• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful sketch of Hisoka's boner, SAB CA.

Later ToonamiGAF.

Thanks a lot! Tablet C&P sucks, lol. Only the 1st is needed, included 2nd in case the minor image editing didn't take, ha.

LATER guys, another solid Toonami night, I kinda even liked HxH tonight! ;)

Ha, didn't realize the other is a mirror. Eff it, showing more of the wonderful sketch you did isn't a bad thing. =P

Moaradin

Oh yeah, episode 3 was the last episode of Super I watched until way later. Looking forward to watching brand new content from now on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*expects to get out of work in about 4 hours based on yesterday*
*....6.5 hours later....*

Freakin' hell, I forgot tonight was also the 2nd to last OPM episode.....

& screw it, I'm using the extra day I had to work & putting the money I earned towards Nichijou. I've never owned anime on DVD/Blu-Ray & I want to rewatch a series that I know will make me happy/laugh, along with rewarding Funimation for rescuing the series from licensing limbo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
.............oh god freakin'..........

........was this the HxH episode that gave birth to the
SCHWING
gif/pic?

Also, Adult Swim doesn't have the newest Jojo up.....

Moaradin

tumblr_m5qy2dtXOd1qjbfe3.gif

For what its worth, I really appreciate that Kishi actually put unambiguously Black characters into his anime/manga (a pillar of shonen for the years it ran) and made several of them good/major characters.

For real? I'm assuming your joking but LOL if real

The Hidden Cloud are second only to the Leaf. Killer B raps but, he's the only one that does so in a village of mostly Black folk. The Hidden Cloud are the last good to come from Naruto.

Regiruler

I called it quits after unicorn last night.

Going to catch up on hunter and naruto today. May also rewatch the last two one punch man because we're in the final arc.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Punch Man is a really good show but not one that holds any interest to me after TOONAMI basically showed it three times in six months. It's not on that GITS:SAC, FLCL, or Cowboy Bebop level where I'll gladly watch it twice a night on endless repeat.

cntr

Banned
Some context for the Newtype and Zeon stuff (also spoilers), since Unicorn isn't really going to make sense without it: UC Gundam was written in the late 70s and 80s, right around the time psychics were popular in science fiction. That's what Newtypes are, space opera psychics.

Since Newtypes have literal telepathy (that can work unconsciously), they get together and start wanting to bone pretty quickly. It's anime as fuck, but it kind of makes sense since telepathy is OP.

A guy who founded a space colony country called "Zeon" decided "Hey, Newtypes are a pretty dope idea for making everybody friends and ending war.", and then he was killed because politics. A guy called Degwin Zabi (Space Hitler) took over Zeon and turned it into Space Nazi Germany, and threw a giant space colony onto Sydney as a declaration of independence from the Earth Federation. Also they had a really cool guy called Char Aznable

Then they figured out Newtypes were pretty OP for mecha, since you could stick a bunch of psychic receivers ("psycommu", a name that sounds like crap in English) onto one and have a Newtype control it with their mind, Pacific Rim-style ("psycoframe", also sounds pretty bad). Plus, the Minovsky reactors used in space and mobile suits break wireless communication, but don't do shit to psychic signals, so your mecha can now fire guns that shoot lasers!

Oh and they invented a way to make Newtypes artificially and then called them "Cyber-Newtypes", which probably sounded better 30 years ago.

After the original series and Zeta Gundam, Zeon blew up, and the guys who were left behind formed Neo Zeon. Think Galactic Empire -> First Order, and you get the idea. Then they also blew up,
and Char died
. And then a third Neo Zeon popped up, led by a guy called Full Frontal, and they got nicknamed "the Sleeves" for reasons. They're basically Space Al-Qaeda. And that's where Unicorn starts.

Some context for the Newtype and Zeon stuff, since Unicorn isn't really going to make sense without it: UC Gundam was written in the late 70s and 80s, right around the time psychics were popular in science fiction. That's what Newtypes are, space opera psychics.

Since Newtypes have literal telepathy (that can work unconsciously), they get together and start wanting to bone pretty quickly. It's anime as fuck, but it kind of makes sense since telepathy is OP.

A guy who founded a space colony country called "Zeon" decided "Hey, Newtypes are a pretty dope idea for making everybody friends and ending war.", and then he was killed because politics. A guy called Degwin Zabi (Space Hitler) took over Zeon and turned it into Space Nazi Germany, and threw a giant space colony onto Sydney as a declaration of independence from the Earth Federation. Also they had a really cool guy called Char Aznable

Then they figured out Newtypes were pretty OP for mecha, since you could stick a bunch of psychic receivers ("psycommu", a name that sounds like crap in English) onto one and have a Newtype control it with their mind, Pacific Rim-style ("psycoframe", also sounds pretty bad). Plus, the Minovsky reactors used in space and mobile suits break wireless communication, but don't do shit to psychic signals, so your mecha can now fire guns that shoot lasers!

Oh and they invented a way to make Newtypes artificially and then called them "Cyber-Newtypes", which probably sounded better 30 years ago.

After the original series and Zeta Gundam, Zeon blew up, and the guys who were left behind formed Neo Zeon. Think Galactic Empire -> First Order, and you get the idea. Then they also blew up, and Char died. And then a third Neo Zeon popped up, led by a guy called Full Frontal, and they got nicknamed "the Sleeves" for reasons. They're basically Space Al-Qaeda. And that's where Unicorn starts.

This is awesome thanks :D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Some context for the Newtype and Zeon stuff

Can you spoiler mark this? I didn't realize when starting that "some context" here meant a blow by blow spoiling of many of the major events of the main UC series, especially since it starts off with some more general and useful information before suddenly jumping into detailed spoilers.

cntr

Banned
Can you spoiler mark this? I didn't realize when starting that "some context" here meant a blow by blow spoiling of many of the major events of the main UC series, especially since it starts off with some more general and useful information before suddenly jumping into detailed spoilers.
Oh crap, sorry. Will do.

Some context for the Newtype and Zeon stuff (also spoilers), since Unicorn isn't really going to make sense without it: UC Gundam was written in the late 70s and 80s, right around the time psychics were popular in science fiction. That's what Newtypes are, space opera psychics.

After the original series and Zeta Gundam, Zeon blew up, and the guys who were left behind formed Neo Zeon. Think Galactic Empire -> First Order, and you get the idea. Then they also blew up,
and Char died
. And then a third Neo Zeon popped up, led by a guy called Full Frontal, and they got nicknamed "the Sleeves" for reasons. They're basically Space Al-Qaeda. And that's where Unicorn starts.
So explain to me what happened in the 1st three episodes. The colony that Bagaher was living in is controlled by The Federation? Was Banagher's father in cahoots with The Sleeves? The Sleeves want to use LaPlaces box to completely free themselves from The Federation? How did The Federation pop out of no where to confront The Sleeves? So Gundum was a mobile suit used to fight the spacenoids? Are The Sleeves now going to use it to fight The Federation? I'm so confused.

cntr

Banned
All this is a lot clearer as a single episode, but yeah Banagher's on a Federation industrial colony. His dad has a thing called "Laplace's Box", which contains [a thing] that can take down the Federation, and he meets up with a guy from the Sleeves to give the "key to Laplace's Box" to them. Except the Federation finds out, and decides to burn the colony down. They attack their own colony because like everybody else in the UC, they're dicks. And that basically ends the armstice between the Federation and the Sleeves.

Also this is a lot more obvious when watched together, but Laplace's Box shares a name with the space colony that blows up during the flashback in Episode 1, and the "key" is
the Unicorn Gundam.

All this is a lot clearer as a single episode, but yeah Banagher's on a Federation industrial colony. His dad has a thing called "Laplace's Box", which contains [a thing] that can take down the Federation, and he meets up with a guy from the Sleeves to give the "key to Laplace's Box" to them. Except the Federation finds out, and decides to burn the colony down. They attack their own colony because like everybody else in the UC, they're dicks. And that basically ends the armstice between the Federation and the Sleeves.

Also this is a lot more obvious when watched together, but Laplace's Box shares a name with the space colony that blows up during the flashback in Episode 1, and the "key" is
the Unicorn Gundam.
His dad doesn't have Laplace's Box.
The coordinates to the Laplace's Box are built into the navigation system of the Unicorn Gundam, that's mostly the reason why people become interested in trying to capture it and Banagher.

the Unicorn Gundam.

So that's why Banagher's father was shocked when he saw Albert. He's the one that betrayed him?

Regarding the first episode. The terrorist attack that blew up the space colony LaPlace and The Federation's PM was done by Neo Zeon? Was it a suicide mission and the old man was the only survivor?

I think they ran '79 and Zeta years ago on the original Toonami? But yeah, it's kind of awkward.

Zeta was never run but '79 was but got halted due to 9/11.

0080 and 08th Mobile Suit Team were Midnight Runs and I think 0083 was one of Adult Swim's first IIRC.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
UC shows on TOONAMI or Adult Swim Action.

Mobile Suit Gundam, 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, Char's Counterattack.

Zeta has a usable dub but it came hella late. ZZ doesn't have a dub good enough to air over here.

I'm honestly completely okay with the spoilers for old UC shows and Unicorn Gundam since without them the plot would be completely indecipherable

On Newtypes from the Gundam Wiki:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Newtype

A Newtype (ニュータイプ Nyūtaipu?) is a person who has reached a new stage of human evolution in the Gundam universe. The theory behind this minor but groundbreaking metamorphosis is: in order to adapt to life in space, the human body evolved with heightened mental awareness. As such, Newtypes tend to appear among Spacenoids, although not exclusively (Amuro Ray, arguably the most famous Newtype, was actually born on Earth although he is raised in space). Appearing in the Universal Century timeline (chronologically the first), they are also present in the After War timeline.

Newtypes have an extremely high degree of focus and spatial awareness, almost a sixth sense. They are capable of empathically detecting other Newtypes and are sensitive to the hostile intentions directed at them by others, allowing them to uncannily react to their opponents even before the offender carries out the intended action. Some Newtypes also exhibit telepathic abilities or use psychokinesis. Kamille Bidan, the pilot of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam was able to channel sheer emotional pressure for summoning the spirits of his dead friends to boost his unit's power for a brief but devastating attack.

The abilities of the Newtype are kept very abstract and treated as mysterious events much the same way the Force is treated in the original Star Wars trilogy. Bright Noa; "So Newtypes don't necessarily have psychic powers?" Sayla Mass:"Yes" - episode 41 of gundam.

One of the Universal Century's greatest social conflicts is the exploitation of these advanced humans. Heralded by scientists and philosophers upon their discovery as a beacon of hope for the future of humanity, the various series of the UC timeline show that these humans have merely become cannon fodder for greedy politicians and violent militarists, creating even more war and destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom