• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Castlevania isn't perfect and has problems something to do with it's 4 episode count but it's everything i needed this day and age especially for someone for only played the castlevania demo

Is there anime recommendations for this

Hellsing? Its even got Dracula.

Crocodile

Castlevania anime was lit. Some scenes seemed forced (as in they were there more for the sake of being there than being good) but it was a good introduction. I'm not really sure why they decided to do a 4 episode Season 1 though. I mean they obviously knew they were going to do Season 2 already - they wouldn't have ended Season 1 the way they did if Season 2 wasn't already confirmed.

I kept it on mute but my eyes wandered to it and I saw a scene I saw on /a/ last year to showcase how bad it was. I can't believe that got past QC.

The animators know what they were doing - nothing failed to pass QC. There is only so much someone can do with a shittacular production schedule though.

I haven't watched Castlevania, but I do have one concern based on what I've seen so far.

I think it may be too violent for a series I never really considered terribly violent. I'm talking about this one scene where the camera pauses on
a baby ripped in half,
and I think that's a bit much for a game series where throwing pies at your enemies is a reasonable tactic. Part of that is also due to the fact that most of the games are 2D, and that doesn't really lend itself to serious violence.

Still really looking forward to checking it out.

The Castlevania games have jokes but stuff still gets really bloody and violent in them. It's just obscured in some part by the artstyle, pixels, etc.

Morlas

hopefully the recent success of samurai jack along with other western action animation will convince cn to invest back into original action programming

caliph95

Castlevania anime was lit. Some scenes seemed forced (as in they were there more for the sake of being there than being good) but it was a good introduction. I'm not really sure why they decided to do a 4 episode Season 1 though. I mean they obviously knew they were going to do Season 2 already - they wouldn't have ended Season 1 the way they did if Season 2 wasn't already confirmed.

The animators know what they were doing - nothing failed to pass QC. There is only so much someone can do with a shittacular production schedule though.

It did feel like a glorified pilot but with us being the test audience

cntr

Banned
Castlevania started off as an animated movie (that Warren Ellis was pushing since 2007!), and season 1 was the first movie, that's why it's so short.

Season 2's gonna be movie 2 and 3, apparently.

HStallion

Once season 2 comes out I feel the Castlevania show will work a lot better for people as the first four episodes are basically the first third of a larger story. Its all set up, world building and setting up characters.

But something something Berserk is impossible to do in 2D...

I will argue this for shitty cgi in anime like Berserk or Arslan. When you want to flood the screen with a massive army charing at another massive army you can do that shit a lot faster and cheaper then with hand drawn. Imagine the perfect Berserk adaptation how long some of those battle scenes would take to animate.

cntr

Banned
They should just knock models into the air like bowling pins, cartoon-style.

Even that's better than goddamn CGI.

I will argue this for shitty cgi in anime like Berserk or Arslan. When you want to flood the screen with a massive army charing at another massive army you can do that shit a lot faster and cheaper then with hand drawn. Imagine the perfect Berserk adaptation how long some of those battle scenes would take to animate.
You can use 3D assets for those. I'd be fine with a merging of the two. But for more subtler stuff and non massive battles 2D should be doable. Pretty much Berserk post Golden Age isn't even really like that though minus some stuff during the Millenium Falcon arc.

I'd take the pretty looking stills from the 90s anime over that awful CGI for those scenes.

I'm not saying I disagree, but I get someone who'd argue that bad moving cg to simulate an army fighting is technically better then a still shot of an army fighting with shaky cam.

You can use 3D assets for those. I'd be fine with a merging of the two. But for more subtler stuff and non massive battles 2D should be doable. Pretty much Berserk post Golden Age isn't even really like that though minus some stuff during the Millenium Falcon arc.

Of course, how castlevania handled it should be what berserk did.

HStallion

They should make claymation Berserk.

Do it like Thunderbolt Fantasy or Kubo and the Two Strings.

I'm not saying I disagree, but I get someone who'd argue that bad moving cg to simulate an army fighting is technically better then a still shot of an army fighting with shaky cam.

I think they can get away with it as the manga often portrays the huge battles in the Golden Age by often focusing on the smaller personal battles and skirmishes. The battle of Doldrey is mostly Guts fighting and the surprise attack on the castle while the dust quite literally obscures the battlefield.

Xe4

Banned
It's been a good year for adult action cartoon shows. Samurai Jack, Castlevania, and Lastman (technically not out in America yet, but is getting dubbed and sent to Mondo soon-ish). Plus season 2 of Castlevania and probably Assassins Creed next year.

That's compared to essentially nothing for the last few decade plus (unless you count stuff like Archer, which I mostly don't).

They should just knock models into the air like bowling pins, cartoon-style.

Even that's better than goddamn CGI.
CGI, if done right, is perfectly fine, even for a show like Berserk.
It wasn't done right, AT ALL.
I've seen freshman level CGI stuff have better production quality than fucking Berserk.

Mizerman

Venture Bros repeats.
*still waits for next season*

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

HStallion

Pretty much...
I just looked it up and the last season was only last year. Just give them more money Adult Swim.

They spend a lot of time writing the show and it shows. They're adherence to their own lore and then subverting it later on is... well impressive to say the least. The fact its so well written in general only adds to that as a random character mentioned in a joke in an early season will become a fully fledged cast member several seasons down the line with a full background and connections to other characters in universe.

TheSun

hopefully the recent success of samurai jack along with other western action animation will convince cn to invest back into original action programming

Fingers crossed.

It's what I've been hoping for ever since.

But CN isn't the kind of network to give'a damn. Justice League action...

caliph95

They didn't even gave it a chance. Just ran it at shitty hours and when it didn't get views cancelled it. CN turned into Nick recently, where if a show didn't make TT:Go numbers it was cancelled.
I didn't even knew it was cancelled that's how much they screwed the show
Doesn't help they barely release episode

HStallion

The pedophile Gorilla gets a cake filled with a boy. Super Villain prison is pretty fucked.

Xe4

Banned
I didn't even knew it was cancelled that's how much they screwed the show
Doesn't help they barely release episode
As far as I know, it wasn't ever cancelled, they just didn't put it on future schedules.
Depends on the kind and implementation.

Like, I wouldn't want to be in Arkham Asylum, lol.

Arkham wasn't really a prison, but somehow way more fucked then the actual prison, Belle Reve.

HStallion

The whole Rusty cloning his sons over and over is one of the most fucked up things ever.

caliph95

True, but they tend to treat Arkham as the default prison for whatever reason, especially in adaptations.
Basing from the arkham games and a comic it's because all of batman's villains are insane and because of that they become good hotels for metahumans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom