• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3Z7W0hg.gif

Crocodile

Why does it look like CGI you'd find in a catholic dollar store DVD? I ain't touching that new Berserk

Thanks bro

I mean I'm not one to often call someone dumb to their face save for extreme situations but I just saw your reply just now and it is fucking stupid. I like you bro but the thing you said is dumb as hell. Like REALLY dumb as hell. Sorry.

Jarate

Banned
I mean I'm not one to often call someone dumb to their face save for extreme situations but I just saw your reply just now and it is fucking stupid. I like you bro but the thing you said is dumb as hell. Like REALLY dumb as hell. Sorry.

Explain why using an actual argument if you really want to tell me I'm wrong. I still have yet to even hear anybody even explain how I'm wrong.

I don't care if you disagree with me, I don't need an echo chamber like apparently some of ya'll do

Crocodile

Explain why using an actual argument if you really want to tell me I'm wrong. I still have yet to even hear anybody even explain how I'm wrong.

I don't care if you disagree with me, I don't need an echo chamber like apparently some of ya'll do

I already made an argument on why you were wrong. I can repeat them and elaborate on them if you want:

A) Though Japan may be near ethnically homogeneous, there is no rule that says that has to apply to the fiction they produce. This isn't true of any other near ethnically homogenous nation either. Unambiguously White, Black, Hispanic, South Asian, etc. characters are already present in anime/manga with prominent roles. Why would any character "need" to be or look Japanese?

B) Casca isn't Japanese and Berserk isn't set in Japan. Why does anyone in that IP have to look "Japanese"? Characters can be relatable without looking like the majority.

C) I hope you realize how close "claiming she's whitewashed or made to be whiter makes you look silly tbh." is to "those who point out racism are the real racists"? (You can replace racism with sexism, homophobia, etc. if you want). You want to reword this if you mean something else.

D) Ethnically transforming a unambiguously "minority" character (through lightening skin color, messing with facial features, etc.) into a "majority" character with the aim of "making them more appealing" is like the definition of whitewashing. Would you prefer I say "East-Asian-Washing" in this context? Its describing the exact same problem so the terms aren't different in meaning. If your issue it just semantics about terminology I can't say I really care?

Trying to get caught up with yall for Hunter x Hunter since that marathon ran past my bedtime and I can't find it dubbed anywhere online.

Jarate

Banned
I never once implied this it was OK, in fact I said it was bad multiple times. Calling it whitewashing and making them whiter means they are actively making them white. Why is a Japanese product trying to make a character more white?

Asian cultures have liked paler skin for a really long time, using the word white washing and calling them white is kind of racist tbh, makes me think that you think every country is obsessed with becoming white, which is not true at all.

Decent numbers for HxH marathon.

Code:
Show		Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	11:30 PM	1,156			0.5
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	906			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	850			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		809			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	1:30 AM		805			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	2:00 AM		781			0.3
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	2:30 AM		705			0.3
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-july-2-2016/

It helps that the episodes are dub premieres and can't be viewed elsewhere.

Decent numbers for HxH marathon.

Code:
Show		Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	11:30 PM	1,156			0.5
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	906			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	850			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		809			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	1:30 AM		805			0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	2:00 AM		781			0.3
HUNTER X HUNTER	ADULT SWIM	2:30 AM		705			0.3

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/07/06/saturday-cable-ratings-july-2-2016/

It was a good binge. Hoping Toonami does another one for Labor Day or Veterans Day weekend.

Crocodile

I never once implied this it was OK, in fact I said it was bad multiple times. Calling it whitewashing and making them whiter means they are actively making them white. Why is a Japanese product trying to make a character more white?

Asian cultures have liked paler skin for a really long time, using the word white washing and calling them white is kind of racist tbh, makes me think that you think every country is obsessed with becoming white, which is not true at all.

I think you're missing the forest for the trees. The designation of certain shades of skin color as inherently beautiful (light skin) and some as ugly (dark skin) is a problem and has been a problem across the world and throughout history. It's certainly in large part due to European colonialism but its not exclusively due to that. If an established character's skin is deliberately made lighter, its also being made whiter. As in closer to the literal color white. Japanese people aren't ethnically White but the skin color of the average, non-mixed Japanese person (not all of course) is literally whiter than Casca's normal skin color. That is why this is being called Whitewashing. It's a term that clearly communicates what is going on and is useful across ethnicities and nations. "Oh it should be called Japanese-washing!" (which is what I think you are arguing?) is a deflection/semantics.

it's slowly moving West

It would get here faster if it went further East :p

Jarate

Banned
I think you're missing the forest for the trees. The designation of certain shades of skin color as inherently beautiful (light skin) and some as ugly (dark skin) is a problem and has been a problem across the world and throughout history. It's certainly in large part due to European colonialism but its not exclusively due to that. If an established character's skin is deliberately made lighter, its also being made whiter. As in closer to the literal color white. Japanese people aren't ethnically White but the skin color of the average, non-mixed Japanese person (not all of course) is literally whiter than Casca's normal skin color. That is why this is being called Whitewashing. It's a term that clearly communicates what is going on and is useful across ethnicities and nations. "Oh it should be called Japanese-washing!" (which is what I think you are arguing?) is a deflection/semantics.

It would get here faster if it went further East :p

are you imply geisha girls are because of european influence...

The reason why they made her like that is because asian cultures like lighter skin tones. Using white as a term implies the race, not the color, especially whitewashing which has a very real definition and a very real understanding of what that means. Im not disagreeing with you that it's wrong, because it is wrong, so im obviously not deflecting. Just the useage of those words is really actually important because of actual context these words are used in. And honestly, using them once again implies that everyone wants to be white and thats the entire worlds ideal beauty, which is not true at all. I think that's pretty bad to assume that.

You can use whatever terminology you find appropriate, im not stopping you from saying these things, you can go tomorrow and go on reddit and say it a million times. It doesn't take away the fact that it's use is really silly. If you don't care at all, then that's fine, im just saying what I think

Crocodile

are you imply geisha girls are because of european influence...

The reason why they made her like that is because asian cultures like lighter skin tones. Using white as a term implies the race, not the color, especially whitewashing which has a very real definition and a very real understanding of what that means. Im not disagreeing with you that it's wrong, because it is wrong, so im obviously not deflecting. Just the useage of those words is really actually important because of actual context these words are used in. And honestly, using them once again implies that everyone wants to be white and thats the entire worlds ideal beauty, which is not true at all. I think that's pretty bad to assume that.

You can use whatever terminology you find appropriate, im not stopping you from saying these things, you can go tomorrow and go on reddit and say it a million times. It doesn't take away the fact that it's use is really silly. If you don't care at all, then that's fine, im just saying what I think

A) I'm not sure why you bring up Geisha girls when I already said that the issue isn't exclusively due to the influence of Europe and that its an issue that extends across the globe and across time. You aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

B) Geisha girls don make-up that gives them pale/white skin. I'm well aware of the Japanese predilection towards light skin. It's still a problem when it manifests its way in this manner (if that was indeed the impetus for Casca's tone change).

C) This line of conversation is trending towards concern trolling. Are you arguing that someone will be offended by the use of the term Whitewashing to describe making the skin tone of an established dark skinned character lighter (and thus whiter by the definition of the color) even when describing the media of nations that are not ethnically White? I feel pretty confident that no significant number of reasonable people (of Japanese descent or who could be described as Caucasian) would care.

D) I'm not making any assumptions. That light skin = good, dark skin = bad (in general, reduced terms) is a common cultural view that even impacts nations that are majority dark-skinned. In part its a function of globalization and the fact that the superpowers of the world have been White-majority nations for the past 500 years or so but its still an issue outside of that context too. It's a common issue both sides of my family (the Caribbean and West Africa) had to deal with back home. Skin bleaching products are not rare across the world (especially in Asia). Shit an Indian American girl once straight up told me in college she couldn't date me because her India-born parents would flip out if she brought home someone as dark skinned as myself. I'm not making shit up - I'm talking from a combination of my life experiences, the experiences of others like me who I've ever interacted with and just some plain old research.

Seda

So, I am 100% for some flexibility in translation to allow conversations and such to run more naturally and avoid wooden/boring/literal dialogue. Like, Space Dandy had several instances of these sorts of things that fit well into the type of show it was.

But inserting outdated memes like that basically work counter to what I just said. Sticks out awkwardly and interrupts any sense of flow.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
*reads Bleach*

post-31074-J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-gif-S-NWLY.gif

*sees all the plot contrivances*

fa4.png

I can't even muster up any emotion any more.

Honestly, I'm just glad that Kubo finally fucking remembered that he reintroduced those guys like 2 fucking years ago now and then had them immediately vanish again for the entire arc. :D

Apparently that was just to set up the crowning asspull of his shit sandwich. Brilliant.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So, I am 100% for some flexibility in translation to allow conversations and such to run more naturally and avoid wooden/boring/literal dialogue. Like, Space Dandy had several instances of these sorts of things that fit well into the type of show it was.

But inserting outdated memes like that basically work counter to what I just said. Sticks out awkwardly and interrupts any sense of flow.
What's worse is the fact this is NOT the first time they used that stupid "ain't nobody got *blank* for that" joke.

.........also, my suspicion was right on the fact that Log Horizon & Gatchaman Crowds have the same ADR Director, Kyle Jones. Granted, the ADR Scripts were different, but Kyle Jones did the script for Log Horizon, so it feels less of a coincidence.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Still one of the best instances of script writing to date.

It takes the awkwardness of modern lingo and turns it into the joke thanks to writing and delivery. Sentai hasn't reached that level yet.

It helps that the narrator is voiced by a man in his 60's.
Also Whitebeard.

What's worse is the fact this is NOT the first time they used that stupid "ain't nobody got *blank* for that" joke.

.........also, my suspicion was right on the fact that Log Horizon & Gatchaman Crowds have the same ADR Director, Kyle Jones. Granted, the ADR Scripts were different, but Kyle Jones did the script for Log Horizon, so it feels less of a coincidence.

Sentai reeeeeeaaaaaally needs new directors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom