• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I'll still take a slower OP episode with some good humor over what we got in Shippuden, the former at least you can see where this set up is building towards ie all the lose ends are tied up now everyone remaining is going to focus on the bridge to fight for Robin.

but... that's exactly what happened in Shippuden?

RagnarokX

but third gear isn't inherently superior to second gear. they seem to be separate modes rather than incrementing powers (like super saiyan 2 and super saiyan 3)
Right, and gear second has significantly more versatility and use.

Gear second = move faster than any opponent and massive attack power increase due to momentum.
Gear third = slower attacks with a wider hit area.

Pretty good night overall, hopefully whatever replaces AoT won't be something I've seen a dozen times by now and I'll want to stay up for the end of the night

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also this was my huge issue. I feel like next to nothing happened.

This was the last of the build up episodes. Shit gets extremely real next week, episodes 309-312 rank among the best in the series, and episodes 313-316 are classic One Piece of a different sort.

So it's all going to be pretty great for a while now that we're past this little batch
(until you run smack into some especially terrible filler in 317-319)

Seda

I'll still take a slower OP episode with some good humor over what we got in Shippuden, the former at least you can see where this set up is building towards ie all the lose ends are tied up now everyone remaining is going to focus on the bridge to fight for Robin.

Naruto training, whatever you think of it, has its role in moving characters into position.

And the attack on the fire temple is literally what sets the events of the arc in motion. If it didn't happen, it really would be just a training arc and nothing else :p there'd be no motivation for anything else to happen.

For a second-in-the-arc episode, I think it's pretty solid, honestly.

but... that's exactly what happened in Shippuden?

This is like the 4th episodes of Naruto just trying to master wind chakra and it doesn't feel like it's ending anytime soon, and the 2nd episode of Hidan and Kuzan off screening people to hide their power. It's not that Shippuden isn't building towards something but it truly did nothing new this week.

Naruto training, whatever you think of it, has it's role in moving characters into position.

And the attack on the fire temple is literally what sets the events of the arc in motion. If it didn't happen, it really would be just a training arc and nothing else :p there'd be no motivation for anything else to happen.

For a second-in-the-arc episode, I think it's pretty solid, honestly.

There's really no reason why the attack on the two tails and the attack on the fire temple couldn't have been the same attack outside of Naruto needs more time to train and the villains need to be delayed longer. I'll give you that Naruto training is important but it feels overly stretched out because it got bisected by the filler arc.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
My big hopes, Space Dandy Season 2 or Cowboy Bebop HD.

Worst case scenario: Bleach.
Restarting Bleach from the beginning wouldn't be the worst. Might even be fun!

Worst would be something Adult Swim like family guy followed by IGPX.

Moaradin

This is like the 4th episodes of Naruto just trying to master wind chakra and it doesn't feel like it's ending anytime soon, and the 2nd episode of Hidan and Kuzan off screening people to hide their power. It's not that Shippuden isn't building towards something but it truly did nothing new this week.

Hidan and Kakuzu killing those monks set up like this entire arc

RagnarokX

Second Gear is a speed boost and Third Gear is a power boost, they're like those combo modes in KH2 that boosted only one of your abilities.

2 is both speed and power. His punches hit harder due to the momentum and the speed allows him to hit so fast that it's like punching multiple times at the same time. Remember he's able to use it to break even the strongest iron body techniques.

3 is more for hitting a large area with a single attack.

Line_HTX

Restarting Bleach from the beginning wouldn't be the worst. Might even be fun!

Worst would be something Adult Swim like family guy followed by IGPX.

No way, that's even worse! Start at the Arrancar arc at 110 and hopefully skip the fillers afterwards except for the Zanpakuto arc. Maybe air the obligatory beach episode too.

I also demand the 2nd half of Space Dandy immediately or RIOT!

RagnarokX

To be honest, this arc and the one after the one that follows it were easily the best in this half of the manga. They showed a marked improvement in the narrative and the pacing and action... It was all downhill from there. Naruto does training arcs pretty well. The arc where he learns rasengan was good, this one was good, and the next training arc is good.

now's probably a good time to mention that the next two episodes are probably the weakest in this arc

lol

*looks it up*

Yeah, my point stands nothing in this episode was truly necessary,
Tsunade could have dispatched Ninja teams over the fact a Jinchuiki was killed just as easily as a random fire nation temple was attacked, heck the former is really a bigger deal then the latter. Nor does Naruto's training need to be this dragged out

*looks it up*

Yeah, my point stands nothing in this episode was truly necessary,
Tsunade could have dispatched Ninja teams over the fact a Jinchuiki was killed just as easily as a random fire nation temple was attacked, heck the former is really a bigger deal then the latter. Nor does Naruto's training need to be this dragged out

Not really since the attack didn't happen in fire nation land, nor was it even a ninja from their village. And the caveat with Gaara was that they have an alliance with the hidden sand and had to send help.

Seda

Not really since the attack didn't happen in fire nation land, nor was it even a ninja from their village. And the caveat with Gaara was that they have an alliance with the hidden sand and had to send help.

Not to mention the fact that
Kakuzu is looking for a bounty plays into how the eventual encounter is set up

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 31 - Goku Arrives At Last! Take Down the Ginyu Force!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 32 - The Star Player Appears! Ginyu vs. Goku!
12:30 - KILL la KILL - 22 - Tell Me How You Feel
1:00 - Michiko e Hatchin - 4 - Stray Cat Milky Way
1:30 - Sword Art Online II - 15 - The Queen of the Lake
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 74 - Under the Starry Sky
2:30 - One Piece - 308 - Wait for Luffy! Mortal Combat on the Bridge of Hesitation!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 16 - What Needs to be Done Now: Eve of the Counterattack, Part 3

Later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
MlWA77yPpdo2n_1qSr

MlWA77yRw4oPzJ2ysS

LATER

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Next week SAOII's episode is called "The Queen of the Lake?"

Dear god, tell me they're not going to do what I think they're going to do...

Actually its funny you bring up that arc because structurally both arcs begin kind of similar, the akatsuki attack a jinchuriki and we get an idea about one of them, then they attack another powerful foe to get an idea how the other works. The difference is the attack on the sand village is one event where the two battles flow into each other where here we have "we killed a jinchurki, now lets go kill some random monk for money on the way".

Not to mention the fact that
Kakuzu is looking for a bounty plays into how the eventual encounter is set up

Fair enough about that point, though I still feel like the two events should have been combined, or the attack on the two tails should have just been a passing comment and not shown (it wasn't really shown).

Maybe I'm just being overly nitpicky/frustrated, but it felt like this weeks episode was truly spinning its wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom