• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
God damn. I really hope this isn't a forgotten plot point. I always just assumed he became
Meruem
, but I don't think that was something the anime paid that much attention to, which is why I never remember it.

Nah, he walked off, right past Gon, and went into the wider world. So he's out there, somewhere. I think he was the very first Ant to regain his human consciousness.

Yep, both because of Togashi's health and because his wife, the creator of Sailor Moon, also started filling in with the art.

Yea, he's obviously finally allowed or asked her for help drawing the series. He was always really adamant about doing it all himself.

cntr

Banned
Didn't some people here say the art quality in HxH varies wildly?

It does, yeah, though mostly because of Togashi's health.

A bigger issue is that Togashi's not that good at comic art. The panelling and composition is pretty lacking, and it leans too much into text, so a lot of the action and characterization's going to fall flat if you can't get used to it and look past it.

Yea, he's obviously finally allowed or asked her for help drawing the series. He was always really adamant about doing it all himself.
To be fair, she's also really busy working on the new Sailor Moon projects and whatnot. I get him not wanting to push more work onto him.

In fact, iirc, they met because she worked on Hunter x Hunter as an assistant, but quit because the work was too much.

Nah, he walked off, right past Gon, and went into the wider world. So he's out there, somewhere. I think he was the very first Ant to regain his human consciousness.

Damn. I need to get back on track with my rewatch.
Shojo manga Bisky is so kawaii.
It does, yeah, though mostly because of Togashi's health.

A bigger issue is that Togashi's not that good at comic art. The panelling and composition is pretty lacking, and it leans too much into text, so a lot of the action and characterization's going to fall flat if you can't get used to it and look past it.
Maybe he should pay Tite Kubo in food and get him to draw HxH for him?
To be fair, she's also really busy working on the new Sailor Moon projects and whatnot. I get him not wanting to push more work onto him.

In fact, iirc, they met because she worked on Hunter x Hunter as an assistant, but quit because the work was too much.
Wait what? Is HxH that popular that she needed to work as an assistant for it? This post Sailor Moon?

cntr

Banned
Kubo's composition got pretty crap too! The art's pretty detailed and pretty, but it's mostly panels of blank space and generic poses. Early Bleach art's a lot less detailed, but it's a lot nicer to look at as a whole.

See also: Kishimoto's art. Early Naruto's just better.

Wait what? Is HxH that popular that she needed to work as an assistant for it? This post Sailor Moon?
I think she was an assistant in the sense of "this is a new big manga and we need help managing stuff and getting started with the art".

But yeah, "the guy who made Yu Yu Hakusho is starting a new series" was a really big deal.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Togashi famously wants to do it all himself, apparently his health either stopped allowing for that altogether or he finally asked her for help. I mean, maybe she's looking for a little something to do during the day herself and she doesn't want the stress of her own series.

Kubo's composition got pretty crap too! The art's pretty detailed and pretty, but it's mostly panels of blank space and generic poses. Early Bleach art's a lot less detailed, but it's a lot nicer to look at as a whole.

See also: Kishimoto's art. Early Naruto's just better.

I think she was an assistant in the sense of "this is a new big manga and we need help managing stuff and getting started with the art".

But yeah, "the guy who made Yu Yu Hakusho is starting a new series" was a really big deal.
I wonder if the next unrelated series being a big deal will happen with Kishimoto or Kubo...probably most definitely not Kubo since that last thing I saw him do was cosplaying. Kishimoto? Maybe The ending of Naruto in manga form did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I liked Naruto Gaiden though.
Togashi famously wants to do it all himself, apparently his health either stopped allowing for that altogether or he finally asked her for help. I mean, maybe she's looking for a little something to do during the day herself and she doesn't want the stress of her own series.
Probably beats watching Japanese soap operas...

cntr

Banned
Bleach was very unpopular in Japan and basically got cancelled. And Kubo doesn't give a crap anymore.

Maybe Kishimoto. I hear he wanted to do a monthly sci-fi manga?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Bleach was very unpopular in Japan and basically got cancelled. And Kubo doesn't give a crap anymore.

Maybe Kishimoto. I hear he wanted to do a monthly sci-fi manga?

The pitch: Ok so they're like cyborgs but they don't really do anything or act like cybrogs after the intial set up. Oh and they have fucking crazy robot eyes.

cntr

Banned
the worst part about that

The whole orange jumpsuit thing was supposed to be a joke in early Naruto. But Kishimoto ignored that like he ignored everything from back then.

What a hack.

The pitch: Ok so they're like cyborgs but they don't really do anything or act like cybrogs after the intial set up. Oh and they have fucking crazy robot eyes.
You just know he's reading HxH trying to figure out a new way to steal the same shit without people noticing.

cntr

Banned
It's kind of funny when you realize that Bleach and Naruto started out as YYH and HxH rip-offs. Togashi was indirectly responsible for two of the old big three.

At least Oda's original.

it's kind of funny when you realize that Bleach and Naruto started out as YYH and HxH rip-offs. Togashi was responsible for two of the old big three.

at least Oda's original.
I will at least give Oda that. Bleach wasn't even a good YYH copy, even YYH didn't stay stagnant. From what I hear Kubo came off as a guy that didn't know how to plot his series out. I'll admit Togashi flies by the seat of his pants a bit, but he's damn good at doing this.

cntr

Banned
I will at least give Oda that. Bleach wasn't even a good YYH copy, even YYH didn't stay stagnant. From what I hear Kubo came off as a guy that didn't know how to plot his series out. I'll admit Togashi flies by the seat of his pants a bit, but he's damn good at doing this.
tbh, if Bleach remained a slice-of-life-y supernatural mystery series, it would've been one of my favorite series ever.

I feel like Togashi's the kind of guy who seriously plans ahead but also throws in whatever shit he wants to talk about.

tbh, if Bleach remained a slice-of-life-y supernatural mystery series, it would've been one of my favorite series ever.

I feel like Togashi's the kind of guy who seriously plans ahead but also throws in whatever shit he wants to talk about.
I always need to be reminded of what Bleach was like before it went super shonen. I love HxH with how random it is at times. "I'm going to explain to you how to buy and sell at an auction. Now pay attention, it'll be vital later." Jojo is also pretty funny with that kind of thing but we all know that when Araki does it it's usually not plot relevant. Mostly just Araki talking about stuff from his past in a way or subtly dropping his love for horror movies.

Basically, yeah
I find it funny that people think Nen randomly just got broken. It's always been a bit crazy, it just eventually went into Stand territory once Togashi got more creative with the mechanic. There's a reason Nen and Stands are my favorite mechanics.

For sure! They are mine, too

God damn. I really hope this isn't a forgotten plot point.

Alright, lemme tell you just this so as to not go into spoiler territory - you can read the end of chapter 203, and around the middle of chapter 204 for said 'forgotten' plot point.
Also maybe chapter 102 for additional stuff about the Phantom Troupe which neither of the anime delved into

...Also, I think I am seeing some near-MAL-level posts in that thread. Eek!

TheSun

^^
Damn right.

And before anybody asks: Yes, Tetra Master is the best card game ever, even though I don't know what the hell I'm doing!

Can't disagree with that. I also love how he smugly puts away the money

And I do enjoy the tune to Tetra Master...though I cannot understand how that game works at all

BBboy20

Platinum Pack: 101, Bayonetta 1 and 2, and maybe Star Fox Zero.
DEBQaQTV0AAnD8B.jpg

Technically Lupin Part 5. :p

Thats whats confusing me atm, people keep saying its part 5 but its continuation from their adventures in part 4 in another country and hes still wearing the blue jacket. so its more of a season 2 then another part.

On the subject of Bleach, it wasn't necessarily unpopular per-se, but by the end of its run it kept appearing at the bottom of WSJ reader polls and the tv series got canned.

I want to say the manga volume sells were still good.

Thought so, so its just a bunch of fan speculation then hard numbers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thought so, so its just a bunch of fan speculation then hard numbers.

I mean, it still got cancelled. That probably had more to do with how Kubo was dragging it out than anything else though.

They gave him a final arc to wrap it all up and he takes like 5 years to do it with no end in sight. Can't really blame them at that point.

I mean, it still got cancelled. That probably had more to do with how Kubo was dragging it out than anything else though.

They gave him a final arc to wrap it all up and he takes like 5 years to do it with no end in sight. Can't really blame them at that point.
Wait they gave him five years? I thought they just sprung it on him

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait they gave him five years? I thought they just sprung it on him

No, reportedly they gave him a chance to end on his terms. The final arc was announced as the final arc, so he was clearly given the opportunity to end it his way. Five years later there's no end in sight (he kept creating new enemies for everyone to fight and the arc kept stretching on) and the series got canned at that point. Not all that hard to draw conclusions from the situation.

No, reportedly they gave him a chance to end on his terms. The final arc was announced as the final arc, so he was clearly given the opportunity to end it his way. Five years later there's no end in sight (he kept creating new enemies for everyone to fight and the arc kept stretching on) and the series got canned at that point. Not all that hard to draw conclusions from the situation.
I guess a bucket full of plankton could write better than Kubo.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I don't buy "health issues". Sure being a manga artist is a strain, but if Kubo was really as sick as he claimed, he wouldn't have rushed it this way. Yeah, it was more likely cancelled. The fact it was so unceremonious compared to Naruto and Kochikame lends credence to that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I guess a bucket full of plankton could write better than Kubo.

I mean, there is a way he could have ended it on short notice that would have transformed Bleach into a trolling masterwork that makes Haruhi's Endless Eight look like child's play, but sadly he did not take that route.

I don't buy "health issues". Sure being a manga artist is a strain, but if Kubo was really as sick as he claimed, he wouldn't have rushed it this way. Yeah, it was more likely cancelled. The fact it was so unceremonious compared to Naruto and Kochikame lends credence to that.

Yea, I never really bought that either. If he was just sick they would have let him go on hiatus like with Togashi or give him a few weeks off to recover like with Oda. They totally just got sick of him dragging it out.

Mizerman

Kubo could've made one hell of a fashion designer.

I can believe that his health issues were a factor, but it still was his decision to have Bleach end the way that it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom