• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

They...kinda did.

The better value is the redub of classic if they can get that one day.

I feel the redub of the classic is the last show from OG Toonami that they should bring back to complete the nostalgia factor.

Also, I love this Tweet button up here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The important part is the thought that counts.

...........and the thought of the fact they dodged a bullet.

Seda

Also, I love this Tweet button up here.

I actually don't see the Facebook or Twitter icons unless I log out. Another mod mentioned similarly, so I wonder if it's due to the "Add Poll" option and shield thingy.

SOgNcfE.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In an scenario where both Sailor Moon and Crystal became available at the same time Toonami would get Crystal since its newer.

That was the scenario and they were going for Crystal. Now it's been proven to be somewhat of a bust (the last season is apparently okay) if the rights came up again they'd probably go for neither or the re dub of classic.

That was the scenario and they were going for Crystal. Now it's been proven to be somewhat of a bust (the last season is apparently okay) if the rights came up again they'd probably go for neither or the re dub of classic.

They dropped classic Naruto for Shippuden, they'll air Crystal over classic Sailor Moon. And bust is in the eyes of the beholder since the series has clearly done well enough to warrant an additional season with a better budget and director and the blu ray version fixed a good chunk of the derp face issues. What neogaf thinks about anime is extremely irrelevant since Toonami has aired shows people think are terrible like SAO 1 & 2, AoT, AgK, Shippuden, etc and all those shows have done well on the block. The same fan base that made Akame Ga Kill the biggest premier in Toonami history probably won't give a crap about the "bust" issues of Crystal since it has Sailor Moon in the name and thats worth its weight in gold.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh, right, I think the bigger takeaway from Pre-Flight this week is they seem to be wanting another female focused show as it has been awhile since Kill la Kill and Michiko and Hatchin. Probably that was the big reason why they tried to get Fujiko Mine some months ago.

Seda

Oh, right, I think the bigger takeaway from Pre-Flight this week is they seem to be wanting another female focused show as it has been awhile since Kill la Kill and Michiko and Hatchin. Probably that was the big reason why they tried to get Fujiko Mine some months ago.

I was actually thinking last week that DBZ->Gundam->HxH is pretty male dominated, yeah.

Mizerman

Wonder what they're gonna get this time.

Seda

I'm not too familiar with anime but a quicky search shows that Birdy the Mighty is one of those Aniplex produced Funimation licensed shows that expires later this year so that might be why it's not a consideration.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
They dropped classic Naruto for Shippuden, they'll air Crystal over classic Sailor Moon. And bust is in the eyes of the beholder since the series has clearly done well enough to warrant an additional season with a better budget and director and the blu ray version fixed a good chunk of the derp face issues. What neogaf thinks about anime is extremely irrelevant since Toonami has aired shows people think are terrible like SAO 1 & 2, AoT, AgK, Shippuden, etc and all those shows have done well on the block. The same fan base that made Akame Ga Kill the biggest premier in Toonami history probably won't give a crap about the "bust" issues of Crystal since it has Sailor Moon in the name and thats worth its weight in gold.
I can't imagine they are THAT happy with Shippuden. They must've spent a lot of money to outbid others and it's probably one of the pricier shows on the block. Yet it doesn't pull in much better ratings than other long runners, has been pushed to the back of the block and probably has an unfavorable contract since they can't even reair episodes in marathons or on their block.

If they think they dodged a bullet with Crystal, and admitted it publicly, then they aren't going to air it in any scenario. Especially not in exchange for the nostalgia bait that would be the original (though I'm betting they get neither). Stuff like AoT, SAO and Akame that were popular on Toonami were also popular online beforehand. Crystal's popularity online seems pretty stagnant despite the Sailor Moon name, so I can't see Toonami going after it now (hence the dodging a bullet comment).

grandjedi6

Tell them that, they were struggling to think of a female focused show they could pick up.
Because there is none. Funimation has no incentive to liscense out Birdy and nothing else would fit Toonami. There just aren't many female lead action cartoons out there, probably because there are even less female directors in the industry.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Because there is none. Funimation has no incentive to liscense out Birdy and nothing else would fit Toonami. There just aren't many female lead action cartoons out there, probably because there are even less female directors in the industry.

That isn't exactly true but Toonami hardly veers towards magical girl titles.

Most action shows Toonami would pick up are shonen, which are directly targeted at young boys so their hands are a bit tied there unless they wanted to go for some mahou shoujo titles. There's quite a lot of female talent in the anime/manga industry though and a lot of directors, moreso then a lot of places. One of the best, most successful and most talented studios in the business is actually mostly women. Probably wouldn't guess which one.

KyoAni. K-ON was directed by a woman.

grandjedi6

I wouldn't consider magic girl series Toonami appropriate based on how Demarco and such define what fits Toonami. For the most part.

Also I just realized them wanting a female led show dramatically increases the chance of us getting stuck with the Sentai dubbed Gatchaman Crowds

Seda

Unfortunately, several actiony shows with prominent female characters like SAO and AGK tend to be bad (partially) because of course they are presented as pander bait first and believable/sympathetic women second.

They already had Soul Eater and Black Lagoon, good examples of action shows with woman as the lead. Going by whats dubbed or what would fit on Toonami there's not much left. Psycho-Pass would be the top running contender in my mind.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Going back to the Studio Manglobe well I will once again point out that Toonami has never aired Ergo Proxy and that is only from 2006.

I can't imagine they are THAT happy with Shippuden. They must've spent a lot of money to outbid others and it's probably one of the pricier shows on the block. Yet it doesn't pull in much better ratings than other long runners, has been pushed to the back of the block and probably has an unfavorable contract since they can't even reair episodes in marathons or on their block.

If they think they dodged a bullet with Crystal, and admitted it publicly, then they aren't going to air it in any scenario. Especially not in exchange for the nostalgia bait that would be the original (though I'm betting they get neither). Stuff like AoT, SAO and Akame that were popular on Toonami were also popular online beforehand. Crystal's popularity online seems pretty stagnant despite the Sailor Moon name, so I can't see Toonami going after it now (hence the dodging a bullet comment).

They said fan reaction is mixed maybe they dodge a bullet they dunno since they haven't seen Crystal but that netflix (supposed to be Hulu) got it and did nothing with it. Nothing about what they said on pre-flight indicated to me they wouldn't air Crystal if they got it, just that fan reaction is mixed which I mean Dragon Ball Super has mixed fan reaction and you know they'll air it when they can.

Raxus

They already had Soul Eater and Black Lagoon, good examples of action shows with woman as the lead. Going by whats dubbed or what would fit on Toonami there's not much left. Psycho-Pass would be the top running contender in my mind.

For the record I like Psycho Pass' main characters (can't comment on S2) it is mostly everything else that turns the series into blandness town.

This whole discussion REALLY makes me miss Birdy S2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wanna Be the Strongest in the World! It's got female lead roles AND wrestling!

YOU GUYS LIEK WRESTLIN', RIGHT? That's considered action!

000018.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wanna Be the Strongest in the World! It's got female lead roles AND wrestling!

YOU GUYS LIEK WRESTLIN', RIGHT? That's considered action!

000018.gif

AH yes, the series that tried to make submission holds erotic and failed so very badly.

grandjedi6

Most action shows Toonami would pick up are shonen, which are directly targeted at young boys so their hands are a bit tied there unless they wanted to go for some mahou shoujo titles. There's quite a lot of female talent in the anime/manga industry though and a lot of directors, moreso then a lot of places. One of the best, most successful and most talented studios in the business is actually mostly women. Probably wouldn't guess which one.

KyoAni. K-ON was directed by a woman.
I was mostly narrowing it to action shows that could air on Toonami. There is a lot of female talent in the industry but imagine it's still far less than the number of males, especially in the directing role.

If they want a show with a female lead they are kinda fucked as it stands, since most of the best examples would be undubbed, unavailable, not fit on Toonami etc etc. You won't see Rose of Versailles, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Kino no Tabi, Humanity has Declined, Serial Experiments Lain, Gunbuster/Diebuster, Katanagatari, Shirobako, K-ON, Hibike! Euphonium, Non Non Biyori, The Idolmaster, Kyousagiga, Symphogear, Yatterman of the Night...tons of stuff ranging in quality, genre, era and length.

You might see Gatchaman Crowds, Psycho-Pass and Jormungand. I think Jormungand is dubbed. Madoka Magicka at least has a chance because people have heard of that. Other then that I think Sailor Moon would be the only other mahou shoujo show given a chance due to the name, maybe Card Captor Sakura? You ain't gonna see Ojamajo Doremi or PreCure on Toonami. I dunno if Hitsugi no Chaika is dubbed but that could have a chance.

I was mostly narrowing it to action shows that could air on Toonami. There is a lot of female talent in the industry but imagine it's still far less than the number of males, especially in the directing role.

Yep theres still quite the gap for the male representation, but it's surprisingly a lot better then you'd expect when it comes to being known or having a higher place in the industry. It's the same for manga - by and large manga for women are written and drawn by women. Of course the adverse is true, and thats where Toonami's problem lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom