• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Racking my brain for something that could have caused the drop.

Uh, EDC 2014 was going on in Vegas? The Steam Sale? I got nothing.
CEO 2014 had Mahvel bumped to Sunday morning because as usual KOF went forever, but that was done by midnight.
SGDQ?

ckohler

More people watched the worst clip show in existence than Black Lagoon and only 6,000 more watched One Piece. o.o

xzx2d.gif

Game over.

daveo42

Banned
So we packing it up? I guess we should get started cleaning out our desks and getting things set up for 4 hours of Family Guy reruns Saturday nights.

Korigama

Not sure how sound a theory it is, but I don't think having so many long-runners on (that is to say, shows that go on for hundreds of episodes) that also lead off the block really helps them much. It's possible to get into such shows late, sure, especially considering that they started One Piece over 200 episodes in when it was introduced. That said, there might be more motivation to stick with something with a definitive end somewhere in sight. Maybe. The disconnect that led anime viewers who tend to prefer lighter, less grounded fare to reject something that leans toward grimness and cynicism like Black Lagoon isn't surprising, though.

Gorillaz

I definitely think the block can do better with shows that aren't as long or far in as One Piece. Maybe the average 25ish episodes are good because it keeps the line up fresh. Lagoon most likely wasn't going to ever "catch on" for most since I assume most watching are in for the light stuff with heavy action.

Not sure how sound a theory it is, but I don't think having so many long-runners on (that is to say, shows that go on for hundreds of episodes) that also lead off the block really helps them much. It's possible to get into such shows late, sure, especially considering that they started One Piece over 200 episodes in when it was introduced. That said, there might be more motivation to stick with something with a definitive end somewhere in sight. Maybe. The disconnect that led anime viewers who tend to prefer lighter, less grounded fare to reject something that leans toward grimness and cynicism like Black Lagoon isn't surprising, though.

I don't think we need to overreact to one bad week of ratings, like I said earlier, we see 3 dips during the summer and this is one of them. Long running shonen like Bleach, Shippuden, OG Naruto, and to a lesser extent, One Piece are not the problem. They are extremely popular properties here in the United States and provide continuity/stability for the block. Bleach is the keystone that holds the whole thing together, OG Naruto gives a late night bump, One Piece always finishes #1 in the 18-34 demographic, Shippuden averages over 1M viewers per week even though the story has been crap so far. Black Lagoon is doing fine by the way, DeMarco said so himself during the Q&A on Sunday morning.

Read this press release for June:

Across June 2014, Adult Swim ranked as the #1 basic cable network in Primetime among adults 18-34. Additionally, Adult Swim’s Total Day performance also ranked #1 among adults 18-24, 18-34 & 18-49 and men 18-24 & 18-34 on basic cable for the last week in June.

On Saturday nights, Naruto (1 a.m.), One Piece (1:30 a.m.), and Blue Exorcist (2 a.m.) each ranked #1 in their respective time periods among adults 18-24 & 18-34 and men 18-24 & 18-34. Similarly, Black Lagoon (2:30 a.m.) and Beware the Batman (3 a.m.) both ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among men 18-34 & 18-49.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and breathe. I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of Saturday nights together in the future.

yes, I'm aware most of the doom and gloom comments were jokes

Gorillaz

Toonami is done, Gucci, hang it up

Where am I suppose to go now to get uncle phil and carlton pics? Or BleachGaf? Or Htown introducing us to Black Lagoon every week?

IS this what it feels to lose something you love, friends?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toonami's ratings may have been sloppy, but there is a ray of hope.
Johnny Test has finally been cancelled!

Raxus

Everything happening this thread makes me want to commit sudoku. I may sudoku several times before this page finishes.

LOLDSFAN

Looks like it's now moved on from its original intent.

Now that everyone is informed on the situation. they're getting into small mini arguments about sex/race/etc... ¬_¬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom