• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I love the running gag that no one lets Usopp explain his new weapon. He actually doesnt get to until the next canon arc lol.

Crocodile

Ive said this before and ill say it again

The biggest fans of dubbed anime are the people who wear Jack Skellington t-shirts, rave pants, and fingerless gloves

The weebs generally prefer subbed to dubbed, the nerds/hipsters generally prefer to watch their hows online, the bros are really only interested in nostlgia and some random stuff, the fangirls generally prefer anime thats not on Toonami.

Theres not a lot of people like us out there bros.

Dubbed anime is for casual fans (i.e. the majority). There's no need to attach specific characteristics to these people. That the average American, who would bother to watch anime, would find Attack on Titan appealing has everything to do with Western sensibilities and preferences, not some niche counter culture.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We're going to flashback to this event even though we're not going to show what Third Gear is.

Crocodile

I can't recall, did Luffy explicitly say "Third Gear" when he used that move to open the door? If not, why spoiler Third Gear in this way rather than just let it happen int he fight?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That looked like a random piece of movie 6 animation. Wonder if it actually was. This is about when Toei starts getting more extreme with the various art styles and special animations.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't recall, did Luffy explicitly say "Third Gear" when he used that move to open the door? If not, why spoiler Third Gear in this way rather than just let it happen int he fight?

It's a way to show how powerful it is. He's hinted at it a few times and breaking the door down gives us some context as to it's power without revealing it completely, thus maintaining the surprise.

Squishy3

To build excitement, because you don't know what it is yet know that it's powerful because it destroyed that door.

Also, revealing it in the middle of a fight would be what some might consider an asspull. It's the second time it was teased too, since he was about to use it against Blueno if Blueno didn't get knocked out.

I'll take dismissing the entire series over something as poorly executed as what we got. Like, let's not pretend this has ever been some big, overarching theme of the show. It's popped up here and there, but it's never been built up to a degree that makes it feel like some integral part of the ending here; it really only became a thing toward the end, and barely. Kagome's little psychoanalysis of Naraku was the most we ever got and that was....what? Two episodes ago. Almost everyone in this thread was sitting here wondering where a character related to the jewel even came from. And if you're going to push aside the show's general execution of this plot point, what makes this different from the countless other episodes that have been bemoaned on here?

It's because a lot of the events that happened in this episode were built up from the original series, including the evil nature of the Shikon Jewel (revealed in the original series when they went to that cave and learned how the Jewel was made) and the relationship between InuYasha and Kagome/Miroku and Sango. We stayed with InuYasha for nearly 200 episodes because of these characters when the plot was "spinning it's wheels", we like those characters and wanted to see them get together and finally put the struggle of the jewel to a permanent end.

The problem here isn't in what the story did, but in the god awful pacing/execution of the content in Final Act itself. What happened could and should have been more effective had it been paced better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom