• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooler's Revenge will do less than AoT, which I'm guessing will be close to 1.5mil. 1.3mil is the safe bet, since it'd DBZ, but a non-canon and pretty bad film.

I think 1.5 is a little too optimistic, here are the ratings from the same week one year ago:

MAY 25th, 2013
12:00 Bleach 998,000
12:30 Naruto 946,000
1:00 One Piece 757,000
1:30 Soul Eater 851,000
2:00 IGPX 653,000
2:30 Eureka 7 621,000
3:00 Thundercats 684,000
3:30 Sym-Bionic Titan 744,000
4:00 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 665,000
4:30 Cowboy Bebop 644,000
5:00 Inuyasha 616,000
5:30 Inuyasha 586,000

My prediction is probably going to be way off base as well, we usually get a dip during holidays. 1.5M for AoT would be the highest rating in (new) toonami history.

daveo42

Banned
I think 1.5 is a little too optimistic, here are the ratings from the same week one year ago:

MAY 25th, 2013
12:00 Bleach 998,000
12:30 Naruto 946,000
1:00 One Piece 757,000
1:30 Soul Eater 851,000
2:00 IGPX 653,000
2:30 Eureka 7 621,000
3:00 Thundercats 684,000
3:30 Sym-Bionic Titan 744,000
4:00 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 665,000
4:30 Cowboy Bebop 644,000
5:00 Inuyasha 616,000
5:30 Inuyasha 586,000

My prediction is probably going to be way off base as well, we usually get a dip during holidays. 1.5M for AoT would be the highest rating in (new) toonami history.

You're right, holiday weekend would mean less views on Saturday night. Boo...

I'll stick with my prediction that Cooler will end up lower than AoT, but I'll have to revise down to about 1.2mil. Btw, the 1.5 was based on ep 2 ratings, which were close to that target, I just rounded up. With the holiday though, we might see some massive drop off later in the block.

Oh yes. Prepare for an amazing story with scribbles for art.

I'm fine with that, just because we'll have new HxH.

Pointing out where you can watch anime illegally is just as bad as linking it. I have to ban, sorry :/ (posts deleted)

Using similar guidelines that Dresden uses in Animegaf for consistency.
I should've warned him when I had the chance. ToonamiGaf might need some more rules...

I should've warned him when I had the chance. ToonamiGaf might need some more rules...

I think it would help if we added a brief blurb to the OP with rules for posting in this thread, or at least link to the TOS. The regulars around here know what they're doing but I worry about the rookies who wander in here..

Seda

I'm still busy at work but I wanted to quickly comment on thing a few pages back.

This Toonami thread is sort of like a community thread - a smaller group of people (compared to the main gaming page or whatever) gather to talk about a similar interest. These threads are a little more like chatrooms, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing or a good thing, it's just how it is. Sometimes non-thread-related topics come up momentarily, such as metacommentary about the forum, gaming topics, other random junk.

Considering this is a gaming website first and foremost, small diversions about gaming headlines are acceptable and I think it'd be silly to suppress all of that subject.

Other anime/cartoon network/adult swim talk is acceptable as well given how it is related to the thread subject. This thread is the closest thing to an Adult Swim / Cartoon Network OT anyway. As for other anime, there's definitely another thread for that, but I've allowed some talk in here too as it is tangentially related. In small doses it's fine, like some comments about Viz acquiring Sailor Moon (which was on Toonami in the past), Amikami taking like ten posts total to talk about Kill la Kill impressions, Andrex's Durarara hyping, stuff like that. Ultimately I don't think it's pervasive enough to be a problem, and it's not totally off-topic.

Metathread commentary is frowned up by most of the moderators, we could probably try to avoid that more. I know I'm guilty of bringing it up too. But the occasional comment relating to a current gaming event is as I said, to be expected on a gaming forum, and sometimes that is related to a gaming thread. So its not like I expect to squash that discussion altogether.

The random Mcdonalds, sitcoms, pizza, and other talk we could probably do away with, as it's not related to anything at all as part of the thread or forum.

As for Inuyasha watch, it was a show airing on Toonami that got cut off randomly and unexpectedly. Several were enjoying it (hence InuyashaGAF) and in this case I don't mind an hour spent to that group finishing up the series on their own. Likewise for people catching up on Toonami shows/episodes they missed, it's related enough to not be off topic.

As for the other watch stuff, as a weekly event for Anime with less than legal methods of watching, having a persistent conversation in here every week about that is pushing the limit of the T.O.S. and the thread topic too far.

The vast majority of the posts are totally on-topic anyway. Roughly 75% of the discussion are posts during the live airing. Like with anything live, most of the are reactions with little conversation content but that's kind of a large point of the thread. Add more %%% for actual discussion about the episodes and shows, which is also totally on topic of course. What makes this thread slightly different than other community threads is the there are new things to talk about every week. Other communities (like gamiing/franchise communities) tend to drift away from the thread subject more significantly when it starts to become stale and 'yesterday's news'.

What I'm saying is that off-topic discussion isn't really a big problem here, as I see it, especially compared to other threads. MidWeek ToonamiGAF gets a little weird and that's the one part that can be better than it is.

As for other comments earlier (Palutena had some strong words) about live watch issues, feel free to PM me if you want to share anything privately about how this thread is going (that goes for everybody). And people have in the past. Yes, bawdy/pervy jokes and waifu crap and unclephilface and taking every opportunity possible for innuendo comments annoy the hell out of me. Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't find it amusing. I don't want to be needlessly strict and say you can't make jokes ever, but be aware that other participants may not appreciate it and pushes people away from joining in.

As for excessive praise, you can't do anything about what people really really like. But remember that there will be dissenting opinions for everything. Some people may not enjoy One Piece at all. I sort of liked Samurai Seven. Tenumi (I think?) likes Beware the Batman. We have Bleach and Naruto fans. FMAB vs FMA03 is a commetary that will never end. Appreciate the disagreements and learn to disagree rather than jumping on people for their tastes or whatnot.

Palutena, I hope I never inanvertantly say anything sexist or transphobic. I don't mean to if I have but sometimes things like that need to be called out. Sometimes people come across differently than they mean to. There are a wide range genders who participate in this thread, and everyone should keep that in mind too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's no way to put this without putting it under spoiler tags despite it not really being a spoiler, but it's about Black Lagoon in about a month or so.

I expect some people to make some rather insensitive jokes about the content of the show, most of them without malice but hurtful none the less.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it would help if we added a brief blurb to the OP with rules for posting in this thread, or at least link to the TOS. The regulars around here know what they're doing but I worry about the rookies who wander in here..

That's a good idea.

-No talking about illegal streaming sites (naming or linking to them specifically)
-No untagged spoilers for shows that are on their first run through on the block
-Keep the pervy stuff to a minimum

Do we really need anything else?

EDIT: I think we should just have something like Seda's post as the #2 post in all the threads from now on.

There's no way to put this without putting it under spoiler tags despite it not really being a spoiler, but it's about Black Lagoon in about a month or so.

I expect some people to make some rather insensitive jokes about the content of the show, most of them without malice but hurtful none the less.

I'm actually caught up, but am not sure what you're referring to.

Seda

That's a good idea.

-No talking about illegal streaming sites (naming or linking to them specifically)
-No untagged spoilers for shows that are on their first run through on the block

Right, I don't want a wordy rulebook or anything. The two hard rules are:

1.) Don't point to or link illegal streaming sites.
2.) Properly tag WITH CONTEXT spoilers for anything that hasn't aired

And don't be a jerk.

Gorillaz

What I'm saying is that off-topic discussion isn't really a big problem here, as I see it, especially compared to other threads. MidWeek ToonamiGAF gets a little weird and that's the one part that can be better than it is.

The 90's page last thread was pretty great tho right

Great posts Seda!
That's a good idea.

-Something about spamming the same image, gif, or meme over and over again.
-Something about hinting
They don't bother me in particular but I can see why it can annoy people

Gorillaz

If your talking about
Hansel and Gretel arc
then yea, it will get rather interesting remarks here. I personally thought it was weak and a waste of time, maybe on rewatch it will be better.

When it comes to off topic stuff, I know that we've discussed some videos games that we've gotten, and video game deals and other stuff like that. Is that OK? Because most of the time, I miss some of that stuff.

Levyne

Banned
A wordy rulebook isn't ideal; a lot of stuff can fall under "Don't be a jerk", but sometimes it's easy to not realize that you're being insensitive without having it pointed out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also I kinda agree with Seda and after a rocky start (and awful animation throughout, some of the worst animation I've seen in 25 years of watching tv/movies) that Samurai 7 really isn't that bad.

I still can't get over the whole true samurai reflecting a death star laser though.

daveo42

Banned

I actually like how the thread is going so far because of how diverse it feels during the week and on the weekend. I know we tend to fall into some weirder stuff and the innuendo that's thrown around a lot (probably too much like you said), but I think we have a great group here overall and a wide range of stuff we end up talking about.

Personally, I think you all are a pretty great bunch of people, even though there are differences in opinion when it comes to topics both related and unrelated to Toonami. Seriously, this is the only community thread that I actively participate in and a lot of it comes down the to group itself.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why do you even watch it once, let alone four times? I don't even watch good anime eps more than twice.

Once in Japanese in an anime club.
Once when it premiered on Funimation Channel.
Once when it premiered on TOONAMI while I was still lurking this thread.
and now Once when I finally sit down and watch all of it. I've seen....a little over half of it I think because of Toonami and FC.

I actually like how the thread is going so far because of how diverse it feels during the week and on the weekend. I know we tend to fall into some weirder stuff and the innuendo that's thrown around a lot (probably too much like you said), but I think we have a great group here overall and a wide range of stuff we end up talking about.

Personally, I think you all are a pretty great bunch of people, even though there are differences in opinion when it comes to topics both related and unrelated to Toonami. Seriously, this is the only community thread that I actively participate in and a lot of it comes down the to group itself.
Yeah, I like both the live discussion and the during the week discussions. It makes this community feel open and inviting. I don't like the pervy stuff and agree that it can be done away with but the other stuff should be fine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Intruder 2 looks money.

Still waiting on that comic, though...

hDgXwan.gif

Gorillaz

I like how Meow's VA is passive aggressive about getting married soon. Like you can tell he almost doesn't want to take that step yet lol
I completely forgot about that arc. We aren't going to be making any jokes that arc, nope.

So good :lol

It works well as a Halloween style arc but it's just an eye roller. Like I said maybe yall will like it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Correct me if I'm wrong but Zatch Bell was never completely dubbed correct.
I know I'm a bit late on this, but...

Yes, they never dubbed the entire series. They stopped airing it at about episode 77 on Cartoon Network (did they ever get out of that castle?) & then on another network in Canada, stopped at 104, so that's pretty much how far they got.

I'm STILL mad that it just ended abruptly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
*goes to the wiki* I need an adult.

So did they.

I know I'm a bit late on this, but...

Yes, they never dubbed the entire series. They stopped airing it at about episode 77 on Cartoon Network (did they ever get out of that castle?) & then on another network in Canada, stopped at 104, so that's pretty much how far they got.

I'm STILL mad that it just ended abruptly.

The skipped out on adapting some of the big later arcs too. Just read the manga imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom