• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who is the best anime mom?

200.gif

Regiruler

Full ratings list:

DB Super: 918 (up from 801)
DBZ Kai: 851 (up from 721)
Jojo: 702 (up from 638)
Tokyo Ghoul: 664 (up from 598)
HxH: 574 (down from 584)
Lupin 3rd: 469 (down from 475)
Shippuden: 453 (down from 461)

So HxH & later got very slight drops (as in, 10k or less), but damn at that increase for Super.
Ratings increase from last week was to be expected as people adjust to the new schedule.

Full ratings list:

DB Super: 918 (up from 801)
DBZ Kai: 851 (up from 721)
Jojo: 702 (up from 638)
Tokyo Ghoul: 664 (up from 598)
HxH: 574 (down from 584)
Lupin 3rd: 469 (down from 475)
Shippuden: 453 (down from 461)

So HxH & later got very slight drops (as in, 10k or less), but damn at that increase for Super.

Ratings are slightly better but still underwhelming

Except he looked nothing like that, even in official art at the time.

Close enough!

Plus, I'm mainly referring to the tone/attitude being put out there.

Red as originally depicted when Pokémon still had its edge, the OG art works, the original Adventures stuff, was someone who came here to win.

I love Sugimori's early art so much.

Also, looking through my retro Pokémon art collection, reminded me how sad I am we never got the original "Blue" (Female player character) in Gen 1.

Such a better design than Leaf, who they tried to replace her with.

At least she lived through Adventures.

...man, Pokémon used to be so cool, before it was incredibly successful, safe, and managed.

Morlas

Close enough!

Plus, I'm mainly referring to the tone/attitude being put out there.

Red as originally depicted when Pokémon still had its edge, the OG art works, the original Adventures stuff, was someone who came here to win.

I love Sugimori's early art so much.

Also, looking through my retro Pokémon art collection, reminded me how sad I am we never got the original "Blue" (Female player character) in Gen 1.

...man, Pokémon used to be so cool, before it was incredibly successful, safe, and managed.

...i still like modern pokemon

cntr

Banned
I might've accepted "safe" a few generations ago, but nowadays? No way. Modern Pokemon is so crazy that it has full-on JRPG plots now.

It's great.
And Genwunners suck.

Game Freak started as an indie magazine published by people who liked playing games, and Pokémon was a singular person's creative vision, shaped by their life experiences and media interests.

I just prefer that to a massive machine using focus testing and demographic market analysis to wring every penny out of the product/commodity by casting the widest net of blandness to please the most people.

It's that nebulous "games as art" concept, which for me means a kind of indie spirit, where you can tell that a specific small group (count on you hands) of real people made the game for a reason beyond the profit.

...and don't get me started on the profit the franchise brings in vs how little investment they do in bringing in competent people to expand the scope of the games.

But there are already other threads for me to complain about the series, so I'll stop the off-topic.

That design they made for Blue.

tumblr_oqmnolYllc1uzemv1o2_400.png

cntr

Banned
Yeah, modern Pokemon, a series so safe and predictable that they, among other things, released a game where you couldn't catch any old Pokemon until you finished the game, had a major antagonist who questioned whether Pokemon fighting was morally right, and whose most recent game threw out much of the traditional structure alongside a focus on a serious JRPG plot.

Totally safe and predictable.

Seriously dude, you might not like the modern games, but calling it safe is just nonsense. The original generations were safer than the stuff we're getting now.

tbh i look at Stand Proud like i do the first Jojo OP

as long as Stand Proud has the opening with the guitars and maybe the ending also with the guitars, whatever.

just like how i thought the first Jojo OP was fine as long as it had that "JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" scream

cntr

Banned
Would help if the only Ghost types in the game weren't also part poison.

Or that Bug pokemon didn't suck ass.

It's even worse than that, there's only two damaging ghost moves in Gen 1, and one of them is fixed damage. And the other one is pretty crap, especially with that combined Special stat.

a game where you couldn't catch any old Pokemon until you finished the game

Which was great, in BW, which was years ago.

a major antagonist who questioned whether Pokemon fighting was morally right

But there's nothing to do with that moral question except to say "yes it is" because that's the only gameplay method you have to interact with the world and characters, so that's the only thing you can answer that question with.

And i though it was always a flawed move to question the entire premise of you franchise like that, and it come of as kind of hypocritical to call out your core defining mechanics like that.

Like in the first movie

and whose most recent game threw out much of the traditional structure alongside a focus on a serious JRPG plot

The structure change was wool over the eyes, instead of fighting trainers inside the gym while doing the gym puzzle, you fought wild Pokémon inside the trial zone while doing the trial fetch quest, and instead of the gym leader's ace in the hole, you fought a wild boss, but you still were on a quest to collect a number of shiny trinkets from the ordained strong trainers to progress past arbitrary and intelligence insulting (looking for items with my Stoutland, Tauros in the road) progress blockers on an incredibly linear path.

And the serious JRPG plot is a detriment to the games when the characters and dialogue have to accommodate for children. Tons of insipid exposition (unvoiced, while other 3DS titles like Bravely Default manage to include this and an autoplay feature so you don't have to be constantly pressing confirm) interrupting your gameplay, your character has no agency and is only a tool to advance Lillie's story without her doing battles herself, and you don't even get to fight
merged Lusamine
as an actual battle.

When I said safe I meant the artstyle being less sketchy and more cute, since the whole discussion was sparked over artwork/designs.

Game structure wise I want the first game's premise over plot and gyms/league structure, just don't force me into a linear set order of places to go, let me actually explore and have an adventure.

The games from a battle perspective have gotten better over time, Gen 1 battles have a ton of problems.
Absolutely, I agree with that.

Jarate

Banned
I stopped playing pokemon after gold & silver

THey were always games where they were either very average jrpgs, or if you put the massive amount of time into it, the grindiest competitive game out there. Both of those things have never really interested me all that much.

The art style in the most recent games is really good, I prefer the gen 1 art they used to have (although the sprites were awful)

I think most people are upset because Pokemon is definitely not a very ambitious game series. It took them a bajillion games to get to the most recent "shakeup". People like their games to be ambitious, it's why people are upset with the new Valve TCG they announced.

But then again, im not really a fan of the series all that much.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I stopped after Gold/Silver/Crystal because I had all 3 & I think even kid me got burnt out on "hey, so now you gotta recollect all the Pokemon, but now there's even more" & now there's just waaaaaay too many to the point that why should I even bother with certain Pokemon when I should only get the strongest ones?

I don't mind the spin-offs, but I can't bring myself to get back into the main games anymroe.

I think most people are upset because Pokemon is definitely not a very ambitious game series. It took them a bajillion games to get to the most recent "shakeup". People like their games to be ambitious, it's why people are upset with the new Valve TCG they announced.

200.gif

The same way I was upset about how non-ambitious and formulaic/template-y Zelda was for so many years.

Except they did something about that series and were rewarded in success and positive reaction.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't bring myself to continue BotW because the world is just too damn big & aimless. There's such a thing to me as too MUCH freedom in a game, & this is a good example.

Heck, it's partly why that, despite the fact that Minecraft is the more creative & possibly better game, I kind of prefer Dragon Quest Builders because there's a drive for me to actually make things & such. If you just plop me into a world/game with no end goal or drive, I just get bored because I feel no desire to continue if it means nothing.

"But BotW has one! Clear the 4 main dungeons & defeat Ganon!"

But you have to find them & I keep getting sidetracked by so much stuff, I forget about doing the actual main game, along side the major map size which just feels more like a chore to explore than actually being fun. Plus there's minor stuff like inventory management, dealing with weapon breaking, rain, etc. that also weight it down.

If Nintendo can fix some stuff & downsize the map/stuff to do to make quality over quantity, then maybe it'll click better for me, but at least FF15, another game with a rather big map, still helped me figure out where to go & made it easy to see what I should do next.....aside from "damn it, which location had which monster quest again???"

Morlas

I can't bring myself to continue BotW because the world is just too damn big & aimless. There's such a thing to me as too MUCH freedom in a game, & this is a good example.

Heck, it's partly why that, despite the fact that Minecraft is the more creative & possibly better game, I kind of prefer Dragon Quest Builders because there's a drive for me to actually make things & such. If you just plop me into a world/game with no end goal or drive, I just get bored because I feel no desire to continue if it means nothing.

But you have to find them & I keep getting sidetracked by so much stuff, I forget about doing the actual main game, along side the major map size which just feels more like a chore to explore than actually being fun. Plus there's minor stuff like inventory management, dealing with weapon breaking, rain, etc. that also weight it down.

If Nintendo can fix some stuff & downsize the map/stuff to do to make quality over quantity, then maybe it'll click better for me, but at least FF15, another game with a rather big map, still helped me figure out where to go & made it easy to see what I should do next.....aside from "damn it, which location had which monster quest again???"
I can see where you're coming from, but too much freedom is probably gonna vary from person to person, for me it's the perfect amount of freedom, where I can decide to just go do the main quest stuff, or I can just do whatever the hell i want.

Raxus

There are breakdowns to the gameplay to BotW and why it works. That being said it is a huge departure for the series and not for everyone. I for one welcome our new Link's Quest overlords. The speedrun vids and the multiple solutions and creativity I still coming from players really helps things too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can see where you're coming from, but too much freedom is probably gonna vary from person to person, for me it's the perfect amount of freedom, where I can decide to just go do the main quest stuff, or I can just do whatever the hell i want.
Oh absolutely, I completely understand, which is why I used the Minecraft & DQ Builders comparison, because I understand it's just the type of taste I've developed over the years. It's also why I brought up FF15 since there was still a ton of sidequests to do, but the game made it easy for me to know where they were & how to get there (for the most part). Sure, the map got clustered with icons at times, but at least you could customize what you wanted to see.

The oly thing I want from new Zelda game is better and more dungeons. The 4 beats were fun but tiny.
This too. I cleared one of the dungeons (the Zora related one) & it was fine, but not really "fun", especially when I felt like I had to glitch myself to reach one of the switches. Gimme a smaller world with more dungeons along with a better sense of direction & I think that'd fix some of my complaints.

Not saying it should go back to the traditional formula, just maybe a small "maybe this is something you should go" or "try going here" push for people who don't know what to do next. Make it something optional so those who want that freedom can keep it while helping those who might need some help deciding what they should focus on next.

Let me put it this way (hopefully this'll make sense): it's similar to why I haven't signed up for something like Netflix or Crunchyroll. I sign up, I see all the shows I want to watch, put them in a queue, but then realize just how many I added. I try to decide which show I want to watch, but then I feel like I'm spending more time/energy on how I want to relax compared to just relaxing because I'm overwhelmed by how many shows I can watch, then decide it's just easier to not choose & do something else.

Edit: & I should probably mention that I don't think BotW is a bad game, far from it. I absolutely see why people love this & why it's going to be a major contender for GOTY discussions. It's just that after 30ish hours, the novelty wore out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom