• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

here's my list
1. Tenchi Muyo GXP
2. Sword Art Online
3.Filler Shippuden
4. Akame Ga Kill
5.Hamtaro

of worst toonami shows

fake edit:
just kidding Hamtaro is actually a pretty fun show

ckohler

ToonamiGAF Podcast's Toonami 5th Anniversary Show Ranking!
[Episode 66]

Grexeno, Seda, ckohler, and B-Dubs just spent SIX HOURS ranking the around 45 shows that have aired since the rebirth of Toonami in the order they aired. However, we did not include DB Super, Lupin the 3rd or Stardust Crusaders due to their "newness" and a couple of shows (Jojo and Jack) were split due to their seasons being radically different.

This list reflects are our four combined opinions. We made cases for and against each show and all four of us had to make compromises to reach a consensus. You can listen to our debate by downloading the following two MP3 files. These will also be available in the podcast feed.

Listen to Part One (1h 30m)
Listen to Part Two (4h 38m)

The Final List

Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Space Dandy
One Punch Man
Gurren Lagann
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Black Lagoon
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency
11. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
12. Samurai Jack
13. Samurai Jack Season 5
14. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood
15. Soul Eater
16. Samurai Champloo
17. The Big O
18. Sym-Bionic Titan
19. InuYasha
20. Attack on Titan
21. Eureka Seven
22. Hellsing Ultimate
23. Dragonball Z Kai
24. Kill la Kill
25. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
26. Naruto
27. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
28. Michiko & Hatchin
29. Deadman Wonderland
30. Casshern Sins
31. Bleach
32. IGPX
33. Parasyte -the maxim-
34. Blue Exorcist
35. ThunderCats (2011)
InuYasha: The Final Act
Sword Art Online
Samurai 7
Naruto Shippuden
Dimension W
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Beware the Batman
Tokyo Ghoul
Akame ga Kill!
Tenchi Muyo! GXP

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Really appreciate the fact you hid what the best & worst shows were. I can't wait to listen to this at work.

Been debating if I should mention each music/band reference when they appear in Jojo, but decided I'll only bring it up if someone asks or I can do a quick rundown the day after instead of during live-posting. Plus some of them are rather obvious as to why they had to be changed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unicorn
's sound and visuals are too good to be in the bottom 10.

I wanted it a little higher, but not enough to get it out of the bottom 10. It's a shown so pretty that they should have known better than to make it as bad as they did.

I am a little surprised the list didn't wind up looking more controversial though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is gonna sound insane coming from me, but ya know what? I think I agree with Kai being right smack in the middle.

It's a show that had a huge impact both on people & the industry because it helped show there was demand to bring more anime over along with introducing popular shonen tropes, but when looked at today, it has not aged very well, especially compared to other shonen which have brought new/better things to the genre or executed certain tropes better. So the nostalgia & impact are balanced out by how dated, repetitive, & padded it is.

Yes, if it was my list, it'd easily be near the bottom, but even I can't ignore how much of an effect it had on pop culture & the anime industry as a whole. Hell, there's also the fact it helped get Toonami off the ground as well, so there's also that big detail.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On what planet is Eureka Seven worse than Soul Eater?
Because of these three:

Eureka-Seven-eureka-7-2257148-704-528.jpg

If Hatchin was the best kid character we've seen on the block, these are easily the worst.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As mentioned before, I'll likely have to leave early as I've got work early tomorrow.
I've taped everything after Jojo (except TG because fuck that)

The Lupin watchers here are in for a treat tonight. This coming episode is probably one of my favourites. I think you'll all love it.

Also, Stardust Crusaders hype. I can't wait to see the reactions for this one.

Chase17

I got five episodes into Eureka 7 but have kind of dropped for a while. Should get back to it, first two episodes were very good.

So HxH is already 8 after just being through Yorknew? Coming for top 3? Or is it already bumped up a bit since people know what is to come.

Grexeno

I got five episodes into Eureka 7 but have kind of dropped for a while. Should get back to it, first two episodes were very good.

So HxH is already 8 after just being through Yorknew? Coming for top 3? Or is it already bumped up a bit since people know what is to come.
Already 8 just through Yorknew.

cntr

Banned
It's better than Code Geass. I actually think Escaflowne, E7 and Code Geass pretty much share the same production DNA or something...or is it Rahxephon instead of Escaflowne?
I haven't properly sat down and watched any of those, but I get what you mean.

Regiruler

I think I watched the first episode of SAO on Toonami here at the beach. I think that's the earliest I ever watched the block.

How many years has it been since then?

Xe4

Banned
I'm totally going to listen to that podcast... tomorrow. Ain't no way I'm stopping 1/3 of the way through to watch Toonami. I'd never fucking find my place again, haha.

I haven't properly sat down and watched any of those, but I get what you mean.
If I were you I'd prioritize The Vision of Escaflowne and Rahxephon since those two are top tier, then Eureka 7. First season of CG is good, but falters a bit on the second season. Rahxephon is said to be an Evangelion clone but it's most likely a bit better than Evangelion in a way...it's less abstract and the characters are handled better in my opinion. Superior waifu's as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Eureka has issues with it's first 10 or so episodes, but is legitimately good after that. Personally I think it goes higher, but it is what it is.

Basically, no one on the podcast was a huge Eureka Seven fan and was really fighting for it.

I really like it, but I also recognize that it's a fairly divisive show. You either love it or hate it, so while I'd have it higher that's probably about where it belongs. It makes a decent demarcation between the top and bottom halves.

cntr

Banned
If I were you I'd prioritize The Vision of Escaflowne and Rahxephon since those two are top tier, then Eureka 7. First season of CG is good, but falters a bit on the second season. Rahxephon is said to be an Evangelion clone but it's most likely a bit better than Evangelion in a way...it's less abstract and the characters are handled better in my opinion. Superior waifu's as well.
Yeah, have heard good things about all Escaflowne and Rahxephon, they're definitely on my list.

caliph95

I'm convinced you know what really important dude and clearly superior taste
Seriously should finish Rahxephon and E7

Moaradin

I'm surprised Soul Eater is so high tbh. Don't get me wrong, I really love the series. It was the first time I actually sought out a manga for something because I wanted more of it. But man, the last 1/3 of the anime really sours it.

Yeah, have heard good things about all Escaflowne and Rahxephon, they're definitely on my list.
Escaflowne has great villains. Folken and Dilandau are great, they are definitely two really good mecha shows. Escaflowne gets bonus points for having excellently designed steampunk mecha and an excellent Yoko Kanno score.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
if it's such an excellent score, how come fox kids didn't use it when they aired escaflowne?

no seriously, wtf fox. I hope Toonami gets it so I can see the series in its original format

cntr

Banned
I'm surprised Soul Eater is so high tbh. Don't get me wrong, I really love the series. It was the first time I actually sought out a manga for something because I wanted more of it. But man, the last 1/3 of the anime really sours it.
I have heard some not so good things about where the Soul Eater plot goes, but I really like the manga artstyle. Didn't the anime go off on some crazy gecko arc?

Escaflowne has great villains. Folken and Dilandau are great, they are definitely two really good mecha shows. Escaflowne gets bonus points for having excellently designed steampunk mecha and an excellent Yoko Kanno score.
...shit I totally forgot that Escaflowne was about steampunk mecha and who made the OST.

Gonna push that higher up my list.

if it's such an excellent score, how come fox kids didn't use it when they aired escaflowne?

no seriously, wtf fox. I hope Toonami gets it so I can see the series in its original format
I thought they did...might have been a licensing problem. Fuck the Fox broadcast though since they hacked it up.
I'm convinced you know what really important dude and clearly superior taste
Seriously should finish Rahxephon and E7
Best waifu:
11498-1278960708.gif

vlcsnap-2013-02-12-22h08m06s70.png

4oZzbND.gif

cntr

Banned
didn't the Fox Kids broadcast try to cut out one of the main characters because she's a girl, or am I thinking of something else they cut up

edit: oh nevermind it was something else ...oh, it was.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
didn't the Fox Kids broadcast try to cut out one of the main characters because she's a girl, or am I thinking of something else they cut up
Yup, they tried to re-edit the series so it made it seem like the dude she liked was the main character.

.......and it didn't even reach 10 episodes.

caliph95

I have heard some not so good things about where the Soul Eater plot goes, but I really like the manga artstyle. Didn't the anime go off on some crazy gecko arc?

...shit I totally forgot that Escaflowne was about steampunk mecha and who made the OST.

Gonna push that higher up my list.
The final arc ends before the manga and had an ending that didn't make sense as well for the final arc changing a lot of stuff

edit: oh nevermind it was something else
I know they shifted some scenes around. Once it got obvious it's too dark for kids they took it off. I think right before some dude gets crushed in a mech hand it went bye bye.
E7 is way better than Raexephon or Escaflowne. All three should be watched though.
I wouldn't put either of them above the other personally, but all three showcase you can have an excellent show with women without 100% degrading the shit out of them or marginalizing them. Those casts have some very strong women, even Hitomi, whom has saved Van's ass countless times.

cntr

Banned
I know they shifted some scenes around. Once it got obvious it's too dark for kids they took it off. I think right before some dude gets crushed in a mech hand it went bye bye.
Man.

Thank god we had old Toonami to do this stuff right.

E7 is way better than Raexephon or Escaflowne. All three should be watched though.
Will still do Eureka Seven first because why not, but yeah definitely gonna watch all of them eventually

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I thought they did...might have been a licensing problem. Fuck the Fox broadcast though since they hacked it up.
My understanding is, they used SOME of the music, but replaced some others with some techno (I guess to sound more appealing to the young male demographic).

But yes, they cut/altered scenes due to violence or time & to appeal to the young boys. Because boys can't be interested in a show if the lead character is not the same gender as them.

caliph95

I know the Soul Eater author has another manga, but I'm incapable of finding anyone who gives a shit about it.
The fire manga and it's funny because I think Soul Eater was fairly popular yet it has a low rating on mal for mal anyway or at least ok plus the wiki and tvtropes is competitively lacking
People care more about soul eater not than the new manga

Man.

Thank god we had old Toonami to do this stuff right.
I really do wish it got the old school Toonami treatment, Fox probably paid a ton for it too. I would think it would be way more popular if Toonami got it as well Great OP too...
My understanding is, they used SOME of the music, but replaced some others with some techno (I guess to sound more appealing to the young male demographic).

But yes, they cut/altered scenes due to violence or time & to appeal to the young boys. Because boys can't be interested in a show if the lead character is not the same gender as them.
But manly ass Allen Schezar looked like a woman...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I remember hearing that Cardcaptor Sakura got crazy edited so that Sakura wasn't the lead.

It's pretty nuts to think that something like Vision of Escaflowne showed up on American television in any form really.

The anime licensing boom was something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom