• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Blue Exorcist? I imagine he must like the plot of "beating satan" and people quotin' bible verses.

...Speaking of which, it seems in EU, you can buy the manga on your 3DS....I had no idea you could do that.

789shadow

Banned
I believe we are know intentionally going as off-topic as possible, lol.

X-Men was great. Although

****X-Men DOFP spoilers****

It is essentially a movie made to wipe The Last Stand from existence. Also, the only reason Quicksilver didn't go to Paris was because he would have solved the plot in 5 seconds.

****X-Men DOFP spoilers****

Man God

Non-Canon Member
http://fourjobfiesta.com/

7MwhI0D.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Marvel unfortunately is just as bad if not worse at making new animated shows to go along with the newest movie, though they do have a bit of a leeway with X-Men/FF/Spider-Man because they don't control their cinematic fates but can do whatever they want with an animated version.

TheChits

Marvel unfortunately is just as bad if not worse at making new animated shows to go along with the newest movie, though they do have a bit of a leeway with X-Men/FF/Spider-Man because they don't control their cinematic fates but can do whatever they want with an animated version.

I still can't believe they canned Earth's Mightiest Heroes. ;_;

Man God

Non-Canon Member
By far my favourite X-Men version.

It also shares a similar cast to Ocean DBZ and InuYasha, most notably, LORD SESSHOMARU is Professor X and Apocalypse.

EDIT: Oh Man God beat me to it.

Who else is in it? Miroku is...Cyclops, right? I guarantee Koga was somebody.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*sees thread about new Tenchi Muyo* Uh oh
*five minute shorts* Phew, move along nothing to see here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sees thread about new Tenchi Muyo* Uh oh
*five minute shorts* Phew, move along nothing to see here.
At least it'll be easy to watch through them all?

& then watch there be episodes based on GXP MWAHAHAHAHAHAH

BatDan

What's the consensus on the new MAU?
That's Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH.

I hear they all share the same characters and continuity.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i should watch War on Geminar at some point. i heard it was awful.
Is it Toonami potential material? I mean, if we somehow got GXP, we might get that since it's the newest one & from 2009, so it wouldn't be that old.

...though seeing as each episode is 45 minutes long, it'd take up an hour time slot, which I don't think would work unless it was at around 2 or 3 AM.

Is it Toonami potential material? I mean, if we somehow got GXP, we might get that since it's the newest one & from 2009, so it wouldn't be that old.

...though seeing as each episode is 45 minutes long, it'd take up an hour time slot, which I don't think would work unless it was at around 2 or 3 AM.

i'd prefer they get Tenchi Universe since i'm sure one of the main complaints about GXP (besides the part where it is mind-bogglingly terrible) was that it didn't have any of the old characters except in one episode

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i'd prefer they get Tenchi Universe since i'm sure one of the main complaints about GXP (besides the part where it is mind-bogglingly terrible) was that it didn't have any of the old characters except in one episode
I wouldn't call it a complaint, but I do remember being confused since I never saw any of the other Tenchi stuff, yet knew that it existed & some of the main character designs. When the episode came where we DID see them, I was all "THERE'S the characters I recall were from the Tenchi animes!".

Though seeing as Universe is from 1995, I can't help but feel that's not gonna happen. Does Toonami have a definite cut-off date? Like, nothing from before 2000 save for Cowboy Bebop (& even then, that didn't premiere in the US until 2001)? Most of the shows are mid-2000s & newer.

BatDan

I wouldn't call it a complaint, but I do remember being confused since I never saw any of the other Tenchi stuff, yet knew that it existed & some of the main character designs. When the episode came where we DID see them, I was all "THERE'S the characters I recall were from the Tenchi animes!".

Though seeing as Universe is from 1995, I can't help but feel that's not gonna happen. Does Toonami have a definite cut-off date? Like, nothing from before 2000 save for Cowboy Bebop (& even then, that didn't premiere in the US until 2001)? Most of the shows are mid-2000s & newer.

Except for One Piece which started in 1999.

i don't think there's a specific cut-off date, and i think for example they said Yu Yu Hakusho was not considered too old. i'd imagine it's a case-by-case basis (YYH is on Blu-Ray, for example, and looks fine). Tenchi Universe looks fine as well, though i think only an SD version exists. and it's certainly possible they want only HD stuff for the shows they acquire; i know both Naruto shows are in SD currently, but Naruto is incredibly popular so i can see them making an exception, and Shippuden goes HD eventually.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Except for One Piece which started in 1999.
Fair enough. Granted, they started at episode 207, which originally aired in Japan in 2004, but I'll count it, I guess.

i don't think there's a specific cut-off date, and i think for example they said Yu Yu Hakusho was not considered too old. i'd imagine it's a case-by-case basis (YYH is on Blu-Ray, for example, and looks fine). Tenchi Universe looks fine as well, though i think only an SD version exists. and it's certainly possible they want only HD stuff for the shows they acquire; i know both Naruto shows are in SD currently, but Naruto is incredibly popular so i can see them making an exception, and Shippuden goes HD eventually.
I guess it's just the really older stuff (early '90s & older), though I guess by that point, you're getting into more obscure stuff that I think they feel wouldn't do as well compared to some of the newer shows they get the rights for. I just remember them stating something among the lines of "older shows" weren't gonna be on Toonami. But perhaps that was more for "We're not gonna be an Toonami/Adult Swim nostalgia block, we wanna air different shows".

BatDan

God it will be 2024 before we get to the point we are now ;_;

The only thing the could help is airing two a week.
Especially when we get to (arc name spoilers)
Impel Down, Marineford, and Fishman Island
, when the pacing gets pretty shitty.

Outside of bebop I would think for any new acquisitions they look out for HD, and current popularity, not nostalgia or age specifically.

I guess it's just the really older stuff (early '90s & older), though I guess by that point, you're getting into more obscure stuff that I think they feel wouldn't do as well compared to some of the newer shows they get the rights for. I just remember them stating something among the lines of "older shows" weren't gonna be on Toonami. But perhaps that was more for "We're not gonna be an Toonami/Adult Swim nostalgia block, we wanna air different shows".

i mean, if i had to guess i'd say mid to late 90s with a handful of exceptions, but i think in general they'd go for a newer show over an older show. unless they ever get to the point where they have a timeslot or two devoted to older stuff, i doubt we're gonna see much of it. the only explicit example for age they've given is Ranma 1/2

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
While I'm thinking about older shows, I wouldn't mind a movie night of some older style movies (i.e Akira, which considering was from 1988 would also be one of the older stuff that's been shown). Would be sweet to see something like a Macross movie or Fist of the North Star (it's people punching villains so hard they explode, that MORE than qualifies for Toonami). Though I don't know if those would have enough name recognition compared to the shows they have now.

Outside of bebop I would think for any new acquisitions they look out for HD, and current popularity, not nostalgia or age specifically.
Yeah, pretty much this. If they do get an older show, it has to be one that they feel has enough appeal.

SykoTech

What's the consensus on the new MAU?
That's Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH.

I hear they all share the same characters and continuity.

Mediocre at best. At worst, they suck really bad. Ultimate Spider-Man in particular feels like a really poor Teen Titans clone.

They do share continuity, but Agents of SMASH has Hulk leading his own team instead of being a part of the Avengers. So it's either loose or they explain it at a later time (I stopped watching so I wouldn't know).

Just rewatch Spectacular and EMH instead.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
even in its darkest days DC has consistently been better than Marvel at its animated properties. DC has higher highs and Marvel lower lows. BtB wouldn't even be top five worst Marvel animated shows.

If anything made me more pissed at EMH and spectaculars demise it was Ultimate Spiderman (which encouraged them to can EMH and was a piss poor tween boy XTREEEEME spiderman thing)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nothing will come close to DCAU being canceled by The Batman, at least in my opinion. To go from that high to that...well, mediocre is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom