• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Unicorn assumes you know the major events from the original, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack. Which isn't really far-fetched in Japan since everybody knows all that from cultural osmosis.

It references other shows in the UC timeline, but they're pretty minor references.

So that's why Banagher's father was shocked when he saw Albert. He's the one that betrayed him?

Regarding the first episode. The terrorist attack that blew up the space colony LaPlace and The Federation's PM was done by Neo Zeon? Was it a suicide mission and the old man was the only survivor?

Zeon wasnt around yet, much yet neo neon. That is spoilers material but..
the Laplace attack was planned by Federation members that dissented..

Laplace blue up uc 0001. Zeon stated doing stuff in the 50s

cntr

Banned
Gundam: The Origin is a manga remake of the original with different writing and a slightly different/more coherent plot.

It has three brand new sections that are flashbacks, and they got adapted into prequel OVAs. So you don't need to watch it unless you want to later.

I never really got into Gundam Wing when it aired on Toonami thanks to the politics and a younger attention span..

I think Iron Blood Orphans was actually the first time I made it somewhat through an entire season of Gundam.

Gundam: The Origin is a manga remake of the original with different writing and a slightly different/more coherent plot.

It has three brand new sections that are flashbacks, and they got adapted into prequel OVAs. So you don't need to watch it unless you want to later.
There's also a different novelized retelling of 0079 where Amuro dies cause Sayla didn't give Amuro a good luck charm made out of her pubic hair.

The manga is a masterpiece, but I do have complaints about some changed in execution

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
can we talk about how great last night was on Toonami. Both episodes of Dragon Ball were funny, JoJo was fantastic, Gundam was absolutely gorgeous to look at even if the politics is hard to follow sometimes, Hunter x Hunter was hype as all hell, and One Piece was a good intro to a villain, even if the pacing was a little off.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely one of the best nights we've had, and next week looks to be just as good, if not better.

Yeah, next week may actually be better depending on how the first 90 minutes goes.

Jojo is real real good next week, HXH has Gon vs. Hisoka and marks the end of the Heavens Arena Arc, Naruto gets Killer B vs. Sasuke, One Piece is one of the best and most intense episodes of the entire arc once it gets going (just be prepared to see the whole Ursus Shock thing all over again, no joke), and then One Punch Man is its huge finale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's up but mislabeled as Episode 10. The title is correct.
Weird, didn't notice that. I actually just took the title of the episode & messed with the URL to finally get it to work.

I'm waiting to see if Bass wanted to do that chat while watching the shows since I'd rather watch half of the shows with another person/you guys.

Heck, I'd say if it wasn't for this group, I probably would've be watching both DB shows & Gundam. I'd probably be content with Jojo, HxH, & One Piece at the moment.

This is what happens when you've read and re-read the manga so often. You get utterly shocked by how much Toei fucks shit up when you see it in anime form. Poor Thriller Bark's ending.

But I love the Funimation voices and the music too damn much to completely disown this. And I like the color palette too. Just fix the pacing and I'm fine. I'd even be okay with the animation being meh at this point.

This is what happens when you've read and re-read the manga so often. You get utterly shocked by how much Toei fucks shit up when you see it in anime form. Poor Thriller Bark's ending.

But I love the Funimation voices and the music too damn much to completely disown this. And I like the color palette too. Just fix the pacing and I'm fine. I'd even be okay with the animation being meh at this point.

Isn't this around the time when Toei starts padding the ever loving hell out of One Piece?

Isn't this around the time when Toei starts padding the ever loving hell out of One Piece?

Yeah. It was here where I coincidentally ran out of episodes and started reading the manga. Not because of pacing but because I wanted more and I wasn't willing to wait week to week. This was in the middle of Thriller Bark so I was surprised hearing later about how they stretched it out,

Seda

I might be able to watch this next Saturday, but I have some catching up to do. I might skip out on Unicorn until I watch through Zeta, ZZ, and CCA. (I finished original Gundam - the Xs and Os were alright but a lot of the drama stuff felt awkward, people going from zero to sixty instantaneously.)

The next Naruto episode is one of the best animated ones I saw, and then we get filler, yay.

Ashby

I might be able to watch this next Saturday, but I have some catching up to do. I might skip out on Unicorn until I watch through Zeta, ZZ, and CCA. (I finished original Gundam - the Xs and Os were alright but a lot of the drama stuff felt awkward, people going from zero to sixty instantaneously.)

The next Naruto episode is one of the best animated ones I saw, and then we get filler, yay.

You are just going to love the protagonist of Zeta then!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People in Gundam tend to go from zero to sixty a lot. It's kinda their thing. Especially in the UC. Wing and SEED didn't really have those types, neither did G. Turn A does, but that's practically a UC show anyways.

People in Zeta though go from zero to nine thousand. Instant acceleration. Things escalate quickly.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People lied to me about the quality of Zeta's dub. It's basically the same people who did G Gundam only doing a slightly worse job of it. I was lead to believe it was a aired on a third rate Philippines network tier dub (which is what ZZ has, and is hilarious but incomprehensible at points)

Seda

People lied to me about the quality of Zeta's dub. It's basically the same people who did G Gundam only doing a slightly worse job of it. I was lead to believe it was a aired on a third rate Philippines network tier dub (which is what ZZ has, and is hilarious but incomprehensible at points)

Im watching the dubs.

Original Gundam dub is...not great but passable. Amuro's VA (same as Rock for Black Lagoon, dunno the actor) is okay. I think the dialogue itself could use a lot of work. Awkward pauses to fit mouth flaps - ... it would sound quite a bit better if they simply changed the writing so dialogue flowed more naturally.

Zeta isn't stellar either so far, but I would say it's a step up from original Gundam. I give them some leeway for being a bit older dubs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I didn't like MSG's dub when it originally aired but I've seen it twice since and it's really grown on me.

Rock/Amuro's VA is Brad Swaile and he makes an appearance in a lot of Gundam dubs. He's also in another great all time dub as Light in Death Note.

Kamille's a man's name...

Kamille's the best.
I actually think he's the best balanced out. There's a lot about Judau that rubs me the wrong way. I don't hate him, but don't really feel like he grew too much.
I'm like 8 episodes in. He certainly goes out of his way to to get some extreme payback.
I don't think he got a lot of parenting to be honest. There was nobody really there to keep his ass in check until he met Emma. Fa loves him so she's not going to scold him too heavily, beyond their recreational arguing.

Seda

I didn't like MSG's dub when it originally aired but I've seen it twice since and it's really grown on me.

Rock/Amuro's VA is Brad Swaile and he makes an appearance in a lot of Gundam dubs.

Yeah that's the name. He's Quatra too right?

I still don't like the Republic of Zeon name change and also making Dei Kun crazy?

I didn't think it was so much Zeon Deikunbeing crazy as much as it is overworked.
he probably died of natural causes.

As for Zeon name change? They didnt. It always went with the flow it had in Origin. It always went from Mundo to Republic of Zeon after his death, to Principality of Zeon during the war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom