• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Best Toonami dad

rKUZmtk.gif

Josh5890

I'm curious to hear some opinions on this. Do you prefer to read the manga first then watch the show or vice versa? I've heard both sides of the argument in when it comes to reading books.

I'm curious to hear some opinions on this. Do you prefer to read the manga first then watch the show or vice versa? I've heard both sides of the argument in when it comes to reading books.

It depends on how long the manga is coupled with how far the anime adaptation got. Like Ippo is very long and the anime barely covers half of it's current story so I binged the manga and caught up before watching the anime to see all my favorite parts animated. Sometimes the manga is a better experience for me like with One Piece. Some times I don't have access to the manga so all I have is the anime like with Fullmetal Alchemist. Other times the manga and anime tell the same basic story in very different ways like with Planetes.

I did it with Naruto during its filler hell arcs, I got seriously annoyed waiting for the timeskip to start so I just started reading the scanlations every week.

Mizerman

It depends on the series I follow. I'll usually follow the manga version and see if the animated version is faithful enough to enjoy. However, there are times where I saw the anime version then decide to read the manga.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Really depends on the series & if the anime covers most, if not all of the stuff from the manga, or if the anime just "stops", so you have to read the manga to get the rest of the story.

I think I've ran more into "read the manga, then the anime was confirmed/airing" than "watched the anime, then read the manga", but I'm hard pressed to figure out which I've done more to be exact.

Line_HTX

I don't really read manga anymore unless I feel a huge urge to know what happens next. The last time I dud that was in late 2014 with AOT.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I keep up to date with One Piece and HxH, but in both cases I started with the anime, ran out of anime/got up to date and wanted to continue the story.

Also happened a few years ago with Kenichi and a lot longer ago with GTO. Need to get around to finishing Dragonball and Sailor Moon, maybe Inuyasha.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I managed to fall asleep BEFORE Toonami this week, woke up during One Piece.

Thank goodness for AdultSwim.com and the west coast feed.

DBZ - Tien being a badass. Surprising that he finally got to look strong again. I still fondly remember when he was a main antagonist back in Dragon Ball. Him vs Kid Goku is still the best fight in the franchise.

Gundam - this kid, who is apparently the main character despite his main personality being having no personality, is cold blooded as hell. The main girl character is already annoying. I'll give her a chance, but right now she's looking like your standard dumbass anime love interest.

Hunter - interesting "fights". Gon continues to be really likable. Kurapika's voice actress continues to fail to sound like a boy. Show continues to be interesting, despite the fact that you guys keep saying this is the most boring part.

Champloo - Feels like they're trying to tie everything together. Fuu, pls be ok! D:

Naruto - Who gives a fuck?

One Piece - basically just exposition and a bit of Brook character stuff. hope the apparently upcoming swordfight is cool. The stuffed bear thing has reached the end of its humor potential. Just point at your zipper or something.

no interest in manga

Same

Raxus

I enjoy reading manga. It is the closest I can get to the comic fandom.

Plus there are some gorgeous manga out there that can almost never be done justice in anime. I think out of all the anime I am watching at the moment I am currently reading most of them with the exception of JoJo.
Speaking of anime fans on prom night. MN9 seems to be arriving in to the station in flames.

Edit: I was knocked out after Anime Ambien. Will catch up Monday.

Great stuff SAB.

Seda

I had a longer post written up, but instead I'll just say this. While there are storylines I like and don't like, I'm usually not engrossed into them enough to a.) Want to read the "most canon" material or b.) To be as up-to-date as possible.

Heck, I think one reason I watch Toonami - while I haven't seen much anime or ghibli movies or movies in general outside of it - is because I like the discussion and reactions here more than the content itself.

I know that probably is weird.

Raxus

I know that probably is weird.

Not weird at all. Reactions are half the reason I come here too. Different strokes for different folks. I am actually not reading JoJo for the specific purposes of going in blind because I find each episode a pleasant surprise. It also helps the direction for the newest series is ON POINT.

I dunno about everyone else, but I think I post more during Naruto because I'm trying to maintain interest somehow.
Seriously though, how did those prisoners hear about Orichimaru's death?

BBboy20

Huh. Never heard of this one.
Super same.

Stole it from Hunter x Hunter.

-
The Y AxesA San Francisco band that focuses on spacial pop rhythms and celestial rocking blues with dashes of underhanded post-apocalyptic themes here and there. Their freshmen work is obviously a bit more lo-fi that compliments their charming, subtle weirdness in structure and lyrical content while their sophomore work turns that same lo-fi quality into an artform and it is where, I believe, is where their identity was really nailed down. From their latest bassist, Jack Sundquist, he told me that the band was mostly a revolving door but feels that, with drummer Nick Schneider, the band may finally have it's members locked down from here on out.

Sit Kitty SitNever heard of their music until last Thursday but within the first beat, I was already in. They are a duet consisting of a pianist (Kat Downs) and drummer (Mike Thompson) that has a bar/burlesque core but their techniques, direction, and sensibilities are, overall, modern. Basically, they only use two instruments but utilize so much out of them. If you have an affinity for drumming, Mike will drum roll your world. Funny enough, Kat actually educated me a bit about drumming and indescribable chemistry.

Bent KneeThe light. Literally, they may have been the reason quite a few was lured to the Elbo Room on the 16th of June of this year, spectators and musicians alike (and half the reason I traveled down to San Francisco). I'm deeply amazed this group hasn't made it big already because I can easily see their songs from Shiny Eyed Babies alone be fitted into trailers and commercials already. A group of 6 that manage to sound like the epics of olde; blinding & overwhelming soundscape with deep-seeded & often-tangled wordplay. Also: Jessica Kion for MVP.

Moaradin

I tend to post less when I'm really enjoying the show.

Yup. I don't post that much during Gundam, HxH, Champloo, or One Piece.

Hunter - interesting "fights". Gon continues to be really likable. Kurapika's voice actress continues to fail to sound like a boy. Show continues to be interesting, despite the fact that you guys keep saying this is the most boring part.

I think that speaks for the quality of the later stuff more than anything. I think this is the weakest arc by far, but it's still pretty good. It does a good job introducing the characters and it has been giving us a taste of the unconventional battles that this series is known for.

Moaradin

Kurapika in English almost sounds identical to the Japanese voice. Him sounding like a girl is probably intentional at this point.

Line_HTX

I just go with the flow of the show and if I like or don't like something, I'll say it.

Or maybe I'm just mashing on my phone every minute like I do during sports.

Jarate

Banned
If it's a new show or good episodes of series I want to watch, I wont post

sometimes I need to yell at naruto. that show is garbage

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A weird thing about MN9 and Bloodstained is that at this point, I wonder if the average person who saw both side--by-side in a store would think one looks better than the other? From a distance, they both look pretty similar, and it's only really the details that make one seem great, and the other seem middling.

I'm still looking forward to playing MN9 however, and I kinda feel back for Beck and his cast of friends... We've got Steve Blum\s voice in a MM game! (I wonder if they'll review it on Toonami? No, they don't score that low... XD)

LOL, those E3 sketches. Good pixels, SAB CA.

Give Orga Jin Kazama's movelist. I dunno, it's Orga's hair and bang that makes me think it would fit.

Good thing one of the selectable stages is a volcano with walled section and then whoever's on match point first it transitions into an infinite stage. Throw them into a volcano... one last time.

Thanks! I could deal with Orga like that. Especially with jerky Bosch voice.

Happy slightly belated father's day all!

BJEG5f.gif

I think Lili would make a good Kudelia, too...

Man do I love those E3-themed Toonami sketches.I can't even pick a single favorite; they all are.

Wohoo! I don't know if I did E3 any justice itself, but I'm glad to have gotten at least something for each console in there. Did think about a Parody of the FFXIV Microsoft stage demo, but alas...

I enjoy reading manga. It is the closest I can get to the comic fandom.

Plus there are some gorgeous manga out there that can almost never be done justice in anime. I think out of all the anime I am watching at the moment I am currently reading most of them with the exception of JoJo.
Speaking of anime fans on prom night. MN9 seems to be arriving in to the station in flames.

Edit: I was knocked out after Anime Ambien. Will catch up Monday.

Great stuff SAB.

Closest I've got to manga reading again is some One Punch Man. Since I have nearly all the Gunsmith Cats manga, I wouldn't mind more anime of it, haha. It was the one that made me think "This could never be as cool in animation!" Now, seeing things like Redline, I think most things can be done pretty well with the right team.

It's been a LONG time since I completed any manga series, but I kind of want to complete Ah! My Goddesss one of these days, since it's all made release in the US...

I wonder if the feels for Beck will stick around long enough for it to be a good topic for next week's DUMP? Glad you liked this one! :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Weird thing is, after seeing it mentioned earlier, I looked on Toonami's tumblr & Facebook, but saw no mention of the news. Where was it confirmed/where did they see the news in order to ask Demarco?

I think I'm still anime mostly, but I have read Berserk and am maybe halfway through Jojo part 5. I may check out other series once Jojo doesn't consume most of my manga time.

Seda

Weird thing is, after seeing it mentioned earlier, I looked on Toonami's tumblr & Facebook, but saw no mention of the news. Where was it confirmed/where did they see the news in order to ask Demarco?

My guess is it's on a TV listing somewhere. Not sure where though - the listings I see indicate a non-usual lineup but don't specify the show being marathoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom