• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also guess what, if you're marathoning OP you can just skip the recaps and shorten the time even more. The pacing on the regular part of the episodes is pretty good.

daveo42

Banned
Also guess what, if you're marathoning OP you can just skip the recaps and shorten the time even more. The pacing on the regular part of the episodes is pretty good.

Yeah, recaps tend to get pretty long in the tooth during longer arcs. I'm sure all of our first timers have already seen how much time is already spent on covering the previous episode. It's not too bad when watching week-to-week, but marathoning mean you pretty much have to skip them or go insane.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I remember hearing something to the effect of the recaps being cut down on the DVD's if you're watching multiple episodes back to back.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm watching Deathnote now but when I'm finished I'll give OP a try. The art style tho bugs me a bit but whatever

Give it until the end of Arlong Park, as that arc is where it hit it's stride. If you don't like Arlong Park I dunno what to tell you.

daveo42

Banned
Give it until the end of Arlong Park, as that arc is where it hit it's stride. If you don't like Arlong Park I dunno what to tell you.

I think the only arc you really need to get around is the Buggy arc, but even then every single short arc early on is pretty great. A little heavier on the comedy, but still brings the feels.

B-Dubs is right though with Arlong Park. That arc is so good from start to finish.

Yeah get through the arlong arc before deciding if you want to drop One Piece. Basically the first 60ish episodes are a glorified prologue which gets all the character origin stories and motivations out of the way before hitting the grand line when the story really begins. The arlong arc is the first arc that really gives you a taste of what future one piece will be like in terms of action and story telling hence why most people suggest seeing it before giving up.

So I was watching Sailor Moon Crystal, when all of a sudden...

BtKU9xnCIAAvsFv.jpg:large

A shout-out to hubby Togashi.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've heard it a few times. Two of them were probably just being contrarian and at least one more might have been lying about ever watching OP but I know at least a few people who claim the show doesn't get good until Whiskey Peak or even one who doesn't like the show before the time skip.

I've heard it a few times. Two of them were probably just being contrarian and at least one more might have been lying about ever watching OP but I know at least a few people who claim the show doesn't get good until Whiskey Peak or even one who doesn't like the show before the time skip.

2nK1w22.gif

Gorillaz

Yeah get through the arlong arc before deciding if you want to drop One Piece. Basically the first 60ish episodes are a glorified prologue which gets all the character origin stories and motivations out of the way before hitting the grand line when the story really begins. The arlong arc is the first arc that really gives you a taste of what future one piece will be like in terms of action and story telling hence why most people suggest seeing it before giving up.

60ish episodes of character origins, huh

Man God

Non-Canon Member

My counter to that is Nami and Robin both look more like other female characters now. Hell, Rebecca looks like Nami pre-timeskip. Oda and his inability to draw females...

I actually think the worst example was
Robin and Boa, who look EXACTLY the same in the manga post time skip.

daveo42

Banned

There is a good deal of world building during that time as well. You actually get a good peak at the Grand Line and how vast the world actually is before actually getting to the Grand Line.

I actually think the worst example was
Robin and Boa, who look EXACTLY the same in the manga post time skip.

That's been fixed a bit during the current arc though. Now she looks too much like Ms. Valentine with her hat. The Boa/Robin comparison was saddening. Maybe it just came from drawing Boa for so long after the group got separated.

well, sorta. it's that way because when we meet a new crew member, it's part of a story arc with a villain and all that. so Luffy helps Usopp defend his village, for example, and that includes several other characters and subplots. same thing for Sanji.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's another thing the anime always gets right above the manga, One Piece characters look distinct on the screen when sometimes in the manga I'm like "why is she here...OH."

Gorillaz

lol it's alright to give me a general breakdown of the beginning, I'll watch it after watching Rock act righteous and detective like on Deathnote

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've never seen Gurren Lagaan so don't spoil it please.

And don't do that thing where you think you're being clever about dropping hints and are actually just spoiling for anyone with the capability to put two and two together.

Also that thing where you say specific stuff about a character before they appear, like y'all did with Potato Girl.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
will they ever find the one piece

The best (comedy) scene in the anime, spoilers for about the next three years of One Piece, only read if you're current.

The vice captain serving under Gol D. Rodger asks Robin if she wants to know what is written on the final poneglyph where the One Piece is hidden. Luffy has a brain gasm before explaining very loudly that no, they'll find out for themselves.

It's always reminded me of a certain scene from the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxszN_1k6fQ

daveo42

Banned
The best (comedy) scene in the anime, spoilers for about the next three years of One Piece, only read if you're current.

The vice captain serving under Gol D. Rodger asks Robin if she wants to know what is written on the final poneglyph where the One Piece is hidden. Luffy has a brain gasm before explaining very loudly that no, they'll find out for themselves.

It's always reminded me of a certain scene from the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxszN_1k6fQ

*cough*

It's actually Usopp who says yes to knowing the location and secret of One Piece and Luffy essentially saying "Fuck that" and goes on to say it's more about the adventure and would flat out stop there if it was ever spoiled. Way to go Usopp...

Edit: This is coming from the manga, not anime, but I assume both scenes are the same.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
*cough*

It's actually Usopp who says yes to knowing the location and secret of One Piece and Luffy essentially saying "Fuck that" and goes on to say it's more about the adventure and would flat out stop there if it was ever spoiled. Way to go Usopp...

Is it? I remember the look on
Robin's face
so clearly though.

daveo42

Banned
Is it? I remember the look on
Robin's face
so clearly though.

Robin says something about not wanting to know what was on them, but the reaction from Luffy came right after Usopp's comment about One Piece. Poneglyphs don't really matter to Luffy anyway so he'd probably not be all that upset to have that spoiled.

TheChits

And don't do that thing where you think you're being clever about dropping hints and are actually just spoiling for anyone with the capability to put two and two together.

Also that thing where you say specific stuff about a character before they appear, like y'all did with Potato Girl.

An impossible request for toonami gaf

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
one piece is in your heart. just like sniper island.

lu lu lala lu~

All you have to do is believe in me who believes in you!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nothing we can do here besides someone just not posting shit under spoiler tags will ever beat what happened to people watching the show on Netflix when it first went up. NOTHING.

I'll go more into detail when we get to that point in the series, it was a major faux pas.

LOLDSFAN

So glad I've already seen it because I know this stuff is going to be veeeery prevalent and it would drive me insane.

My Man
God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom