• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I can respect dedicated Dandy cosplay.
As can I. Speaking of fitting Dandy stuff...

tumblr_n1jkozB37v1r6oak3o1_1280.jpg

While I'd prefer this paired with his space suit, the Star-Lord mask still looks legit on Dandy.

Seda

Tsuyoshi Sekito composing Final Fantasy Explorers is almost reason enough to try that game if it comes over. I effing loved The Last Remnant's OST. Great percussion (I love percussion/piano).

Bye Andrex ;-;

Amikami

Banned
Well, it was fun. ToonamiGAF, you're the only ones I regret leaving behind. I'm taking some time off GAF, and I'm not sure for how long. It could be a month, or a year. Maybe longer.

Everything is fine, but for a couple reasons I think it'll be better for me not to post here for a while.

tumblr_n68tozNpRw1srv4plo1_1280.jpg

Later.

Waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Don't go.

tumblr_lxcqysg6ZJ1qlo2le.gif

daveo42

Banned
Well, it was fun. ToonamiGAF, you're the only ones I regret leaving behind. I'm taking some time off GAF, and I'm not sure for how long. It could be a month, or a year. Maybe longer.

Everything is fine, but for a couple reasons I think it'll be better for me not to post here for a while.

Later.

Take care man. You will definitely be missed.

LOLDSFAN

Later.

A year or longer??? D:

tumblr_mzhn9vpbHO1rbrys3o1_500.gif

Well I hope it isn't that long. Hope you'll be back real soon
in time for Durarara!! S2 only only on Toonami.

Amikami

Banned
Stay healthy Andrex. Hope to see ya sooner than later.

Had no idea we were trying to reboot Courage the Cowardly Dog. Don't know if I want that, though I love courage,
as much as it creeped me out.

ckohler

Wow. Very cool!

I don't think it technically ever aired on Toonami, but I know for sure it was an Adult Swim Action show

Death Note is now streaming in English and Japanese on Netflix
Is this show any good? I always seen it mentioned but I thought it looked kinda "meh".

Well, it was fun. ToonamiGAF, you're the only ones I regret leaving behind. I'm taking some time off GAF, and I'm not sure for how long. It could be a month, or a year. Maybe longer. Later.
Sorry to see you go. Take care!

Is this show any good? I always seen it mentioned but I thought it looked kinda "meh".

It's by the same director as Attack on Titan so it hilariously over the top and lacks any subtly whatsoever (I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT). Instead of giants noming on humans it plays out more as a crime thriller with a supernatural twist, so expect lots of intrigue and mental maneuvering. All in all you should definitely give it a chance.

Later.

No, Andrex. Don't leave us. Not like this.....:__:

fUiZghQ.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Later.

Bu-bu-but we're going to miss you ;-;

bigkrev

Way to be ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ Andrex

Hope everything is alright and works out

Azure J

I'm hardly a regular around here anymore but I hope Andrex is doing well. Not sure what's happening but just remember that we are nakama forever.

But in all seriousness take care.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Filler is still kind of a weird concept for me. I guess it's because so much anime is a direct adaptation of manga. People judge shows based on how close they get.

It feels weird because for western shows, even if they're based on an adaptation of things from other media, the creators generally just take the basic concept, locations, and characters and then put their own spin on things.

There are exceptions for certain episodes, but that's generally the way things go. I guess I'm just wondering why anime is so tightly linked with manga.

One thing I dislike is how manga purists will instantly shit on anything that isn't canon when it comes to anime. I feel like some people will go into filler with a negative outlook from the get-go and not even attempt to give it a chance; that's just ridiculous to me. I don't care if something was written by the creator as part of the overall story or stands on it's own and doesn't impact the narrative; all that matters to me is if it's entertaining or not. I can have fun and enjoy something knowing it ultimately means nothing in the long run.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
One thing I dislike is how manga purists will instantly shit on anything that isn't canon when it comes to anime. I feel like some people will go into filler with a negative outlook from the get-go and not even attempt to give it a chance; that's just ridiculous to me. I don't care if something was written by the creator as part of the overall story or stands on it's own and doesn't impact the narrative; all that matters to me is if it's entertaining or not. I can have fun and enjoy something knowing it ultimately means nothing in the long run.

I think it's because filler is usually so poorly executed and formulaic that it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the actual story that's being adapted.

When Naruto goes to the village hidden in the stars for an 8 episode arc, I should not be able to tell automatically that it's filler. filler should be fun (IE: Naruto Kakashi's mask ep) or a fleshing out of the manga events (IE: FMA Brotherhood Kimblee methodically tracking down Scar from Central all the way to Briggs), not a recap episode, not something that throws the canonincal character interactions and power hierarchy into question.

Watching early one piece now (I'm nearing hte end of alabasta), but they made an entire mini-arc after luffy got his bounty at arlong park. He ends up being chased by marines all the way into the calm belt, and while leaving the calm belt on a diverted course, he ends up meeting with a girl that can speak with animals due to the whisper whisper fruit. Cue 5-6 ep adventure.

It creates a few episodes of the marines being hot on the tail of a fresh new bounty (the largest in east blue, at that), which was somewhat lacking in the manga (but makes sense), and uses these eps to connect into a mini-filler arc.

That's good filler.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I hate the attitude as well especially when there's stuff out there like Trigun and FMA '03 that deviate from their source material successfully.

Even shows like DBZ where most of its actual anime only content (and not just super stretched episodes) are really good like Garlic Jr, Goku learning to drive, Gohan running into Mercenary Tao. Or one off Bleach filler episodes where the cast gets to be goofy, or Inuyasha which has some truly excellent comedy episodes in between its serious business story episodes.

bigkrev

This isn't just for anime fans. GoT book readers get furious at the TV show all the time, when most of the stuff they add that wasn't in the books (Arya and the Hound's buddy comedy in season 4, for example), is among the best stuff in the show.

Seda

I think filler is most problematic in long running shounen. Especially a show like One Piece that has call backs to earlier details all the time. Of course, this will never happen with filler arcs, so those sometimes feel like wastes of time. For example Nami in the recent episode mentioned something like "Usopp improved it with dials after we got back from Skypiea" when referring to her Clima-Tact, when she had used it in the filler Foxy stuff once without dials. You could argue that it can still fit in but it feels weird.

I mean, the marine base filler wasn't too bad stand-alone, but you know you'll never hear about it again ever, which - in a show as interconnected as One Piece - sticks out.

But I agree that things that spin off into a filler story entirely deserve to stand on their own merits. It's just in the case of things like Soul Eater there's a pretty clear drop in consistency around the break off point, so.....

daveo42

Banned
I usually only have issues with filler when I'm actively following the manga and it deviates so far from the source in terms of character motivations, abilities, and in some cases the intelligence level of the characters. A well written story, even though filler, can be a lot of fun. The G8 arc in OP is actually a prime example of good filler writing, while the filler between Arabasta and Skypiea was mostly boring. The Alpis arc felt the exact same way, but at least there we got a little world building with the Calm Belt.

I think filler is most problematic in long running shounen. Especially a show like One Piece that has call backs to earlier details all the time. Of course, this will never happen with filler arcs, so those sometimes feel like wastes of time. For example Nami in the recent episode mentioned something like "Usopp improved it with dials after we got back from Skypiea" when referring to her Clima-Tact, when she had used it in the filler Foxy stuff once without dials. You could argue that it can still fit in but it feels weird.

I mean, the marine base filler wasn't too bad stand-alone, but you know you'll never hear about it again ever, which - in a show as interconnected as One Piece - sticks out.

But I agree that things that spin off into a filler story entirely deserve to stand on their own merits. It's just in the case of things like Soul Eater there's a pretty clear drop in consistency around the break off point, so.....

The other major issue I have with filler is that there can't be anything new introduced or it can mess with continuity or it has to be completely removed by the end of the arc. This can make extended filler seem overly stale in a long running anime. With nothing new to be introduced and everything being wiped by the end, they do become wastes of time.

If can be well-written and/or humorous, filler can be pretty good. Most of the time it isn't. Trigun and FMA '03 are good examples of well done filler (even if FMA was a bit inconsistent in the end). Bones kind of messed up with Soul Eater though.

Really is case by case with the filler, as a whole I've not really had much of a problem with Blue Exorcist outside of a general "there is no way this can all wrap up in 8 episodes" feel. Compared to say Soul eater where the quality of writing drops off like a rock and is noticeably worse once it hits that spot and when the few remaining good parts are "adapted from the manga" it further proves that point.

I do get the general "meh don't care" when shonen like op/naruto/bleach do filler arcs because in long running series that constantly reference themselves to suddenly introduce characters and plot threads that are instantly dropped or retconned once the arc ends makes them stick out. Filler arcs also hurt the stakes because you know all the canon characters won't die or get any kind of permanent power up, its why I generally like omake fillers or what if filler over long filler arcs.

Long filler arcs also seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to budget leaving us with bad looking fights with no lasting stakes. Hard to get excited in a situation like that. If the arc is well written and animated even if filler it can still be enjoyable (see large chunks of inuyasha)

MikeMyers

Yeah filler should judged on their own merits.

What does annoy me however is when they pad out canon stuff, like the Sasori battle currently on Toonami.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Filler isn't always bad, Inuyasha has great filler and DBZ has had some pretty awesome filler--driving cars, Gohan in HS, driving cars. Really Goku and Piccolo learning to drive cars was god-tier filler.

The problem with filler can be that it ignores the central themes of the show, it can be poorly plotted out, conflict with the actual canon and there's no lasting effects. Inuyasha uses it's filler to help flesh out the characters and their relationships, Bleach does it to pad for time. Inuyasha is also padding for time, but the filler does actual work within the story.

At it's worst filler can be no better than fanfiction, while at it's best it's indistinguishable from the canon and enhances the actual story. The problem is that most filler falls within the first category, if it all fell in the second then no one would give a shit.

Pre-ratings press release. Will post the numbers as soon as they are available.

Saturday night’s TOONAMI presentations of Bleach (12 a.m.) and One Piece (1:30 a.m.) each ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among adults 18-24 & 18-34 and all targeted men. Likewise, Naruto (1 a.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adults 18-24 & 18-34 and men 18-24 & 18-34. Attack on Titans (11:30 p.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adult 18-34 and men 18-24 & 18-34. And Blue Exorcist (2 a.m.), Black Lagoon (2:30 a.m.) and Beware the Batman (3 a.m.) each ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among all targeted men 18-24, 18-34 & 18-49.

Source

I'll also leave this here

On Monday night, a new episode of the Peabody Award-winning The Boondocks (10:30 p.m.) ranked #1 in its time period on all cable among adults 18-24.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom