• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
because nobody in that promo walked like an Egyptian, nor was any footage of Egypt shown.

My only guess is that Roundabout was a much more demanded "PLZ KEEP THIS ED" & so they wanted to answer the question via promo, where as while I'm sure some people still hope for Part 3's EDs to go untouched, it's not as popular.

They should have just kept Roundabout for Part 3.

because nobody in that promo walked like an Egyptian, nor was any footage of Egypt shown.

My only guess is that Roundabout was a much more demanded "PLZ KEEP THIS ED" & so they wanted to answer the question via promo, where as while I'm sure some people still hope for Part 3's EDs to go untouched, it's not as popular.

I feel like Roundabout makes for better Trailer music than Walk Like an Egyptian.

When I think of something as edgy, I generally think the story hasn't been successful in giving me reason to care about what happens after a violent act is over. I rarely think works, be that anime/book/game/movie/whatever are too violent, but I do think violence on some level should be earned. That the level of violence on display should feel appropriate for the story being told. I personally wouldn't consider Black Lagoon edgy, because the manga/show really sets the stage for the amount of violence that's about to take place.

To continue from my previous post somewhat, after a brief introduction to Rock, this is the first we see of Revy and Dutch.

download.png

Beating up Rock and Revy straight up threatens to knee cap him. Black Lagoon sets its tone quickly.

Moaradin

When Bae Balalaika tells you to "Kneel" you best fucking do it.

In character designs yes, SDC just had a weird look to it since everybody had the same damn body type, but I would think overall production values goes to SDC, Part 4 is more enjoyable though.

The production is much better in Part 4 as well. There are some jank moments, but Part 3 had a lot more of them. You remember how jank the final episodes were?

The production is much better in Part 4 as well. There are some jank moments, but Part 3 had a lot more of them. You remember how jank the final episodes were?
Yes, definitely...dude was definitely off model. Spoiler:
Who got dealt a worse hand though Shinobu or DIO
?

Yes, definitely...dude was definitely off model. Spoiler:
Who got dealt a worse hand though Shinobu or DIO
?
To continue from my previous post somewhat, after a brief introduction to Rock, this is the first we see of Revy and Dutch.

download.png

Beating up Rock and Revy straight up threatens to knee cap him. Black Lagoon sets its tone quickly.
If its got tits in Black Lagoon you best not fuck with it.

How the hell did I double post this? I swear I hit edit...

cntr

Banned
I don't care much about the animation quality, but some of the Part 4 episodes had very...questionable direction or cuts. The BDs should alleviate a lot of that, but still, the production was better in SDC overall.

I do much prefer Part 4's colorfulness and stylization overall, though. Gonna be good when we get there in 2018!

Yes, obviously, part 4 is my favorite :p.

(But I liked the part 1-3 OP style a lot)
I loved them too, though for some odd reason Part 4 straight up feels more anime than SDC...don't even know why, so I didn't mind as much. Seemed to fit the style they had going for it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Checked the calendar, and the tentative end date for Stardust Crusaders is June 23rd 2018. As usual this is without marathons so I'm guessing July (or even August).

As for IBO Season 2, there's no official start date but I'm going to guess it's October 7th as Tokyo Ghoul Filler Fuckers should end on September 30th (I'm factoring in Labor Day). So with that in mind, IBO Season 2 will end March 24th, without marathons. So more likely April.

We're getting the blu-ray versions of SDC, by the way.

...yeah, uncensored.

I am now diamonds.

BatDan

Part 4 uncensored is actually nastier that Part 3 uncensored, at least from what I've seen.

Jojo is a pretty nasty series overall. Araki really loved pushing Jump's limits.
I can't imagine how bad Part 5 will be censored. Hopefully it's not Terra Formars bad. Again, David Pro should strike a deal with Crunchyroll where they air the uncensored version in North America, but I don't think they will as they want Japanese people to buy the Blu-Ray and they know Japanese people will just find CR rips. Hell, Japanese people "reverse-import" anime from Funimation because it's vastly cheaper than what they get. Why do you think Aniplex is so expensive?

... How did I get here?

Xe4

Banned
When I think of something as edgy, I generally think the story hasn't been successful in giving me reason to care about what happens after a violent act is over. I rarely think works, be that anime/book/game/movie/whatever are too violent, but I do think violence on some level should be earned. That the level of violence on display should feel appropriate for the story being told. I personally wouldn't consider Black Lagoon edgy, because the manga/show really sets the stage for the amount of violence that's about to take place.
I'd say the loli kids in Black Lago on were a bit edgy. Even though their situation was way more fucked up, the show and manga played it straighter than something like Tokyo Ghoul, which I think is what made the difference.

Man, I totally want to know more about Dutch because they hinted there's some shit going on there. Too bad it looks like I'll have to wait until after the current arc.
LOL, the current arc that hasn't had an entry since 2014.

Edit: NM based Rei Hiroe is based.

cntr

Banned
Man, I need to watch/read Black Lagoon too. Too many things to catch up to.

Edit: Edgy for me is when something is violent or dark because "being dark is cool". Like, for a counter-example, Berserk is as dark as you can get, but it's not edgy because the point isn't to make you go "this is cool", the point is to make you go "this is suffering". There's a specific tone and point to it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd say the loli kids in Black Lago on were a bit edgy. Even though their situation was way more fucked up, the show and manga played it straighter than something like Tokyo Ghoul, which I think is what made the difference.

LOL, the current arc that hasn't had an entry since 2013.

Black Lagoon is back dude. We're getting monthly chapters again, have been since May. The next volume is totally completed so if nothing else this arc should finish up and with any luck it means no more hiatuses going forward. Jump back in dude, shit is going down.

Xe4

Banned
Black Lagoon is back dude. We're getting monthly chapters again, have been since May. The next volume is totally completed so if nothing else this arc should finish up and with any luck it means no more hiatuses going forward. Jump back in dude, shit is going down.
Wuuuuuut? Damn, I'm fucking behind. Last time I checked up on it was April, which is probably why I thought it was on hiatus.

Fuck me, god damn I'm stoked.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wuuuuuut? Damn, I'm fucking behind. Last time I checked up on it was April, which is probably why I thought it was on hiatus.

Oh yes. It's back and Rock is doing Rock things and Revvy is doing Revvy things. Next chapter is the end of the month, so you've got time to read the other two chapters and catch up.

Mizerman

Man, I totally want to know more about Dutch because they hinted there's some shit going on there. Too bad it looks like I'll have to wait until after the current arc.

Yep.
The implication that Dutch was not a Vietnam vet and whatever else that happened in his past.

Oh yes. It's back and Rock is doing Rock things and Revvy is doing Revvy things. Next chapter is the end of the month, so you've got time to read the other two chapters and catch up.
I didn't really like how that arc started, felt slow after the Roberta's bloodtrail arc. I need to pick it back up. Don't even know where it begins, so much manga to catch up on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I didn't really like how that arc started, felt slow after the Roberta's bloodtrail arc. I need to pick it back up. Don't even know where it begins, so much manga to catch up on.

It's a cooldown arc after Roberta's Blood Trail.
It looks like it might get a bit into Revvy and Rock's relationship at the end though. She had a nice little freakout moment just before the break.

BatDan

This got lost in the shuffle but Shokugeki no Soma is getting dubbed.

Prepare for terrible performances from good voice actors like Jad Saxon, Luci Christian and John Swasey.

EDIT: Found the voice director. Same guy as Akame ga Kill and Parasyte. Oh noooooooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom