• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mvwnc4z94d1rmzd9bo1_500.gif

Zonic, why?

Hey, I decided against posting the final J-Stars trailer considering of the 4 OP characters that're in, 2 of them are ones we haven't met yet, which I KNEW would have resulted in spoilersno.gif.

It doesn't take much for Kakashi sensei to appear in this thread screaming about spoilers

Hey, I decided against posting the final J-Stars trailer considering of the 4 OP characters that're in, 2 of them are ones we haven't met yet, which I KNEW would have resulted in spoilersno.gif.

and when you consider that Luffy is the only actual Straw Hat, it puts into perspective how bizarre the character selection is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
and when you consider that Luffy is the only actual Straw Hat, it puts into perspective how bizarre the character selection is.
Yeah, it's rather surprising that another crew member didn't even make it as a support character. Though I recall hearing something about a popularity poll that most likely narrowed the selection down. Plus OP got the most representatives with 4 playable characters (DBZ has 3), so that probably played a part as well.

Really want to import the game, but my budget is tight & I wanna see what comes of that "Awakened Legends Vs" URL that Namco registered, considering Unlimited World Red's URL was registered at the same time.

It doesn't have Zoro? The fuck?
Most likely, other OP characters will appear in the story mode. All I know is, there's a scene where Luffy meets some of the Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo cast (Beauty, Jelly Jiggler, & Gasser) & I want to know what happens.

MikeMyers

DB has 4 if you count Arale, I mean she did show up in Movie 3 and the RRA arc.

So how does it work? Every character gets a story mode?

Yeah, it's rather surprising that another crew member didn't even make it as a support character. Though I recall hearing something about a popularity poll that most likely narrowed the selection down. Plus OP got the most representatives with 4 playable characters (DBZ has 3), so that probably played a part as well.

Really want to import the game, but my budget is tight & I wanna see what comes of that "Awakened Legends Vs" URL that Namco registered, considering Unlimited World Red's URL was registered at the same time.

this is what happens when you let popularity polls decide absolutely anything.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
DB has 4 if you count Arale, I mean she did show up in Movie 3 and the RRA arc.

So how does it work? Every character gets a story mode?
There's a main mode called "J-Adventure" which has four different storylines. Basically, from what I understand, everyone's in it, so either certain battles require specific characters or you can just choose whoever. So stuff like Luffy, Ace, & Saint Seiya appear in Dr. Slump's world talkin' to Norimaki can happen.

Everyone does have a specific "Victory Road" which is similar to Jump Ultimate Stars, where you clear stages with certain goals, like within a time limit, doing so many certain attacks, etc.

Guys, SAO is about to become a reality!

Combine Project Morpheus with Vitality Sensor!

Speaking of which, did you guys hear that SAO II is confirmed to hit the air in Japan this July? Not sure if that's noteworthy or not; I'd provide a link but I'm at work right now and don't want my employers thinking I'm into animated cross dressing teens.

RedBoot

The One Piece character selection sort of makes sense if you consider it as representing a specific story arc, which Luffy and the other three characters were all very prominent in. The thing is, both the manga and the anime are years past that arc, so it's weird that they'd decide to highlight it specifically (outside of it being a particularly important arc).

Personally, I would have gone with Luffy, Zoro, Nami, and Blackbeard. It's a set much more representative of OP as a whole, like the DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach character selections.

Speaking of which, did you guys hear that SAO II is confirmed to hit the air in Japan this July? Not sure if that's noteworthy or not; I'd provide a link but I'm at work right now and don't want my employers thinking I'm into animated cross dressing teens.

Heard about that the other day. July, huh? I can't wait for the almost-simulcast of the dub on Toonami, starting in August after Bleach ends! :p

Did you talk about the last One Piece yet? I noticed some people thought the pacing was meh and wanted to comment on the episode when I get home in ~30 minutes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_n2n5znXQmJ1srv4plo1_500.png

THE REVIVAL OF THE BLUE SQUARES IS IMMINENT

GET HYPE

i don't know why he's wearing nail polish though

fricking fanart

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"Hoshikage, The Buried Truth"

YmYzvpll.jpg

Give it up Neji, Naruto is clearly dead. Can't see any signs of life with his magic eyes. Akahoshi is behind him with his beast still ready. Neji asks why he hit Naruto too. The beast is about to strike Neji who is ready for it...but then he puts it away. It was an accident, he had to strike when he had the chance. Sorry about your friend, a tragic loss. He had never seen anyone defeat Ninja Art: Kujaku before. He tells him that his mission is over and he's no longer needed here. Neji notes that they haven't recovered the star but the Deputy says they will handle it themselves.

VcdJJRel.jpg

Oh, Naruto is alive. She probably used the same trick that kept Sumaru alive through the poison. She uses some star chakra to revive him. Naruto is shook when he sees her but she identifies herself as a friend. He wants to know who saved him after they got knocked off the cliff, was it you? Yes, cue FLASHBACK. She made wings, caught him with a hulk hand, brought him to her and flew off. Whatever, it's all a big blur to Naruto but he's glad he's alive and thanks her. His name is Naruto, he's from the leaf and well, he's here to look at that there star you kinda stole. No offense. She laughs and then he does. She introduces herself as Natsuhi. That sounds awfully familiar...Natsuhiboshi flashback. That's what Sumaru called the star that watches over and protects him. She's touched! Sumaru said that? Naruto asks if she knows him and she whips out her pendant. He is...my son! Get out of here!

7gInXool.jpg

Meanwhile the villains have made a not so shocking discovery; Sumaru is gone! One of the medical ninja begs forgiveness, he thought the sedatives would last for hours. The deputy's eyes glow purple. The Leaf ninja did it. The two flunkies are worried that the whole scheme will be laid out to the village and that they have to kill the Leaf ninja before it's too late. Stop panicking, once we get the star back everything will fall into place. The lackeys are pleased with this and suggest that they'll send word to the Leaf that their ninjas died fulfilling the mission and maybe they can convince Sumaru it was all a dream or something. Akahoshi has Natsuhi's chakra implanted in his memory and can follow it back to the star.

daFykPyl.jpg

Back at the training hut Neji is telling the trainees the story. Naruto was knocked off the cliff with the kunoichi who stole the star, but he didn't see any sign of them when he looked. Hokuto is glad and thinks they might have made it to the forest just beyond and attempts to rally the trainees to search. They mumble and grumble and eventually offer that they should wait for orders from Akahoshi. Hokuto says that Naruto is in trouble and he helped them all. Mizura starts to get up and says he's got to be of some use. Just then a voice from the door volunteers to go. It's Sumaru. Lee and Twenty found him at the Hoshikage's house heavily sedated. Also the ninja who took the star and knocked them all out (well, the second time) wasn't from some other village. No indeed, it was not, it was Akahoshi! The ninja who attacked them and the ninja who stole the star are two different people! "Brilliant Lee" says Tenten sarcastically, "except that Neji already said that." The kids are shook, they want to know why he would do that. Sumaru says he is beginning to suspect Akahoshi of hiding something. Neji tells them the truth; Akahoshi is using all of you. Mizura won't be the only one to get sick or worse. The kids say no, they don't believe them but Hokuto has her eyes opening. Neji says the ninja who stole the star probably has answers for them. Mizura is ready to volunteer to show them the way through the woods but Sumaru stops him, he'll do it. Mizura needs to rest but don't worry, his time will come.

DYFg26ll.jpg

Akahoshi and his goons walk a tight rope across the Valley of Death and he uses his magic eyes to track a flight path of Natsuhi. The gives the signal to his goons when they ask him if he found it and they start running off. Meanwhile Naruto is feeling better and loves any home cooking from a mom, even when its in a cave. She offers seconds and Naruto say sure. Then they get down to the brass tacks, why did she steal the star? In fact this wasn't the first time she stole it, she stole it ten years ago! FLASHBACK.

kQMlRBll.jpg

Even then it was clear that star training was dangerous. Trainees fell ill or worse all the time. She and her husband were the only two to ever complete the training so they decided to steal it and hide it away. Star village tracking ninja, replete with knock off ANBU masks, were assigned to follow them and it wasn't long before they caught up. Suddenly a voice ordered them to stop, it's the third Hoshikage. He calls their actions rash but says he has thought about doing the same thing. He's going to terminate the star training but knows that some people will disagree and will try to continue the star training. He orders them to disappear and keep a watch over the village from a distance, returning if the training ever starts up again. Hotarubi takes his necklace off and gives it to the third saying its for his son Sumaru. His mother tells the third to tell her son that they died when she hands over the star and walks away. The FLASHBACK ends and she reiterates the main point, the third thought that star training's cost outweighed the benefits and stopped training shortly after they left. Neji said the same thing about the damage, is it really that bad? Yes, she says, as it caused the death of her husband shortly after they departed and that the same could happen to her at any time, there's no way of knowing. Naruto, moved by anger, says that they need to return to denounce Akahoshi. She says that his dream of a strong village is more important than their safety and informs Naruto of his hostage plan. Huh, the ninja who kidnapped Sumaru was Akahoshi? Her chakra sense is tingling though. Akahoshi and his henchmen are here. They find the plateau which doubles as Hotarubi's grave. The goons ask him if this is the place and he gets a vision of the moving boulder and her placing the stone with her husband's remains. So that's what she was doing the first time. The star is right here but the enterance is sealed by a boulder. The goon who sounds like Roy Mustang suggests paper bombs. Before they even get to that a horde of Naruto's comes flying in and tells them to forget about it. Eight on three brother. What the. They thought he was lost in the Valley of Death. Ha, takes more than that to get rid of me, or should I say us. Akahoshi steps forward though; the time for henchmen is over. He's going to finish what he began with Ninja Art: Kujaku Beast. The beast keeps eating shadow clones but where is the real one?

WMs6Iqw.gif

Didn't he pull this rock trick last episode? Ohohohohohoho. He was ready for that trick as he sends another beast at him. Natsuhi though prevents that. Yes, she's still alive. She gives him an ultimatum to stop the training and she'll leave forever. He calls her just as stubborn as the third Hoshikage...who he murdered after he wouldn't listen to reason. Him and his goons stabbed him with kunai when he told them the training wouldn't resume while he was alive. Akahoshi cuts a heel promo here saying that they need this training to rival the five great villages and condems the old man to sleep with his ancestors, it's time for a new generation. The lackeys aren't sure what they did was right but Akahoshi laughs that star training will resume. Naruto in real time says he doesn't care about the village and Mizura will die. Akahoshi says this is for the village and that some sacrifices had to be made to keep the village strong. A true shinobi understands that. It's not for the village, it's for you! Natsuhi steps in front of Naruto and says it's not his fight and begins charging up. Akahoshi orders his goons to use their chakra and his beast eats theirs up! He's fully charged after that meal. Naruto tells her to be careful as Team Guy, Sumaru and some of the other trainees approach the fight and the episode ends!

NEXT EPISODE: "Reunion, The Remaining time"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Toonami |Mar14| Bleeps? We have it all!

Toonami |Mar14| Bullets & Bleeps

Toonami |Mar14| Sick with Justice, I just wanna *bleep* you

Toonami |Mar14| 259 Bleeps, *bleep*dammit

Toonami |Mar14| 259 Bleeps, 24 episodes.

Toonami |Mar14| I'm Gonna Be the *bleep* Pirate King

THIRD ONE WINS. HANG IT UP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'M STILL REALLY FUCKING EXCITED YOU GUYS

HAVE SOME FANART

SPOILERS FOR SOME OF THEM

"Does that mean you have some trust in me now?"

"It’s different from real trust… I just felt like I should at least tell you a thing or two about myself to keep my right-hand woman from turning against me."

"Why don’t you just go ahead and die already?"

- Yagiri Namie and Orihara Izaya, Durarara!! x4 Chapter 3

not that i particularly care about spoilers, but if some of those are spoilers shouldn't you make them a link instead of saying there are spoilers so that people know to scroll really really fast if they do care?

Did you talk about the last One Piece yet? I noticed some people thought the pacing was meh and wanted to comment on the episode when I get home in ~30 minutes.

I'll take the zero replies as a "no" and post about it anyway

This arc is really something special and I feel like the episode did an excellent job laying the foundation for what’s to come as we transition out of Water 7 and into the world of CP9. I noticed some people were a little annoyed with the pacing because the whole thing took place inside of Iceberg’s room but I don’t believe that criticism is indicative of the whole picture simply because so much happened in terms of plot and character development.

Right off the bat truth bombs are dropped as Lucci reveals that the shipwrights (except for loud mouth and Paulie) are actually undercover agents working for the world government. This is my second run through of this arc; I knew the megaton was coming on Saturday but it still managed to make my jaw drop…this is a twist that truly comes out of left field; I’m not sure ANYONE saw this coming. I thought the nakama betrayaltron itself was very well executed, and while there was a brief flashback from Paulie, the scene didn’t drag by rehashing old material in an attempt to convey anguish. The writers treated us like adults who are fully capable of understanding the emotional impact being betrayed by your closest allies would have; I’m glad they ditched the obvious “lengthy flashback of our friendship” anime cliche and went in a different direction, letting body language and direct character interaction move the story forward.

That feeling of heart break quickly turned into fear though as we got our first taste of how dangerous CP9 is; the dark, desperate tone of this arc really begins to take root during this episode. One Piece may appear to be a kids show on the surface but then you realize you’re watching a group of domestic terrorists attempt kidnapping, arson, and mass murder all in the name of some twisted sense of justice. This arc in particular blurs the lines of good and evil between this bureaucratic institution meant to maintain order, albeit by questionable means, and a loose conglomerate of thieves whose moral compass doesn’t always point in the same direction. It’ll be interesting to see how Oda runs with this concept and just how wide or narrow the schism becomes in the future.

It was both cool and terrifying to see Lucci reveal his sadistic side which just scrapes the surface of how ruthless CP9, and by extension the world government, can be. These guys managed to make Luffy and Zoro look like scrubs with their hax powers of invincibility. That finger pistol to the throat made me want to gag, can you imagine how much that shit would hurt? Yeesh.

My biggest complaint with this episode was the whole “We can easily kill you but won’t lol” CP9 cop out. I mean, I know the main characters aren’t going to be in any real danger of dying right now but CP9 boasting that they’re going to kill the straw hats, showing off their superior abilities, and then doing jack shit when Luffy and Zoro could be wiped out in 30 seconds flat was kind of dumb. I get that the scene was meant to show off the power gap but don’t dangle the threat of death with these hax characters and then expect me to believe they can’t swiftly murder the crew with their numerical and physical advantage. Also, what was the point in revealing all your abilities? Did Lucci really need to show he has devil fruit abilities? What does purpose does that serve? Intimidation? Blegh. A small complaint, possibly nitpicky but it kind of bugged me. I will also say that the animation looks a little dated but this first aired around 10 years or so ago so it gets a pass in my book.

There wasn’t a ton going on in this episode but the dialogue and character interaction made it extremely compelling. Can’t wait for next week even though I already know what is going to happen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
not that i particularly care about spoilers, but if some of those are spoilers shouldn't you make them a link instead of saying there are spoilers so that people know to scroll really really fast if they do care?

Weeeeellllllllllllll they're spoilers for a four-year old show that already aired on AS. Not much about them is spoilery about the upcoming series... I think... Other than maybe
Izaya's sisters
being a big focus.

Heh I just remembered their
double kiss with Aoba.
I really wanna see it come to Toonami, dem reactions... lawd.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Even if it does get dubbed I doubt they can reassemble the same cast.

I'll be watching it as it comes out (fingers crossed for Crunchyroll!) but that'd be a damn shame, the English cast was so good. Anybody other than JYB as Izaya and Crispin Freeman as Shizuo would just feel wrong

mcxc check your pms

Also as I said before the last time we had this discussion, a lot of the ground work you and I and other OP fans on a rewatch are getting excited for is because we know where its going and how it pays off. First time viewers don't have that yet and just half "here is an info dumb on the bad guys and their abilities get wrecked good guys" and "luffy and robin argue past each other for reasons" and those reasons while known to you and I are still a mystery.

Best suggestion is to tell people to be patient and stick with it, or just say fuck it and marathon the rest of the canon episodes in the cp9 arc if you can't wait which you and lazybones couldn't do. Its especially frustrating when first timers ask questions and you just want to scream the answer or what its hinting at but can't

its my made up phrase (that i picked up from somewhere) from the growing obsession of everything and anything to do with a show being deemed spoilers and the fixation on avoiding said spoilers without actually even thinking of how said thing is actually relevant to the enjoyment/plot of the show. I mean yea sure that episode of XYZ that happened last year/week I can understand, or things that actually treated as plot twists within a show or big overarching surprises. But we have reached a point a show can be a decade old and reran multiple times and someone will still call you out on "spoiling" something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom