• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Next week you get Sailor Mercury.

Then the week after Sailor Mars.

Then eight weeks after Sailor Jupiter

Then four weeks after Sailor Venus

I could be a little off on the last two, but that's how it will go if they do 2 episodes a week.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I was just discussing this, it took way too long for the band to get together and I don't know why they made that call.

MikeMyers

The manga started in February 1992, where as the anime started in March 1992. While Ami and Rei did debut in Chapter 2 and 3 respectively, keep in mind the manga was a weekly series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The manga started in February 1992, where as the anime started in March 1992. While Ami and Rei did debut in Chapter 2 and 3 respectively, keep in mind the manga was a weekly series.

Eh, I don't think such things would have mattered, sticking to the source material was not within the interests of the anime.

MikeMyers

Ah right.

Well, every other version debuts Ami and Rei straight away too. It's just the first anime that doesn't.

tumblr_inline_n63h6nkjhi1r6uc34.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Uncut Episode 5:

Another Monday is upon us and thus another two episodes of Sailor Moon have been added to the Hulu. Episode 5 is one of a pair of of episodes that were left undubbed during the DiC era. That is a shame because this episode is actually really important in quite a few ways. Looking back on this series, one of the most stunning things is just how much time Sailor Moon has spent as a single and indeed how much time is spent actually assembling all of the Sailor Scouts. This isn't how the majority of team stories play out and indeed even Sailor Moon would adhere to team conventions in later seasons and in the manga as I understand it. So right now we get the narrative of Sailor Moon dealing with being a rookie superheroine as well as her regular human supporting cast getting focus episodes.

Indeed, Usagi's younger brother gets his day in the limelight and this episode uses it to surprisingly good effect seeing a heretofore unobserved role for our heroine and that of the big sister. It was a really nice dynamic that made her more altruistic and proactive in her goals and kept the shitter parts of her personality at bay. The main plot with the Chanela is pure monster of the week goofiness. The secondary plot is the real one of importance as this is the episode that brought Luna literally into Usagi's family and indeed the relationship between Luna and Usagi has already changed in an unexpected way. Special commendation to the battle this week for cracking the mold, more work needs to be done here, but formula cracking and added moves are already happening. Overall, this episode comes highly recommended.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Uncut Episode 6:

So on the flipside we have this episode where I completely understand why it was left on the cutting room floor the first time around. Maybe not downright insipid like Episode 4 was but this was utterly forgettable involving a one shot couple that you could not pay me to give a toss about. Also, I suspect Sailor Moon knows as much about jazz as she does about hardcore gansta rap. This episode was inoffensive but you can skip and not lose one damn thing.

MikeMyers

So right now we get the narrative of Sailor Moon dealing with being a rookie superheroine as well as her regular human supporting cast getting focus episodes.

Most of the human cast is gone by Stars, one of the reasons it is my least favourite.

Needed more of that Yuchiro effect.

MikeMyers

The best part about the first season is that Chiba Mamoru actually has a personality.

Ah, Tuxedo Kamen, his uselessness is so endearing.

I feel like the hype and momentum is going to fluxate wildly for this because it's being teased so far out; I guarantee that you'll see a bunch of people of twitter complaining about the release date/lack of footage. Maybe dropping 30 second clips every Saturday morning starting 2-3 months out from release would be a better way to generate buzz and maintain relevance. Who knows, I'm no marketing genius. That could still be an option.

bigkrev

GAF has been crazy lately. There's probably a more elegant way to word it but I'm tired.

Mario Kart 8 mass bans, Watch_Dogs piracy and everything else surrounding that game, the whole NeoGAF -> E3 thing, this is all I needed to see to know where that shooting thread has gone, and whatever the hell this is

x_x

This is my refuge

*Hides in an overturned box*

I would LOVE to see what happens to MangaGAF (and to a lesser extent, GoT-GAF and AnimeGAF) if the Watch_Dogs piracy rule was applied to them.

But yeah, its close to E3, people start to go crazy. It will pass in the summer

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would LOVE to see what happens to MangaGAF (and to a lesser extent, GoT-GAF and AnimeGAF) if the Watch_Dogs piracy rule was applied to them.

But yeah, its close to E3, people start to go crazy. It will pass in the summer

Isn't the piracy rule "If you don't admit it, or link to it, you're fine?". Is the Watch_Dogs thread different?

bigkrev

Isn't the piracy rule "If you don't admit it, or link to it, you're fine?". Is the Watch_Dogs thread different?

What is the Watch_Dogs piracy rule?

Basically, people in the thread who are complaining about PC preformance of Watch Dogs on their PCs are being required to show proof of ownership or face a ban, as the game is being very tightly controlled by Ubi regarding retail leaks, but it is up on some piracy sites right now.

Tenumi

Banned
Forget that, TokuGAF seems to have an unwritten policy that it's fine to discuss fansubs. One that probably conflicts with some rules at some point. But I'd hate to see that community desimated, it's small enough as it is.

I can't speak for MangaGAF, but AnimeGAF definitely seems to be "don't ask, don't tell, don't imply" as far as piracy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think there's always been an exception to non reviewers having pc games ridiculously early because they do occasionally end up online a few days/weeks early.\

Also happened with a couple of high profile 360 games.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Forget that, TokuGAF seems to have an unwritten policy that it's fine to discuss fansubs. One that probably conflicts with some rules at some point. But I'd hate to see that community desimated, it's small enough as it is.

I can't speak for MangaGAF, but AnimeGAF definitely seems to be "don't ask, don't tell, don't imply" as far as piracy.

Well, a lot of that is due to Toku shows not getting official releases.
Crunchyroll tried, but the actor fees were just too much.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Basically, people in the thread who are complaining about PC preformance of Watch Dogs on their PCs are being required to show proof of ownership or face a ban, as the game is being very tightly controlled by Ubi regarding retail leaks, but it is up on some piracy sites right now.

It's not even out until tomorrow! They deserve the bans. It seems fair on the mods part.

daveo42

Banned
Lets go to Mangaf and ban people from Discussing Big 3 until they are legally released in Japan

ManGAF would look like a graveyard on Wednesdays.

I definitely know that's come up in AnimeGAF before, though you shouldn't be pirating shows now because there are a ton of ways to get access to them legally same day.

Seda

Pointing out where you can watch anime illegally is just as bad as linking it. I have to ban, sorry :/ (posts deleted)

Using similar guidelines that Dresden uses in Animegaf for consistency.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This is what Viz has in International Jump

Weekly:
One Piece (one of the only ones I care about)
Toriko (one of the only ones I care about)
Naruto (crap)
Bleach (crap)
Nisekoi (never bothered, but the bits I've seen are crap)
World Trigger (mediocre)
Stealth Symphony (pretty much dead)
All You Need is Kill (it's ending next week, not meant to be on-going)
Hunter x Hunter (coming next week, but you know how this series is prone to hiatus)

Monthly:
Blue Exorcist (meh, though I still read it)
Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign (mega crap)
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (don't care)
Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V (just started this issue, don't care)

Irregular/When It's Done
One-Punch Man (another one I care about, but Viz's translation does stupid things like leave names untranslated).

I find that it's not worth subscribing to.
Bring in Gin Tama, Soma, and more Seinen series then we'll talk.

I think that's the first ban Seda has had to hand out in this thread. I feel bad for the guy but posting a link to pointing out an illegal streaming service is a big no-no, does anybody read the TOS anymore? Coupled with that spoilery AoT video, I think he (she?) had this coming...

Moving on to a new topic, I'm really interested to see how Cooler's Revenge does in the ratings tomorrow. I'm guessing it'll pull between 1.3 and 1.4 million viewers.

This is what Viz has in International Jump

Weekly:
One Piece (one of the only ones I care about)
Toriko (one of the only ones I care about)
Naruto (crap)
Bleach (crap)
Nisekoi (never bothered, but the bits I've seen are crap)
World Trigger (mediocre)
Stealth Symphony (pretty much dead)
All You Need is Kill (it's ending next week, not meant to be on-going)
Hunter x Hunter (coming next week, but you know how this series is prone to hiatus)

Monthly:
Blue Exorcist (meh, though I still read it)
Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign (mega crap)
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (don't care)
Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V (just started this issue, don't care)

Irregular/When It's Done
One-Punch Man (another one I care about, but Viz's translation does stupid things like leave names untranslated).

I find that it's not worth subscribing to.
Bring in Gin Tama, Soma, and more Seinen series then we'll talk.
Much like when I bought print Shonen Jump, I like having the option of reading more than just the stuff i'm into. That's how you get into new series, man.

daveo42

Banned
Oh man, HxH is back next week. I really hope we at least get a decent number of chapters before it goes back on hiatus.

We will probably only get like 1-2 volumes max :(

I think that's the first ban Seda has had to hand out in this thread. I feel bad for the guy but posting a link to pointing out an illegal streaming service is a big no-no, does anybody read the TOS anymore? Coupled with that spoilery AoT video, I think he (she?) had this coming...

Moving on to a new topic, I'm really interested to see how Cooler's Revenge does in the ratings tomorrow. I'm guessing it'll pull between 1.3 and 1.4 million viewers.

Some of it is common sense and the rest is the ToS. You have to know anything like fansubs tend to fall under the realm of piracy.

Cooler's Revenge will do less than AoT, which I'm guessing will be close to 1.5mil. 1.3mil is the safe bet, since it'd DBZ, but a non-canon and pretty bad film.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'm pretty sure he was making some kind of joke considering the conversation we had for the last page or two, but just went one step too far. That or he was a dummy. It's hard to tell with that kind of humor.

Whaaaat? Hell YES.

Oh yes. Prepare for an amazing story with scribbles for art.

And they'll still sell millions.

Togashi could have an entire arc of Gon and Killua playing video games and it would still sell millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom