• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember McXC don't let this be you

anotheronebitesthebanhkir1.gif

Tenumi

Banned
Bring this show to Toonami, Demarco

I'd watch it. I'd watch it all day long.

Ratings are in!

SATURDAY, MARCH 15, 2014
11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.099 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.088 million viewers
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.024 million viewers
1:00AM One Piece 0.7 HH, 964,000 viewers
1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.7 HH, 955,000 viewers
2:00AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 871,000 viewers
2:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 673,000 viewers
3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.5 HH, 629,000 viewers
3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 692,000 viewers
4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.5 HH, 619,000 viewers
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.5 HH, 680,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.6 HH, 837,000 viewers
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.5 HH, 690,000 viewers

So close... Ah, at least the drop-offs weren't bad during premieres.

Also, Welcome back!

ckohler

The line between interesting premiers and uninteresting repeats is pretty glaring.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having older shows on Toonami but everything in the second half aside from Clone Wars (which is the only one doing well) is stuff Toonami has been re-airing for too long.

In the very least, having OG Naruto at the 2:30 mark is pretty much an invitation for people to stop watching.

The line between interesting premiers and uninteresting repeats is pretty glaring.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having older shows on Toonami but everything in the second half aside from Clone Wars (which is the only one doing well) is stuff Toonami has been re-airing for too long.

In the very least, having OG Naruto at the 2:30 mark is pretty much an invitation for people to stop watching.

Ghost in the Shell and Samurai Jack are making their first ever runs on toonami. GitS ran on Adult Swim action before but that was nearly a decade ago; Jack was a CN original series that ended in 2004, although re-runs have (and continue) to air on sister channel boomerang which reaches a limited number of US homes (not exactly sure how many, but it's a relatively small amount). I'm okay with Toonami bringing these shows back; they haven't run on the channel in a long time and are cheap (free in the case of Jack).

OG Naruto gets very solid ratings for a 2:30AM show and the brand is pretty popular here in the US; people generally don't tune out when it comes.

The only show that I agree has been running too long is FMA Brotherhood, this it it's fourth run I think? Eh, it still is rating well for a show at the back end of the block and there are still first time watchers popping up in the thread. Heck, last run through was my first time seeing the series but I can sympathize with those who have viewer fatigue.

All in all the 11:30-2AM premiere portion is what matters; that's where the advertisers, and the network, make their money. The back end of the block matters much less to be perfectly frank from what I understand.

EDIT: Cartoon Network/Adult Swim reaches approximately 98 million US households (~86%). The numbers for Boomerang aren't available but by comparing similar sister cable networks such as Nicktoons, Disney Jr, and The Hub; I think a fair estimate would be that it reaches 65,000-70,000 US households (57-61%). This is based off of data from 2013.

ckohler

Ahh, I thought GitS had been on Toonami before. I get Toonami and Adult Swim action mixed up sometimes. Still, GitS has been on late night Cartoon Network for a while now, hasn't it?

My point is that while it may not be 100% possible, I would prefer Toonami try to add more variety to both halves of their time block. The first half is great! All new shows (both to Toonami and Cartoon Network in general). The second half is just the same late night stuff that's aired on Cartoon Network for some time already. Even if they brought in some older, action anime from the past at least it would be fresher than the same late night stuff they've been airing.

Ahh, I thought GitS had been on Toonami before. I get Toonami and Adult Swim action mixed up sometimes. Still, GitS has been on late night Cartoon Network for a while now, hasn't it?

My point is that while it may not be 100% possible, I would prefer Toonami try to add more variety to both halves of their time block. The first half is great! All new shows (both to Toonami and Cartoon Network in general). The second half is just the same late night stuff that's aired on Cartoon Network for some time already. Even if they brought in some older, action anime from the past at least it would be fresher than the same late night stuff they've been airing.

GitS first aired from November 2004-May 2005. It might have gotten a second run but after 2006 I'm pretty sure it went on the shelf until last year. Since Adult Swim helped finance production on the series they have the rights for life; it costs them nothing to air so they can put more money towards new acquisitions.

I get what you're saying and agree; it would be nice to have more variety at the back end but old programming seems to be a necessary evil.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
GITS has run over and over again on Adult Swim. It's a constant mainstay. It was also a part of the inaugural [as] Toonami block in 2012.

However, a batch of GITS episodes has never appeared on Toonami before. Conveniently enough, that batch begins right here where we are now. The episodes that Toonami ran prior to this run were:

GITS 2nd GIG episodes 18-26
GITS SAC episodes 1-19

GITS 19 is also the episode that we saw this past weekend, so technically the next 24 episodes of Ghost in the Shell are new to Toonami.

LOLDSFAN

He's Bach!

Oh and I think these ratings confirm that I kill viewer numbers when I watch. :<

Also, I applied for a job at Nielsen yesterday, fingers crossed that they like my resume and call me in for an interview! I'd be a sales representative in the field, so basically the guy who get families to join the sample size and tracks their viewing habits.

Sounds like something up your alley lol. Good luck.

To be honest I didn't notice the typo until I posted the image here. I clicked the link, saw the image, and didn't need to read anything past that point

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that shows how little attention I paid to ASA once Death Note finished up.

Just going back through my old schedules (now that I'm home), at the time Toonami debuted in May 2012, GITS had been running on Adult Swim continuously, with only a handful of special marathon night interruptions, since November 8, 2008.

And it's worth noting that for much of that time it was running two episodes a night.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GitS never got a full run. Bleach, Bebop, Death Note, Eureka 7, Inuyasha, Lupin III and Case Closed have probably shown more episodes overall but I'm just guessing.

You're wrong. Bebop is the only one that was shown more on Adult Swim Action. Inuyasha is a distant but strong third because there were a few years of ASA where they didn't show it at all.

There's no possibly way even Bleach is close as that mainly ran one episode and almost never ran nightly which Bebop/FMA '03/Inuyasha/GITS has. Lupin III ran nightly but only had two or possibly three runs. Case Closed never even got a full run of its dub. E7 while it had multiple runs never aired Weekly either and did DN even ever complete a second run?

Meanwhile GITS:SAC debuted around the same time FMA '03 did and unlike that show was never replaced by Brotherhood. They aired 2nd GIG as soon as it was dubbed and have shown the complete year run of the show before at least three times. If you count SAC as a separate show (and you could if you wanted to) it's had at least a dozen complete runs of its 26 episodes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
GitS never got a full run. Bleach, Bebop, Death Note, Eureka 7, Inuyasha, Lupin III and Case Closed have probably shown more episodes overall but I'm just guessing.

The Case Closed dub always makes me sad because it got dropped by Funi literally the episode before it really took off. Like if they had done one more episode people would have latched on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How well would case closed have done if it had aired during the 90s weekly toonami as opposed to late night?

It might have done better, but it would have needed A LOT of edits. If they really wanted it to do well over here they'd just skip dubbing the filler and air entire cases at a time. It would massively speed up the pace of the show and make it half as long. They needed to treat it like animated Law and Order, which it is.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Death Note had three full runs, but that's only because they gave it a series of mini-marathons over Holiday '09-10 (4 episodes a week for 4 weeks) to complete its last run as its rights expired.

The Case Closed dub always makes me sad because it got dropped by Funi literally the episode before it really took off. Like if they had done one more episode people would have latched on.

But where would it have aired? Didn't it tank hard on adult swim and dvd sales were terrible too?

bigkrev

They did over 100 episodes. If it takes that long to get "good", it's not their problem

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Death Note had three full runs, but that's only because they gave it a series of mini-marathons over Holiday '09-10 (4 episodes a week for 4 weeks) to complete its last run as its rights expired.

Oh that's right!

It's still nothing on the real long lasting shows like Bebop, GITS:SAC, Inuyasha, FMA '03.

FLCL is still king of runs though. It's been on weekly multiple times and only takes six days to complete...which when shown five days a week doesn't take very long.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If you count SAC as a separate show (and you could if you wanted to) it's had at least a dozen complete runs of its 26 episodes.

In that span of time I mentioned before, from 11/8/08 to 5/26/12 (the start of Toonami), GITS had 4 full runs of its full 52 episode count and was only 9 episodes shy of its 5th full run (which did finish on Toonami). So that's 225 episodes aired in that period of time alone (plus the 28 episodes that aired on Toonami before it left when Inuyasha and some other show I can't remember for the life of me debuted).

That's not counting the four years that GITS was on the air on and off (mostly on) prior to that, during which it frequently aired on weeknights in addition to Saturdays.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Meanwhile, in Japan...

l_532660add0d49_thumb.jpg

Awesome promo for J-Stars Victory Vs. That stand near the bottom has buttons you can press to hear Goku & Luffy say lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom