• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

I've only seen a handful of Black Lagoon episodes because I usually pass out right after Blue Exorcist, but every time I stay up to watch it ends up being the most enjoyable show of the night for me. I'm not sure why you see the drops...It can't be the dub, the voice work is impeccable. This has been happening for awhile too so it isn't a sampling error. Is it the censorship that makes people tune out? The shift to something darker in tone compared to the front end of the premieres? The timeslot? I really can't explain it.

Likely a mix of all of the above, and the fact that some people probably never gave it a chance. AoT was fresh and was hyped to death, Dandy was also fresh and was hyped with the "Watanabe" name attached, Bleach/Naruto/OP are the Big 3, and Blue Exorcist has a fair amount of people who've heard of it by now. With BL you might have casual watchers who haven't even heard of this to begin with, so they might figure it's not even worth getting invested in it, especially with how late it airs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think people underestimate just how late at night BL is. It doesn't explain why Naruto sometimes does better than it, especially on the second straight showing of the show but it really is quite late at night.

LOLDSFAN

Oh my goodness that Black Lagoon drop. It's like 100,000 people were all like NOPE and turned off their cable boxes for 30 minutes. Sorry vampire twins, no one seems to like you.

You know I'm actually surprised that AoT is doing so well. I figured most of the shonen followers would drop it due to it being so dark and depressing.

Gorillaz

I've only seen a handful of Black Lagoon episodes because I usually pass out right after Blue Exorcist, but every time I stay up to watch it ends up being the most enjoyable show of the night for me. I'm not sure why you see the drops...It can't be the dub, the voice work is impeccable. This has been happening for awhile too so it isn't a sampling error. Is it the censorship that makes people tune out? The shift to something darker in tone compared to the front end of the premieres? The timeslot? I really can't explain it.

It's a mix of all of that. Part of it being on late and another of it being a show alot maybe don't know that well.

It's weird, because like MG said, OG naruto is like an hour later and does higher ratings. It almost doesn't make sense.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's a mix of all of that. Part of it being on late and another of it being a show alot maybe don't know that well.

It's weird, because like MG said, OG naruto is like an hour later and does higher ratings. It almost doesn't make sense.

Yeah i barely knew the name before it aired on toonami >.<

I'm kind of shocked at how well AoT has been with getting a more "mainstream" audience. Even before airing on Toonami you had places like College Humor who deal with more mainstream pallets dropping references. Even my friends who don't watch anime subbed were finding the episodes to watch them. Hell my friends who don't know anything about anime beyond DBZ and Sailor Moon knew about it. It's just crazy that an anime can still reach that kind of wide audience.

bigkrev

I think people underestimate just how late at night BL is. It doesn't explain why Naruto sometimes does better than it, especially on the second straight showing of the show but it really is quite late at night.

Oddly enough, since Naruto got pushed back half an hour, there has only been one week where BL beat it (and it was only by like 3K viewers)- it's either tied or beaten it every other week.

Everything is awesome guys!

You probably made a better movie choice than I did tonight.

Folks, do not spend money to see Maleficent.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Last Tuesday-Wednesday was so good. I never expected Nintendo to show that much and I am definitely in the 99th percentile when it comes to fanboy optimism when it comes to them.

Will have to check when I get on my computer if I counted the recap episode in my toonami end dates list, I don't think I did because it's not a true episode number (its like 13.5 iirc) but glad to know we won't have to sit though it

remember how we said Black Lagoon is on really late?

https://pressroom.turner.com/us/cartoon-network/schedule/1/2014-7-27/ea

take this with a grain of salt since these schedules have been wrong before, but on 7/27....

11:30 Attack on Titan
12:00 Bleach
12:30 Space Dandy
01:00 Naruto Shippuden
01:30 One Piece
02:00 Blue Exorcist
02:30 Beware the Batman
03:00 Black Lagoon
03:30 Naruto
04:00 FMA Brotherhood
04:30 Cowboy Bebop
05:00 Star Wars: The Clone Wars
05:30 Samurai Jack

Tenumi

Banned
Doesn't Black Lagoon also coincide with the West coast feed/ Cartoon Network West airing of Attack on Titan? That could be a reason for a drop, maybe.

Raxus

With Naruto entering knee deep in the Chunin arc and Clone Wars reaching the later seasons I actually may find it much easier staying away past 3 apart from wading through the muck that is BtB.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, I don't mind Black Lagoon being that late for reruns, but I don't wanna have to try & stay awake for 30 minutes waiting for it to premiere a new episode.

https://pressroom.turner.com/us/cartoon-network/schedule/1/2014-7-27/ea

take this with a grain of salt since these schedules have been wrong before, but on 7/27....

I didn't need sleep anyways

Gorillaz

Yea Black Lagoon just got buried. People who are watching it this late at this point, toonami faithful like us or those who are really interested in it and CAN'T watch it any other time. The ratings have been the sore thumb in the lineup even over the older shit. I kind of see where they are going.

If's fucked up because if I'm right, that's when the Tokyo Abyss arc starts, so it's already starting off on a rough foot

https://pressroom.turner.com/us/cart...1/2014-7-27/ea

This actually makes a lot of sense, Samurai Jack will probably do a lot better as a lead in to CN with Clone Wars. Bebop returns to the death slot to rerun...... forever. Black Lagoon has struggled on the block and Beware the Batman has done very well better to switch them in hopes of not losing more people after Blue Exorcist.

Takashi

Damn shame about Lagoon getting moved back.

Also why does that page show that there's more adultswim programming after the Toonami block? Just a mistake?

Why do Toonami viewers seem to hate Black Lagoon?

If I had to guess its not that they hate Black Lagoon, they hate the constant censorship. Combined with how late it is and I imagine most people who haven't seen it before are just watching it uncensored online and those who have don't want to rewatch a censored product.

Crocodile

Fuck, I have to wade through BtB to get to Lagoon? Fuck you America! I guess this means I'll pretty much always miss Jack instead of usually since staying up till the end of the block is HARD.

If I had to guess its not that they hate Black Lagoon, they hate the constant censorship. Combined with how late it is and I imagine most people who haven't seen it before are just watching it uncensored online and those who have don't want to rewatch a censored product.

Who in their right mind says, "I'm enjoying this but I heard somebody say a bleep instead of a curse word. I'm out!" That line of thought makes no sense to me. Time of night and people having no taste are better reasons for ratings drops.

Gorillaz

I really think that BTB timespot will be jarring. I know the ratings are up higher but BL always felt like the soft close of the night with CN/repeats on later that night.

Any other action anime show should take it's place. BTB honestly feels like a cockblock for the block

Wasn't it up on netflix for a bit too? That might have something to do with the low ratings.

It makes me sad though, I need that pick me up after BE.

Me too B-Dubs, as much as I love Blue Exorcist, it does tend to put me to sleep and Black Lagoon is the perfect change of pace pick-me-up. I seriously can't figure out why people don't like it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
iWtkBARlwZabo.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Me too B-Dubs, as much as I love Blue Exorcist, it does tend to put me to sleep and Black Lagoon is the perfect change of pace pick-me-up. I seriously can't figure out why people don't like it.

Black Lagoon is totally a product of the 90's and Tarantino movies, it goes against the grain of modern anime to an insane degree. Modern anime is often closer to Blue Exorcist, flashy fights with some moe characters sprinkled in for good measure. Even Attack on Titan follows this basic formula, with a spoonful of giant zombies for flavor.

You'd think this would mean it would be viewed as a breath of fresh air and would be popular, but the current fanbase has been brought up to expect certain things from their anime and Black Lagoon has none of those things. Instead of a strong male MC that they can project themselves onto, they get Rock. Sure he's totally badass, but he's also an adult who has been disillusioned with the world. Often anime is wish fulfillment, an idealized world with characters who can achieve anything if they work hard enough. Black Lagoon is none of those things. Rock's a victim of a fucked up world, he has agency in his daily life but he can really do nothing to change the overall course of it. He's stuck where he is, in a garbage bin, tossed aside by the rest of the world and labelled as useless.

Then there's Revvy, who is totally awesome as shit and easily the toughest of the main characters. While we might appreciate this, the average viewer won't for exactly the same reason almost all of the player characters in video games are male. They're guys and they can't--or rather won't--relate to her at all. They're used to girls in shows being cute, useless and meek. The sort of girls they could see themselves approaching. If you tried to hit on Revvy she'd shoot your dick off.

So while being on late at night is part of the reason, perhaps a larger portion is the average viewer dislikes it for all the reasons we enjoy it. Which both makes no sense and perfect sense.

It wouldn't shock me at all if you told me that Black Lagoon's viewership skews older than the rest of the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom