• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My phone has been weird lately, I'll plug it in and it won't really charge properly. I think I either need a new charging cable or a new battery for the phone.

Also, the issue isn't that they don't have big moments, but they have no small moments either. A good character-based story elaborates characters and moves arcs along in the background, so it means something when their big moment comes together. That's how Fullmetal Alchemist and My Hero Academia work, for example.

In Shippuden, the characters don't get moments like that. So when they do get a big moment, it comes off false, since they've never gotten the required depth or complexity; Kishimoto has to resort to formula and cliché to fill stuff in.

It's weird, since the original Naruto did it right. Not very well, but it still did. But it's just dropped as a concept in Shippuden, aside from a few characters like Shikamaru, and rarely.

It's an issue of structure and not following the rules he set out for himself in the opening. Part one operated in a set format, team gets mission, team goes off to complete mission, stuff happens, mission is complete. The general plot of each arc was derived from said mission but the individual characters still brought their subplots along with them. As a result while Naruto was always the focus, the rest of the arc changed alongside the characters that were brought along.

When the series dropped this structure it picked up another, essentially mirroring Naruto and Sauske's plots, which pushed everyone else out to the side as in a series like that there's not a whole lot of room for extra characters. So instead of focusing on the individual mission and the characters on it, the focus is split between Naruto and Sauske. The missions still exist to some extent, but the advancement of Sauske to secondary protagonist eats up the real estate that would be used to build up the rest of the supporting cast.

A little something for Man God:

tumblr_oue0b2Ldks1r1uq0jo1_500.gif

BBboy20

Also, the issue isn't that they don't have big moments, but they have no small moments either. A good character-based story elaborates characters and moves arcs along in the background, so it means something when their big moment comes together. That's how Fullmetal Alchemist and My Hero Academia work, for example.

In Shippuden, the characters don't get moments like that. So when they do get a big moment, it comes off false, since they've never gotten the required depth or complexity; Kishimoto has to resort to formula and cliché to fill stuff in.

It's weird, since the original Naruto did it right. Not very well, but it still did. But it's just dropped as a concept in Shippuden, aside from a few characters like Shikamaru, and rarely.
Which is why the final episode of Yorknew City got away with it's lighting speed pacing. Months of build up paying off and all of it making you giving a shit about it all. And why the corresponding Tokyo Ghoul continues to fail.

I know some of you all like this arc, but in general Kishimoto's idea to write the Pain arc around the political state of the Naruto world when he's such such a shit job establishing the larger world in the first place is ABSOLUTELY BONKERS. Like, dude, you couldn't have thought this was okay.

caliph95

I know some of you all like this arc, but in general Kishimoto's idea to write the Pain arc around the political state of the Naruto world when he's such such a shit job establishing the larger world in the first place is ABSOLUTELY BONKERS. Like, dude, you couldn't have thought this was okay.
Basically we know little about the different villages

Pain should have been the power ceiling honestly

cntr

Banned
Yeah, the Pain arc is fun because the execution was fun. That's not a thing in Pierrot's adaptation, so all you're left with is...politics and Pain. Yeah, nah.

Man, early Naruto's teasing of the bigger picture and world was so interesting. Naruto's world could've easily become as imaginative as One Piece, but Kishimoto literally wasted all of it.

Heck, remember the Naruto one-shot? The one that predated the series? Naruto rode a scooter around a weird modern-ancient hybrid ninja city, Gintama-style. Even that's more interesting than what we got.

cntr

Banned
podcast stuff:

I always assumed that Dragonball worked on Buddhism rules and that people who don't go to hell just reincarnate after they die. Other World is just where people who haven't moved on stay, like a purgatory.

Grexeno

TOONAMI RATINGS:

Dragonball Super (8:30) ; 8,000,000,000

Dragonball Super (11) ; 1
Kai ; 1
JoJo ; 0
Tokyo Ghoul ; 993
Hunter x Hunter ; 0
Lupin ; 0
Shippuden ; 300,000
GITS ; I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yo where dem ratings at?
DBZ Kai: 851 (up from 721)
Jojo: 702 (up from 638)
Tokyo Ghoul: 664 (up from 598)
Lupin 3rd: 469 (down from 475)

Everything but Lupin (which is only barely less) got better ratings than last week at the moment. Waiting for Programming Insider to post the rest.

& Super at 8:30 got 742.

cntr

Banned
It has a kind of permadeath where if you die too much, it erases your save. Maybe. Who knows. It might be more complicated than that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It has a kind of permadeath where if you die too much, it erases your save. Maybe. Who knows. It might be more complicated than that.

So long as it's not Dark Souls hard it should be fine. I mean, people love hardcore mode in Diablo and it's basically the same thing.

caliph95

Oh yeah that I hope the game isn't particularly difficult and since I suck I can see myself getting my saves erased

Also I don't see the point

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Full ratings list:

DB Super: 918 (up from 801)
HxH: 574 (down from 584)
Shippuden: 453 (down from 461)

So HxH & later got very slight drops (as in, 10k or less), but damn at that increase for Super.

Full ratings list:

DB Super: 918 (up from 801)
HxH: 574 (down from 584)
Shippuden: 453 (down from 461)

So HxH & later got very slight drops (as in, 10k or less), but damn at that increase for Super.
Do people really watch Tokyo Ghoul or do they just smoke pot while it's on TV?

caliph95

Hunter x hunter 61
Little girl-
biscuit
: I see so that's why the friendip and innocent of two young boys is such a beautiful th8,it would be so much fun to ruin it

I guess she's a reverse DTL

Damn, people just were not down for the Resurrection F arc. I'm actually curious if more viewers will be tuning in for the arc after this one. I'm not a fan of it myself, but I no a lot of people like it.

Do people really watch Tokyo Ghoul or do they just smoke pot while it's on TV?

I shit post on here and just have it playing in the background lol

cntr

Banned
It was a bad arc and a recap of the movie. So of course people are going to start tuning in more for the original material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom