by the animation age ghetto, Western Animation can not seemingly do serious action without some tinge of comedy to make it viable.
Theres nothing wrong with comedy, but Avatar had really shitty comedy

Grexeno

Yeah, having to air on a kid's network shackles it in that regard.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Hey, you're a phony!"

I'm surprised Family Guy didn't try to exploit that guy post-cancellation like they did all the other one-shot characters (Herbert)

Crocodile

I mean that statement certainly borderlines on hyperbole but I was afraid of the conversation going that route and kind of wanted to re-empt that.

I said just about better than anything Japan has come out with in that category. It is that good and I stand by what I said as someone who has watched a crapton of Japanese shows.

What does "all ages" even mean between the countries? Stuff like Naruto is primetime stuff over there but has to air after midnight here to remain uncut.

It's sad that 90% of western animation on TV aimed at any age group is largely comedic focused, not that I have a problem with comedy I just wish we had more variety in our cartoon series. Say what you will about Rebels/TMNT 2012's art style or Avatar/Korra's story telling/animation but thank god some people still try to make series like them in this day and age.

That's my biggest beef. Like take the new series Death Parade. Nothing like that would EVER be made in the US despite that we definitely have the animation and writing talent for it. Also, how rarely individual animators seem to be able to express themselves in Western TV animation (i.e. saukga). You can often see a cut in an anime and know IMMEDIATELY who did it (Space Dandy is a poster boy for this) but that really doesn't feel to be the case for Western TV animation and that sucks :(

Jarate

Banned
Attack on Titan - WHAT AM I, IM A PERSON TITAN THING

DBZ - Training for saiyans

Naruto - nothing

Inuyasha - not enough post space to explain what happens in that 30 minute time frame

One Piece - recap

Gurren Lagann - Awesome

this is when I go to sleep but youre welcome Seda B)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
11:30 - Attack on Titan - 10 - Response: The Struggle for Trost, Part 6
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 6 - The End of Snake Way! King Kai's Bizarre Test!
12:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 49 - Something Important...
1:00 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 5 - The Great Holy Demon Spirit’s Test
1:30 - One Piece - 283 - Everything is for Her Friends! Robin in the Darkness!
1:55 - Straw Hat Theater - 5 - Monster Time - END
2:00 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 17 - You Don't Know Anything
2:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 2 - Antidote -Candy-
3:00 - Bleach - 291 - A Desperate Struggle with Aizen! Hirako, Shikai!
3:30 - Space Dandy - 10 - There's Always Tomorrow, Baby
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop (Uncut) - 2 - Stray Dog Strut
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 14 - POKER FACE
5:00 - IGPX - 2 - Win... or Lose
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 48 - Jack vs. Aku

Raxus

I love how in Kai we already reached King Kai.

That took, what 20 episodes in the OG series?

Edit: Just checked. Close. 18 episodes.

BBboy20

Phew, got my wisdom teeth removed a few hours ago. Went really well & not feeling a ton of side effects (didn't even feel "out of it" from anesthesia afterwards). Just sucks my food choices are limited for a week or so.

Wouldn't mind being able to meet a few online people in person, but of course I'm in MI, the state where it feels like nothing exciting happens.
You'll be fine.

Do Americans rather get their action out of shooting people in virtual space and nothing but LT, RT, and X? Even action movies are an dying art these days. Actually, it seems like action anything but video games are dying. Like, we used to be the action capital of the world and yet everyone else is picking up the slack and yet Americans are not even paying attention to them. =/ What happened to us?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You'll be fine.
Yeah, I recovered rather quickly. Heck, my stomach hurts more than my mouth on the grounds my food options are extremely limited at the moment.

& so glad this is the final damn recap episode of One Piece so we can get the plot going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom