• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk all we know she has twin jokerz grandaughters and i think she's raising them so her kids are dead i guess.

Also Dick grayson hates bruce because remember the best scene in KJ and runs i think a gymnast school
I actually have never seen the Killing Joke. Good for Dick though I've always liked him.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think Unicorn works better as a solo watch if you actually grew up with the subject matter. I have seen so much UC Gundam that I was fine with it.
& I think that's the main problem, a majority of us (& I bet a majority of the average Toonami viewers) had little to no knowledge of the UC Gundam series, so Unicorn doesn't work as a diving-in point/stand alone show. If you've actually kept up with the UC shows, I would imagine Unicorn having more meaning to you (which it does, & nothing wrong with that), but to those who didn't, so much is just made-up jargon that you start to just block it out because they don't explain it for the uninformed.

IBO had its fair share of problems, but at least you could, for the most part, follow along with what was going on because it was meant to be its own stand alone show & not a continuation of something that's been running for DECADES with continuity that ties each series together.

Though yes, I do agree it probably worked better as a solo watch in order to keep track of everything that's being said compared to splitting your attention between the show and posting & as OVAs instead of splitting it up into shorter chunks with abrupt endings.

I will give credit again that Unicorn was made with a lot of competence with its presentation, but it seems it was made for fans in mind, not newcomers.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Mr. Freeze got the short end of the stick through out the DCAU but then again Batman the Animated Series made him the villain he is today instead of a gimmicky threat of the week.

caliph95

Livin' on the edge,
Figthing crime,
Spinning webs
Swinging from the highest ledge,
He can leap above our heads

Ahhh ahh ahhh ah ahhh.
Ahhh ahh ahhh ah ahhh ah.

caliph95

I actually have never seen the Killing Joke. Good for Dick though I've always liked him.
tumblr_oavedwoV7P1vnq1cro1_500.gif

giphy.gif

cntr

Banned
I will say that while Unicorn's a lot less offensive in OVA format, I didn't like the story much. The UC doesn't have the best plot, but Unicorn took it in an exceptionally dumb direction...which is why pretty much everything UC that comes after pretty much ignores it.

Animation's top notch though, and the fights are good, and that's the real reason everybody likes it. Giant robots are better than space politics.

...man, I really want a high-budget Gundam with IBO's fighting style. Unicorn and most other Gundam lean too hard into beam-spam and mecha instantly exploding. IBO's style of having Mikazuki whack people with halberds and wrenches is way more fun, almost rocket-punch tier.

& I think that's the main problem, a majority of us (& I bet a majority of the average Toonami viewers) had little to no knowledge of the UC Gundam series, so Unicorn doesn't work as a diving-in point/stand alone show. If you've actually kept up with the UC shows, I would imagine Unicorn having more meaning to you (which it does, & nothing wrong with that), but to those who didn't, so much is just made-up jargon that you start to just block it out because they don't explain it for the uninformed.

IBO had its fair share of problems, but at least you could, for the most part, follow along with what was going on because it was meant to be its own stand alone show & not a continuation of something that's been running for DECADES with continuity that ties each series together.

Though yes, I do agree it probably worked better as a solo watch in order to keep track of everything that's being said compared to splitting your attention between the show and posting & as OVAs instead of splitting it up into shorter chunks with abrupt endings.

I will give credit again that Unicorn was made with a lot of competence with its presentation, but it seems it was made for fans in mind, not newcomers.
Yeah Unicorn was the last thing Toonami should have put on. They should really just stick to AU shows and be done with it.
"Fuck you Bruce, I'm going to Bludhaven."

cntr

Banned
They might be making a high-budget remake of the first Gundam (or more precisely, adapting its manga remake, Gundam: The Origin), which would probably be the best UC show to get because...it's the first one.

Who knows, though.

HStallion

They might be making a high-budget remake of the first Gundam (or more precisely, adapting its manga remake, Gundam: The Origin), which would probably be the best UC show to get because...it's the first one.

Who knows, though.

Well it wouldn't have any New Type bull shit... well it could but ugh hopefully they don't retcon that in.

cntr

Banned
Well it wouldn't have any New Type bull shit... well it could but ugh hopefully they don't retcon that in.
It would actually have newtype bullshit since it introduced newtype bullshit in the first place, but the manga rewrites a lot of it, and a lot of everything else, to make a lot more sense.

BBboy20

Unicorn pretty much relied on lore to make you give a shit about anything. Your background can be confusing as fuck but as so long your presented fiction is compelling, you might get away with it.

No one or anything in that show turned out that way.

HStallion

It would actually have newtype bullshit since it introduced newtype bullshit in the first place, but the manga rewrites a lot of it, and a lot of everything else, to make a lot more sense.

Its been a while since I watch the original Gundam series but I don't honestly remember any New Type nonsense.

I've seen enough of UC to get the references in Unicorn and I still think it was terrible. It's bad at communicating information, it rushes most of its storylines, its characters are almost uniformly thin and/or obnonxious, and ideologically it's full of shit - in the context of the story, the themes it's trying to push are just godddamn stupid.

There is definitely something to be said for not watching it in a group late at night spread out over a week like this, but I don't think that fixes most of these issues.

cntr

Banned
Yeah no, it makes it a lot easier to ignore, but it doesn't fix them.

Gundam is stupid in general, but the stories are normally a lot more coherent and understandable than Unicorn's. Especially before Wing and SEED.

HStallion

Man I need to rewatch those old Gundam shows. I remember watching them after I watched Gundam Wing on Toonami of all places. That was when I started downloading anime on my weak ass 56k connection which lead to Neon Genesis Evangelion. I wasn't the same afterwards.

Raxus

Livin' on the edge,
Figthing crime,
Spinning webs
Swinging from the highest ledge,
He can leap above our heads

Ahhh ahh ahhh ah ahhh.
Ahhh ahh ahhh ah ahhh ah.
I wonder with all the fighting about the best Spiderman nobody ever brings up Spectacular. Still salty about how dirty they did that show.

Morlas

I wish Cn programming actually gave shows a chance instead of pushing anything remotely actiony off to the saturday morning deadzone

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I see Prime Day has Samurai Champloo on BD for only $20. Other deals will include Akira 25th Ann., Eva 2.22, Steins;Gate The Movie, & Wolf Children.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I saw almost no game deals that interested me, & the one I might've cared about (Fate/Extella) didn't go cheap enough.

I saw some tempting price errors, but I got the feeling I should save my money for the abundance of fall games, especially for Sept.

cntr

Banned
Haven't really been playing games much lately, mostly Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne. Might replay and 100% VA-11 HALL-A sometime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sees KH 1.5 + 2.5 & 2.8 for $25 total*

Ugh, That's basically 5 games total, but I doubt I'd ever find the time to actually play them. Only tempted because of my friend to which I could let him borrow them.

Edit: HOLY CRAP, Dragon Quest Builders for $13, might as well jump on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom