• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Zolo has the compass, he'll keep us on course"

That was too funny. I know early on Zoro's lack of direction was barely a thing (it was hinted at as the reason he took up bounty hunting) but knowing how he is now, that made me lose it.

But even so, the writers knew nothing.

"Vivi was okay" No. She was beyond emotionless. The worst was when she had to cry and it was... no. Also Vivi pronounced like Vivian. Smooth.

I don't even know what they were going for with Bon Clay.

Speaking of One Piece

Manga reviewer Tekking101 has been watching random episodes of the 4Kids dub
If you want a reminder of how horrendous that was, take a peek

Oh this is gonna be a treat! I need to get a snack.

Considering the packed theater tonight, the One Piece games I have easy access to, the One Piece shirt I was able to buy at a random store before going to see the film, the figures that I see on sale at the bookstore, the DVDs and blurays, and the continued success of the manga's sales on top of it being on Toonami... it's safe to say One Piece is doing fine in America now so looking back on the 4kids dub is more funny then anything else nowadays.

I'll never forget my favorite 4kids Arlong line "If you can't pay the cash then you're out with the trash... AND FELL FREE TO QUOTE ME! YEAAAAAAAAA~H!"

Raxus

6 will never be topped for Shounen franchise movies, mostly due to the fact that the movie really isn't a shounen movie so it avoids all the pitfalls we see every time.

It should also be mentioned these are some of the best long running shonen movies out there apart from MAYBE Naruto the Last and Battle of the Gods.

I dunno if it's because of the best movie going experience of my life factor or the fact that I literally just got back from seeing it but right now Film Gold is my favorite. Whether or not it's the best is a toss up still. But right now it's definitely my favorite. This movie is gonna have a special, special place in my heart after today. No doubt.

After it, I'd say Film Z and then Movie 6. With Strong World being last for me actually.

I love them all though so it doesn't really matter.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's criminal that Funimation still doesn't have the rights to One Piece Movie 6.
I can take and leave the others, but we need Movie 6 on Blu-Ray

Boruto movie > The Last

How bad is The Last then? I can't speak on the Boruto movie's animation, music, or voice-acting since I'm reading the questionably drawn manga but it's story isn't much to write home about.

It reminds me too much of those "You're always busy dad! I hate you!" movies from the 90s.

Moaradin

How bad is The Last then? I can't speak on the Boruto movie's animation, music, or voice-acting since I'm reading the questionably drawn manga but it's story isn't much to write home about.

It reminds me too much of those "You're always busy dad! I hate you!" movies from the 90s.

The story in Boruto is fine. It's not a deep story or anything but the it's well told and the movie is directed very well. The manga is just a worse retelling of it.

The Last is ok I guess. It just exists to show how
Naruto and Hinata hooked up. The way Naruto falls in love with her
is kinda stupid but outside of that the movie is just fine. Doesn't do anything exceptional but not bad either.

The story in Boruto is fine. It's not a deep story or anything but the it's well told and the movie is directed very well. The manga is just a worse retelling of it.

I can't agree that it's fine. It doesn't need to be "deep" or anything but the bullet points are pretty generic and uninteresting. Not really liking Boruto as a character either. I'm doubting the movie would change my mind about it if the story is the same.

There are a few minor interesting parts within it but not enough for me to give it a pass. Too much about the epilogue (and ending while we're at it) to the series was badly done in my opinion. Not to mention that I've lost any and all remaining respect for this entire ninja system the village has and its continued use of it drives me up the wall. But I can't go too into that.

Moaradin

Yeah, I heard about that stuff a few months ago. A damn shame.

I can't agree that it's fine. It doesn't need to be "deep" or anything but the bullet points are pretty generic and uninteresting. Not really liking Boruto as a character either. I'm doubting the movie would change my mind about it if the story is the same.

There are a few minor interesting parts within it but not enough for me to give it a pass. Too much about the epilogue (and ending while we're at it) to the series was badly done in my opinion. Not to mention that I've lost any and all remaining respect for this entire ninja system the village has and its continued use of it drives me up the wall. But I can't go too into that.

How a story is told can make a huge difference. I came out of the movie actually liking all the new characters, and I'm someone who has completely lost my ability to give a fuck when it comes to Naruto story and characters. Plus the movie has fucking amazing action.

I probably wouldn't be as high on it if I just read the manga.

Raxus

I mean, no matter how bad The Last or Boruto are they are still (sadly) the best Naruto has to offer in movies I have seen thus far.

Chase17

I would have liked to seen the one piece film but there isn't a theater in my state playing it (not that I particularly blame them for that choice).

I don't think it's playing near my college either so it looks like I didn't miss it by being on break.

Y
How a story is told can make a huge difference. I came out of the movie actually liking all the new characters, and I'm someone who has completely lost my ability to give a fuck when it comes to Naruto story and characters. Plus the movie has fucking amazing action.

I probably wouldn't be as high on it if I just read the manga.

How it's told can make a huge difference, but in this case it wouldn't be enough to warrant a completely different outlook on what I already know is going down.

If the way the events transpire still happens the same way then the story element isn't going to do much for me regardless, even if I recognize that the way the other parts were handled were done expertly well.

I'd come out of it saying that it was a well crafted movie at the most but it's gonna have to pull some literal magic to get me to care about Boruto and his daddy issues.

Moaradin

I thought it handled that aspect of the characters pretty well actually.

boruto spoilas
It's pretty easy to be sympathetic with Boruto since his dad barely has time to see him, and I did like how he gained respect for his Dad at the end. I also like the dynamic with the new team. Sarada being the one that looks up to Naruto the most and wants to be Hokage, while Boruto looks up to Sasuke and wants to support Sarada.

While it isn't anything groundbreaking, I think it's a pretty fresh take on the Naruto characters. It made me interested in watching the Boruto TV show even though I've been checked out on Naruto for a while.

Cwarrior

6 will never be topped for Shounen franchise movies, mostly due to the fact that the movie really isn't a shounen movie so it avoids all the pitfalls we see every time.

You should read the director interviews for movie 6, the director was never involved in the project when the script was made, the script was inspired by one piece movie 5 and current arc at the time(Davy back/water 7)and it is shounen movie let's not pretend it's not.

I Remeber back when movie 6 came out, nobody gave a crap about it, but when the director made a name from self making bad movies imo anime hipsters all of sudden started praising a main stream shounen movie years after it's release.

One piece movie 9 shits on it from a directing stand point and all round anyways.

My ranking goes

One piece film gold
One piece film z / one piece 3d2y don't care if this is a special it's just that good.
One piece movie 9
One piece strong world
One piece movie 4
One piece movie 7
One piece movie 5
One piece movie 2
One piece movie 6
One piece movie 8
One piece movie 1
One piece movie 3

Shout out to Kishi for the boruto movie that was great.

One piece film gold is hella of a lot better then any one piece movie, not even a contest.

Moaradin

You should read the director interviews for movie 6, the director was never involved in the project when the script was made, the script was inspired by one piece movie 5 and current arc at the time(Davy back/water 7)and it is shounen movie let's not pretend it's not.

I Remeber back when movie 6 came out, nobody gave a crap about it, but when the director made a name from self making bad movies imo anime hipsters all of sudden started praising a main stream shounen movie years after it's release.

One piece movie 9 shits on it from a directing stand point and all round anyways.

My ranking goes

One piece film gold
One piece film z / one piece 3d2y don't care if this is a special it's just that good.
One piece movie 9
One piece strong world
One piece movie 4
One piece movie 7
One piece movie 5
One piece movie 2
One piece movie 6
One piece movie 8
One piece movie 1
One piece movie 3

Shout out to Kishi for the boruto movie that was great.

One piece film gold is hella of a lot better then any one piece movie, not even a contest.

I watched Movie 6 before I even knew about Hosoda as a director, so it certainly wasn't because of some "hipster" reason. It's just a well made movie that's very different from the One Piece formula.

Movie 6 is a damn good creepy movie with a dynamic art style that's a departure from the usual One Piece style. But the story doesn't hold up well after 10 years.

Cwarrior

One piece movie 9 is so criminally underrated, the directing in that movie is superb, the flag scene is probably the best scene in any of the movies.

If you've never seen the drum island arc then it's more magical.

Movie 6 is pretty much movie 5 but evil sword replace with evil flower, Davy back games and a straw hat internal conflict that doesn't sense like all of hosoda drama.

Moaradin

Sure, but I don''t think the story is particularly strong in any of the recent movies. I just like seeing cool settings and the Staw Hats do their thing with actual animation budgets.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My One Piece movie ranking:

6 > Gold > Strong World > 4 > 9 > Z > 5 > 7 > 2 > 8 > 11 > 3 > 1

EDIT: I also didn't realize 6 was Hosoda for a very long time after I first saw it. It's just such a ballsy and interesting sort of movie. It sort of took some themes of where the series was at at the time and turned them up to 11 and went extra dark and intense.

I keep hearing people sing the praises of Movie 9 a lot. I might just have to bite the bullet and watch it. A retelling of Drum Island seems like it'd only be what I felt before when I watched it.

The Last is ok I guess. It just exists to show how
Naruto and Hinata hooked up. The way Naruto falls in love with her
is kinda stupid but outside of that the movie is just fine. Doesn't do anything exceptional but not bad either.

The Last felt like a really really bad fanfic.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I keep hearing people sing the praises of Movie 9 a lot. I might just have to bite the bullet and watch it. A retelling of Drum Island seems like it'd only be what I felt before when I watched it.

To be fair, 9 ranks highly specifically because it's a retelling of Drum, and Drum is fucking great and some of the feelsiest shit in all of One Piece.

It also benefits from comparisons with Movie 8, which was also an attempt to retell a great arc from the series but was much much shoddier.

Raxus

To be fair, 9 ranks highly specifically because it's a retelling of Drum, and Drum is fucking great and some of the feelsiest shit in all of One Piece.

It also benefits from comparisons with Movie 8, which was also an attempt to retell a great arc from the series but was much much shoddier.

Not to mention Drum is by far one of the easiest Arcs to retell. Only two major villain fights and half the cast is sidelined early.

Drum is great. No doubt. Not my absolute favorite like with everyone else but still. However, I know the story already.

I know there's... a brother Wapol has in it. And Franky's in it.

Seemed kind of weird.

we gonna sit here and act like the process of discovering/rediscovering art in any medium has not gone exactly like "this person made a thing that we believe is good so let us examine their past work for things that may have been overlooked for whatever reason" thousands upon thousands of times i guess

i don't even like movie 6 outside of like the last 10-15 minutes or so but let's cut the bullshit accusations because people dared praise a thing to a degree you disagree with please

Yeah seriously. I don't even know who this director you guys are talking about is. I just liked it because it looked different and was fucking creepy and scary in a way that I wasn't used to when it came to One Piece.

After not liking Road to Ninja, I've avoided The Last and Boruto.
I guess I have to check them out if I can rent them from Amazon Prime Streaming.

You just reminded me of how badly rushed and trimmed Adventure in Alabasta was. Stuffing a long arc into an hour and a half movie was such a bad idea.

Ray Down

Banned
I mean, no matter how bad The Last or Boruto are they are still (sadly) the best Naruto has to offer in movies I have seen thus far.

Nah I still argue Road to Ninja was better than The Last.

Boruto is the best, cliche 90's movie plot and all.

This video of Tekking watching the 4kids One Piece is hilarious.

I almost lost it when Sanji called the Laboon-Iceberg a "Giant helping of Baked Alaska".

And 4kids seems to insist on using huge ass words and phrases that kids would never understand.

Like "Melodious Mapmaker".

In Sonic X they revered to Chaos as a "Disasterous Deluge". I remember that because it was such a huge "What the fuck is that?" moment from my past.

Y Ruler of Time's hatred of Prince of Tennis was fun to witness whenever he would talk about it.

Me, I saw a few episodes of it. Watching Mister Perfect win all his tennis matches with a super monotone voice and that winning smile was ... not that interesting.

I think I stopped after he said he has no interest in being a tennis player to some girl he was talking to. It doesn't interest him and yet he's perfect at the fucking game. Imagine that.

Cwarrior

Drum is great. No doubt. Not my absolute favorite like with everyone else but still. However, I know the story already.

I know there's... a brother Wapol has in it. And Franky's in it.

Seemed kind of weird.

It's a what if story,

It also naoki Tate the movie so it looks weird also.

we gonna sit here and act like the process of discovering/rediscovering art in any medium has not gone exactly like "this person made a thing that we believe is good so let us examine their past work for things that may have been overlooked for whatever reason" thousands upon thousjands of times i guess

i don't even like movie 6 outside of like the last 10-15 minutes or so but let's cut the bullshit accusations because people dared praise a thing to a degree you disagree with please

I don't know how a franchise movie for the biggest shounens(digimon,one piece) on the planet gets rediscovered like it's a hidden gem in your portfolio while working on smaller projects.it's the internet people love to dick ride who ever currently the hot trend just as how everyone is dickriding developer From software as if they always loved there output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom