• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, you could make an enjoyable action fanservice wrestling anime.

Boy did the makers of Strongest in the World! fail in that regard though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
We probably would've gotten Ghost in the Shell Arise by now had Funimation dubbed the TV version too instead of just the OVAs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
ain't nobody got time for the Gatchaman Crowds dub

seriously, holy crap, Sentai, why the hell did you go with that voice

Moaradin

Sentai can totally ruin Gatchaman Crowds. Especially if Hajime sounds like that.

I'm fine with not having any more Sentai dubs for a while.

I think for a show thats really focused on women the best you could get is something directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara, but he's only directed four things.

- Various Sailor Moon episodes/series
- Revolutionary Girl Utena. Really famous and fantastic show but would need a re-dub. The dub that exists is beyond god awful.
- Mawaru Penguindrum. Dubbed, recent-ish.
- Yuri Kuma Arashi. Yeah good luck showing a show called Lesbian Bear Storm.

It depends on what they want though, probably just something where the main character is a woman.

grandjedi6

OH GOD WHAT IF WE GET THAT!?
Cheap? Check
Female lead? Check
Dub available? Check
Action show? Check
Popular enough? Check
Not already wrapped up with Hulu, Amazon or Netflix? Check

Enjoy your next Sentai show on Toonami. I bet they are already messaging Demarco about it.

"Lesbian Bear Storm" is the best out-of-context title for any show I've ever heard.

It's not even that out of context. There are lesbians. There are bears. There is a storm coming. The magical girl transformation involves nude women licking honey off the stamen of a flower coming out of the crotch regions of another girl. The deepest metaphors.

If it was anyone but Ikuhara...

HxH is just about the most male dominated shonen I've seen. I can count the female characters on one hand...maybe two.

Unless you count the dudes that look like ladies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If they were feeling extra bold they would pick up Madoka Magicka.

Based on pedigree and US reaction its the most likely female dominated show outside of Sailor Moon to be considered. After that its difficult. I'd just barely classify Haruhi as action-ish. Definitely popular enough to be considered borderline.

I think its pretty damn safe to assume My Hero Academia is coming. Like as safe as Dimension W. That's the only show I'd mark as a definite.

Other then that - Psycho-Pass and Gatchaman Crowds, not counting older shows or shows that have already been on Toonami, either now or in the past. I'd say Madoka but thats been floating on the maybe list for years now. Madoka definitely has the pedigree to draw curious eyes to it, so if they were to take a chance that would be the show. It's a pretty good show, too. I'm not in love with it but there's way worse shit they've picked before.

grandjedi6

Yep theres still quite the gap for the male representation, but it's surprisingly a lot better then you'd expect when it comes to being known or having a higher place in the industry. It's the same for manga - by and large manga for women are written and drawn by women. Of course the adverse is true, and thats where Toonami's problem lies.
Pretty much. The type of show Toonami wants is squarely in the shonen category.

They said fan reaction is mixed maybe they dodge a bullet they dunno since they haven't seen Crystal but that netflix (supposed to be Hulu) got it and did nothing with it. Nothing about what they said on pre-flight indicated to me they wouldn't air Crystal if they got it, just that fan reaction is mixed which I mean Dragon Ball Super has mixed fan reaction and you know they'll air it when they can.
True. I'm still of the opinion though that we'll never see anything Sailor Moon related.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's not even that out of context. There are lesbians. There are bears. There is a storm coming. The magical girl transformation involves nude women licking honey off the stamen of a flower coming out of the crotch regions of another girl. The deepest metaphors.

SYMBOLISM!!!

..................also uh, need to check some scenes out from this show brb

I mean it seems like a good place to put a Log Horizon or an Ushio & Tora.
I still can't believe Log Horizon hasn't been on Toonami yet. Seems like it'd do fine if we got SAO being similar.

I think its pretty damn safe to assume My Hero Academia is coming. Like as safe as Dimension W. That's the only show I'd mark as a definite.
Oh absolutely. Not to mention it's just about done, so it could work as Champloo's replacement.

Mizerman

Subtlety!

I think MHA missed it window of opportunity to be honest.

Not really I mean yeah it missed the window to be a simuldub premier but there's no reason Toonami can't acquire it in a year or two ideally when a second season is out. I mean Michiko and Hatchin was a premier for a show that aired in 2009 so we have quiet a bit of wiggle room of shows that Toonami could potentially acquire.

The big question at this point is what replaced Champloo since every other slot on the block is locked up for the foreseeable future.

Another problem is Toonami doesn't exactly have the pull required to have things made available to them that wouldn't be otherwise. They can't really shell out some cash to make a dub or have a dub come faster.

Aside from special cases like Space Dandy, which turned out to be a great show. I'm sure Samurai Jack's return will be good as well.

SYMBOLISM!!!

..................also uh, need to check some scenes out from this show brb

Subtlety!

It's exactly how it sounds, but Ikuhara's shows are far more mature about sexuality then like...anything. 90% of media about sexuality is "heh boobs" but Utena is some real-ass shit. I think I actually learned more watching that show then in the admittedly few feminist/transgender/female sexuality texts and books I've read.

Yurikuma is a good show but it feels like it needed 26 episodes. The first 3-4 episodes in particular are kinda weak and fast, and even at its best there are single episodes of Utena better then all of YuriKuma. I'll watch Penguindrum someday

I think MHA missed it window of opportunity to be honest.

I don't think so, especially since there'll be a S2 coming soon.

It's proooooooooobably about time for the Ushio & Tora dub to surface.

Ushio and Tora would be a good fit. They could market it as a classic 90s shonen lost in time, because thats what it feels like - for good and bad. It's certainly enjoyable.

More to the point MHA is I would imagine the type of show they are not looking for right now.

I mean you can try and justify MHA not coming to block since you think it's over rated all you want but the fact is it'll probably air on Toonami maybe not this year but I wouldn't bet against it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Why? It's a popular weekly shonen jump series by BONES. Seems like exactly the kind of show they would want.

Exactly and that brings thing back to why Toonami is potentially vetting a female focused show of some type. They have four shonen jump programs right now and it seems they want to have some diversity in their product mix.

grandjedi6

Solution: cancel Shippuden. Then we have two blocks open.

We're probably stuck with it for 1.5 more years based on the prior Disney acquisition

Exactly and that brings thing back to why Toonami is potentially vetting a female focused show of some type. They have four shonen jump programs right now and it seems they want to have some diversity in their product mix.

Just because they say they are looking for a female focused show doesn't mean they would turn down what would be an obvious slam dunk. That and the Funi -> Toonami pipeline seems to be in pretty good shape.

Ushio & Tora looks like complete doo-doo.

It's not. It's a shonen ass shonen. Nothing really remarkable about it, nothing too bad about it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Guess what Naruto fans, we're starting the final arc in Japan!"
"YAAAY!"
"Oh wait, we have more filler. Here you go."
"MOTHERF-"

Also we're still avoiding the elephant in the room - Dragon Ball Super. Still have zero word about whats going on with that from anyone. I still think Toei is gunning for a larger network or an exclusive deal with Netflix or Hulu, but they've been holding their cards for a bit too long now. It's almost been a full year.

Grexeno

Also we're still avoiding the elephant in the room - Dragon Ball Super. Still have zero word about whats going on with that from anyone. I still think Toei is gunning for a larger network or an exclusive deal with Netflix or Hulu, but they've been holding their cards for a bit too long now.
It wouldn't have happened until after the Buu arc anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also we're still avoiding the elephant in the room - Dragon Ball Super. Still have zero word about whats going on with that from anyone. I still think Toei is gunning for a larger network or an exclusive deal with Netflix or Hulu, but they've been holding their cards for a bit too long now. It's almost been a full year.

They've been on larger platforms in the US and it didn't do as well as CN.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Just because they say they are looking for a female focused show doesn't mean they would turn down what would be an obvious slam dunk. That and the Funi -> Toonami pipeline seems to be in pretty good shape.

I can't rule it out but I don't think it is a slam dunk either given the potential white noise factor involved.

We know Funimation has dubbed the Buu arc and for no reason it's not been revealed, probably because it'll premier this fall on Toonami when Kai ends.

grandjedi6

I honestly think we're stuck with it until TOONAMI ends or it does.
Depends. I'm sure they'll try to renegotiate the contract when it's up for more favorable terms (it's surely expensive and they can't even reair or marathon anything). If Japan goes with it, yeah, we're stuck with Naruto until the series popularity tanks or Toonami does. But if they still demand the same money, I could see Toonami walking away from it. It's not like it's drawing in the ratings like they hoped.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The running assumption is that they're just waiting for Kai to finish it's run and will announce then. It'll do better if there's more episodes they can air anyway.

Besides, what larger network do they think they'll get? ABC? No matter who picks it up will be putting it on a cable network. If they were looking for an exclusive on Hulu or Netflix it'd have happened already, unless they're asking for more money than god. But if that were the case there's no one that would pay that much without getting in on production and owning part of the rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom