• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So on top of delaying a package I was suppose to get A MONTH AGO, UPS can't even get 2nd Day Air right. "We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay."

I know it's off topic, but my god, this just continues to infuriate me just how awful UPS has been ever since I moved into my apartment. Not to mention they NEVER got back to me about the previous attempt & why nobody told me about the first attempt to deliver the package.

I think for now on, I'm sticking with Fedex. At least they have the damn knowledge to leave a package at the office instead of leaving a slip & telling me to go half way across town to pick it up at a pharmacy.

Seda

Im catching up, or trying to.

Please tell me Man God made some gifs for Buu Kai.

edit: Oh, I just realized the Buu Kai Toonami airing is a little different than the JPN airing. There's more Great Saiyaman stuff (which is good) and more flashbacks/recap (not so good). Do we know the reason for this? Wikipedia says it amounts to 8 extra episodes (although I'm not sure where they got this information), 3 of those seemingly in the early goings.

Raxus

*Me a few minutes ago*

"Oh I forgot to read promised neverland for the week"

*Me after*

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....."

I really hope this gets a 13-26 episode anime down the line covering the first arc.

Moaradin

The Promised Neverland is great. It could have been the most edgy, generic shonen trash like Seraph of the End. After the first chapter came out, I thought it would probably go in that direction. Glad I was wrong.

edit: Oh, I just realized the Buu Kai Toonami airing is a little different than the JPN airing. There's more Great Saiyaman stuff (which is good) and more flashbacks/recap (not so good). Do we know the reason for this? Wikipedia says it amounts to 8 extra episodes (although I'm not sure where they got this information), 3 of those seemingly in the early goings.

Kanzenshuu explains it pretty well but basically Toriko failing in ratings was a shock (A SHOCK I SAY!) to Toei a bit and needed to fill in a gap between its sudden cancelation and a "unannounced dragonball project" that was coming. they had Buu Kai masters that were being aired somewhere in the world and felt it would be a good fit to air that series before starting Super, problem being Buu Kai would overshoot Super's premiere date by 8 episodes as of its normal running and that wouldn't be allowed to happen.

So they cut 8 episodes and sped up the pacing and also added a new intro and ending to the japanese cut. basically call the JP cut of TFC "Buu Kai Abridged".

bigkrev

I'm in a theater right now waiting for Yugioh to start. SIGNIFICANTLY more people here at 1 on a Friday than we're here for the night showing of One Piece Gold

There are even a pair of senior citizens here!

Hmm, can't decide between Yakuza 0 and Resident Evil 7.

Two really good games I really wanna play.

The business card holder that comes with Yakuza is nicer than most trinkets that come with special editions

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hmm, can't decide between Yakuza 0 and Resident Evil 7.

Two really good games I really wanna play.

Yakuza needs the sales more which is why I'm picking it and Gravity Rush 2 up this weekend. It seems like RE7 has some pretty decent starting numbers especially after the poorly received RE6 and also seems like a fine return to form and one of the best showcases for VR. A Yakuza 0 purchase is hopefully enough with everyone else to encourage the continued release of the series in the West.

Yakuza needs the sales more which is why I'm picking it and Gravity Rush 2 up this weekend. It seems like RE7 has some pretty decent starting numbers especially after the poorly received RE6 and also seems like a fine return to form and one of the best showcases for VR. A Yakuza 0 purchase is hopefully enough with everyone else to encourage the continued release of the series in the West.
Yeah I'm getting Yakuza way before RE7 just because a new RE gets brought over here regardless. Yakuza's a different story though, we didn't think we were getting anything post 4 and I wish they released the samurai spin offs here, but they don't.

Seda

Dragon Ball Super 1-3: I've said this before, I kinda like it when we see Dragon Ball characters in more of a real-world environment - like a bunch of misfits trying to fit in with the rest of normal society. I like the laid back tone, not everything is super serious all the time. I haven't seen either of the new movies (although I've gathered some things from osmosis) but so far I don't really care about Beerus or SSG or whatever. Kid Trunks' new voice (Alexis I think?) I think does a pretty good job emulating Laura, in fact I might prefer it. Goten's voice takes some getting used to but it's not as bad as I feared based on impressions.

Buu Kai 1-3: Kinda like I said for Super, the laid back moments are a bit refreshing. Videl (at the moment) is a fun character. The show seems very giffable so far. Mainly though, the music makes this a lot more watchable to me than earlier Kai. Even if it's not spectacular, it's so much better than the replacement score, and honestly heightens my enjoyment watching this tremendously.

Jojo 10-13: I'm kinda bummed that I missed out on the opening episodes of Part 2 in the thread. It's really fun. The next episode introduces some key characters. Part 2's music is also fun. Jojo is fun.

Hunter x Hunter 32-35: Hmm, this show still hasn't really clicked with me. I don't hate it, but it's merely okay for now. Nen still feels like a mix between Naruto chakra and Dragon Ball 'ki' or something. There is a lot of exposition, and it feels Bleach-y at time. The worst exposition was when Hisoka pulled off his Phantom Troupe tattoo - me as the watcher gets the implication immediately that he's not truly aligned with them. And then 5 seconds later right at the end of the episode, the narrator has to say it plainly 'Hisoka has only been masquerading as a member of the Phantom Troupe'. Thanks narrator, I didn't catch that. Also while I'm not typically one for characters like Killua, he's much more interesting than Gon. Oh, and there are even more elements the Kishimoto "borrowed" from HxH, like using a leaf to determine their chakra Nen nature.

whatever the previous 4 episodes of One Piece were: Moria's English voice is good. So Kuma 'reflects' himself places to 'warp' around? It is interesting to see stakes getting raised slowly but surely. I don't have much to say here.

I'm still making my way through Zeta Gundam, so I still have a bit of catching up to do before I start watching Unicorn.

edit: The next episode of Naruto is well animated, at the very least.

Hunter x Hunter 32-35: Hmm, this show still hasn't really clicked with me. I don't hate it, but it's merely okay for now. Nen still feels like a mix between Naruto chakra and Dragon Ball 'ki' or something. There is a lot of exposition, and it feels Bleach-y at time. The worst exposition was when Hisoka pulled off his Phantom Troupe tattoo - me as the watcher gets the implication immediately that he's not truly aligned with them. And then 5 seconds later right at the end of the episode, the narrator has to say it plainly 'Hisoka has only been masquerading as a member of the Phantom Troupe'. Thanks narrator, I didn't catch that. Also while I'm not typically one for characters like Killua, he's much more interesting than Gon. Oh, and there are even more elements the Kishimoto "borrowed" from HxH, like using a leaf to determine their chakra Nen nature.
Oh, you think Kishi stole from HxH now? Just wait till you meet the Phantom Troupe. Also regarding when HxH finally kicks off, it's not till like I think mid way through the next arc and that arc has a couple of excellent fights to look forward to. The one thing I like the most about HxH is the lack of insane bullshit power creep. If you're a strong character in ep one that isn't Gon or Killua then you're a strong character in the later 100's. I'm in agreement with Killua being more interesting than Gon. I don't know if that's Togashi flipping the script on tropes or just how it ended up happening, but Killua's the superior character.

Chase17

Fuuka 05
I guess this guy is in the band now. And another one.
And just when I thought we were out of the worst tropes *trips face first into newly introduced character's chest*. SHOCKING TWITTER REVELATION. Guess this is a love square now. Band leveled up fast.

I guess at the very least, we got some more backstory about Mikasa (for 5 seconds).

Speculation:
Did the protagonists really drown. Are these his dreams before he died. Who knows? (not me)

I mean it's been obvious from the beginning, and it's amusing to see more and more and more and more pop up as we go.
Funny enough Naruto stole the Chunin Exams from YYH...at least in my opinion. Cause that hole haunted forest subplot was taken straight out of the first Genkai arc. I noticed that one instantly. Sasuke is a less calm Kurapika, I don't know who Killua is in Naruto, but thank god he's a great character. I think when I first started HxH I pointed out my copied observations in the Naruto thread. That whole thing is hilarious. I kind of theorized that Kishi was waiting for Togashi to finish HxH so that he could copy the HxH ending and put it in Naruto. Togashi fucked that plan up though.

Seda

Funny enough Naruto stole the Chunin Exams from YYH...at least in my opinion. Cause that hole haunted forest subplot was taken straight out of the first Genkai arc. I noticed that one instantly. Sasuke is a less calm Kurapika, I don't know who Killua is in Naruto, but thank god he's a great character. I think when I first started HxH I pointed out my copied observations in the Naruto thread. That whole thing is hilarious. I kind of theorized that Kishi was waiting for Togashi to finish HxH so that he could copy the HxH ending and put it in Naruto. Togashi fucked that plan up though.

Off the top of my head:

Sasuke is like Kurapika (only crazier), red eyes, sole survivor, avenge clan, and all that
Hunter Exam and Chuunin exam are similar.
Forest of death is like the Hunter Exam forest, finding scrolls like finding badges
Test of chakra nature similar to test of Nen nature (using a leaf/water). Chakra based off of Nen in general.
Zuchi kinda reminds me of Rock Lee

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I've always found the Heavens Arena to be the dullest part of Hunter X Hunter. It's a little slow relative to what actually gets accomplished, there aren't any real stakes since neither Killua or Gon actually give a shit about their standing in the Arena itself, and everybody including Hisoka is basically just dicking around for a few months until the next arc actually starts. It's important, and you can't really move on to what's next without it, but it's not really the most entertaining stuff that HXH has to offer.

With a notable exception to where we are right now, at the end of the arc, with Gon vs. Hisoka, of course.

Off the top of my head:

Sasuke is like Kurapika (only crazier), red eyes, sole survivor, avenge clan, and all that
Hunter Exam and Chuunin exam are similar.
Forest of death is like the Hunter Exam forest, finding scrolls like finding badges
Test of chakra nature similar to test of Nen nature (using a leaf/water). Chakra based off of Nen in general.
Zuchi kinda reminds me of Rock Lee
Rock Lee is way more relevant than Zuchi. If HxH ever got a time skip I doubt even Togashi would bother to create an aged up look for him.
I've always found the Heavens Arena to be the dullest part of Hunter X Hunter. It's a little slow relative to what actually gets accomplished, there aren't any real stakes since neither Killua or Gon actually give a shit about their standing in the Arena itself, and everybody including Hisoka is basically just dicking around for a few months until the next arc actually starts. It's important, and you can't really move on to what's next without it, but it's not really the most entertaining stuff that HXH has to offer.

With a notable exception to where we are right now, at the end of the arc, with Gon vs. Hisoka, of course.
It's mostly Killua one bitch slapping fools, Gon pushing people and throwing tiles and Gon and Killua beating up a team of handicap people.

Seda

Rock Lee is way more relevant than Zuchi. If HxH ever got a time skip I doubt even Togashi would bother to create an aged up look for him.

Yeah, It's hard to tell from my perspective what relevance he has going forward. He said he was going to train his hardest or whatnot, and I don't know if that meant we'll see him again or not.

Which is fine, not every character has to be relevant all the time.

Yeah, It's hard to tell from my perspective what relevance he has going forward. He said he was going to train his hardest or whatnot, and I don't know if that meant we'll see him again or not.

I'm not even sure if I should answer that question to a mod...um...I'll just say that more interesting people pop up in the future.

His entire schtick is that he wants to become a Floor Master so he's character progression pretty much ends at the Tower, which is fair enough.

Moaradin

I think Heaven's Arena is pretty fun. Mostly because Nen is really interesting and I love the groundwork being laid here. It has a few fun fights like Hisoka vs Kastro, and Gon and Killua destroying the jobber squad. It's pretty short and it ends on an amazing fight.

This shit is only the tip of the iceberg though.

cntr

Banned
Hunter x Hunter has a fairly slow start. The end of Heaven's Arena and the next arc is where it gets going, so to speak.

I also thought the beginning was a lot better in retrospect though, once you know about things that happen in the future

cntr

Banned
I've heard that Togashi wanted to turn YYH into what became HxH before the editors blocked him. So I wonder, since obviously Yusuke and co. were high level by the end... were Gon and Killua, as the loose "replacements", made to become good so fast since Togashi didn't want to work all the way back from zero?

I've heard that Togashi wanted to turn YYH into what became HxH before the editors blocked him. So I wonder, since obviously Yusuke and co. were high level by the end... were Gon and Killua, as the loose "replacements", made to become good so fast since Togashi didn't want to work all the way back from zero?
Though he kind of sort of did work from zero though in my opinion. In the grand scheme of things Gon and Killua won't be OP till like 15 years after where the show currently is.

Chase17

This hunterpedia thing is blowing my mind. Netflix didn't have this. Or if it did I either missed it or have terrible memory.

Rewatching random episode on crunchyroll had more info than I was prepared for.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
We should be getting to the next arc in a month and then things really start to take off and we get a far more interesting set of villains and it becomes more like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure where characters play their very specific powerset against another character with a very unique power and then increase this as more and more complex powers are revealed.

The international version was originally intended for an international release only, but Toriko wasn't doing well in the ratings for Japan so at the last minute Toei decided to replace it with Buu Kai.

The whole thing was a rush job, and I don't think we've ever been given a reason why the International version is longer.

Seda

Kanzenshuu explains it pretty well but basically Toriko failing in ratings was a shock (A SHOCK I SAY!) to Toei a bit and needed to fill in a gap between its sudden cancelation and a "unannounced dragonball project" that was coming. they had Buu Kai masters that were being aired somewhere in the world and felt it would be a good fit to air that series before starting Super, problem being Buu Kai would overshoot Super's premiere date by 8 episodes as of its normal running and that wouldn't be allowed to happen.

So they cut 8 episodes and sped up the pacing and also added a new intro and ending to the japanese cut. basically call the JP cut of TFC "Buu Kai Abridged".

The international version was originally intended for an international release only, but Toriko wasn't doing well in the ratings for Japan so at the last minute Toei decided to replace it with Buu Kai.

The whole thing was a rush job, and I don't think we've ever been given a reason why the International version is longer.

Thanks for the answers. Makes sense.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Listened to some of the OST for DB Super and there's some impressive tracks.

I also heard they reuse a lot of tracks from Kai:TFC. Same composer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom