• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
CN and other expanded cable options for kids is what really did them in. Blame Nickelodeon. The thing that they aren't mentioning that hurt the crap out of them was expanded regulation that started in the late 90's about what exactly you could advertise and how you can advertise to children.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Never heard of it.

Well, in the days of analog cable, pre streaming internet this would be one of maybe 3-7 channels you'd have if you have basic cable that had kids programming on Saturday mornings.

CW is basically a merger of the fifth and sixth biggest broadcast stations of the mid to late 90's, UPN and WB so most places in the country would have an affiliate. When I was a teen they used to show all sorts of stuff on WB in the afternoons and mornings and they infamously had their own watered down version of Toonami for awhile.

CN and other expanded cable options for kids is what really did them in. Blame Nickelodeon. The thing that they aren't mentioning that hurt the crap out of them was expanded regulation that started in the late 90's about what exactly you could advertise and how you can advertise to children.

Nicktoons or CN are probably going to snag Zexal and Digimon Fusion.

Gorillaz

There was a big ass thread about the death of Saturday Morning cartoons and cartoons on network TV. It came down to Clinton and family groups throwing bills on bills on bills at networks. That's where Nick and Cartoon Network came in. Toonami didn't kill of Vortexx, it was rules and regulations from the 90's that killed it all.

I still think Toonami would be huge if it had some day time/weekday. Basically it's own network. That comes down to CN of course since they already have Boomerang. I think Toonami like yeeeeeears down the line, will.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
With the death of Vortexx, Saturday Morning blocks on network TV are essentially dead now. They had a good run, but cable channels like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and The Hub do waaaay better now.

Though Vortexx did bring us some strange stuff. Like a censored Justice League Unlimited (the guns became lasers, and they couldn't show punching), as well as the comedy gold that was Blue Popo.

bigkrev

635810-370841_blue_popo.jpg

Never forget

With the death of Vortexx, Saturday Morning blocks on network TV are essentially dead now. They had a good run, but cable channels like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and The Hub do waaaay better now.

Though Vortexx did bring us some strange stuff. Like a censored Justice League Unlimited (the guns became lasers, and they couldn't show punching), as well as the comedy gold that was Blue Popo.

I thought those censors were always present, at least the gun laser parts.

Well, it certainly can't hurt Toonami that it will apparently be the broadcast home for DBZ in the USA. If it's still got drawing power, it ought to show it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Did Shippuden ever do the filler where various people tested for the Chunin exams? Could make for a good arc, possibly even a good season.

I'm sure figuring out how Shikamaru got the nod makes it pretty easy to figure out what they want, but the other countries examinations could be fun.

I miss the fox box. Fighting Foodons, Ultimate Muscle, and Shaman King were amazing as a kid. Loved the mix of anime and western cartoons, it was a good time. Still remember One Piece's American debut back in 2003; they hyped it up hard for months both on TV and in shonen jump magazine.

Takashi

Does that gif imply BleachGAF is JobGAF
dont hurt me

What was the show on 4kids/Fox Box/Fox Kids where they had these robots fight in this big arena with circular things that spun around it? I thought it was like Medabots at first but I'm pretty sure that's not right.

MikeMyers

dont hurt me

What was the show on 4kids/Fox Box/Fox Kids where they had these robots fight in this big arena with circular things that spun around it? I thought it was like Medabots at first but I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Cubix?

Tenumi

Banned
dont hurt me

Beyblades?

So I've been wondering recently because I went to the Funi panel at the con and they showed this anime called Date Alive. It didnt get much of a response and it had a wierd premise. So I'm wondering, is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom