• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next week SAOII's episode is called "The Queen of the Lake?"

Dear god, tell me they're not going to do what I think they're going to do...

If what you're thinking is

kirito and the harem go on a world quest to get excalibur which also happens to tie into the ENTIRE FATE of Alfhiem
then you get a gold star this week

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

kirito and the harem go on a world quest to get excalibur which also happens to tie into the ENTIRE FATE of Alfhiem

God fucking damn it that's exactly what I was afraid of.

This is going to be fucking unbearable isn't it?

Moaradin

Next arc isn't great but it can be enjoyable if you turn your brain off. It's just silly stuff and doesn't offend you like when SAO tries to be serious most of the time. The last arc is surprisingly decent by SAO standards.

Seda

Maybe I'm just being overly nitpicky/frustrated, but it felt like this weeks episode was truly spinning its wheels.

So, I actually really like how this arc is structured in general, and I think that how things are established here are done so pretty competently. The jinjuriki kill does comes into play later
It's kinda a cop-out but not really
, and the fire temple attack pushes the arc to even happen. Naruto off training gives a valid excuse to (eventually) have him sit out for a bit.

But, there are some events where it's plain as day that 'spinning wheels' is exactly what they are doing. Um, how to I put this..... if you were to make similar remarks wrt next week's episode, I'd totally agree with you.

also for example, two episodes from now

the majority of the episode is ramen shop shenanigans

so yeah

God fucking damn it that's exactly what I was afraid of.

This is going to be fucking unbearable isn't it?

Surprisingly no, the worst thing about this and the next arc are that they're tied to SAO and are held down by all the baggage that came before. If your only exposure to SAO was the next two arcs you'd probably think SAO was just another fantasy, action, harem show with an mmo twist and at that point your mileage may very on how much you enjoy whats coming up.

Also the final arc were you to yank it out and make it into a 90 minute movie with original characters and no tie to sao aka summer wars it then it'd be excellent

So, I actually really like how this arc is structured in general, and I think that how things are established here are done so pretty competently. The jinjuriki kill does comes into play later
It's kinda a cop-out but not really
, and the fire temple attack pushes the arc to even happen. Naruto off training gives a valid excuse to (eventually) have him sit out for a bit.

But, there are some events where it's plain as day that 'spinning wheels' is exactly what they are doing. Um, how to I put this..... if you were to make similar remarks wrt next week's episode, I'd totally agree with you.

also for example, two episodes from now

the majority of the episode is ramen shop shenanigans

so yeah

I'll admit my memory of this arc isn't as great as I'd like it to be. I mostly remember the major points but not the smaller details that weave into it. Perhaps my issues wouldn't be as bad were this all paced better and I wouldn't be left thinking "isn't this more or less what I saw last week". Also had the training not been interrupted by the Sora arc things would flow better. I guess I'll just wait and see and try keeping a more open mind.

They were combined... in the manga. In the manga the scene where they killed the two-tails jinchuriki cuts straight to them attacking the the monk. It was all handled in one chapter while Kakashi was explaining the training to Naruto before he even started cutting leafs. At this point in Naruto's training in the manga
the Leaf was already searching for Kakuzu and Hidan over the monk incident. Naruto also began trying to cut the waterfall and succeeded in cutting the waterfall in 1 chapter.

Lol well I guess that explains my frustration, the issue is anime pacing and not the story itself. No filler arc and better pacing and my complaint no longer exists.

RagnarokX

Actually its funny you bring up that arc because structurally both arcs begin kind of similar, the akatsuki attack a jinchuriki and we get an idea about one of them, then they attack another powerful foe to get an idea how the other works. The difference is the attack on the sand village is one event where the two battles flow into each other where here we have "we killed a jinchurki, now lets go kill some random monk for money on the way".

Fair enough about that point, though I still feel like the two events should have been combined, or the attack on the two tails should have just been a passing comment and not shown (it wasn't really shown).

Maybe I'm just being overly nitpicky/frustrated, but it felt like this weeks episode was truly spinning its wheels.

They were combined... in the manga. In the manga the scene where they killed the two-tails jinchuriki cuts straight to them attacking the the monk. It was all handled in one chapter while Kakashi was explaining the training to Naruto before he even started cutting leafs. At this point in Naruto's training in the manga
the Leaf was already searching for Kakuzu and Hidan over the monk incident. Naruto also began trying to cut the waterfall and succeeded in cutting the waterfall in 1 chapter.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Surprisingly no, the worst thing about this and the next arc are that they're tied to SAO and are held down by all the baggage that came before. If your only exposure to SAO was the next two arcs you'd probably think SAO was just another fantasy, action, harem show with an mmo twist and at that point your mileage may very on how much you enjoy whats coming up.

Also the final arc were you to yank it out and make it into a 90 minute movie with original characters and no tie to sao aka summer wars it then it'd be excellent

See, normally I'd believe you, because you're a bro, but I don't because I have less than zero faith in the SAO writers. We're gonna get a bunch of contrived bullshit, capped off by a second to last episode with a creepy rape scene and a last episode that somehow makes it worse. We'll all post horrified reactions--while DTL makes DTL posts--and I'll break my remote, again, and we'll ask ourselves what moron decided any of this was a good idea.

They're gonna ruin King Arthur for me, I just know it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
MlWA77yPpdo2n_1qSr

MlWA77yRw4oPzJ2ysS

LATER
Haha, love the Spike and Shinon the murderer picks!

See, normally I'd believe you, because you're a bro, but I don't because I have less than zero faith in the SAO writers. We're gonna get a bunch of contrived bullshit, capped off by a second to last episode with a creepy rape scene and a last episode that somehow makes it worse. We'll all post horrified reactions--while DTL makes DTL posts--and I'll break my remote, again, and we'll ask ourselves what moron decided any of this was a good idea.

They're gonna ruin King Arthur for me, I just know it.

If you look at my twitter feed when SAO II aired in Japan I think mid way through the second half of this season I tweeted "we have a problem, this is actually kind of interesting, who are you and what have you done with my sao".

There is still contrived bull shit though that never goes away ;) the difference is it feels like someone else wrote these two arcs for the most part so its more a "oh that's convenient" and less "what? Fuck this bull shit"

RagnarokX

Lol well I guess that explains my frustration, the issue is anime pacing and not the story itself. No filler arc and better pacing and my complaint no longer exists.

Well the manga also interrupted Naruto's training for a couple of chapters with
Deidara and Tobi fighting the three-tails, but the anime decided to move that to after this arc so they could turn it into a filler arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you look at my twitter feed when SAO II aired in Japan I think mid way through the second half of this season I tweeted "we have a problem, this is actually kind of interesting, who are you and what have you done with my sao".

There is still contrived bull shit though that never goes away ;) the difference is it feels like someone else wrote these two arcs for the most part so its more a "oh that's convenient" and less "what? Fuck this bull shit"

But there's a rape scene that is somehow made worse the following episode, you never said there wasn't!

I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with SAO. People keep saying it gets better, but then it keeps hurting me so I've become afraid to hope.

Moaradin

I'm with Bass. The last arc in SAO2 shocked me when I first watched it. It's legitimately decent for a few reasons: (minor spoilers)
It has pretty good action, there's very little Kirito in it, and it's a more personal story(no YOU DIE IN THE GAME YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE or Death Gun bullshit) but it still feels like there's stakes. Plus it handles a serious topic ok-ish, which is a huge improvement from everything before it.
It's probably a fluke. SAO3 will go right back to stupid bullshit.

Seda

sigh

So, SaoII started by showing Asada's history with the post office scene as a traumatic event. She killed a human being, people shunned her, bullied her, and it gave her mental trauma and a gun phobia. On paper that sorta sounds feasible but as we saw it's carried out in the most melodramatic and heavy-handed way possible.

Now the show uses a minor side character to reshape that same event as a positive one, because now Asada is seeing how she saved lives too in addition to the blood on her hands.

First of all, the unborn child element is pretty trite and done-before, so pulling that card out isn't very imaginative or interesting. But my bigger issue is how black and white the show portrays this backstory event. It's goes from a traumatic past to a hopeful and spirited one on a dime. There's no nuance to it at all. Obviously none of us can directly relate to such events, but saving a human being by killing another is a complex situation that SAO fumbled terribly. Despite whatever PTSD might cloud judgments, I'd think Asada should have made at least some acknowledgement or reconciliation of that in all the time she must have had this on her mind, rather than literally having it told to her face. So not only is it trite, but it's blunt and treats both the characters and the audience as idiots.

Not to mention simply how strange the whole set up was.

Soulflarz

Banned
Basically what Seda said, and the fact that her PTSD is like an on off switch in regards to guns that only activates when the plot demands it.

Sinon trusted Kirito and she told him about her issues.

Kirito told other people without her permission.

Again without Sinon's permission, they looked up someone directly related to the incident that caused her PTSD.

They forced her to meet with this person.

Like, HOLY SHIT is this not okay.

VariantX

Again without Sinon's permission, they looked up someone directly related to the incident that caused her PTSD.

Yeah, that's probably the most casually screwed up thing ive seen in this series. And that's taking in account of the incestuous feelings from his cousin, the episode with under age child constantly being attacked by tentacle monsters, and the groping and attempted rapes.

RagnarokX

While it isn't nice that they did it without her permission, that's pretty much how you treat PTSD. You make the person remember the trauma and help them come to healthier cognitions and emotional responses about it.

Line_HTX

Okay, I missed a few episodes, but I mostly caught up now. I can at least post regularly again, I hope. One of my recordings was messed up because it started raining very hard that it screwed with the recording schedule. Oh well, I just hope it never rains again during Toonami.

Your timing is perfect, as always.
It's the Ryuko ahegao from fusing with Junketsu.
Nui is so jealous. And I'm the Grand Couturier.
Man, this is one bad touch bed scene.
DEEP KISS~ O////O
Nui was taken away from the tongue technique.
I only gave Ryuko a dose of existential terror, and voila.
The endgame is upon us.

Satsuki Senketsu is so cool and badass. Best character.
It is my resolve. It is my vengeance. IT IS THE SYMBOL OF HONNOUJI ACADEMY.
I'm just getting started.
Ridiculous ho? You can't mean that.
Genius, my ass. It's being a chickenshit, is all.
This shit MC is mind broken and drowning in please of the life fibers.
IT IS THE BLISS OF BEING A SLAVE!
TIGER KNEE!!
Feeling better now? Do ya? HUH?
Fire all the missiles.
Say goodbye, because IT'S COMING OFF!
Aww snap, it worked.
I'll do ANYTHING TO WIN! IT IS MY MODUS OPERANDI, YOU IDIOT!!
This is a job for MAKO! HAAAA!!

BEHOLD, THE MIGHT OF STORMWIND!

Revocs now control 100% of the blobal garment market.
One last task... Uh-OH...
Oh my God! It's happening!
Behold, the Cocoon Sphere Genesis.
[Laughing evilly] OH~HOHOHOHOHOHO!!
That Mako with the Ryuko hair impersonation is always funny to see.
You have yet to FACE MY WILL!
Your agitation proves my theory. WE WILL BE VICTORIOUS!
More like Ryuko's voice is so damn annoying.
Why the fuck is there a rabbit in the back of Mako's throat making an XD face?
I WILL FORCE YOU TO PUT ME ON AGAIN!
The power of your Sunday best will STRAIGHTEN! YOU!! OUT~!!!
You're alone~ in the rain~ Been thinking of you~
STOP THIS FAKE WEDDING!
BAH GAWD, SHE JUST SLICED HER IN HALF!
Oh girl, how can I speak with you~
If you could hear my secret~ Now I really want to talk~
It's a shame~ Oh, did you know~
See, you'll be stronger for real~
Holy shit, I thought that Mako actually died for a second. I was freaking out. At least they were both purged out.
LOL, she chucked that scissor blade straight through Nui, and Nui be like "I ain't even mad."
Doing the clenched fist pose like going Super Saiyan.
Please don't be fucking stupid emo anymore just because you're not human or some shit. I feel that this went on for too long and dragged the show down more than ever before. This phase was just irratatingly stupid and beyond annoying. It would've been so much better if she wasn't like this for multiple episodes, and Satsuki should've just socked her in the face with a loud, thundering boom. She could then snap her out of it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Goooood morning everyone. Hell of a night wasn't it?

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Goku's here! And he is jacked!
One-shots Recoome like he's nothing, and completely messes with Jeice and Burter (the latter getting owned). Fastest in the universe... pfffft.

Kill la Kill:
Ryuko makes a surprisingly good villain. Of course by the end of the episode, she's back to normal.
Senketsu really gets around. First Satsuki and now Mako.

Michiko & Hatchin:
Remember kids, fortunes in animu & video games are always accurate.
Though, what was the director thinking giving the restaurant owner that accent? Maybe it was like that in Japanese...

SAO II (Phantom Bullet Finale):
Ffffffffffffffffffuck!
Words words words words words words long farting noise.
And fuck that ending. "Here's someone that witnessed the most traumatic day of your life, we brought them in without your permission knowing full well you have issues" God damn...
And please SAO, no more attempted rape! Enough of that!

Naruto Shippuden:
Training training training! Training training training! Training training training!

One Piece:
Get used to these kinds of episodes, this is where the pacing really takes a hit. Thankfully, the battle really resumes next week.

Seda

Restaurant owner accent aside, while last night's episode of Michiko & Hatchin slowed things down a bit, I appreciate the change in pace from 'gottagetstronger' and 'nevergiveup' that pervades the rest of the block. It's clear the focus is the character dynamic.

So far Michiko doesn't have many admirable character traits. A criminal, thief, liar, not very intelligent, and also seemingly relying on embellished memories. She doesn't fully remember what Hiroshi looks like (she was sure the sketch was of him) so how can we take her word for anything else she says about him?

Interested to see how these characters develop.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On a scale of one to perfect, how much would this avatar fit my tag? I know it'll be hard to top my previous two avatars, but would be nice to have a change in avatars.

Rm51w7U.jpg

I also have to say last night's One Piece was rather boring (mainly the 2nd half, 1st half was still funny) to the point I was amazed I didn't doze off. Hopefully, it sounds as though next week we'll focus on the fighting again.

& holy crap, these last two episodes of SAO2 were on par with ep. 24 of SAO1. I don't think we're gonna be able to top those episodes considering our reactions.

Regiruler

Shippuden's OST makes everything awesome provided there's some actual animation.

Please don't tell me kirito is a poorly written arthur standin
I had more of an issue with her giving the gun back to someone that just tried to kill her with it.
I have to agree with this.

She trusted kirito, which was her own fault/doing, but at least he had good intentions.

While it isn't nice that they did it without her permission, that's pretty much how you treat PTSD. You make the person remember the trauma and help them come to healthier cognitions and emotional responses about it.

That's the entire thing, though. They ambushed her with this person and then crossed their fingers. They're not licensed therapists, they don't know how she's going to react or if she's actually ready for this and springing it on her accentuates that issue by a pretty fair amount.

Restaurant owner accent aside, while last night's episode of Michiko & Hatchin slowed things down a bit, I appreciate the change in pace from 'gottagetstronger' and 'nevergiveup' that pervades the rest of the block. It's clear the focus is the character dynamic.

So far Michiko doesn't have many admirable character traits. A criminal, thief, liar, not very intelligent, and also seemingly relying on embellished memories. She doesn't fully remember what Hiroshi looks like (she was sure the sketch was of him) so how can we take her word for anything else she says about him?

Interested to see how these characters develop.

I thought it was kind of sweet that she bought Hana the stone because she was concerned about the fortune.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Just more evidence that Kirito is a sociopath and the true big bad of the series.

Soulflarz

Banned
I wouldn't say Kirito is bad, I would say he makes no proper sense because the writer makes no sense.

He isn't even doing a creepy thing where he acknowledges his harem and is intentionally keeping it alive, he just offhand realizes it and moves on with his day, because the writer is very....eh.

TheChits

On a scale of one to perfect, how much would this avatar fit my tag? I know it'll be hard to top my previous two avatars, but would be nice to have a change in avatars.

Rm51w7U.jpg

I also have to say last night's One Piece was rather boring (mainly the 2nd half, 1st half was still funny) to the point I was amazed I didn't doze off. Hopefully, it sounds as though next week we'll focus on the fighting again.

& holy crap, these last two episodes of SAO2 were on par with ep. 24 of SAO1. I don't think we're gonna be able to top those episodes considering our reactions.

What was the source of your previous avatar? It was great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom