• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIBBONS ALMARK.

The weirdest bit is that the normal humans had proper names, but the Innovators all had these fucking awful names. Like, what's the implication there? The scientists who grew them had the worst naming sense ever??
Revive Revival. Fuck off with that shit.
I know basically nothing about AGE so I missed that train
I did 1 1/2 eps. Let that sink in. School Days dude did only 1 1/2 eps of Gundam Age.

cntr

Banned
For some reason I'm reminded of that Konami conference where some poor smuck had to sell a Gradius-like game that was based on boobs and fanservice

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No, it was Otomedius. & instead of being like "HEY, you remember Gradius? IT'S JUST LIKE THAT!!!", they were like "um.......here's an anime opening with no gameplay footage"

Which sucks because I was looking forward to the game being a shmup fan...

& I don't think Parodius has ever gotten any US releases, or at least the most popular/well received ones. Edit: NOPE. Europe only got the 2nd game, which was on NES & SNES over there, & that's it.

Also, Otomedius' artwork was by the guy who did Sgt. Frog.

Regiruler

I finished last night's naruto. I think the little hand flick that itachi did was a nice little character trait, but... yeah everything else kinda sucks.
No, it was Otomedius. & instead of being like "HEY, you remember Gradius? IT'S JUST LIKE THAT!!!", they were like "um.......here's an anime opening with no gameplay footage"

& I don't think Parodius has ever gotten any US releases, or at least the most popular/well received ones. Edit: NOPE. Europe only got the 2nd game, which was on NES & SNES over there, & that's it.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE CHARACTER DESIGNS

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE CHARACTER DESIGNS
They're suppose to be based on other Konami shmups & games. Like one character is meant to represent Twin Bee (i.e. she's the granddaughter of the villain from one of the games, while one is inspired by Castlevania to the point her last name is Belmont & even uses holy water as bombs.

The sky pirate bikini cat girl boss is meant to be a reference to this boss from Parodius:

Parodius_(Arcade)_11.png

In fact, there's two girls in bunny outfits who're basically inspired by the two bunny girls from Parodius.

....this was back when Konami was a fun company & not................Konami of now.

Edit: Also, the name is a play on "Otome", or "young girl".

cntr

Banned
I wonder if there's an English patch for Segagaga?

Fake edit: Looks like people have tried, but it hasn't panned out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if there's an English patch for Segagaga?

Fake edit: Looks like people have tried, but it hasn't panned out.
Sadly, none exist from what I've seen/heard. I would LOVE to try this game one day, but it seems to be so text heavy, which is probably why an English patch hasn't happened yet. Doesn't help there's some obscure references that we as an US audience wouldn't get (like how characters would say "RPG is a trademark of Bandai" after talking about a RPG since there was a time that Bandai actually tried to trademark the term "RPG" for themselves, but of course, this didn't pan out). You'd think a game that's basically a love letter to Sega & their final "hurrah" on the Dreamcast would've gotten some kind of fan translation over the years.

Man FMA: Brotherhood characters are way better written and balanced than Naruto characters, especially the females. Can't wait to get Lan Fan and Olivier Armstrong, Izumi is still top tier. Need to be reintroduced with panda girl cause I barely remember her.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FMA is perhaps one of the few series that has a lot of characters, but all of them feel like they serve a purpose to the story or motivations to other characters. They were handled well & partly why the series is so great.

zulux21

i'm finally getting around to watching rwby.

season 1, was okay, with a lot of bad writing especially with juane.
season 2, was pretty good.
season 3, was full blown stupid in the middle, I thought the early juane stuff was bad but holy crap akami ga kill looks like brilliant writing compared to the crap in the middle of the season. The end of the season wasn't horrible though.

I am hoping the current season is at least better :/

I figured some people in here watch it, so I am hoping someone can tell me season 4 is better so far (to be fair the first half of season 3 wasn't bad)

Mizerman

FMA is perhaps one of the few series that has a lot of characters, but all of them feel like they serve a purpose to the story or motivations to other characters. They were handled well & partly why the series is so great.

FMA is one of my favorites and rarely have anything negative to say about it.

i'm finally getting around to watching rwby.

season 1, was okay, with a lot of bad writing especially with juane.
season 2, was pretty good.
season 3, was full blown stupid in the middle, I thought the early juane stuff was bad but holy crap akami ga kill looks like brilliant writing compared to the crap in the middle of the season. The end of the season wasn't horrible though.

I am hoping the current season is at least better :/

I figured some people in here watch it, so I am hoping someone can tell me season 4 is better so far (to be fair the first half of season 3 wasn't bad)

Well, I enjoy RWBY for what it is (though S1 was a bit of a slog to go through). All I can say is that if you're not fully enjoying it so far, you might as well cut your losses. Especially since Jaune is a major character in the series.

Raxus

You should do yourself a favor and watch A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix instead of RWBY.

As far as series go I would say the best ones tend to focus on a small cast (Ideally Cowboy Bebops cast of 4-5) or have the time to develop their large casts equally (FMA).

zulux21

You should do yourself a favor and watch A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix instead of RWBY.

that is high up on my list of things to watch next as I have been looking forward to it coming out as it looks solid and I like NPH :p

gonna finish catching up on RWBY most likely first. Even with my extreme disappointment in horrible plot choices, the series still at least has cool fights and I am kind of in the mood for cool stupid fights lol.

Well, I enjoy RWBY for what it is (though S1 was a bit of a slog to go through). All I can say is that if you're not fully enjoying it so far, you might as well cut your losses. Especially since Jaune is a major character in the series.

through 3 seasons juane continues to be pretty much pointless to exist lol.
you could remove him and the story really wouldn't change at all.

and to be fair I don't hate his character, I hate his existence which is quite different :p.
I have never been able to get past the stupid that is

the fact that in this elite school he managed to get in by cheating despite apparently them going on record to say that they do extensive screening and a physical test before they accept someone, and if that wasn't bad enough despite it seemingly being his dream to be an elite warrior he didn't learn even the basics of how to do so. I understand he is set up to be an underdog and be rooted for in general, but sure lets set him up as a useless cheat :/ screw him he should have been found out and expelled. it would have been far more cliche but less stupid just have had him get on the school merely on his parents name or something :/

while I was really annoyed, I also became quite impressed that they managed to top that in stupid for season 3 though lol.

Already did pretty good stuff.

It takes a while to get going, but it definitely avoided most of the issues the movie version had and turned out quite enjoyable.

Some of the humor may not be for everyone though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aaaahhhhh, just replayed the Nier Automata demo, that boss is sooooo gooooddddd. I'm debating if I should try on Very Hard now, pretty much used all my healing items on Hard.

Freakin' wish there was a Drakengard HD Collection, or at the very least, were ported to PS4. I want to play more of Taro Yoko's games (so close to finishing Drakengard 3, but I keep putting it off because I've heard the true final boss is bullshit or something) & should get back to playing Nier from my friend.

....but uh, to be back on topic.....

As far as series go I would say the best ones tend to focus on a small cast (Ideally Cowboy Bebops cast of 4-5) or have the time to develop their large casts equally (FMA).
Agreed. Or heck, Space Dandy only had 3 main characters with a few supporting ones & for the most part, they worked. Plus for S1, my favorite episodes are easily the ones focusing on QT & Meow.

But I would also say it's also how the characters interact with each other. It's why Soul Eater also had a great group of characters.

BBboy20

That game resides in my home.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That game resides in my home.
I got the LE for only $14 via Amazon Lightning Sale. Rather pleased by the OST that came with it, stays in my car when I want to listen to some VG music.

....man, I wish Konami would release another shmup or give us another compilation........or give us some of their Japan or arcade exclusive ones....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WayForward disappointed me.

....there was no Mighty Switch Force announced for the Switch.

But all seriousness, I've begun to realize while Nintendo future-proofed my purchase for the Switch, this year itself kind of is...eeehhhh? Yeah, Zelda & Mario (which is holiday uugghhh the wait) & Splatoon 2 & maybe Bomberman will be good, but Xenoblade 2? I doubt it'll be 2017 for the US unless they already worked on the localization. No More Heroes? Not hitting this year. Shin Megami Tensei? Looks like they barely started on it. Fire Emblem Warriors? Also doubting it's coming this year, unless the Direct on Wednesday focusing on it proves me wrong. Ultra Street Fighter 2? You KNOW that'll hit PSN/Xbox Live eventually since it'll be at EVO eventually. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? ....yeah, it's a port but damn it, Battle Mode is back & INKLINGS ARE PLAYING.

Everything else looks "eehhh? Maybe?" or is multiplatform. If Zelda wasn't a launch title, I probably would've decided to wait until Mario was out. I just hope we hear news of the Virtual Console & they confirm Gamecube will be added.

Edit: & I say this as someone who already owns a PS4. I guess if you only had the Switch, there's still some decent stuff like Puyo Puyo Tetris, Sonic Mania, the 5th version of Skyrim, Arms might turn out alright, the 10th version of Minecraft, Arcade Archives, Rayman Legends, & I Am Setsuna (....that did turn out good, right??)

zulux21

I have 3 switch games preordered, but yeah I see no reason to get one until holiday 2018 lol.

the zelda game will just sit and collect dust. I just want the CE, I have the wiiu version preordered as well and I will just play that.

the other games I have preordered are fire emblem warriors and xenoblade 2 since best buy put them up and because of GCU and visa check out means I can get both of them for $39 each shipped day 1.

you know in 2018 or so when they come out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have the Zelda Master Edition pre-ordered, I might get Bomberman if I hear good things (i.e. that whole micro-transaction thing is proven false), I'll pick up MK8 Deluxe, maybe get Splatoon 2 (I just don't want to hear ARE YOU GONNA PLAY THE SPLATFEST, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA CHOOSE, HOW COME YOU DIDN'T PLAY THE SPLATFEST from my co-worker every week), & maybe Arms if the reaction is positive.

....also Puyo Puyo Tetris because the damn keychains don't come with the PS4 version & it's probably one of the better examples of showing people how you have 2P ready to go with the system.

I just wanted to voice my opinion since the presentation itself showed me "OMG ALL THESE GAMES ARE ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR SWITCH, PURCHASE WILL BE JUSTIFIED", but I fully understand why people would rather wait for Nintendo to confirm a bundle that includes Super Mario Odyssey since they want to wait & see what else gets confirmed/more specific dates.

I know it won't happen, but I sure hope the 3rd party is much stronger compared to the Wii U.

zulux21

I have the Zelda Master Edition pre-ordered, I might get Bomberman if I hear good things (i.e. that whole micro-transaction thing is proven false), I'll pick up MK8 Deluxe, maybe get Splatoon 2 (I just don't want to hear ARE YOU GONNA PLAY THE SPLATFEST, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA CHOOSE, HOW COME YOU DIDN'T PLAY THE SPLATFEST from my co-worker every week), & maybe Arms if the reaction is positive.

....also Puyo Puyo Tetris because the damn keychains don't come with the PS4 version & it's probably one of the better examples of showing people how you have 2P ready to go with the system.

I just wanted to voice my opinion since the presentation itself showed me "OMG ALL THESE GAMES ARE ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR SWITCH, PURCHASE WILL BE JUSTIFIED", but I fully understand why people would rather wait for Nintendo to confirm a bundle that includes Super Mario Odyssey since they want to wait & see what else gets confirmed/more specific dates.

I know it won't happen, but I sure hope the 3rd party is much stronger compared to the Wii U.
I don't really play mario kart as it is, and would rather just play the version I already own.
splatoon doesn't really interest me though I do like the character designs and actually have the amiibos :p
arms looked horrible to me.
as for puyo tetris I will get it on the ps4 most likely as I doubt that my wife would play it with me, and even when I get a switch I can't see me paying for internet access on it. (I don't even know if it has online play, if not still ps4 just because it will be a while before i get a switch)

Jarate

Banned
Reasons to get a switch before holidays of 2018

-Super Mario
-Legend of Zelda

Arent these the same reasons everyone else gets a nintendo system.

The Switch will hopefully have great japanese support just like the 3ds, and the DS had. just thinking of last gen, 3ds had great japanese support and so did the DS. The system will be too weak to run "modern" games so it won't get western dev. I like japanese games, and most japanese games are made for mobile devices.

I apparently didnt preorder fast enough, which im kind of glad. I probably wont wait for a revision, but i'll probably wait for some type of minor change to fix a bug or a defect that usually occurs in a consoles first production run. 2-3 hour battery life also sounds atrocious, I hope someones makes a good battery pack for it

zulux21

-Super Mario
-Legend of Zelda

The Switch will hopefully have great japanese support just like the 3ds, and the DS had. just thinking of last gen, 3ds had great japanese support and so did the DS. The system will be too weak to run "modern" games so it won't get western dev. I like japanese games, and most japanese games are made for mobile devices.

I apparently didnt preorder fast enough, which im kind of glad. I probably wont wait for a revision, but i'll probably wait for some type of minor change to fix a bug or a defect that usually occurs in a consoles first production run. 2-3 hour battery life also sounds atrocious, I hope someones makes a good battery pack for it

I got my wiiu mostly for hyrule warriors and smash bros :p
I got my 3ds for eventual ace attorney games.

I will get a switch for fire emblem warriors and xenoblade and megaten 5.

the mario game looks decent, but I will need to see more before i am sold on it, as mario games since mario 64 really haven't wowed me.

at least the new mario game looks like a proper sequel to mario 64 instead of the meh design galaxy had (yes I don't like mario galaxy, the tiny planets annoyed me and most of the "cool" mechanics they added I played in fan mods of mario world years before galaxy came out lol)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like Holiday 2017 will be when more people will give in to the Switch, considering that's when Mario comes out (hence why I'm guessing Nintendo will make a bundle including the game) & we'll have better ideas when more games are coming out.

But yeah, if it gets the same support 3DS gets from the Japanese side, I'm pretty much content & partly why I get a Nintendo console. The presentation itself passed my "there must be enough games equal to the cost of the system to warrant buying it" test, & I'm sure throughout the year, more games will be confirmed that'll make me happy I got one.

I would assume most fans who were waiting for BotW probably have a Wii U & might be content with just getting that version since it's not as big of a difference compared to Twilight Princess, though I'm sure "TAKE THIS NEW ZELDA ON THE GO!" is very alluring to some people.

& I also understand that the first year of the system doesn't usually have the best games, as it takes time for the developers to fully understand & realize what they can do with the tech. I'm very happy with my 3DS, but I also understand the first year for it was veerrryyyyy lacking. Just saying some people probably know they'll want one, but they'll probably want to wait for more games to be confirmed, a lower price, a revision, etc.

I fully agree with you, Jarate, I just wanted to say that I was understanding the view point from the other side.

zulux21

I feel like Holiday 2017 will be when more people will give in to the Switch, considering that's when Mario comes out (hence why I'm guessing Nintendo will make a bundle including the game) & we'll have better ideas when more games are coming out..

eh... nintendo's last few years with the 3ds have made it pretty clear that the only special switch you could expect that time is one with a mario skin on it with the game separate. they really only bundle games that are over a year old with their consoles anymore :/

that being said.... if the thing sells as poorly as I expect it to (no need to debate this time will tell)... bundling the new mario game and still charging $300 for it for the holiday might be what they do.

I would assume most fans who were waiting for BotW probably have a Wii U & might be content with just getting that version since it's not as big of a difference compared to Twilight Princess, though I'm sure "TAKE THIS NEW ZELDA ON THE GO!" is very alluring to some people.

true, but for me I Would never really want to play the zelda game on the go.

I've never had good success playing games like that or kingdom hearts ect on the go. it's part of the reason I am getting the kingdom hearts 2.8 collection as despite buying dream drop distance near release, I never got more than a little bit into it as I wasn't motivated enough to play it at home, and never could get into it on the go.

i tend to play a lot more stuff that i can multitask with on the go.

Jarate

Banned
All Mario games are masterpieces. Even if you don't like them (I dont really like Sunshine all that much) you still comprehend just how good Nintendo is at making an amazing ass game and your complaints are more critical nitpicking more then anything

Ive also just finished the audio book for a video game history book (Published in 2000) that really covered the early parts of video games, and Shigeru Miyamoto is a fucking genius. Miyamoto made fucking Donkey Kong, think of how much progress there has been in the realm of game design since Donkey Kong was released

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fair enough. Some games work better on the go, others at home on the TV.

I don't know, for some reason, these last few days, I've kind of been in a more "serious thought" mood about games lately.

.........like while playing Caladrius Blaze, I realized "boy, most shmup plots are AWFUL, people point to fighting games trying to shoehorn in a plot, but at least stuff like BlazBlue ATTEMPT to have a story that matters"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm buying an English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris so I can know what they're saying in the Story Mode.

..........oh & I guess the GAMEPLAY.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a goddamn masterpiece of writing, yo.
No lies detected. Even one offs like Paninya get a back story and have a ton of personality...wait is she a one off? I've watched it in entirety, but haven't seen it in years.
Is FMA as old as Naruto? I feel like Kishi could've learned a lot about character handling by reading FMA. Or at the very least do a better job of copying Togashi's HxH elements.

Regiruler

-Super Mario
-Legend of Zelda

Zelda's not a reason when the people a Switch is trying to be sold to can already play it on Wii U (as it was originally intended).

There's a lot more hesitation to upgrade than there was from Wii -> Wii U I feel. Lack of BC for both controllers and games seals that.

cntr

Banned
Is FMA as old as Naruto? I feel like Kishi could've learned a lot about character handling by reading FMA. Or at the very least do a better job of copying Togashi's HxH elements.
Much as I dislike comparing it to Naruto and to risk getting into fanboyism again, check out My Hero Academia. It has a Naruto-esque huge cast, but it's getting towards and likely to end up Fullmetal Alchemist-level in how well it handles them. (YMMV, but I really like the cast and how they're handled.)

Much as I dislike comparing it to Naruto and to risk getting into fanboyism again, check out My Hero Academia. It has a Naruto-esque huge cast, but it's getting towards and likely to end up Fullmetal Alchemist-level in how well it handles them. (YMMV, but I really like the cast and how they're handled.)
I'll get to this at some point. I heard the anime is still in "set up" mode though. I'll probably tackle either Mob Psycho 100 or One Punch Man before I watch it.

cntr

Banned
I'll get to this at some point. I heard the anime is still in "set up" mode though. I'll probably tackle either Mob Psycho 100 or One Punch Man before I watch it.
Just check out the manga. It's only about 120 chapters at the moment, and the art and designs are greato. Especially compared to the anime.

Yeah I heard the MHA anime dumbed down the designs a lot. I guess after I deal with my Jojo back log I'll read MHA at some point. I'm not the fastest manga reader, especially if I have to play catch up.

cntr

Banned
Nah, the anime designs were mostly fine, but it was a bit...weak, animation and detail-wise. Someone on the podcast mentioned that it's like they got a bunch of top-tier animators, and they put in their B- job. And it kind of hurts the series, combined with the bad pacing. And white the voice acting kind of makes up for it, the manga relies heavily on body language to convey character, and the anime doesn't really pull it off as well.

There's one specific moment which is great in the manga, but is pretty "ok" in the anime 'cause of the detail downgrade.

Yeah I'm most likely just going to skip right to part 5 now. Not like I don't know what happens in 1-4...even though I managed to finish part 1, but it's the shortest part. I couldn't even finish volume 1 of part 2. I already know what happens minus a couple of deleted things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom