• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

DGoFNw9VwAAGtRg.jpg

I think my first post here was on a Toonami thread, but I'm not totally for sure and could be absolutely wrong. I've knew about the thread some time before I joined though. There was a period where I didn't post for quite a while, because laptop issues and college (mostly issues with the laptop).

Do a Man Godow.
I do want to do a HxH character, but it's not easy to find good enough art work for one of them. She is secret best girl though. Edit: Noin should suffice for a little bit, though this is one of my earlier makes, I think I've gotten better at transparencies since I did this one.

Morlas

I mean Videl has PTSD over has ass beating, Hinata came out of it decent enough mentally. She got her ass kicked for her man. Videl just got trounced for reasons.

And it's not like Hinata got beat down by a scrub like Videl did, she got beat by the arc boss

And it's not like Hinata got beat down by a scrub like Videl did, she got beat by the arc boss
And she landed a hit...even if it was filler. I do wish the show would have allowed her to fight people she could actually win against. It makes it look like she can't fight.

cntr

Banned
Yeah but "at least one" isn't much for a series that started off as a character-based story

(also a lot of those moments are dumb)

cntr

Banned
Also, the issue isn't that they don't have big moments, but they have no small moments either. A good character-based story elaborates characters and moves arcs along in the background, so it means something when their big moment comes together. That's how Fullmetal Alchemist and My Hero Academia work, for example.

In Shippuden, the characters don't get moments like that. So when they do get a big moment, it comes off false, since they've never gotten the required depth or complexity; Kishimoto has to resort to formula and cliché to fill stuff in.

It's weird, since the original Naruto did it right. Not very well, but it still did. But it's just dropped as a concept in Shippuden, aside from a few characters like Shikamaru, and rarely.

Morlas

Also, the issue isn't that they don't have big moments, but they have no small moments either. A good character-based story elaborates characters and moves arcs along in the background, so it means something when their big moment comes together. That's how Fullmetal Alchemist and My Hero Academia work, for example.

In Shippuden, the characters don't get moments like that. So when they do get a big moment, it comes off false, since they've never gotten the required depth or complexity; Kishimoto has to resort to formula and cliché to fill stuff in.

It's weird, since the original Naruto did it right. Not very well, but it still did. But it's just dropped as a concept in Shippuden, aside from a few characters like Shikamaru, and rarely.

Really it's because Naruto went from a character focused story to a lore focused story, but the lore wasn't good enough to do all the legwork

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just another reminder that you guys should watch Tsuredure Children.
Tsuredure Children is a wonderful reminder that I am single & it sucks & why can't I find a girl like that oh god this is exactly the pain i felt watching my love story why is life so damn cruel.........

So yeah, you should watch/read it, it's good. I caught up with the manga & cannot wait to see certain segments animated. It helps there's a huge variety of characters & you'll find one that clicks/relates with you. Had no idea it just started off as a manga on Pixiv, kind of makes me appreciate it even more knowing the artist was able to make it into an official series & even get an anime.

I'm glad I've started watching rom-coms that feel more grounded in terms of how actual relationships turn out instead of stuff like Nisekoi where it's just a damn endurance of "HOLY HELL, JUST CHOOSE ALREADY, DAMN IT"

cntr

Banned
There've been a lot of webcomics turned proper manga and then anime lately. It's cool.

I've also noticed that quite a few of them are romances, but in the sense that they actually start dating like sane people, instead of bullshit perpetual melodrama. Wonder if that's a trend? I'd be so glad if it is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There've been a lot of webcomics turned proper manga and then anime lately. It's cool.

I've also noticed that quite a few of them are romances, but in the sense that they actually start dating like sane people, instead of bullshit perpetual melodrama. Wonder if that's a trend? I'd be so glad if it is.
My Love Story was great in that it's just about two people who really like each other with almost no tropes or complications, & if there is, it's relegated to side characters. Nobody in the show is a bad person, misunderstandings are discussed with others, & quickly resolved in an episode instead of dragged out. There's two characters that make things a love triangle at one point, but both are handled well in that one character is absolutely fine with not getting the guy & the other accepts that he lost but our lead man is more than what he seems. Plus they're not dragged out for numerous episodes, maybe 2 at the most, 3 if they revisit it later on. Easily the best rom-com Shonen Jump ever published.

It's been a while since I last saw it, but My Little Monster/Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster just makes me think of the '80s plush toy) was also good in that the premise was our two leads were basically blunt with each other about how they felt, which was a very nice change in pace compared to all the series that would have our characters not talk because they were too afraid of what the other would think.

I'm just glad we've long passed the days of crap like Love Hina where our main female was just flat-out unlikable & questioned what the hell the main guy even saw in her when all she did was just abuse him.

cntr

Banned
My Love Story isn't a Jump series, it's in one of Shueisha's shoujo magazines.

But yeah, I like romance, but most romance series aren't about romance, they're about melodrama. So I'm glad it's getting to be a thing.

edit: My Little Monster sounds amusing, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, it's not? Weird, I could've sworn it was, considering they did 2 crossover chapters with Nisekoi.

....Oh, it's the company who owns Shonen Jump, never mind.

Well either way, if a shoujo targeted series can be enjoyed by someone like me, then they still did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom