• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In small doses it's fine, like some comments about Viz acquiring Sailor Moon (which was on Toonami in the past), Amikami taking like ten posts total to talk about Kill la Kill impressions, Andrex's Durarara hyping, stuff like that. Ultimately I don't think it's pervasive enough to be a problem, and it's not totally off-topic.

Based Seda
LtNDbKz.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Are you going after Andrex's spot as Durarara mega fan?

He can't be the mega fan, he doesn't like the second half (which defines the entire series.) He was only a bandwagon fan that jumped on the series because Celty seemed "cool."

I was maybe gonna stop posting for a while, but between talking to Levyne and Seda's response there I feel I should at least say something else. I will say, I don't mind off topic discussion at all heck I am probably the person who incites the most non-gaming, non-anime related off topic talk. If that discussion continues to an extent that would be fine, of course there is wariness of going too off topic or into something that leads to heated debates, but my thought has always been "It typically takes less than a page or two for it to get less weird or on topic". Reviews and critiques of games,anime, watcha been playing, etc are all wonderful cause honestly I don't frequent GAF at all anywhere else except to maybe get a load of some weirdness or to see what the latest gaming news is. As mentioned, at the end of the day the majority of posts are about Toonami and the thread inevitably has "new material" to work with every weekend + ratings talk + critiques about the shows.
As for the pervy stuff, it just feels a bit, try hard, as much as it could be said it started due to "anime on toonami being a bit pervy and just going along with it", particularly Blue Exorcist , but when it extends into Black Lagoon and involves talking about shota/maid-figurative mother-mass murdering soldier pairings I find that hard to believe and kinda sorta obnoxious and uncomfortable. Blue Exorcist it kinda sorta makes sense even if certain pervy gags/jokes are overused but when it's kinda the whole night and for stuff thats really not "the anime was doing fan service" it's kinda...yea. But honestly it's not like I want it stopped or anything, (I just scroll past the posts or go do something else) it's more be mindful of others. As for excessive praise/vitriol I don't really care if someone likes or dislikes a show but once again it's kinda a be mindful to others thing. Its hard to feel like one can participate if you feel you'll be criticized for not going along with everyone else for not thinking Black Lagoon is the best thing ever or -insert other thing- is the worst.
I'd also like to elaborate, I was not frustrated because I absolutely *must* have Inuyasha commentary here, there are multiple ways we could do it such that we could live comment and watch through twitter or an IRC. It's that this is not the first time I've seen such behavior and actions happen in a community thread and that once again someone couldn't just go do something else for a while or let the conversation be about something a little off topic for a bit, especially when that was my method for the aforementioned things I vented about. Anyways we can drop it with the general rule being "don't be a jerk/be mindful of others".

Levyne

Banned
I think we tried an IRC channel in the past (for this thread/community specifically) but it died out due to inactivity. Did we want to try again or is there no hope for that being used or useful?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny thing is all this really pervy stuff only started during the group watch after SAO finished. People in their zest to hate on SAO took the higher moral ground and a lot of that stuff just didn't show up.

Then one day Andrex's Uncle Phil joke finally got over and presto. I think try hard is a perfect way to describe it, especially with Blue Exorcist.

The big thing before that was the waifu joke...which has sort of regained steam with BL.

Seda

Right, I'm not dwelling on the off topic stuff because it's not really a problem. This thread is much better about it than others.

It just gets a little weird occasionally, I don't know how these odd tangents are made but alas.

-

Apparently the panel video will go up tomorrow.

ckohler

Apparently the panel video will go up tomorrow.
Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to watching. Am I weird for wanting to analyze the inflection of their voices when they answered about KLK? I have a feeling the tone of their voice will give more incite into their intentions. Like, did they sorta blow off the answer, did they pander, or did they sound seriously interested?

I'd be happy with either KLK or TTGL being a part of Toonami in the future but I don't get the impression anyone asked about TTGL. The latter would be an easier fit for sure but KLK is the new hotness. I saw photos of cosplay at the con and the amount of KLK cosplay was through the roof.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We are bored.
That's Memorial Day for ya. I should hook my PS2 up & try out Dirge of Cerberus: FF7 & Mr. Mosquito that I bought at flea markets for $2 & $4 respectively.

Wanted to get a Virtual Boy and Vectrex, but those were $125 & $200.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Baloney, what's in it?

When does S2 of Durarara!! start?
From what I'm seeing, no date on when the new season premieres.

Oh yeah, also spotted at the flea market: a bunch of Shojo manga labeled as "anime books".

Tenumi

Banned
Someday I will watch Japanese Spider-man and Live-Action Sailor Moon. Someday, when I'm watching less shows. That time isn't right now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fun fact: Japanese Spider-Man is the reason Power Rangers have giant robots.
The first two Super Sentai, Goranger and JAKQ, didn't have giant robots. They were more like color-coordinated teams of Kamen Riders.
Toei & Marvel made Japanese Spider-Man, and decided to give him a giant robot. Toei liked this so much that they incorporated the idea into the third Super Sentai, Battle Fever J (which was almost a Captain America show).

By the way, look up the costumes for Battle Fever J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom