• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember hearing that Cardcaptor Sakura got crazy edited so that Sakura wasn't the lead.
From Wiki:

Nelvana licensed Cardcaptor Sakura in North America, dubbed the series into English with Ocean Studios featuring Carly McKillip as Sakura, and released it under the name Cardcaptors. This version was heavily edited from the original Japanese version. The initial version of the dub covered all 70 episodes, although character names were changed, some Japanese text was changed to English, and controversial subjects such as same-sex relationships were edited out. The musical score was completely replaced with new music and some of the sound effects were replaced when they could not be separated into separate tracks, although the original opening and ending themes were dubbed into English.

Cardcaptors first aired in the United States on Kids' WB between June 17, 2000 and December 14, 2001. The version that aired on Kids WB was an alternate version of the Nelvana dub that was heavily edited even further with episodes re-ordered and some left out completely. The editing to the original Nelvana dub was done to refocus the series to be more action oriented for the appeal of male viewers, as they were seen as the largest audience of animation at the time. The first episode aired in Kids' WB's version was "Sakura's Rival", the eighth episode of the series, having removed episodes focusing on Sakura and to have the show start with Syaoran's arrival. The series ran for 39 episodes, changing the original episode order but finishing with the show's actual final episode.

Why did companies try to re-edit a show meant for one demographic to appeal to another? This'd be like if Toonami decided "HEY, let's make Sailor Moon more appealing to boys by editting it to make it seem like Tuxedo Mask is the lead!"

It's pretty nuts to think that something like Vision of Escaflowne showed up on American television in any form really.

The anime licensing boom was something else.
At least they tried...poorly because they didn't understand what they purchased but they still tried. "Hey it's got dragon mechs, the kids would love this!!" "But sir there are skimpy cat ladies, gore, dismemberments, sadistic villain, male nudity...the parents will be pissed." "Who cares we can edit it..."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm still kind of surprised we haven't had Escaflowne yet, considering DeMarco did originally want the series but lost it to Fox & Funimation redubbed it with better footage & it'd be a good way to promote the fact the series finally got re-released on Blu-Ray. Seems like something that'd fit well near the end of the block, i.e. Lupin's time slot.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
From Wiki:

Why did companies try to re-edit a show meant for one demographic to appeal to another? This'd be like if Toonami decided "HEY, let's make Sailor Moon more appealing to boys by editting it to make it seem like Tuxedo Mask is the lead!"

That'd be hilarious
"The hero that doesn't really do anything!"

BBboy20

The Lupin watchers here are in for a treat tonight. This coming episode is probably one of my favourites. I think you'll all love it.

Also, Stardust Crusaders hype. I can't wait to see the reactions for this one.
Plenty of us probably have seen the test dubs at least so that'll be about...3 weeks until everyone is fresh on the dubbed episodes.

caliph95

That'd be hilarious
"The hero that doesn't really do anything!"
90f.png

It would be hilarious as sort of comedy of useless cliche male hero taking credit of female protagonist or something like that

cntr

Banned
Maybe they looked at it and thought "hey, it's a fantasy series! we can capitalize on the fantasy boom!"

and then...yeah.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Remember when Fox aired Flint The Time Detective & Mon Colle Knights?

........Why do I remember that?!

cntr

Banned
Remember the Men in Black cartoon? Or Jackie Chan Adventures?

people totally would've called those anime if they aired today

Remember when Fox aired Flint The Time Detective & Mon Colle Knights?

........Why do I remember that?!
I still remember Monster Rancher and Teknoman...

Yes I remember these. I liked both of them. Jade grew up to be Azula from ATLA.

It's a cliche at this point, but I do have a soft spot for late 90s, turn of the century anime.

But not because of the popular works. I mean because so much was being made and in the obscure pre-internet age you are guaranteed to find stuff that no one talks about. The era of anime being broadcast on Starz or Scifi led to me associating anime with a feeling of discovery, like "what the hell is this?!?!?"

BBboy20

I remember the Godzilla cartoon.

Oh yeah, Shin Godzilla finally arrives on Home Video here next month.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I sort of remember Monster Rancher, but I think it was because I was confused if the game came first or the show.

I also remember Mew Mew Power and WHY DID I WATCH THAT

......maybe it was the mini-skirts.

Strangely enough, I remember my dad not being big on Ultimate Muscle because of the farting to the point he almost didn't wanting me watching it (which is....weird because I usually picked shows I knew wouldn't get me in trouble with my parents). Though at one point, I think even I grew tired of it.

cntr

Banned
Loved both of them growing up. Kids WB was the shit back then.
Same.

In retrospect, it was really surprising how well that MiB cartoon turned out for a movie-based thing. Well, I guess it's a good premise for an episodic series, but still.

they didn't shy away from the weird body horror shit, either

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At times I feel the anime streaming boom harms the medium more than helps.
Because 95% of the series get licensed now, it means a deluge of crap appears every 3-4 months and the gems get harder to find. At least being selective means we (usually) get the good stuff.

We also see how samey things are. How Light Novel adaptations are nearly all the same shit
And a lot of cheap garbage

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Because 95% of the series get licensed now, it means a deluge of crap appears every 3-4 months and the gems get harder to find. At least being selective means we (usually) get the good stuff.

We also see how samey things are. How Light Novel adaptations are nearly all the same shit

No, this is a net win because we get the good stuff we usually got along with some hidden gems. Sure, it means you have to do a little more work...or just look at something for five minutes and figure out its crap.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was a kid with no cable and games what else was I supposed to watch? Did they ever release Tekkaman Blade uncut?
I know Media Blasters originally put it on DVD uncut, but I don't think anyone has rescued it.

Man, I still can't believe Fighting Foodons actually got re-released on DVD by Discotek. Heck, they even have both the original Japanese version of Monster Rancher & the US version, though as separate releases.

Casuals. You do not know true anime pain until you remember watching anime like Shadow Skill, Saiyuki Reload, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Bio-Hunter, Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma, Gokusen, or Ninja Scroll (TV).

cntr

Banned
When're we getting Fighting Foodons x Shokugeki no Souma?

I'd totally watch a battle series based around cooking food monsters. Tell me that wouldn't be amazing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For the longest time, I thought that Fighting Foodons was cut short due to ratings, but nope, it's only 24 episodes long & I guess Fox aired the entire thing.

This isn't you, is it Zonic?
wuuuuut is that. That ain't me, Jojo is easily one of my favorite franchises. My username is either just Zonic for the most part, maybe has 5## after it for a few places but I tend to be consistent with my username.

....HOLY CRAP, remember Dinozaurs & Medabots? Man, I miss the days of Fox Kids & FoxBox.

Xe4

Banned

The thing about the streaming boom is it's super obviously untenable. It'll be interesting to see when it crashes and how hard it crashes, and what the effect on the industry is going to be.

cntr

Banned
I think anime in general is going to go through a rough time, 'cause most of that shit ain't popular in Japan either, and the otaku crowd won't last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom