• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Worst dub on the block has got to be Bleach. It comes down to one key reason, direction. It is jarring when Alien aired and you heard Ichigo ACTING in the fun because in Bleach he and the rest of the cast sleep walk through their lines. Then there is the infamous Hitsuguya scream. Everyone acts like they are too cool for the show and when they have to show any strong emotion it falls flat.

GXP comes close but there are a million other things wrong with it that bog it down that no dub outside a Ghost Stories dub could improve.

AoT may seem melodramatic but it is faithful to the source material for the most part. Soul Eater was a huge step up for Maka alone. One Piece fits pretty well aside from one exception later on.

bigkrev

Worst dub on the block has got to be Bleach. It comes down to one key reason, direction. It is jarring when Alien aired and you heard Ichigo ACTING in the fun because in Bleach he and the rest of the cast sleep walk through their lines. Then there is the infamous Hitsuguya scream. Everyone acts like they are too cool for the show and when they have to show any strong emotion it falls flat.

GXP comes close but there are a million other things wrong with it that bog it down that no dub outside a Ghost Stories dub could improve.

AoT may seem melodramatic but it is faithful to the source material for the most part. Soul Eater was a huge step up for Maka alone. One Piece fits pretty well aside from one exception later on.

Naruto is pretty awful.

Raxus

who's that? i know personally i don't like that Spandam is some other guy doing a Joker impression when Buggy is already Mike McFarland doing a Joker impression
ONE PIECE SPOILER!!!

Whitebeard. I dread when we get to THAT arc and I have to hear that voice all the time. It just doesn't fit.

ONE PIECE SPOILER!!!

Whitebeard. I dread when we get to THAT arc and I have to hear that voice all the time. It just doesn't fit.

actually Whitebeard showed up just before Skypiea, so it's not really a spoiler to mention him. i did imagine him sounding a bit more.....hardened. he's Hulk Hogan if his mustache looked like a fucking weapon and was turned the other direction. R. Bruce Elliott just kinda sounds like a nice guy. that's why he's the Space Dandy narrator. he has that folksy charm, like your grandpa telling you how your lungs will burn if you smoke a single cigarette

Raxus

I spoiled it more for the other content more than the character. But yeah I was spoiled by his Japanese VA who makes him sound like the tower of a man he really is.

Gorillaz

The guy that is Pixis is the narrator in Dandy right

If it wasn't for him being in Dandy I wouldn't know if he had an inside voice or not
WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION

Moaradin

actually Whitebeard showed up just before Skypiea, so it's not really a spoiler to mention him. i did imagine him sounding a bit more.....hardened. he's Hulk Hogan if his mustache looked like a fucking weapon and was turned the other direction. R. Bruce Elliott just kinda sounds like a nice guy.

but [one piece spoilers]
Whitebeard IS a nice guy

ckohler

I watch more dubs than subs, so I won't try to compare between those. I will comment on the quality of the English voice acting of Toonami shows I've seen.

Great
Black Lagoon
Space Dandy
One Piece
Beware the Batman (can't fault it here)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Symbiotic Titan
Big O
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Soul Eater

Just Okay
Naruto/Shippuden
Blue Exorcist
Samurai Jack
Clone Wars
IGPX
Inuyasha
Sword Art Online
Thundercats

Bad Could Be Better
Attack on Titan - (overacting much?)
Bleach - (Lol Chad and Kon)
Eureka Seven - (shut up kids!)
Something called GXP?

ckohler

>not liking overacting and yelling too much
>positive opinion of one piece dub either language

pick one
I set the bar higher for drama versus comedy. If a show is a serious drama, then the voice acting has to be really great otherwise it sounds unconvincing. One Piece, on the other hand, doesn't take itself seriously and the yelling fits the cartoonish characters.

To be fair to AoT, I give the cast credit for trying with such difficult material. Maybe this is just a difficult show to perform? The screams just sound really forced to me. Also, the yelling speech Armin gave last week was really awkward and didn't sound like something any real person would say. Again, it could be more an issue with the writng.

If you guys don't like Titan due to the melodrama and yelling you wouldn't like it subbed either because its pretty much identical there. In particular go check out either of the past two episodes that aired on Toonami in Japanese they're pretty damn identical in terms of overly dramatic and overly melodramatic lines and delivery. Perhaps the effect of all the yelling is subdued when you're reading subs more so then listening to the spoken dialogue but many of the complaints you guys have had about the dub are identical to ones people had when it aired last year in Japan.

Naruto's early dub is probably the worst thing on Toonami, yes it improves dramatically over time but those early couple of episodes are ear screeching at times. Bleach consistently has actors phoning it in but never once have I wanted to mute the tv during it like I did during some early Naruto episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Phoned in is the kindest thing I have to say about Bleach's dub. The cast was clearly just rushing through the last eps just to get it over with.
They've been like that since a little before the end of SS arc.

GXP for my money is still the worst dub on this version of Toonami.

daveo42

Banned
Most of the dubs on Toonami have been pretty solid. I can stomach early Naruto, the lazy Bleach, and AoT screams because I've seen some pretty bad early dubs. I think in most cases I will appreciate subs a bit more (Bebop being a massive exception), but dubs, even bad ones, are pretty damn good still.

ckohler

Agreed, I find most dubs to be really good anymore. Saying a show has "Bad" VA is probably too harsh. "Needs Improvement" would be a more accurate rating.

daveo42

Banned
Agreed, I find most dubs to be really good anymore. Saying a show has "Bad" VA is probably too harsh. "Needs Improvement" would be a more accurate rating.

Yeah, bad isn't the best word in most cases. I'd probably go with something like "Tolerable" or "OK" for more lack luster releases.

Bio-Frost

One Piece Spoilers about Enies lobby!

I was so wrong about robin, I am eating crow right now. Her back story justifies how she was acting. Dont think ive cried so hard since choppers back story.

Tenumi

Banned
I think the Bleach dub has always been pretty bad, the delivery is all so stilted. I also didn't really care for Soul Eater's or Eureka Seven's. I guess for the later I just hear whiny Emil all the time. And maybe I'm just a little tired of Laura Bailey.

I really like Eureka Seven's dub. But that's just me. Bleach has been quite meh for a while now.

DBZ Kai is a little weird. I think a lot of the actual 'acting' is better. But some of the voice changes are hard to swallow, and I don't just mean new actors. Vegeta, for instance, sounds a lot less menacing than he typically does at times (this scene comes to mind - compare Kai's (1st) "Tell him I'll be paying a visit soon" line to Funimation (2nd) "Not too bright..." the line is totally different but I hope my point makes sense)

Wow... Ocean dub Vegeta is just.... weird... at least compared to the others.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The script and localization of E7 leave much to be desired (limit of questions, really?) but the actual voice acting is top notch.

Gorillaz

there is too much of One Piece to watch, I don't think I will ever catch up if I started right now

I would probably give up after awhile

LOLDSFAN

there is too much of One Piece to watch, I don't think I will ever catch up if I started right now

I would probably give up after awhile

If you have a set schedule, it will take no time at all. It only took me a year because I would go on long droughts not watching it at all for weeks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you have a set schedule, it will take no time at all. It only took me a year because I would go on long droughts not watching it at all for weeks.

For real, two episodes a day will catch you up with Toonami in no time flat. That's not even an hour a day.

with how pacing gets in the later episodes, reading the manga like i did is probably the best option.

The pacing is fine well up to the point people would catch up with toonami if they marathoned now. By the time the pacing really becomes an issue they could just watch with us weekly which should alleviate some of the problems

The pacing is fine well up to the point people would catch up with toonami if they marathoned now. By the time the pacing really becomes an issue they could just watch with us weekly which should alleviate some of the problems

oh wow for some reason i thought he meant to get current. nevermind haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom