• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know the Tales of Zestiria the X was getting a broadcast dub with a lot of the original VA coming back for it. Guess I'll be subbing to the Funimation website soon to watch it all.

Line_HTX

Didn't know the Tales of Zestiria the X was getting a broadcast dub with a lot of the original VA coming back for it. Guess I'll be subbing to the Funimation website soon to watch it all.

Is Zestiria the Cross a good representation of the game? Not expecting it to be super detailed but at least Cliffs Notes enough that I understand the story?

Seda

Is the fact that Naruto's final form is fast, strong, and shoots chakra blasts really a spoiler?

I also remember people saying that the Adult Swim One Punch Man promo had spoilers. Really???

Not everything is a spoiler.

Also movie trailers don't spoil movies btw.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is the fact that Naruto's final form is fast, strong, and shoots chakra blasts really a spoiler?

I also remember people saying that the Adult Swim One Punch Man promo had spoilers. Really???

I can see both sides of the coin. I've laughed off big obvious spoilers and also have avoided teasers/trailers so I could go in blind. It's kinda fun to go out of your way to be fresh to an experience if you think you're going to enjoy it more. That's what I did with the last Star Wars movie, though I stumbled on the goal line because of a MNF trailer.

Is Zestiria the Cross a good representation of the game? Not expecting it to be super detailed but at least Cliffs Notes enough that I understand the story?

Well the game itself doesn't really have an amazing story so i wouldn't expect the anime itself to be much better. I've only seen episode 0 but it seemed really solid with the usual fantastic looking ufotable animation.

Ill definitely give it a watch, especially since its in the same world as Beseria which looks really interesting.

Line_HTX

Some things I want to avoid like the obvious and the how, but at this point spoiler culture is beyond out of control.

There is something seriously wrong when you have to have the 1st ROUND of the NFL Draft be spoilered, when people are asking about EVO 2016 tournament updates not to be spoiled FOR JUST DAYS 1 AND 2, and when people clamoring that episode previews or movie trailers are spoilers, and it goes on and on and on.

That's not even counting the endless threads that pop up that some games which should not be spoilers are spoilered anyway. This seriously has to stop. You're just making people no longer respect you.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's like picking a fight with an ocean of information. You want to not be spoiled by the internet? Don't go on the internet. You can skip movie teasers/trailers if you want. You can ask your friends/coworkers to not "spoil" something. You gotta be proactive when you don't want something to be "spoiled" but what you can't do is expect people, especially random ass strangers on the internet, to know exactly what constitutes a spoiler for you.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Like LIVE EVENTS where there's updates ARE NOT spoilers. I'm still mad that the NFL Draft had to be treated like that.

But but I'm at work/on the road/and I treat live breaking news as spoilers.

To be fair though this isn't some modern phenomenon. There are tales of people taping up the bottom of their screen to not get the ticker on ESPN to not spoil sports scores because they have the game taped.

Jarate

Banned
So, my parents are watching 16 candles on IFC and they are getting like a crunchy roll advertisement every commercial break

It's weird

Also, my parents are looking for a Blu-Ray/Streaming service box. I suggested an Xbone, or a mixture of a Roku 3 and a cheap Blu-Ray player. Anybody else got suggestions?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So, my parents are watching 16 candles on IFC and they are getting like a crunchy roll advertisement every commercial break

It's weird

Also, my parents are looking for a Blu-Ray/Streaming service box. I suggested an Xbone, or a mixture of a Roku 3 and a cheap Blu-Ray player. Anybody else got suggestions?

Sony makes a decent Smart Blu-Ray player. Has most of the normal apps. Nothing has quite the selection of Roku though if they're into niche stuff.

The big problem with spoiler culture is that not all spoilers are made equal and generally its the why not the what I feel is more important. Saying Aerith dies in Final Fantasy 7 is technically a spoiler for that game your first time playing, but the context of why she dies, the impact it has on the characters and narrative, and when it happens in the story have not been revealed and are what actually matter in the end. A good story should be about the journey not the destination and even if you know it's coming a good twist will still impact an audience member when done well ie in Bleach I knew of the Aizen twist ahead of time but when it actually happened it still worked since everything that built up to it and the payoff afterwards were very well done.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach is definitely something I'd be kinda bummed about knowing the Aizen reveal. I saw that go down as it was happening and it was great. If I had known that before diving in I probably wouldn't have!

Soulflarz

Banned

Well, we also live in an age where people get mad over everything. I've seen people get mad over being told stuff as trivial as "Dark Souls 2 has a hub area which just has 4 branching paths" under the reasoning they want to go in blind. I think people largely forget they could go and play games while being mildly educated about what they're playing and they haven't suddenly ruined the experience.

The big problem with spoiler culture is that not all spoilers are made equal and generally its the why not the what I feel is more important. Saying Aerith dies in Final Fantasy 7 is technically a spoiler for that game your first time playing, but the context of why she dies, the impact it has on the characters and narrative, and when it happens in the story have not been revealed and are what actually matter in the end. A good story should be about the journey not the destination and even if you know it's coming a good twist will still impact an audience member when done well ie in Bleach I knew of the Aizen twist ahead of time but when it actually happened it still worked since everything that built up to it and the payoff afterwards were very well done.

I keep seeing this argument, but what if the person does go on to spoil the details as to why it happened?

I keep seeing this argument, but what if the person does go on to spoil the details as to why it happened?

I mean I hate to victim blame but if you start reading something and realize it's something you don't know about yet stop looking and report to a mod/walk away/ask the person to stop talking. If you see Aizen is a traitor and here is the foreshadowing and what happens afterwards bail once you see that first line.

And Man God I promise the aizen twist even if you know its coming you can't prepare for it since when Aizen shows up dead you start wondering if the doctor chick is faking his death, if thats not the real aizen why can't people figure it out? If it is really aizen how does he revive himself? The hypnosis twist and gin was on his side are far bigger twists to have spoiled then Aizen is the bad guy in an epic troll twist.

Soulflarz

Banned
Guys now you spoiled the Aizen...thing
Whoever that is
Now I'll never watch Bleach, it's ruined for me

I wasn't going to anyways

I think its been a pretty good adaptation so far, though the pacing is a bit slow as were on ep4 and were only at Ladylake, however the sound and visuals is pretty fantastic and little details in character interaction is nice.Storys been easy to follow.

my standpoint has always been that media is generally not so disposable that we are only capable of enjoying it once and never again; if something outright requires the element of surprise to be any good and is bad lacking that element of surprise then...it's not actually any good.

while i understand that desire to preserve that first-time experience, you then have to wall yourself off completely from discussion of that particular thing because just about anything can color your experience; there's rarely such a thing as going in blind anymore.

Regiruler

The thing is, this is one simple community thread, and you only really need to care about spoiling shows that are currently running, which is a small number. Future shows aren't even a big deal unless they're just a few weeks from airing, as people who haven't seen them will forget the spoilers in the first place unless it was a large twist.

ckohler

mxpxUZK.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For those who watch Toonami via the online stream, what's your average internet speed? I might just have to resort to that if I can't work out getting CN with my Charter cable since I don't want to spend $20 extra per month JUST for that channel. From the sheet I got, I'd be getting speeds of 30mbps, which would be a HUGE improvement over what I have now (around 3mbps, maybe 5 tops on a good day).

ckohler

For those who watch Toonami via the online stream, what's your average internet speed? I might just have to resort to that if I can't work out getting CN with my Charter cable since I don't want to spend $20 extra per month JUST for that channel. From the sheet I got, I'd be getting speeds of 30mbps, which would be a HUGE improvement over what I have now (around 3mbps, maybe 5 tops on a good day).
Have you considered ditching cable TV service and going with Internet and PS Vue? That's what I did.

Grexeno

The problem with streaming is that generally you can assume it will have significant delay from the actual broadcast, which will put you behind the curve in thread discussion.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was considering PS Vue but I heard it's slightly behind live TV. I also have internet that is just not great for streaming, though hopefully that'll change once I get Charter.

I was just gonna get cable because I can get it as part of a bundle for $30/mo. for my first year. Then maybe after the year is up & they bump the price up, I might ditch the cable since the only channels I really watch are FXX/Simpsons rerun channel & CN/Toonami.

The problem with streaming is that generally you can assume it will have significant delay from the actual broadcast, which will put you behind the curve in thread discussion.
Yeah, this is the main issue I have, plus I'd have to lose TV because my internet wasn't working.

I recall not being TOO far behind when I had to resort to streaming when Dish & Turner couldn't come to an agreement, meaning CN was taken off for about a month.

Moaradin

I used the stream for a few months. It is delayed a bit, but I didn't have a huge problem with it. Still was able to keep up with discussions for the most part.

ckohler

For the record, PS Vue is only 20~30 seconds delayed. I thought it would be a deal breaker but I can still enjoy/contribute to the thread just fine.

Sling TV is at least 60 seconds delayed. That was too much for my tastes. I don't know how delayed the Adult Swim stream is but I'd assume it's also 60 seconds.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like I can get PS Vue for $30/mo. & I'd get both FXX & CN. Maybe what I'll do is give that a trial just to test it out, then next year, once my internet/cable bundle jumps in price, I'll cancel the cable, then subscribe to PS Vue. According to the fine print, it'd jump to $90/mo., then the year after that, $110/mo, but again, I need to actually check & see first.

Adult Swim stream was like 10-15 seconds delayed when I used it.
Yeah, that seems to be the amount I recall. For the most part, just as something would happen on the stream, a second or two later someone would comment on it. 20 seconds seems like I'd be reading comments 5 seconds before they'd happen on TV.

Honestly, I don't know why I don't just get all the seasons of the Simpsons that I care about (that's the only reason why I want FXX), but it could be that I just preferred having the DVR set up to record most of the episodes, then I didn't have to deal with deciding what one I wanted to watch, then putting the DVD in & loading it, then swapping out when I want to play a game.

Nice. I may test that tonight.
If you're able to, would you be so kind as to post your comparisons (stream vs. PS Vue) once the night's over? This might help my decision, though I'll certain keep PS Vue in mind if my internet speed actually is around the 30mbps they promise.

My current crappy internet is part of the reason why I don't stream or use online video services like Crunchyroll or Netflix, because I want HD quality but it'd mean having to constantly let the video buffer.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Goku and Gohan take their training to the next level while Cell shows off his new power, Saitama and Genos decide to take the fight to the House of Evolution, Orga leads the raid on the Hammerhead to try to convince the Turbines to help in their mission to deliver Kudelia to Earth, it's on to the 4th phase of the Hunter Exam as the applicants are forced to hunt the most dangerous game of all: each other, Akatsuki learns of Orochimaru's fate and Kakashi gathers up his team to hunt down Itachi, the Straw Hats launch their counterattack on Thriller Bark while Absalom is occupied with wedding preparations, and Shinichi and Migi reunite with an old friend.

11:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 80 - The Tables Are Turned! Witness the Power of Perfection!
12:00 - One-Punch Man - 3 - The Obsessive Scientist
12:30 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 8 - The Form of Closeness
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 14 - Hit × The × Target
1:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 121 - Assemble
2:00 - One Piece - 355 - Food, Nami and Shadows!! Luffy's Enraged Counterattack
2:30 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 14 - The Selfish Gene

Just caught the second episode of one punch man on adult swim toonami stream and it was fantastic , lol at the mole escaping and bam that face greeting him

Also loved that naked slap kill haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom