• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this conversation made me realize something. I've fallen out of love with JRPGs, and RPGs in general to some degree. They were my favorite genre growing up. I've never really played any of the Persona or Megami Tensei games. (I tried some of them, but they didn't click.) The last Final Fantasy I played was 13. I'm not interested in FF15. I look at it, and I don't feel anything. I considered trying Bravely Default, but then I heard about its ending. I liked the early Tales games, but I haven't kept up with the series.

I play Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and the Souls games. I will say I'm tepidly looking forward to the FF7 remake.

Man, this conversation made me realize something. I've fallen out of love with JRPGs, and RPGs in general to some degree. They were my favorite genre growing up. I've never really played any of the Persona or Megami Tensei games. (I tried some of them, but they didn't click.) The last Final Fantasy I played was 13. I'm not interested in FF15. I look at it, and I don't feel anything. I considered trying Bravely Default, but then I heard about its ending. I liked the early Tales games, but I haven't kept up with the series.

I play Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and the Souls games. I will say I'm tepidly looking forward to the FF7 remake.

I see no mention of the Trails series, Trails in the Sky FC rekindled my love for JRPGs in a time where most of the ones we were getting were kind of weak. The past year or so has been kind of resurgence of the genre with lots of great games that aren't just awful otaku bait.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If anything, I've kind of fallen out of J/RPGs on the grounds I just don't have the same amount of time that I do now. I can kind of deal with portable RPGs since it's much easier to jump in & out via sleep feature, but console ones, I don't play very often. I'm hoping TMS #FE will keep my attention, then FF15 will be my other big RPG for the year, then wait until P5. I know the last portable RPG I played was M&L Paper Jam, and that only took me about 28ish hours because I was doing the side stuff as well. I'm trying to remember the last console RPG I honestly completed.

I've tried the Tales of games & they're fine, but aside from Symphonia (which was when I was a teen), I haven't completed them.....or have a ton digitally via PS3 sales that I need to start. I SHOULD get back to Vesperia without the mindset of "I NEED TO GET THESE SECRET ACHIEVEMENTS DURING THE BOSS BATTLES AARRRGGGHHH THE COMPLETIONIST IN ME DEMANDS IT!!!"

I can't get into the Star Ocean games despite finding the battle system rather decent. MAYBE I'll get 7th Dragon III Code VFD but I might be too busy with TMS #FE for the time being.

Line_HTX

For a Toonami example "Naoto-Kun!" in FLCL.

I actually find it pretty stupid when western translations not only don't use them, but don't replace anything that give the feeling in English.

When you hear a character going out of their way to use someone last name, rather than first in Japanese, or you hear them calling them something respectful, and the translation / subtitles don't match the level of respect, it feels pretty odd to me.

I wish every show and game came with "subtitles" and "dubtitles" now-a-days. They did such a thing in Tenchi GXP, and I liked comparing how I felt about scenes between straight translation and localizations.

Oh right, I forgot that Naota's dad would say "Naota-kun" and "Haruko-san" and it didn't feel out of place.

I think there are replacements for titles like General or Lady, but yeah, it's pretty difficult to replicate that feeling.

Best I can think of for nobility would be like "Dearest mother" or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh god, I think the last console RPG I actually finished the main story of was Ni no Kuni.........in 2013......Everything else has been Vita or 3DS.

I need some free time aaaggaiiinnn....

Oh right, I forgot that Naota's dad would say "Naota-kun" and "Haruko-san" and it didn't feel out of place.

I think there are replacements for titles like General or Lady, but yeah, it's pretty difficult to replicate that feeling.

Best I can think of for nobility would be like "Dearest mother" or something.
I can fully accept why "sensei" should just be translated to "teacher" or "Mr/Mrs/Miss *name*", because that's the flat-out meaning, but something like "senpai", while I can understand why some people find it annoying &/or out of place, is a bit harder to translate. What exactly would you translate that to?

"kun" & "san", I GUESS is worth keeping if there's a point, as the switch from last to first name or dropping the suffix at the end shows a development between characters, considering a closer relationship is shown at the use of the first name or without "san" or "kun" or whatever. But if that's not there, then I can see why it could be dropped to be more consistent with the English script.

BBboy20

Delays are good, they give me more time to play games.
The only issue with a p5 delay is a few more months to spoil it, that's it.
My timeline is a shitshow right now though, it's pathetic.

On that note as I said on twitter, I'm confused why 2016 was so important. Literally a week difference if the first half of the week was 2016 (end of dec) vs the start of jan at the end and people would be up in arms if it was the Jan date.
Plenty of this stuff have been announced since 2013/14. Justifying your multihundred dollar machines through 60 dollar games that are suppose to take advantage of such tech is becoming a slower process due to how advanced gaming is becoming. Plenty of us have lots of interests; plenty don't as well. The slog exists but how it effects will vary from person to person.

To be fair, P5 will have a monstrous amount of material to localize. There's more animated Japanese in its UI that any other game I've seen. It's not as simple as most games where they simply change text using fonts. They'll have to literally reanimate the entire UI into English. Then there's the hours and hours of dialog.
So the delays only signify how monstrous it is then something gone wrong or lack of talent and skill, as some may think.

Also, I voted!
I was limited to senators and representatives because even Cali got the Election Fuckery Syndrome.

You're right.

MOAR TIEM 4 SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI X FIRE EMBLEM!!!
ohSNAP.gif~c200

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Played Persona 1 when it came out. Didn't really like it.
Played Persona 2, well, the one that came out in the US when it came out, loved it.
Played P3. Didn't really like it.
Played P4G. Liked it even less.

Not excited about P5 at all.

Finished blasting through VLR today. Very fun game to replay, which is a real standout feature on any hybrid visual novel game.

Jarate

Banned
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we never saw that game again outside of making BC versions.

Its one of the best jrpgs of last gen. I hope it gets a PC release or one where the load times aren't that bad and they remove Phil and Lil from the game

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For a Toonami example "Naoto-Kun!" in FLCL.

I actually find it pretty stupid when western translations not only don't use them, but don't replace anything that give the feeling in English.

When you hear a character going out of their way to use someone last name, rather than first in Japanese, or you hear them calling them something respectful, and the translation / subtitles don't match the level of respect, it feels pretty odd to me.

I wish every show and game came with "subtitles" and "dubtitles" now-a-days. They did such a thing in Tenchi GXP, and I liked comparing how I felt about scenes between straight translation and localizations.

This is one of the reasons why I hate the Bleach dub, aside from everybody sleepwalking their way through it. Almost nobody uses the same names they do in the Japanese version. Orihime NEVER calls Ichigo "Ichigo," she absolutely always uses "Kurosaki-kun." I legitimately forgot that Ishida's name even was Uryuu until the dub came along. Almost nobody in Japanese ever calls Urahara "Kisuke" or, for that matter, ever uses "Sousuke" to refer to Aizen, THE FUCKING VILLAIN OF THE SERIES.

Why the dub decided "everybody uses first names like they're all bestest friends" is truly beyond me.

ckohler

So the delays only signify how monstrous it is then something gone wrong or lack of talent and skill, as some may think.

I don't really understand what you're saying.

My guess is that rather than trying to localize the game during its development, AtlusUSA decided to just wait until the game was finished before even starting. The long delay is so they have five months to reanimate all the UI assets, translate and and record the dialog, etc. I'm not excited they did this but I can understand if their reasoning was that they now only have to record the dialog and change the assets once rather than over and over while the game changed during development.

Soulflarz

Banned
Let's all be bestest friends and call each other by our first names, Kappa

Everyone knows mine

I don't really understand what you're saying.

My guess is that rather than trying to localize the game during its development, AtlusUSA decided to just wait until the game was finished before even starting. The long delay is so they have five months to reanimate all the UI assets, translate and and record the dialog, etc. I'm not excited they did this but I can understand if their reasoning was that they now only have to record the dialog and change the assets once rather than over and over while the game changed during development.

Probably this. I like Atlus, but people acting like 5 month delays on international games coming to the US that are big name is a normal thing...really aren't paying too much attention to the industry.
5mo=localization did not start parallel to the development at best.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This is one of the reasons why I hate the Bleach dub, aside from everybody sleepwalking their way through it. Almost nobody uses the same names they do in the Japanese version. Orihime NEVER calls Ichigo "Ichigo," she absolutely always uses "Kurosaki-kun." I legitimately forgot that Ishida's name even was Uryuu until the dub came along. Almost nobody in Japanese ever calls Urahara "Kisuke" or, for that matter, ever uses "Sousuke" to refer to Aizen, THE FUCKING VILLAIN OF THE SERIES.

Why the dub decided "everybody uses first names like they're all bestest friends" is truly beyond me.

That's a great example. The first episodes I saw of Bleach were all Japanese, so I got pretty used to Orihime's little "Kurosaki-kun!", and how distant or close some of the classmates acted by how they talked to each other.

I understand that western people who get to know each other to a certain degree wouldn't stand on that type of ceremony for as long. I don't really care, I'm watching supposedly Asian kids in Japan go to Japanese school. I might as well be indoctrinated to their ways of referring to each other, rather than have it forced into something I digest easier.

I like getting to learn the particulars of the cultures I'm watching content from. That "ooo, they used their first name!" or "they dropped the honorific!" is the kind of thing I'd expect an anime watcher to adapt and learn the meaning of, rather than have turned into something purely westernized.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's a great example. The first episodes I saw of Bleach were all Japanese, so I got pretty used to Orihime's little "Kurosaki-kun!", and how distant or close some of the classmates acted by how they talked to each other.

I understand that western people who get to know each other to a certain degree wouldn't stand on that type of ceremony for as long. I don't really care, I'm watching supposedly Asian kids in Japan go to Japanese school. I might as well be indoctrinated to their ways of referring to each other, rather than have it forced into something I digest easier.

I like getting to learn the particulars of the cultures I'm watching content from. That "ooo, they used their first name!" or "they dropped the honorific!" is the kind of thing I'd expect an anime watcher to adapt and learn the meaning of, rather than have turned into something purely westernized.
Funi's One Piece dub does a pretty decent job of maintaining this sort of thing despite dropping honorifics and other such language quirks. It's most notable with Robin, who alters the way she refers to her crewmates after Enies Lobby. Prior to that she was guarded, keeping them at a distance through language, knowing she couldn't get attached. Luffy is Senchou-san (Captain), Nami is Koukaishi-san (Miss Navigator), Zoro is Kenshi-san (Mr. Swordsman), Sanji is Cook-san (seriously), Usopp is Nagahana-kun (Long Nose), and Chopper is usually Sensei. She refers to them as jobs and objects, rather than as people, that way they're disposable to her. It's only after Water 7 that she starts really using "Luffy," "Nami," "Usopp," etc., and when she does, it's a signal of clear character growth and development. Funimation's dub manages to keep that intact for the most part.

I imagine Viz would have had her using everybody's proper names right from the get go.

I see no mention of the Trails series, Trails in the Sky FC rekindled my love for JRPGs in a time where most of the ones we were getting were kind of weak. The past year or so has been kind of resurgence of the genre with lots of great games that aren't just awful otaku bait.

I was looking at that game on steam. Decided to add it to my wishlist with your advice. Gonna wait for a sale.

to be fair, set pics never look good.

i expect this to be terrible though

Basically where I'm at.

Also...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Funi's One Piece dub does a pretty decent job of maintaining this sort of thing despite dropping honorifics and other such language quirks. It's most notable with Robin, who alters the way she refers to her crewmates after Enies Lobby. Prior to that she was guarded, keeping them at a distance through language, knowing she couldn't get attached. Luffy is Senchou-san (Captain), Nami is Koukaishi-san (Miss Navigator), Zoro is Kenshi-san (Mr. Swordsman), Sanji is Cook-san (seriously), Usopp is Nagahana-kun (Long Nose), and Chopper is usually Sensei. She refers to them as jobs and objects, rather than as people, that way they're disposable to her. It's only after Water 7 that she starts really using "Luffy," "Nami," "Usopp," etc., and when she does, it's a signal of clear character growth and development. Funimation's dub manages to keep that intact for the most part.

I imagine Viz would have had her using everybody's proper names right from the get go.

Or tried to throw in some old-world speak like with Inuyasha! "Monsieur Longsnout Usopp!"

But yeah, another perfect example. Even watching more modern One Piece, I still smile a bit when Robin refers to others by their names. Even the mobile games like Treasure Cruise make sure to keep her more distances title-giving and more close direct naming consistent, which feels great.

I guess a negative example of such a thing is Naruto and "Believe it!".

I mean, it doesn't even look like 18's build. Might as well just make an original character at that rate. Of course, I also hear Jessica of Dragon Quest 8 isn't doing too much lately...

I always found it a bit surprising Toriyama didn't have more varied women among his character designs. The DQ series helps a lot, but it's funny thing Dragonabll is kinda meh in that regard. Especially when you have green, pink, blue, and white-with-purple people walking around all the time.

Line_HTX

You guys know I don't normally watch One Piece and I think someone already explained this before, but man... Robin is drawn pretty well with her stockings and all that jazz...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
He never took lessons from Oda.

I liked the women of One Piece more before the timeskip. Every female that pops up now looks like a twig with some balloons strapped to it. And Robin loses her "out at the archeological site" sun-kissed tan :/

I was kinda OK with Nami growing that way. Robin was already pretty mature, so it's not as weird for her... but like every woman (not annoying child) they meet in Dressrosa has the same build, which looks really, really stupid at times with the B-team animators who show up on occasion. I find it weird to watch Rebecca shedding tears, going for empathy, when her shifting-shape boobs and awkwardly drawn top look like they're prepping to split from her and demolish Doffy on their own...

You guys know I don't normally watch One Piece and I think someone already explained this before, but man... Robin is drawn pretty well with her stockings and all that jazz...

I like these kind of looks for her most, but I can deal with how her later clothes look more and more "relaxed". Even in the midst of a fight, you image she might just run off and curl up with an interesting book, in a hammock made of flowery arms.

bigkrev

I'm sick as hell, to the point that I'm watching Blue Exorcist on Netflix right now, which FINALLY has a sub track up. These early episodes are actually still fun to watch? I know it goes off a cliff, but as a light entertaining 20 minutes it does a really good job

Grexeno

If Blue Exorcist had just been entirely those early technically-filler episodes, it might have gone down as the biggest dark horse ToonamiGAF favorite.

Line_HTX

I think my favorite part was Shura "training" with Rin and she was like, psh, did you just tell me you're gonna beat the shit out of Satan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That cat episode had to be one of the most boring things I ever witnessed on Toonami to the point I almost fell asleep.

....well granted, I think Broly was the most boring considering it actually DID put me to sleep.

Line_HTX

I dunno... I never found anything I watched on Toonami so dull that it put me to sleep. I guess it's because I'm busy posting on my phone while listening and looking up at the TV while I'm on post cooldown that I'm moving around somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom