• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Battle of Gods is finally coming? Niiiice.

You can thank 20th Century Fox for delaying the movie's NA release.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Didn't they have some ridiculous rights to all DB movies over here because of that shitty live action movie?

Exactly that.
In fact, the whole reason they made Evolution was so they didn't lose the rights. After the movie was critically thrashed, they just sat on them until they finally lapsed. Sounds like it finally happened since Funimation is releasing BoG.

Takao

Banned
Didn't they have some ridiculous rights to all DB movies over here because of that shitty live action movie?

We have no clue as to what Fox owns, and doesn't outside of Evolution. What we do know is that the seventeen previous movies have nothing to do with them.

Exactly that.
In fact, the whole reason they made Evolution was so they didn't lose the rights. After the movie was critically thrashed, they just sat on them until they finally lapsed. Sounds like it finally happened since Funimation is releasing BoG.

Did you not see the 20th Century Fox logo at the end of that trailer? It looks like they were part of the production committee for BoG.

Crocodile

X-Men: DOFP was a good movie :)

kayosvqs89.jpg

A bit offtopic but.........LOL

I think you're painting with a very broad brush here and don't agree in the slightest; there are a ton of things that could' have been spoiled in Bleach, especially when you take into account that everyone here has a different opinion of what constitutes as an actual spoiler. This is like me saying 'Well all they do in One Piece up until Water 7 is travel to new islands, fight, and get a new crew member, there's nothing to spoil.' Obviously One Piece is more nuanced than that and so is Bleach (although the overall narrative is clearly weaker), I feel like you're oversimplifying things. I mean heck, here's some things I can think of right off the top of my head:

-Nel turns out to be an espada
- Ulquiorra reveals that he is only the 4th Espada, despite his strength
- The real Karakura town ends up being transported to Soul Society, a replica is built for the final battle against Aizen to prevent unnecessary human casualties
- The Visord are old captains/lieutenants from soul society who were banished after Aizen turned them into hollows

I already explained my stance on inconsiderate people calling out
ginjo
as the main villain this arc the moment he appeared on screen so I won't reiterate that point. Everything else I agree with though.

You're right in that I'm greatly simplifying things but the point I'm trying to make is that Bleach lends itself to simplification more so than a lot of series. The reason I feel is due to writing which fails at building up suspense and leaving room for extended exploration that happens after the SS arc (the pinnacle of the series in the eyes of many). Lots of things "happen" but the manga (to which the anime is beholden to) does a poor job of making you care about a lot of characters or being strongly invested.

Admittedly, what constitutes a spoiler and what doesn't is subjective. Personally, what I consider to be the type of spoilers that need to be respected above all else are the type that once you known the "twist", it either lessens the impact on the event when you actually come to it (shock value), exposes the significant betrayal of expectations prematurely (betraying expectations can be good or bad depending of the "twist" and context) or that it forces you to re-evaluate all the events leading up to the event and knowing the "twist" ahead of time robs the reader/viewers of both interpretations. A good example of the later would be the fact that Ichigo's Dad is a Soul Reaper. If you recall, when Isshin and Kon (in Ichigo's body) interact before the Soul Society arc, Isshin NEVER addresses Kon as Ichigo. You think nothing of it at the time (one reading) but once you know Ichigo's Dad is a Reaper, it completely changes how you read those scenes. That's some quality and subtle foreshadowing that gives additional value to the narrative but gets lost as Bleach ages and the story progresses. Bleach past SS doesn’t have many of those sorts of plot threads. Little is well setup and few things happen that would be considered surprising if you’re a reader over the age of 12.

Let’s take a look specifically at some of the “spoilers” you pointed out

- Ulquiorra’s True Ranking: What does this actually matter? We know he’s stronger than Ichigo and most of the other Espada but there is nothing to ever suggest he is the most powerful of the Espada. It is rare for writers to introduce the most powerful of a set of ranked soldiers so early so if he was actually the strongest it might have been more surprising. Then again he did have a second form that probably ranks him way above 4th. Then again, Ichigo beats him not with any clever strategy or ingenuity but with plot armor and plot hax which means the power levels didn’t mean anything because it wasn’t actually a obstacle that had to be overcome with hard work :/ THEN AGAIN, Yammy is actually the strongest with some non-sensical, non-foreshadowed power up but all he does is beat up the JobSquad and then prompted jobs to Kenpachi and Byakuya. In the end, none of the Espada power rankings matter or make sense – they are all at whims of whatever Kubo thought would be cool the exact day/week be put pen/cursor to paper/computer screen :/ Would knowing the power rankings in advance change how you view those battles or the events leading up to them?

-Location of the Karakura Town fight: Nothing about this is particularly shocking or surprising nor does it really tie into any past events in any insignificant manner. As soon as Aizen and co. step into the town they remark that it’s fake so there is never any attempt at misdirection by the author. If like this battle took place on the Moon THAT would be something to avoid spoiling because it would be hard to logically arrive to such a location given what we know of the Bleach world and the build-up to that event would likely be spectacular. As it stands, the location of the fight is important to avoid causalities but doesn’t have any impact on how the reader enjoys the story.

-Nell = Espada: This I think is a spoiler more worthy of preserving mostly just for shock value. It’s kind of a “woah didn’t expect that moment” and I honestly feel Kubo tried to present as such with how the scenes were all framed. All that being said, in the grand scheme of things, it didn’t really amount to much. You get a smidge of her backstory and how it relates to the current 3rd, 5th and 8th Espadas but all she does is transform, job, and then we need Kenpachi to save both her and Ichigo’s butts. Afterwards, we never see nor hear from her or her friends again. They just drop out of the narrative O_O So while I think this falls under the category of spoiler I’d try to avoid…..spoiling, it’s not really that big of a deal :/

-Vizard Plotline: Yeah this ties into the Turn Back the Pendulum arc which is probably one of the best parts of Bleach post SS and fills in a good deal of Bleach worldbuilding and kind of ties into Aizen’s et al. motivations (though to be frank the motivations for the bad guys were still kind of poorly developed). I can’t really disagree here.

Overall, my point is that some spoilers are worse than others and overall Bleach has very few what I’d consider “big” spoilers. Ginjo (sp?) being a villain doesn’t count amongst those sort of spoilers (and I say this as someone who hasn’t seen this arc before). When it comes to Bleach, I think this thread has been pretty good when it comes to spoilers that could actually matter.

Been sick in the bed for the past couple of days but I'm feeling better.
Did I miss anything?

Kill La Kill dub trailer, guy in the stream said "hopefully we can get klk on Toonami" expect to pay $150-200 to own the entire series on dvd/blu ray

Dbz Battle of gods licensed in English, coming to theaters for a limited run in august, expect it on toonami eventually

Levyne

Banned
Has anyone here played Payday 2? It's free this weekend and I was wondering if it would be fun to do some 4 player coop before Toonami tomorrow. But having to download it might be too big a deterrent , also maybe there's simply no interest. I dunno. Just throwing out an idea.

Man, i know Japan has a much stronger connection between Characters and Seiyuu than here, but are they seriously still using Nozawa to voice Goku. I mean c'mon now, it was fine when she was voicing him as a boy but he's a full blown adult male now.

Tenumi

Banned
Man, i know Japan has a much stronger connection between Characters and Seiyuu than here, but are they seriously still using Nozawa to voice Goku. I mean c'mon now, it was fine when she was voicing him as a boy but he's a full blown adult male now.

Isn't Goku, like, 40 now?

Takao

Banned

Nozawa will be voicing Goku for as long as she can. You don't drop nearly 30 years of consistency.

LOLDSFAN

Kill La Kill dub trailer, guy in the stream said "hopefully we can get klk on Toonami" expect to pay $150-200 to own the entire series on dvd/blu ray

Dbz Battle of gods licensed in English, coming to theaters for a limited run in august, expect it on toonami eventually

Most important part: the hostile takeover of BleachGAF.

Toriyama is actually the one who wanted her to keep voicing Goku, since it fits his "man-child personality".

But even man-children go through puberty when they get older.

A good example of the later would be the fact that Ichigo's Dad is a Soul Reaper. If you recall, when Isshin and Kon (in Ichigo's body) interact before the Soul Society arc, Isshin NEVER addresses Kon as Ichigo. You think nothing of it at the time (one reading) but once you know Ichigo's Dad is a Reaper, it completely changes how you read those scenes. That's some quality and subtle foreshadowing that gives additional value to the narrative but gets lost as Bleach ages and the story progresses.

honest question since there's a massive gap in my Bleach knowledge:

why did Ichigo's dad let his family get attacked by the Hollow at the very start of the series if he was actually a Soul Reaper?

Tamanon

Banned
honest question since there's a massive gap in my Bleach knowledge:

why did Ichigo's dad let his family get attacked by the Hollow at the very start of the series if he was actually a Soul Reaper?

It's never specifically explained, but he knows the town has their own Soul Reaper(Rukia) to handle that sort of thing without him revealing himself. Also, he was busy at the hospital at the time.

Tamanon

Banned
It's actually explained in the manga in the arc after the one airing on Toonami. The arc currently isn't animated and who knows when it will be animated/dubbed/air but spoiler warnings

Bleach manga spoilers
Ichigo's mom is actually a quincy, the hollow isn't what killer her (though it took credit for it) it was actually the quincy king taking the quincy powers back from any and all half quincy like Ichigo's mom. Its the same reason Uiryu's mother is dead.

End bleach manga spoilers

I thought he was talking about the one that attacked the Kurosaki house in the first episode. But yeah, that's the explanation for the other attack.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
while that spoiler is cool and all the question was actually about the hollow in episode 1 and not the king fisher.

EDIT: I still stand by that there are only three truly great reveals in Bleach, not that the rest are bad (you could see the Vizored, Nel, Gin's face turn a mile away)

1. Aizen coming back from the dead.
2. Ichigo's dad.
3 and the third thing which is a spoiler and won't be covered in the show until Final Act shows up.

Tamanon

Banned
while that spoiler is cool and all the question was actually about the hollow in episode 1 and not the king fisher.

EDIT: I still stand by that there are only three truly great reveals in Bleach, not that the rest are bad (you could see the Vizored, Nel, Gin's face turn a mile away)

1. Aizen coming back from the dead.
2. Ichigo's dad.
3 and the third thing which is a spoiler and won't be covered in the show until Final Act shows up.

3rd one is about
Zangetsu?
. Yah, I liked it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually basically everything involving Ichigo's
parents, both of them

That one might be good enough to be fourth. Everyone was wondering where they were going with it and it really is a cool moment.

Now to be fair I think the answer to GMN's question is in the same flashback event in the next canon manga arc, will spoiler tag regardless

Simple kind of spoilery answer

he lost his powers before Ichigo became a substitue soul reaper and didn't get them back until later

More complex spoiler answer

Ichigo's dad gave up his powers to save Ichigo's mom from being corrupted by a hollow due to her quincy blood. Ichigo's dad had no intention of becoming a soul reaper again, but then Ichigo became a substitute and like everyone else his over flowing spiritual power impacted him as well, I believe its also implied that Urahara helped him regain the rest of his powers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom