• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have somebody take the time to apply a simple tag than potentially ruin a plot point for a fellow ToonamiGaffer (or guest viewing the thread, hi lurkers). I think the issue is when somebody posts something from the future in a series we're watching, that's vague and doesn't give away any information without proper context, but then somebody complains. Really, it's a tough thing to regulate and I don't have much of an opinion on where the line should be drawn so I'll leave that up to Seda and be okay with whatever he deems appropriate.

RedBoot

As far as spoilers go, I'm actually right smack dab in the middle of watching Durarara for the first time (watched through ep12, taking a break since that seems to be the end of an arc), so there are people out there who haven't watched everything, no matter how old or "public knowledge" it may seem.

On the other hand, the spoilers were clearly marked, so I was able to safely scroll past the post. So it's fine. Like many things in life, you just have to be considerate. Mark your spoilers clearly, and everyone will be dandy.

I do think this thread gets out of hand sometimes. I always get worried about people posting manga spoilers for stuff like Soul Eater and Blue Exorcist. I'm fully caught up on One Piece, but if I wasn't, I'd probably be annoyed with all the stuff that gets posted for that. In fact, I read the official Viz Manga Weekly Jump, which despite being a simul-print, is actually 3-4 days behind the leaked scanlations, so I've actually had the next week's One Piece chapter spoiled in here before. That's probably a bit much.

I'd rather have somebody take the time to apply a simple tag than potentially ruin a plot point for a fellow ToonamiGaffer (or guest viewing the thread, hi lurkers). I think the issue is when somebody posts something from the future in a series we're watching, that's vague and doesn't give away any information without proper context, but then somebody complains. Really, it's a tough thing to regulate and I don't have much of an opinion on where the line should be drawn so I'll leave that up to Seda and be okay with whatever he deems appropriate.

I generally always try to spoiler tag and clearly indicate what series on the block its a spoiler for. I think for anything that has aired on Toonami in the past 2-3 years or is currently airing thats fair. If we know someone is watching it and actively trying to catch up or complete an old toonami series it should be courtesy to spoil tag things for them.

On the topic of DRRR, I've not seen it and my phone doesn't auto load pictures, but I'm sure were I on my computer and if those images did contain even a hint of spoilers it'd hurt my enjoyment when I watch drrr s1 to be ready for s2 because I have a good memory for even subtle things that will eventually be a spoiler like seeing who the straw hats are when first starting op or knowing who the villain in the soul society arc is from seeing images of him looking evil.

Jintor

I don't really feel it was that mindfucky because it was so self-contained and, given the type of show Dandy is, there weren't any real stakes. I'd classify it more as 'weird'.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And now an excerpt from Durarara!! volume 4.

Kururi shushed her sister and took a step towards Aoba, her eyes still fixed on the ground.

She said only two words to the boy who was about the same height as she was.

"I'm indebted... (to you.)"

Raising her face and closing the distance, she covered Aoba's lips with her own.

<Hhhh?>

Aoba's mind turned blank at the incomprehensible situation, and could do nothing but look as Kururi, cheeks flushed, pulled herself away. But the situation was just about to get even more incomprehensible.

As Kururi retreated back behind, Mairu stepped forward as if to take her sister's place and suddenly pulled Aoba into a powerful embrace followed by a deep kiss.

<!? !? !? !?>

The female and male roles looked decidedly reversed - an impression not helped at all by Aoba's rather childlike facial features. Aoba's mind was again reduced to a state of blankness; as he stared at Mairu, however, the latter had already resumed her chirping without even blushing.

"Yay I did it! Indirect kiss with Kuru! Heehee!"

She let go of Aoba and continued in a tone as if nothing had happened.

"Sorry! It's a little surprising to be treated like this by girls who aren't even your girlfriend, isn't it! But don't be fooled by Kuru's looks, she's actually even more aggressive than I am!"

"That's... not true..."

lLGKsTS.png

Maybe 'mindfucked' wasn't the best word choice; lurking the thread last weekend and on Monday, it seemed like a lot of people in here were confused and didn't have a clear grasp on what the heck they just watched. The pacing and narrative structure were a radical departure from what we're used to in my opinion.

Here's the extended promo for episode 12 of Space Dandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMj3cJXQARg&feature=youtu.be

Didn't get any replies to my post on episode 11 so I'm going to pimp it out one more time since everyone was left thoroughly mindfucked by it and I'd love to stimulate some discussion.

I think its funny, in the same post where you say you're accepting that Dandy is episodic and has no continuity, you get excited because this show seems to hint at the bigger continuity. Just thought I'd point that out :p

Jintor

I feel like there's only been a few episodes that fit into traditional narrative structure anyway. Mostly Dandy episodes seem to consist of "This. And then this happened. And then this happened. Then this happened. Wasn't that weird?"

I think its funny, in the same post where you say you're accepting that Dandy is episodic and has no continuity, you get excited because this show seems to hint at the bigger continuity. Just thought I'd point that out :p

I'm begrudgingly accepting that there's no continuity and warming up to that kind of series; I still prefer an overarching storyline though!

I feel like there's only been a few episodes that fit into traditional narrative structure anyway. Mostly Dandy episodes seem to consist of "This. And then this happened. And then this happened. Then this happened. Wasn't that weird?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the episode followed a normal progression, ya know? It started in the present with Gel obsessing over a formula and Dandy trying to cash in on a supposed rare alien. When the box was opened we got a film noir filter, signaling a loss of memory, and the crew takes the librarian home where they receive another box. So we jump back to the past (or are we still in the present? Maybe future?) to Dandy and crew back with Scarlett and the box at alien registration. They open, reveal a memory altering VHS, and then set off a format war that destroys the world. I don't know, that seemed a little wacky even for this show. Maybe I'm just over-analyzing though.

I'm begrudgingly accepting that there's no continuity and warming up to that kind of series; I still prefer an overarching storyline though!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope by the end all this talk of Dandy being the chosen one or some kind of over arching story is a troll and all of these adventures are just Dandy doing an Usopp to some chicks at boobies to explain how all this shit happened and he "got better" lol

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope by the end all this talk of Dandy being the chosen one or some kind of over arching story is a troll and all of these adventures are just Dandy doing an Usopp to some chicks at boobies to explain how all this shit happened and he "got better" lol

I actually got mad reading this

Goku-turns-into-super-saiyan-1_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Not every anime needs a overarching story, anime fans have alot of trouble accepting this from what I noticed.

Not every anime needs a overarching story, anime fans have alot of trouble accepting this from what I noticed.

Needs? Absolutely not, that isn't a requirement for a good show. One could debate if an overarching story is more beneficial than not though because without that carrot for the viewer, things such as character development, humor (especially in a comedy driven show like Dandy), music, animation, etc are put under a much larger microscope. Self contained stories also have a much smaller window of opportunity to provide a positive impression, although this can be a double edged sword (Ex. Soul Eater).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Yeah it's weird to me. Most TV I watch is pretty episodic so I'm always confused when people obsess about there not being a long, serialized plot.

It's just different kinds of storytelling, people.

Crocodile

Hey Gucci! Nice to see you back. Your Space Dandy 11 episode write-up was good but I honestly don't have much to add. The strength of that episode was mostly in its direction and atmosphere, not its narrative (which on the first pass was a bit hard for me too follow). From a directional and atmospheric perspective (as well as animation, DEAR GOD was it good) I think the episode succeeded though I would have likely enjoyed it more if the narrative was stronger/more clear. Nonetheless, I strongly appreciate the episode, most episodes of Space Dandy actually, because it does things you just don't see in TV animation very often at all be it from the West or the East.

Most non-comedic anime (even a lot of comedic anime too) in my experience tends to adhere to tight narrative arches with plotlines flowing directly from episode to episode. It's this common narrative structure that I think sharply contrasted anime from a lot of Western animation when anime was first being introduced to the West. Oddly enough the Western animated TV show on the air with new episodes with the tightest narrative is probably Archer or TMNT 2012. Shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show occasionally have back-to-back two partners but the overarching plotlines or distinct character development tends to be more protracted over a season.

Anyway, I think a lot of people who watch a lot of anime but often not a lot of Western animation (I'm not speaking of anyone in particular in this thread) have developed a STRONG preference for tight narratives. Its why you often see so much whining about filler, even in original productions not adapted from manga/novels.

I people are interested in more anime with a more loose narrative structure, watch Mushishi. Season 2 starts next month :)

MikeMyers

So I'm watching to watch FMA 2003 and to be honest so far I agree with BassForever. I think the Shou Tucker storyline was better in the 2009 version, much more grim directing.

Seda

I feel like I should state something about spoilers, because I feel obligated.

I think this thread is mostly good about them actually. Most people will use the tags when talking about events that haven't aired yet. I think they could be more clearly marked though at times. Like, if it's significant spoiler or just vague commentary, or perhaps a general timeline (current arc spoilers, 200 episodes from now spoilers, current Manga spoilers)

Naruto and One Piece are the shows that are a little problematic with them, because each show has plenty of people 'rewatching'. Let me reiterate that I think the thread is pretty good with the tags, generally speaking, most of the time. First of all, I'll say new moves and new outfits are about the tamest of spoilers. But anything involving character motives, plot revelations, and certainly deaths should absolutely be tagged and marked. Someone asked last week if they really had to tag spoilers for a show considering how far 'behind' Toonami is. The answer is yes for the things I mentioned. The shows are 'new' to several people, just be courteous. People who care about spoilers will avoid your tags, people who don't will read them anyways, it's not that hard.

The spoiler last week that people weren't careful with was

Vague current Shippuden arc spoilers:

Sasori's true form
. It hasn't been revealed yet, so just be safe and tag it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Don't forget the random super BDFF spoiler. ;____________;
I WAS ONLY ON CHAPTER 1. Now why am I gonna play the game? GAMEPLAY?!!?

No seriously, be careful for random spoilers for other animes, video games (especially if they're relatively new since we all play at different speeds due to life), etc. There's times I wanna make a reference to another anime, but decide against it because I know it's something that happens later in the series & don't want to spoil it. I always ask myself "Would posting this spoil a future event, character or story arc, be too much of a tease/hint, etc.?" before tagging/posting a spoiler.

& just a FYI, with the exception of knowing that certain characters appear in the future thanks to Pirate Warriors 2 (& even then, I don't know what arcs they'll appear or what they do in said arcs), I'm just as in the dark when it comes to One Piece's plot since I haven't seen or read anything past where we are on Toonami.

I'm reading through the Titanfall delay thread on the gaming side and sheesh, people can be pretty mean to other users. I don't post on that part of the board very often but that will probably change once I get my PS4; is it always nasty over there? I'm hoping it'll mellow out once the 'console warz' thing ends.

Back on topic, do we have any idea when the Space Dandy replacement is getting announced? I tried to look at the TV listings but it only goes until Monday 3/31. Attack on Titan is the favorite, right? Any clue on when Dandy would return?

I'm reading through the Titanfall delay thread on the gaming side and sheesh, people can be pretty mean to other users. I don't post on that part of the board very often but that will probably change once I get my PS4; is it always nasty over there? I'm hoping it'll mellow out once the 'console warz' thing ends.

Back on topic, do we have any idea when the Space Dandy replacement is getting announced? I tried to look at the TV listings but it only goes until Monday 3/31. Attack on Titan is the favorite, right? Any clue on when Dandy would return?

These seem like the most likely scenarios

1- Dandy repeats in that slot, s2 simulairs in the summer, AoT replaces it in the fall or is Bleach's replacement

2- AoT takes over Dandy's spot, Dandy slides down to 2:30 to repeat bumping naruto and gits down and bumping fma:b out of the line up. Line up shuffles again in the summer when its time for dandy s2 to simulair

I imagine next week if it doesn't leak saturday they'll announce when AoT is gonna air on Toonami at anime con even if its not for awhile

These seem like the most likely scenarios

1- Dandy repeats in that slot, s2 simulairs in the summer, AoT replaces it in the fall or is Bleach's replacement

2- AoT takes over Dandy's spot, Dandy slides down to 2:30 to repeat bumping naruto and gits down and bumping fma:b out of the line up. Line up shuffles again in the summer when its time for dandy s2 to simulair

I imagine next week if it doesn't leak saturday they'll announce when AoT is gonna air on Toonami at anime con even if its not for awhile

I really wonder what kind of budget DeMarco has; AoT is going to be expensive but would probably put up ratings the equivalent of Space Dandy or higher. There's no way of telling if they have (or had) the money to go and grab it for an April premier.

I'm going to guess that option 2 is the most likely but would gladly eat crow if it meant AoT coming to the block in a couple of weeks. I guess we'll find out here soon although DeMarco has sworn to prevent any leaks after the last spoiler.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Becareful of that most OP manga/anime thread obviously for spoilers that arent spoilered black bars, and my meakabox shilling

daveo42

Banned
Toonami |Mar14| Boats, Babes, Bitches, Brothers, and Bleeps all at your disposal

Edit: Or just cut off that last bit at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom