• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PelNobX.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Pre-ratings press release. Will post the numbers as soon as they are available.

Source

I'll also leave this here

*sees Boondocks numbers*
There's going to be a Season 5 isn't there?
Especially when I heard
the finale doesn't resolve the slavery plotline at all. Granted, it was the fifth episode produced but still...

Gorillaz

Filler is very touch and go. It depends on how strong the show runner was during the canon stuff and if the show could still work with some fluff. Most shonen, dont work well with it.

Something like BL can do it since there is no overarching story, at the moment. Im actually surprised they haven't made filler to hold off till next season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ht-the-boondocks-attack-on-titan-more/274031/

numbers so far:

Family Guy - 1,571,000
The Boondocks - 1,354,000
Black Dynamite - 1,033,000
The Boondocks - 1,042,000
Attack on Titan - 1,227,000
Bleach - 1,168,000
Space Dandy - 857,000
Naruto Shippuden - 866,000
One Piece - 856,000

worth noting that One Piece beat Shippuden in 18-49 ratings. i don't know if we've ever brought up how detrimental Black Dynamite seems to be in this thread, but yeah. this is definitely a problem. on the bright side, i'm sure the Adult Swim folks are aware of this and aren't gonna pin the blame on Toonami not doing as well as it used to. looks like Space Dandy season 2 can't come soon enough, though.

daveo42

Banned
Pre-ratings press release. Will post the numbers as soon as they are available.

Source

I'll also leave this here

Was last night's episode any good? I have pretty much given up on this season at this point and haven't seen an episode since the documentary episode with the All State guy.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ht-the-boondocks-attack-on-titan-more/274031/

numbers so far:

Attack on Titan - 1,227,000
Bleach - 1,168,000
Space Dandy - 857,000
Naruto Shippuden - 866,000
One Piece - 856,000

worth noting that One Piece beat Shippuden in 18-49 ratings

Damn that drop off at Dandy. Anything major on Saturday night keeping people away around that time? If not...I'm still sticking to the idea that people aren't interested in Repeat Dandy and it's hurting the rest of the premiers in the block.

Takashi

I think I said this Saturday, but even as someone who doesn't watch One Piece at all, that shit was hilarious.

"It's in your heart."

My thoughts exactly. Really fun episode.

Would've been really cool if the sogeking theme completely replaced the opening for that ep.

It...might have actually because this is the time of year TOONAMI ratings go up from kids getting out of school and parents not caring if they waste Saturday nights.

What does that have to do with the fact that Dandy has been getting mediocre ratings due to being on repeat and that UFC 174 was not expected to be a big pay-per-view event, nor did it bring in great numbers according to the preliminary draws? The point I, and krev (correct me if I'm wrong) are making is that One Piece didn't do anything special beating a show on repeat and that UFC can't be used as an excuse for the drop. I thought we already established that OP, as good as it is, simply isn't what most Americans want to watch.

And if you look at the averages you'll see that the event had little to no effect on Titan/Bleach

EDIT: Just to add on, there's no way in hell One Piece ever gets dropped. There's a lot of people on twitter that freak out all the time over the shows ratings but it does well enough in key demographics. One Piece is in a good spot but there's some unrealistic expectations for a show that will never be a powerhouse in the US.

Ratings are in

timthumb.php

For its entire week in Total Day (8 p.m. to 5:59 a.m.), Adult Swim is up 2 percent in total viewership (1.230 million vs. 1.209 million) and about even among Adults 18-49 (670,000 vs. 673,000) from one week earlier; the network is also down 4 percent in total viewership (1.230 million vs. 1.277 million) and down 4 percent among Adults 18-49 (670,000 vs. 696,000) from the same week one year ago (June 10-16, 2013).

SATURDAY, JUNE 14, 2014

HOUSEHOLD RATINGS AND TOTAL VIEWERS
11:30PM Attack on Titan 0.9 HH, 1.277 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.168 million viewers
12:30AM Space Dandy 0.6 HH, 857,000 viewers
1:00AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.6 HH, 866,000 viewers
1:30AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 856,000 viewers
2:00AM Blue Exorcist 0.6 HH, 800,000 viewers
2:30AM Black Lagoon 0.5 HH, 693,000 viewers
3:00AM Beware the Batman 0.6 HH, 808,000 viewers
3:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 859,000 viewers
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 671,000 viewers
4:30AM Samurai Jack 0.5 HH, 706,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.5 HH, 681,000 viewers
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.4 HH, 598,000 viewers

ADULTS 18-49
11:30PM Attack on Titan 0.5 rating, 648,000 adults 18-49
12:00AM Bleach 0.5 rating, 621,000 adults 18-49
12:30AM Space Dandy 0.3 rating, 425,000 adults 18-49
1:00AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.3 rating, 429,000 adults 18-49
1:30AM One Piece 0.3 rating, 432,000 adults 18-49
2:00AM Blue Exorcist 0.3 rating, 386,000 adults 18-49
2:30AM Black Lagoon 0.3 rating, 327,000 adults 18-49
3:00AM Beware the Batman 0.3 rating, 379,000 adults 18-49
3:30AM Naruto 0.3 rating, 396,000 adults 18-49
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.3 rating, 336,000 adults 18-49
4:30AM Samurai Jack 0.3 rating, 341,000 adults 18-49
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.3 rating, 348,000 adults 18-49
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.2 rating, 274,000 viewers

Source

mhs004

Haven't been able to watch Toonami since early last month :(.

Got a job for the summer pumping gas at a station owned by my great uncle. Every Saturday I work the late shift and I always pass out when I get home. Probably can't watch it again until college starts again.

Unless you messed up your numbers then yes. Dandy got 425k, Shippuden got 429k and One Piece got 432k in the 18-49 demo. Only Bleach and Titan beat it.

You said One Piece 'killed' everything else. I don't think drawing 3K-8K more classifies as that so I'm not sure if it was hyperbole on your part or meant to be taken literally. You're also forgetting that everything after Bleach (except SBT) did a 0.3 household rating.

EDIT: On second thought, hh doesn't really show the whole story. The point I was trying to make though was that One Piece was #1 in the key demo, but so was Shippuden, Blue Exorcist, Black Lagoon, and Beware the Batman. It didn't destroy the others, they all did well. Not sure if Dandy was #1 at 12:30AM among all targeted men 18-24/34/49, but I'd guess that it was.

Gorillaz

Batman was pretty good this week for the wrong reasons.

Lagoon is tanking like a motherfucker tho. Revy and Eda are too Tsundere for 100k

Sometimes I wish toonami would expand to weekdays, partly because the wait to watch the block with toonami gaf every Saturday is excruciating, but also because I think One Piece would absolutely thrive in that situation. I feel like the show is much better suited to air 5-6 days a week like DBZ did, and that would allow them to start from the beginning of the series without worrying about pacing issues.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I like that we have the 18-49 numbers now.

It's basically taught us that mediocre Toonami numbers = exceptional Adult Swim Action numbers.

Gorillaz

It's not that. Casual viewers saw this

tumblr_inline_n7769h8NW01qhazvy.jpg

and bailed.
Idk, People who are watching it at 230 are most likely watching this for the first time and probably didn't expect that type of storyline to happen.

I definitely think the next episode will dip because of it tho. Or maybe rise. Not sure what the overall demo is for toonami and if they are interested in seeing incest twins do some SAW like shit. Then again they were watching a shonen about giant naked people eating others, so maybe this works for them

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Idk, People who are watching it at 230 are most likely watching this for the first time and probably didn't expect that type of storyline to happen.

I definitely think the next episode will dip because of it tho. Or maybe rise. Not sure what the overall demo is for toonami and if they are interested in seeing incest twins do some SAW like shit. Then again they were watching a shonen about giant naked people eating others, so maybe this works for them

Considering SAO numbers, incest twins is exactly in the demo's interests :lol

Sometimes I wish toonami would expand to weekdays, partly because the wait to watch the block with toonami gaf every Saturday is excruciating, but also because I think One Piece would absolutely thrive in that situation. I feel like the show is much better suited to air 5-6 days a week like DBZ did, and that would allow them to start from the beginning of the series without worrying about pacing issues.

Yup, it really got screwed on almost every possible level when it came over.

Exactly, I don't think One Piece underachieves in America because of the art style, characters, or anything like that; it's because the show has been gimped from the start. First impressions are everything and 4kids absolutely destroyed any good-will Shonen Jump had built up before the anime came over in 2003. I can vividly remember watching the first episode premiere on the foxbox and thinking 'what the fuck is this shit' when I heard the VO and saw the unnecessary edits. One Piece had the potential to be as huge over as DBZ or Yu-Gi-Oh but instead the mantle of 'next big thing' got passed onto Naruto, and to a lesser extent, Bleach.

It's pretty maddening if you think about it. Adult Swim was put in a shitty position when they decided to bring it back to the block.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Exactly, I don't think One Piece underachieves in America because of the art style, characters, or anything like that; it's because the show has been gimped from the start. First impressions are everything and 4kids absolutely destroyed any goodwill Shonen Jump had built up before the anime came over in 2003. I can vividly remember watching the first episode premiere on the foxbox and thinking 'what the fuck is this shit' when I heard the voice overs and saw the unnecessary edits. One Piece had the potential to be as huge over as DBZ or Yu-Gi-Oh but instead the mantle of 'next big thing' got passed onto Bleach.

It's pretty maddening if you think about it. Adult Swim was put in a shitty position when they decided to bring it back to the block.

All that said, it hasn't been doing too badly considering it's timeslot. I think it's going to get more popular after the fights start, that seems to get the Toonami crowd to tune in. It won't hurt that there's some really great fights this arc.

Gorillaz

Considering SAO numbers, incest twins is exactly in the demo's interests :lol

Haven't seen it, I'll take your word tho lol

I do think the fact that it's only on one day a week, kills alot of things. One Piece would definitely work better as a weekday thing. Even Bleach. Stuff like Dandy works perfect as a Saturday morning cartoon vibe.

All that said, it hasn't been doing too badly considering it's timeslot. I think it's going to get more popular after the fights start, that seems to get the Toonami crowd to tune in. It won't hurt that there's some really great fights this arc.

Yeah, the raw numbers are what everyone first looks at, so some people see that and immediately head to twitter to freak out and speculate that the show will get dropped. Now, we've got an extremely informed community here (I'd say the best on the net, but of course I'm biased) that knows the 18-49 is what really matters to advertisers, and by extension, the executives at CN. One Piece is almost always #1 in that demo so there's no way in hell it will ever be dropped as long as toonami is around. Like we were discussing earlier though, I just think the series would have achieved mainstream success like Naruto or DBZ if the current dub had aired on a weekday block back during the anime boom.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, the raw numbers are what everyone first looks at, so some people see that and immediately head to twitter to freak out and speculate that the show will get dropped. Now, we've got an extremely informed community here (I'd say the best on the net, but of course I'm biased) that knows the 18-49 is what really matters to advertisers, and by extension, the executives at CN. One Piece is almost always #1 in that demo so there's no way in hell it will ever be dropped as long as toonami is around. Like we were discussing earlier though, I just think the series would have achieved mainstream success like Naruto or DBZ if the current dub had aired on a weekday block back during the anime boom.

Well, we are the best of the best of the internets.

Oh god, it would have absolutely killed it in that sort of scenario. Current dub cast, weekly airing, no shitty edits, in a perfect storm it could have wound up as big or bigger than DBZ. The way Toonami was set up back then was perfect for hanging out with friends after school and discovering shows together, which is really the best way to watch TV. I'd probably go to bed a lot earlier on Saturdays without you guys.

Poor Black Lagoon. It's a lot of fun, but tonally, it sticks out like a sore thumb with the rest of the line up and it shows in the ratings.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Poor Black Lagoon. It's a lot of fun, but tonally, it sticks out like a sore thumb with the rest of the line up and it shows in the ratings.

It deserves way more love than it's been getting. It would have fit in perfectly with Cassern, Deadman and Samurai 7.

Gorillaz

Pretty much. It's going to have an bigger tonal shift in a few episodes, which will definitely show it being the sore thumb of the block, action wise. it's going to be in freefall ratings wise.

Struggle Batman will pick up the slack

Crocodile

Looking at the ratings for Blue Exorcist and Beware the Batman vs. Black Lagoon makes me legit mad :/ I mean its not a surprising or super unexpected outcome but.......still.......... :/

I've only seen a handful of Black Lagoon episodes because I usually pass out right after Blue Exorcist, but every time I stay up to watch it ends up being the most enjoyable show of the night for me. I'm not sure why you see the drops...It can't be the dub, the voice work is impeccable. This has been happening for awhile too so it isn't a sampling error. Is it the censorship that makes people tune out? The shift to something darker in tone compared to the front end of the premieres? The timeslot? I really can't explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom