• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

Depends. I'm sure they'll try to renegotiate the contract when it's up for more favorable terms (it's surely expensive and they can't even reair or marathon anything). If Japan goes with it, yeah, we're stuck with Naruto until the series popularity tanks or Toonami does. But if they still demand the same money, I could see Toonami walking away from it. It's not like it's drawing in the ratings like they hoped.
Unfortunately if we ever lost Shippuden they'd probably replace it with Fairy Tail.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unfortunately if we ever lost Shippuden they'd probably replace it with Fairy Tail.

You'd think they would go in a different direction though. I mean if Naruto isn't drawing in a crowd why would they think a relatively unknown show of dubious quality would?

There's plenty of long runners out there to replace it with.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Most vexing thing about Dragon Ball Super is why the hell FUNimation doesn't have it in their pocket already.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Also we're still avoiding the elephant in the room - Dragon Ball Super. Still have zero word about whats going on with that from anyone. I still think Toei is gunning for a larger network or an exclusive deal with Netflix or Hulu, but they've been holding their cards for a bit too long now. It's almost been a full year.
Toei doesn't even know what it's doing with Dragon Ball in Japan. Therefore it shouldn't be surprising that their overseas strategy is nonsensical.

mle5jrgl7qsxnwtppv7i.jpg

Well, fuck you too microsoft.

Most vexing thing about Dragon Ball Super is why the hell FUNimation doesn't have it in their pocket already.

I'm sure they will get it soon, for now lets just await Buu Kai's announcement.

You'd think they would go in a different direction though. I mean if Naruto isn't drawing in a crowd why would they think a relatively unknown show of dubious quality would?

There's plenty of long runners out there to replace it with.

Fairy Tail is about as big as you can get for a battle shonen not running in Jump.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toei doesn't even know what it's doing with Dragon Ball in Japan. Therefore it shouldn't be surprising that their overseas strategy is nonsensical.

"Here's our layout for the next 5 years of Pretty Cure, Super Sentai, and Kamen Rider. How's the other anime?"
"B-Team is on One Piece, D-Team on Sailor Moon Crystal, E-Team on World Trigger, and working around the clock on Digimon Adventure Tri."
"Hi Toei, it's me, Akira Toriyama. I want more Dragon Ball to happen."
"... Are your fucking serious?"
"My inspiration is... SPARKING!"
"... SCRAMBLE!"

EDIT: Apparently World Trigger ended. Huh...

Fairy Tail is actually pretty big among the younger crowds.

I don't get why... it's generic trash.
I hope Black Clover doesn't get an anime, that massive ball of generic is probably going to be seen as next-gen Naruto. Moreso than MHA.

Hasn't Shippuden done consistently better then OP? If they were gonna cut one of those it'd be OP not Shippuden I doubt either is going anywhere.

grandjedi6

[/QUOTE
Nah. Fairy Tail had its chance and that ship sailed. Fairy Tail and Toriko are the only two most requested shows that either didn't make it on the block or got outbidded by a rival service. If there was motivation for it still, we would've gotten it by now.

Plus, Fairy Tail is an A-1 Pictures show so it must be on the Funimation to Aniplex chopping block. Like Birdy, I can't imagine Funimation is too motivated to push it, even if they don't lose it for a few more years.

Seda

Hasn't Shippuden done consistently better then OP? If they were gonna cut one of those it'd be OP not Shippuden I doubt either is going anywhere.

People will argue that Shippuden being in front is actually hurting One Piece's ratings and not One Piece itself because how in the world could Naruto rate better than my favorite show.

Apologies for the snarkiness but I figure Naruto rates better than One Piece simply because it's more generally known among casual audiences, and many One Piece fans don't care about the dub (or the anime?)

Grexeno

Being last on the block does not mean first to be cut. Parasyte got the rerun over Akame because it did better in it's timeslot, even though it never got bumped to before Akame. They also liked it better.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People will argue that Shippuden being in front is actually hurting One Piece's ratings and not One Piece itself because how in the world could Naruto rate better than my favorite show.

Apologies for the snarkiness but I figure Naruto rates better than One Piece simply because it's more generally known among casual audiences, and many One Piece fans don't care about the dub (or the anime?)

Naruto is a much bigger property in the US. It's as simple as that.

Would have been even bigger if both sides hadn't played hardball with the rights to Shippuden though. We'd only be...about a year behind if it had aired on ASA like Bleach the entire time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Naruto wasn't cursed by 4Kids.

Pokemon Survived.

YGO mostly survived.

Turtles Survived.

One Piece...was not strong enough. I mean sure, it sells well on DVD. And does fine in a super late slot on TOONAMI. And the games do well enough for the most part. But nope, cursed!

I'd be willing to give up the amazing Pirate Rap for the timeline where Funimation had the license the entire time and we're only a little bit behind.

grandjedi6

Yea, if any series is getting kicked from Toonami, it will be One Piece.
I mostly assume One Piece is way cheaper than Naruto. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if One Piece was bundled with Dragonball. Toei's done similar before and it would explain that attempt to air One Piece at 8pm with Dragonball ages ago. Otherwise, Toonami has been pretty content with it hanging out with the repeat show at the bottom of the block.

Meanwhile, Naruto is... Naruto. It had to be the most expensive show they liscensed before Dragonball Kai and yet now it hangs out with One Piece at the end of the block. In terms of expectations, they can't be too happy with that.

I don't think either show is going anywhere though.

BatDan

I'd be willing to give up the amazing Pirate Rap for the timeline where Funimation had the license the entire time and we're only a little bit behind.

Don't have to ask me twice.
Also the pirate rap is shit. I will stand by that stance forever. Can't convince me otherwise.
You people claim it's amazing now, but back in 2004, everyone hated it. It was disgusting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If anything is likely stopping Fairy Tail it is probably the cost.

That's a show that does surprisingly well with a female audience or so I've been told. Like you'd expect Inuyasha to do well...but Fairy Tail?

Mizerman

Pokemon Survived.

YGO mostly survived.

Turtles Survived.

One Piece...was not strong enough. I mean sure, it sells well on DVD. And does fine in a super late slot on TOONAMI. And the games do well enough for the most part. But nope, cursed!

To be fair...Nintendo and the Pokemon Company will make sure Pokemon survives, with or without 4Kids helping out.

As for TMNT 2003, it did well enough, but it always got hated on for not being the 1987 TMNT.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Don't have to ask me twice.
Also the pirate rap is shit. I will stand by that stance forever. Can't convince me otherwise.
You people claim it's amazing now, but back in 2004, everyone hated it. It was disgusting.

I claimed it was amazing back then. Because it was. The show is crap, brought over in a package deal with Ultimate Muscle without proper scrutiny and put in the last slot in a Saturday morning block. But that theme? Amazing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Too many good shows on TOONAMI right now. Even Saucekuden will be good for awhile. Need E7AO to remind me of the true meaning of despair.

grandjedi6

That's a show that does surprisingly well with a female audience or so I've been told. Like you'd expect Inuyasha to do well...but Fairy Tail?
Doesn't surprise me. Lots of female characters, lots of romances, lots of male and female fanservice, and the fanservice that does exist tends to be much more... kinkier than your typical shonen "look at these boobs" variety. There's a good reason Fairy Tail is the most popular long running shonen for younger and female audiences.

Grexeno

You know where this is going? It's going somewhere pretty interesting. It's not what I'd call great but it should be consistently...good, for the most part.
I know where it's going, but my question is whether or not the anime will actually perform.

Seda

Random slightly off topic but not totally off topic:

I've had the TV on a lot recently when doing dissertation work (it's nice background white noise) and seen some cable-company provided commercials for the new(ish) Lion King animated kids series and the animation there is more than terrible.

I think the target audience is like pre school but still

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It'll stay that way until Kakashi Chronicles

Friendly reminder that the way the anime handles this is actually far superior to the manga.

And it's mainly because of the order in which events happen. Tobi being introduced first in the anime just plain works better instead of people reading the manga who put two and two together to reach four.

grandjedi6

Random slightly off topic but not totally off topic:

I've had the TV on a lot recently when doing dissertation work (it's nice background white noise) and seen some cable-company provided commercials for the new(ish) Lion King animated kids series and the animation there is more than terrible.

I think the target audience is like pre school but still
It airs on Disney Junior so it's target audience is 5 year olds. I don't think any show puts effort into animation until the target audience is at least 8.

BatDan

Friendly reminder that the way the anime handles this is actually far superior to the manga.

And it's mainly because of the order in which events happen. Tobi being introduced first in the anime just plain works better instead of people reading the manga who put two and two together to reach four.

And then Kishi tries to throw a wrench and say he's really Madara, and say that for years, but then imply "no it's not" and then the real Madara shows up and... it turns out the answer was four all along. That really didn't need to be dragged out for years

It airs on Disney Junior so it's target audience is 5 year olds. I don't think any show puts effort into animation until the target audience is at least 8.

Unless you're Sesame Street, but they have standards.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hey guys, guess what came out yesterday...

CaIHE3i.jpg

the Citizens Kane of H Games

There's a whole category of h games/borderline h games where the writing was good enough that they just removed the h and released them as regular games/anime/manga series.

Seda

There's a whole category of h games/borderline h games where the writing was good enough that they just removed the h and released them as regular games/anime/manga series.

I don't care much for visual novels, but I've had it explained to me that a few are basically full and good stories, with a random sex scene or two that are forcibly inserted in places such that if you removed those scenes you would have no idea they were there in the first place. The analogy was that they were like dance/musical numbers in bollywood movies - appearing at random and then things proceeding as if they never happened - but I don't know how good that analogy is.

Seda

I rewatched the first episode of Gundam IBO. I wanted to make sure I get the set up for the characters and factions nailed down to hopefully prevent confusion later on.

Orga (group leader), Mikazuki, Biscuit, and Eugene are soldiers of the Chryse Guard Security (pronounced KREE-say) within the Chryse Autonomous Region on Mars. They are part of the "third group" which seems to be the child-soldier slave type branch that CGS uses as pawns. There are also two younger members that don't do as much fighting,Takaki (blond hair with black stlyized back or something) and Danji, who died, rip. There's also Akihiro, a bigger dude who is less friendly with the other main four.

Kudelia Bernstein is the prime minister's daughter heading to Earth to lobby for the independence of Mars.

The Gjallarhorn are the military "peace keepers". I'm not sure the full hierarchy yet, but a main player seems to be Major Mcgillis (blondie, voiced by Steve Staley) and his lackey Gaelio. Three officers were sent to Mar to destroy the CGS base: Orlis who was probably killed at the end of the episode, the older Crank and younger Ein.

We also see two characters at 'Haba's Store' on Mars, a shopkeeper woman and young girl, unnamed for now.

This post was mostly for myself but maybe the notes are helpful to other first time watchers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't care much for visual novels, but I've had it explained to me that a few are basically full and good stories, with a random sex scene or two that are forcibly inserted in places such that if you removed those scenes you would have no idea they were there in the first place. The analogy was that they were like dance/musical numbers in bollywood movies - appearing at random and then things proceeding as if they never happened - but I don't know how good that analogy is.

Correct. It's happened a couple of times now and the analogy of turning a good drama/comedy musical into a regular movie by removing said content is apt.

In Fairy Tail, a fair chunk of the most powerful characters are women, there is a lot of romance-that-doesn't-actually-develop-except-sometimes, the characters are generally charming and decently varied, and there is a lot of anime-style comedy. Plus, while people generally talk about the female fanservice, there are also a lot of bishounen and a decent amount of fujoshi-pandering.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In Fairy Tail, a fair chunk of the most powerful characters are women, there is a lot of romance-that-doesn't-actually-develop-except-sometimes, the characters are generally charming and decently varied, and there is a lot of anime-style comedy. Plus, while people generally talk about the female fanservice, there are also a lot of bishounen and a decent amount of fujoshi-pandering.

It's less that I'm surprised it does well in those demos in Japan and more that it does that well in those demos over here! It makes sense given all the reasons presented by you and Jedi, and I've thought along those lines myself.

Josh5890

I rewatched the first episode of Gundam IBO. I wanted to make sure I get the set up for the characters and factions nailed down to hopefully prevent confusion later on.

Orga (group leader), Mikazuki, Biscuit, and Eugene are soldiers of the Chryse Guard Security (pronounced KREE-say) within the Chryse Autonomous Region on Mars. They are part of the "third group" which seems to be the child-soldier slave type branch that CGS uses as pawns. There are also two younger members that don't do as much fighting,Takaki (blond hair with black stlyized back or something) and Danji, who died, rip. There's also Akihiro, a bigger dude who is less friendly with the other main four.

Kudelia Bernstein is the prime minister's daughter heading to Earth to lobby for the independence of Mars.

The Gjallarhorn are the military "peace keepers". I'm not sure the full hierarchy yet, but a main player seems to be Major Mcgillis (blondie, voiced by Steve Staley) and his lackey Gaelio. Three officers were sent to Mar to destroy the CGS base: Orlis who was probably killed at the end of the episode, the older Crank and younger Ein.

We also see two characters at 'Haba's Store' on Mars, a shopkeeper woman and young girl, unnamed for now.

This post was mostly for myself but maybe the notes are helpful to other first time watchers.

I'm going to rematch it before tomorrow night but this will help. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom