• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Directs are fine, and to each their own, but I prefer the atmosphere of a press conference. There's just something about seeing a mass of journalists huddled inside of an auditorium reacting in real time to announcements. It also allows for improvisation, since the show isn't pre-recorded, which gives us hilariously awkward moments. Directs are fine if you just want straight announcements but it's a lifeless event doesn't mesh with the spirit of E3, I prefer the human element (for lack of a better term) you get with a presser.
Agreed. I really wish the Smash Bros. reveal was shown publicly so we could have seen reactions from the audience. Seeing some of the fanbase reactions for stuff like that & KH3 is fun to watch just how crazy people react. At the very least, seeing the public E3 reveal for Wii Fit Trainer was rather funny. Audience groans that it's Wii Fit, laugh at Mario, Link, & Kirby doing the yoga, applause & laughter at WFT just launching all 3 of them.

Agreed. I really wish the Smash Bros. reveal was shown publicly so we could have seen reactions from the audience. Seeing some of the fanbase reactions for stuff like that & KH3 is fun to watch just how crazy people react. At the very least, seeing the public E3 reveal for Wii Fit Trainer was rather funny. Audience groans that it's Wii Fit, laugh at Mario, Link, & Kirby doing the yoga, applause & laughter at WFT just launching all 3 of them.
Same here. I vastly prefer the live conferences over the prerecorded bits. It provides incentive for me to watch the entire thing Y'know? Instead of catching the highlights later.

Sorry about missing like 90% of the block tonight. Only caught Black Lagoon which I loved BTW and then promptly fell asleep afterwards.
Part of it is I'm still on one device and commenting and watching the stream isn't exactly convenient really. So for now I just catch one or two shows and call it a day.

Nice sketches this week SAB CA. Fantastic concept as usual.

Next week...

Sogeking_movie_poster_version_by_bugonisx2.jpg

I'm indifferent, while I do like the raw emotion of a live press event I also like the quicker and to the point directs for "give me the info and footage" neogaf and twitter for me are more raw then some paid to scream journalist who get all these games free anyways

Gorillaz

it's a little more fun Raw because you can feel out the crowd there and also just how prepared they are for things like stage demos going wrong

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The final episode of Tenchi Muyo GXP is next level bonkers.

This is the second time I've seen it and it's just as crazy knowing the plot as it is not knowing it. Possibly more so.

Definitely the worst anime aired on Nu Toonami. I can't actually decide if its better than Thundercats or not. It's real god damn close.

Samurai 7 which also had its problems is Akira next to GXP.

I'm indifferent, while I do like the raw emotion of a live press event I also like the quicker and to the point directs for "give me the info and footage" neogaf and twitter for me are more raw then some paid to scream journalist who get all these games free anyways

Are you implying that all journos in the auditorium are paid for their reactions and that they aren't genuine, or just some? I mean, once again, I don't mind what a person prefers, and saying that you like pre-recorded stream footage better than a live event because it gets straight to the point without any sales bragging, cringe moments, etc makes sense; but claiming everyone in the auditorium at pressers gets paid to react to announcements is dumb (not calling you dumb, just that idea). I'm sure that there's been cases where shills are paid to clap at certain parts but making the blanket statement that everyone in there is corrupt and has no integrity seems like a reach, especially when there's no evidence to back up that claim. I'm interested in hearing your opinion because I can't tell if you think everyone is paid off or if you're saying just a few are.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Journalists are jaded and a bunch of them have to juggle the role of note taking and live tweeting while the conference is going on, making them seem preoccupied these days.

While nothing quite beats the live demonstration of Zelda or Brawl or whatever I'd trade that for a big e3 direct every year with major and mini ones throughout the year. None of the other companies come close to hyping up the rest of the year.

Plus another side effect of Direct were the awesome line of bonus Gamecenter CX episodes.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

This is the second time I've seen it and it's just as crazy knowing the plot as it is not knowing it. Possibly more so.

Definitely the worst anime aired on Nu Toonami. I can't actually decide if its better than Thundercats or not. It's real god damn close.

"How do we end our series?"
"I know! RAPE!"
"Brilliant!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"How do we end our series?"
"I know! RAPE!"
"Brilliant!"

Kidnapping, rape (with hilarious bleeps) an extra four brides because why not?

I still don't get why they didn't just throw in Mihoshi's sister and Not Ryo-Ohki to make it an even ten.

EDIT: Nothing is worse than wasted potential though and I'd take GXP's ending over T-cats any day of the week.

T-cats has better animation and voice acting, but is garbage outside of the first episode. GXP is slightly better written and made me laugh in places, plus Tenchi in Tokyo and the third part of OVA already wasted all the potential the series had so I knew it was garbage coming in. It's damn close.

LOLDSFAN

Ship ALL the girls!!!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wut? Did that really happen? Please tell that didn't happen.

It happened.
The main protagonist (who despite being really lame, somehow has tons of women wanting his dick, such is the law of harem animu) is about to get married to his main harem, when another four women show up (they were shown before a few times), kidnap him, then rape him while the entire galaxy watches. And it's all played for laughs.

Just because it's female-on-male doesn't make it okay.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've done 12 hours after Toonami before after doing the entire Midnight Run. 14 though...get yourself checked out if you still feel awful on Monday.

Seda

I once slept for about 24 hours straight after a week of getting about 2/3 hours a night (maybe less).

I was pretty delirious by the end of that.

It happened.
The main protagonist (who despite being really lame, somehow has tons of women wanting his dick, such is the law of harem animu) is about to get married to his main harem, when another four women show up (they were shown before a few times), kidnap him, then rape him while the entire galaxy watches. And it's all played for laughs.

ipIIQCutG4Mlc.gif

Good thing I didn't watch that shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sleeping that long isn't good for you either unless you are fighting something. Sleeping a day away (and I've done my share of six and seven days up in a row) basically makes you useless for another three days.

Tamanon

Banned
And I actually really liked most of the old Tenchi series.

The first Tenchi movie is outstanding. Tenchi's mom is a boss.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
And I actually really liked most of the old Tenchi series.

The first Tenchi movie is outstanding. Tenchi's mom is a boss.

Everything up until Tenchi in Tokyo is really good.

Tokyo itself isn't that bad but the drop in animation quality is astounding.

Everything produced after though, including the continuation of the original OVA is god awful.

So that's Pretty Sasami, War on Geminar, OVA Part 3, GXP.

i actually don't like the first Tenchi movie. i mean, it's ok. it doesn't do much wrong. but there's nothing really interesting about it, and there's so many missed opportunities for something better and less generic.

the second movie is creepy and terrible.

the third one is fantastic.

i think OVA 3 has its moments, but there are very few of them. it's mediocre overall, but parts of it are outright horrible.

Takashi

Good sketch dump, Revynetta would be awesome lol

AoT
Humanity is no different from vicious animals, and at an early age Eren and Mikasa learn that only the strong survive.

Bleach
Nothing but walking around debating about powers ugh. I'm assuming it will pick up soon though.

Space Dandy
Great episode; animation and music blended together in top notch fashion. Also appreciate how it manages to have a sad, meaningful ending without being angsty or pretentious.

Shippuden
Sasori was a damaged kid? Who would've guessed it? Backstory backfires, makes me hate these characters. Chiyo always has a stupid emotionless look on her face; Sakura realizes she's only useful as a puppet. I wish that cave would just collapse on all of them and be the end of that.

Blue Exorcist
I like this show, but even I know this episode was slow. Seems like next episode will pick up again. I don't mind that it's diverged at this point; as long as it doesn't end like Soul Eater, then it gets the brent rambo thumbs up.

Black Lagoon
Action anime done right. Someone mentioned that was the end of the first season and I couldn't believe it. It's gone by so quick and has been delivered so much action in those 12 eps compared to the same number by the shitshow that is Shippuden.

FMAB
Distasteful Hughes jokes aside, it was a heartfelt episode. I'm glad that the brothers are able to overcome their grief fairly quickly, without ever forgetting about Hughes of course, instead of it being a huge issue that needs to be dragged for a while.

ckohler

Attack on Titan - Hopefully Armin toughens up soon. Yes, this is traumatic. Now learn from it! Mikasa is now my favorite character. As dark as it was, I didn't mind the murder or human trafficking. It gives this otherwise fantasy story some real teeth. I thought the line about "she is what we once called 'oriental' back before humanity was a single race" very interesting. I wonder how far in the future this really takes place.

Bleach - Mostly boring episode that only served to give Ichigo a reason to agree with the Fullbringers. It didn't have to be a whole episode. Also, anti-gravity skirts. Red-haired tsun girl continues to be the best reason to watch.

Space Dandy - Skipped again this week. Trippy episode that I'd wager is an homage to the classic French sci-fi film, Fantastic Planet.

Narubore: Shippuden - Sakura's big plan to prove her ninja worth? Be someone else's puppet! I literally couldn't believe she said it and the music swelled up. Like we're supposed to go "Holy shit, this is awesome!" Ugh. This show must be embarrassing for women to watch. At least there were no pointless clone fights this time.

One Piece - Nice to see Luffy and Zoro get to be total badasses even though what they did was so ridiculous as to make me cringe. Lots of exposition. Sniper King's reveal (I knew he was coming) was more epic than I expected. Sonny Strait is the best voice actor in the series, especially when he does stuff like this.

Blue Exorcist - Suddenly... politics! :p A real let down from last week. The rest of the exwires go on a Scooby Doo adventure to find the swordsmith girl and eventually fight Budda statues for five minutes with no point or consequences. At least the episode ended on what could be a big fight next week.

Black Lagoon - Awesome episode with lots of Revy in a happy mood. Very unnerving to see her smiling all the time. The scenes with the crew getting stoned was hilarious and Chinglish was brutal with those swords. I loved how sullen, stoned Rock really spooked Revy. LOL! (Yep, her thirst is real.) I didn't care what-so-ever about the bad guys' stories, though.

Naruto - I loves me some Ninja Info Cards. :) Btw, do all those other nameless chunin not pass the tests? If so, man, they must REALLY suck if they can't pass yet younger idiots like Naruto can.

Beware the BoogieMan - As dumb as he was, a few shots of Humpty Dumpty's face were pretty creepy. Almost as creepy as watching Batman himself watching Gordon's house with binoculars. POOF! Magic castle and troops in the middle of nowhere! As much as this show dares its viewers to take it seriously, it can NOT be taken seriously. For example, "I've neutralized the explosives using a frequency from my BatSmartPhone." Yeah, right. :p

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - ;_; I never saw this episode before although I knew it had occurred. ;_; Pretty emotional and a great example of why this is one of the best anime series out there. ;_;

All in all, a step down from last week. Looking forward to next week, though.

It happened.

I never watched the ending of GXP, but holy fuck how did ToonamiGAF not burn itself down after that?

Gorillaz

tit sweat all over CIA documents

surprised that scene didn't have half of toonamigaf post uncle phil or have a heart attack

Are you implying that all journos in the auditorium are paid for their reactions and that they aren't genuine, or just some? I mean, once again, I don't mind what a person prefers, and saying that you like pre-recorded stream footage better than a live event because it gets straight to the point without any sales bragging, cringe moments, etc makes sense; but claiming everyone in the auditorium at pressers gets paid to react to announcements is dumb (not calling you dumb, just that idea). I'm sure that there's been cases where shills are paid to clap at certain parts but making the blanket statement that everyone in there is corrupt and has no integrity seems like a reach, especially when there's no evidence to back up that claim. I'm interested in hearing your opinion because I can't tell if you think everyone is paid off or if you're saying just a few are.

I know not all journalist are like that hence my comment of some, as an example watching last years live Xbox One reveal did not make it any more compelling when the obvious paid "journalist" were whooping every few minutes and the regular journalist from ign/kotaku/etc were tweeting "none of us are whooping dunno who those people are". Further when it was obvious the "live" voice commands and screen switching was fake it just made the whole event blah.

Yeah not every event is like that, and some epic moments ingrained in my mind come from live press events (13 on 360 reveal, twilight princess reveal, etc) and some hilariously awful ones (mr caffine, konami 2010, avatars shoe, etc), but I feel mostly we get a lot of boring ones that just drag mercilessly on and on which aren't exciting for hype or hilariously terrible ( the vitality sensor, wonderbook, xbox one tv tv sports tv, etc)

In the end for me its a wash, I see positives and negatives to both but I enjoy them equally. In the end amazing hype to long and boring to hilariously bad won't really matter outside of gifs and memes, if the final game is good or bad is truly important and that is often something that can be hard to judge from both a live press conference and a direct.

Takashi

I was gonna ask last night but plain forgot. I know it's a bit geared towards the male audience, but what do any female viewers think of Black Lagoon? Just curious on any thoughts. And I don't mean the unclephils or Revy thirst reactions, just the show itself.

bigkrev

I just realized that due to my rearranged schedule for E3, I need to be up at 5:30 am to be at work at 7:00 am. I'm so fucked it's not even funny

Why would it not be pre-recorded? I thought that was the whole point of not having a press conference.

It's not like it HAS to be a press conference to be a live affair. Heck, it could be something directly from their show room booth. This event is aimed directly (no pun intended) to fans, while Nintendo will hold a separate event for the press.

As for the "whooping" fans at other press conferences, the majority of those are surely employees and people paid to be there to show "excitement". Any journalist who does that should be ashamed of doing such, and certainly shouldn't call themselves one.

As for the "whooping" fans at other press conferences, the majority of those are surely employees and people paid to be there to show "excitement". Any journalist who does that should be ashamed of doing such, and certainly shouldn't call themselves one.

They should be ashamed to show their emotions? These aren't just pieces of software to a lot of people; many of us grew up with these characters over the years and identify with them, or hold some sort of emotional attachment. A friend of mind got to go to E3 last year and cheered when Sony announced their price point of $399.99, should he be embarrassed? I'm not going to tell someone else they should feel ashamed if seeing a new Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc makes them want to whoop and holler or even cry just because they are a video game journalist. Do you have anything to validate the claim that the majority of these people are paid employees or is this just an opinion being stated as a fact?

They should be ashamed to show their emotions? These aren't just pieces of software to a lot of people; many of us grew up with these characters over the years and identify with them, or hold some sort of emotional attachment. A friend of mind got to go to E3 last year and cheered when Sony announced their price point of $399.99, should he be embarrassed? I'm not going to tell someone else they should feel ashamed if seeing a new Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc makes them want to whoop and holler or even cry just because they are a video game journalist. Do you have anything to validate the claim that the majority of these people are paid employees or is this just an opinion being stated as a fact?

No, Gucci, I don't have the notarized paystubs of overtime being paid to employees for being part of the cheering section at their company's E3 events, so I will rephrase that to say that I hope the majority of cheers come from someone like that rather than someone who is covering that event as a member of the press.

(EDIT 1: I would like to note that I believe my original statement was presented as an opinion, not a fact, but whatever.)

Was that friend covering the event as press or as a member of the public? If it's the former, absolutely. Be a professional. You're there to cover the event. I know I would get pretty damn excited about learning of a new Mario, etc., but I'd keep it to myself if I was covering that event on the clock. I would have no problem with someone writing about that excitement in an opinion piece down the line, however.

EDIT 2: I would also like to add that I've been a member of the press since I graduated college. I've been to many press conferences , large and small, and every time there's been a positive response to whomever or whatever the press conference was called for, any applause/reaction comes not from the press covering, but the people/employees involved.

I learned that early on when, while in college and working at the campus radio station, one of the sports guys invited me to sit on press row during a basketball game. At the beginning, I acted like a student, and clapped and did a little cheer, and got many looks of scorn from the rest of the media there, and was politely told that was frowned upon. I learned then that a member of the press isn't there to have fun, but to work. I've kept that lesson learned to this day, and frequently choose NOT to cover something I might be personally interested in (like a sporting event) because I'd rather enjoy it as a member of the public, not as a member of the press.

No, Gucci, I don't have the notarized paystubs of overtime being paid to employees for being part of the cheering section at their company's E3 events, so I will rephrase that to say that I hope the majority of cheers come from someone like that rather than someone who is covering that event as a member of the press.

Was that friend covering the event as press or as a member of the public? If it's the former, absolutely. Be a professional. You're there to cover the event. I know I would get pretty damn excited about learning of a new Mario, etc., but I'd keep it to myself if I was covering that event on the clock. I would have no problem with someone writing about that excitement in an opinion piece down the line, however.

Not trying to be difficult but if you're going to make the claim that the majority of people in the crowd are paid shills, don't get snarky when somebody calls you out asking for evidence. There's a big difference between saying 'I feel this way because of x' and stating an opinion as fact, which is how you came off, at least to me.

My friend recently got an opportunity to work for Wikia, which is based in San Francisco, and attended as a member of the press. The atmosphere of E3 is one where it is okay for the crowd to cheer, groan, etc; it's been that way for years. You can think it's unprofessional all you want; I don't mind seeing those raw, unfiltered emotions from people who have a real, vested interest in these companies. When a story breaks that all these journalists are corrupt and taking money on the side to cheer at a press conference then I'll believe it; until then I'll just assume that it happens, but in isolated incidents.

EDIT 2: I would also like to add that I've been a member of the press since I graduated college. I've been to many press conferences , large and small, and every time there's been a positive response to whomever or whatever the press conference was called for, any applause/reaction comes not from the press covering, but the people/employees involved.

I learned that early on when, while in college and working at the campus radio station, one of the sports guys invited me to sit on press row during a basketball game. At the beginning, I acted like a student, and clapped and did a little cheer, and got many looks of scorn from the rest of the media there, and was politely told that was frowned upon. I learned then that a member of the press isn't there to have fun, but to work. I've kept that lesson learned to this day, and frequently choose NOT to cover something I might be personally interested in (like a sporting event) because I'd rather enjoy it as a member of the public, not as a member of the press.

So have you been to E3? Because that is a completely different beast as I alluded to earlier. I think there's a difference between cheering at a sporting event where two teams are clearly in direct competition with one another compared to a press conference for electronic/toy manufacturers. I guess we can just agree to disagree on this point.

I agree with mightynine the press should report the news as is then show excitement/scorn during opinion pieces later on. I have no problem if fans whoop/boo as they are actually probably paying for these games/systems with their personal money and not receive review copies for free.

Also I'd point out to mcxc perhaps part of the reason gaming journalism is so laughable is because the journalist forget they're press first fans second and instead become fans first press second. It would certainly help to remove the image that "hurr durr gaming press are paid shills" if they acted like press first and foremost

When a story breaks that all these journalists are corrupt and taking money on the side to cheer at a press conference then I'll believe it; until then I'll just assume that it happens, but in isolated incidents.

Ok, I think we're on different tracks here - that's not what I'm trying to say (and I think my edited post goes into this further). It's not about a journalist being paid to cheer, it's about being there as a journalist, you should be a professional.

The fact that you care about video games and are interested and passionate enough that you want to cover the industry as your career is great - hell, I'd love to that for a living. But you're not there for you, you're there for the public who can't go there. You're their eyes and ears. Act that way.

You want to be surprised on Twitter by the reveal price of the PS3? That's fine. Jumping up to cheer at the event? Not so much, in my opinion.

Gucci Messiah said:
So have you been to E3? Because that is a completely different beast as I alluded to earlier. I think there's a difference between cheering at a sporting event where two teams are clearly in direct competition with one another compared to a press conference for electronic/toy manufacturers. I guess we can just agree to disagree on this point.

No, I haven't been to E3 - but that shouldn't matter. We're talking about press conferences. I don't care what the event is. If you're not there on your own time out of your own pocket, you're at work. Act like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom