• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Pirate Rap is unironically great It's a perfectly succinct depiction of the crew up until Chopper joins.

In their attempt at rhyming, they used the word "doctoring" incorrectly. Making it sound like Chopper was falsifying images or reports rather than practicing medicine. Or I'm just tired and I'm blabbing nonsense.

And yes, that IGN list is terrible.
Why two FMA villains? Why neither of them King Bradley?
Where's Dio?
Kira is better, but since there's no Diamond is Unbreakable anime yet...
Vegeta over Freeza?
No One Piece at all?
Griffith ONLY at 6th?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He is the better villain.

I just hope this doesn't turn into Goku was the true villain all along/the worst father ever conversation.

Also NARAKU got ROBBED! If any franchise deserved two nominees, it's Inyasha with LORD SESSHOMARU being number one.

Where's Dio?
Kira is better, but since there's no Diamond is Unbreakable anime yet...

thumbs_up_cat.gif

MikeMyers

I just hope this doesn't turn into Goku was the true villain all along/the worst father ever conversation.

Also NARAKU got ROBBED! If any franchise deserved two nominees, it's Inyasha with LORD SESSHOMARU being number one.

Well I think Vegeta is a pretty good antagonist in the Saiyan Saga and a fun anti-hero in the Freeza Saga. Once he switched sides, it was badass decay there. :/

Saw that ign villain list last night, other then getting the number 1 right I disagree. If you're going to include 1 villain from fma:b it should be Bradley or Kimbly not Father or Shou. Also Vegeta should not be that high, or on the list over Freeza (who also shouldn't be that high), I also question Lucy/Nyu's placement on the list

Seda

Still don't understand the obsession with OP/ED... they're glorified music commercials.

People like music

People like animation

People like the fictional worlds/characters they depict.

I see it as a mix of those.

I don't mind cut/altered openings considering you can see them online whenever you want.

Gorillaz

OP/ED are a weird thing, because it makes sense, like why are they that important? especially in western media where the opening for a show is like 10 seconds and the ending is a black screen with credits.

I guess it's kind of special for people because of the fact that outside of anime and premium channel shows on stuff like HBO/Showtime, you don't see a min or 2 cut of a opening of a show. It's pretty much a "rallying of he troops" thing that gets you ready for the show I guess. I like them

daveo42

Banned
Depending on the show and how much I like the OP, I may skip it just to save some time, especially when marathoning. I like most of One Piece openings because the music is usually really good and there are a few openings that animated the color spreads from the manga. Always a nice touch.

Endings are a bit different and sometimes feel way more like an afterthought than anything else. there are occasions they end up being spectacular, but I feel that is too much of a rarity. Most are skips on marathons and are usually ignored week to week if I'm interested in the preview for the next episode.

Jojo has fantastic endings btw.

Gorillaz

One thing I did like about watching Deathnote and even AoT months back on Netflix was the fact that you can skip the OP if you are in "marathon mode" which is basically watching at least 2 episodes back to back of something. ED also cuts off early, kinda, and you are given a chance to just move on to the next episode.

One thing I did like about watching Deathnote and even AoT months back on Netflix was the fact that you can skip the OP if you are in "marathon mode" which is basically watching at least 2 episodes back to back of something. ED also cuts off early, kinda, and you are given a chance to just move on to the next episode.

Most of funimations dvd/br releases offer that feature as well, great for One Piece

Crocodile

US Cartoons used to have sweet, catchy openings you could often sing-a-long to. Stuff like Darkwing Duck, Ductales, Talespin, Gummi Bears, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers or even instrumentals like Swat Kats. I still remember ALL of those themes and could sing most of them. I MISS them and wish they would come back. The OP/EDs for most anime are garbage (Sturgeon's Law and all that plus many are made to sell music singles rather than be custom fit for the actual show) but I do really appreciate the good ones. Not enough to bitch to Demarco like some psycho or care too much if they are trimmed for our TV airings but I still like them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
95% of the time, I skip the OP/ED because I want to skip to the actual episode & then the next episode preview. There are some great ones out there, but they're rather rare for me.

ckohler

OPs are bigger than just anime and animation. Most popular live action TV shows have acclaimed OPs like the X-Files, Dexter, House, etc. They're not just the appetizer that gets you excited for the show, they help set the tone, explains the gist and are generally creative endeavors unto themselves. Even Toonami shows that don't have their OPs air at least get a custom Toonami OP leading into the show for tone setting reasons.

LOLDSFAN

95% of the time, I skip the OP/ED because I want to skip to the actual episode & then the next episode preview. There are some great ones out there, but they're rather rare for me.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of them tend to be j-pop/rock which I don't listen to in my daily life anyway. Every once and a while I find a good ones but those are usually rare. Like the only one I like on Toonami right now is the Black Lagoon one.

Gorillaz

Edit: lagoon's opening is fun due to the fact it gives off the whole pulp like 90's vibe

OVA opening remix was fun as well
Most of funimations dvd/br releases offer that feature as well, great for One Piece

Speaking of One Piece I might start it now

After episode 5 of SAO 1, and it's pandering ass shots and it's "well let's try to make this fun and playful yet scary at the same time" vibe, I was just like
184.gif

I'll try episode 6 again later

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I want to get personal for a second guys.

How is it going?
Most likely gonna head to grandma's place for the weekend w/ my dad & sis, but 90% chance I'll still be able to catch Toonami. Otherwise, need to figure out what to take for college since that's starting next month. I'm just glad after months of having no idea of my grade, I found out I passed pre-calc with a B-, so now it's time to see if I can do actual calculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom